Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,297 members, 7,943,680 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 09:42 PM

Ekiti 2018: Babafemi Ojudu Speaks On 56th Birthday - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Ekiti 2018: Babafemi Ojudu Speaks On 56th Birthday (421 Views)

Senator Babafemi Ojudu Shines On As An Asset Of Inestimable Value To Ekiti State / Ekiti 2018: Fayose Removes, Tears Ojudu’s Campaign Posters, Billboards / Ekiti 2018: Ojudu Releases People-driven Manifesto (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ekiti 2018: Babafemi Ojudu Speaks On 56th Birthday by IROHINOodua: 10:16am On Mar 27, 2017
Ekiti 2018: Babafemi Ojudu speaks
former Senator says recession coming to and end
By Femi Alufa

Senator Babafemi Ojudu requires no introduction to many of us. He represented Ekiti Central Senatorial District in the Senate between 2011 and 2015. He is currently the Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Political Matters. In this chat, he bares his mind on personal and national issues; life and career at 56, founding of The News and PM News Group with other colleagues,his challenging years during guerilla journalism, active participation in the return of Nigeria to Democracy in 1999, his senate years 2011 to 2015, his current job as Buhari's political adviser and steps to bring the country out of recession and Ekiti 2018 politics.

Questions:
1. It is a pleasure chatting with an illustrious son of Ekiti State, Senator Babafemi Ojudu .Sir,how do you feel at 56?

Ans : I feel good. I am happy and thank God for keeping me alive. Never knew I could live this long. I have gone through a lot, very dangerous situations in the 56 years I have been here.

2.Sir, with the burden of your office,how do you really relax and recharge?

Ans : I tried to have some sleep, not quite adequate. Just enough to keep me healthy. I listen to music and read when I am in a position to do so. I keep abreast of goings on around the world in the areas of politics, entertainment and technology. These are the things that keep me going.

3. What is your philosophy of life ?

Ans: Do those things that make for justice and equity. Fight for those high ideals that enables progress for humanity. Shun material things , don't chase after money and be contented with what you have. Work towards being an oloro and not olola. I hope you understand the difference.

4.Sir,you are one of the founding fathers of The News/PM News group, a very volatile news media during the era of military dictatorship in this country, how would you describe those years of guerrilla journalism in Nigeria as an active participant?

Ans: Very interesting and dangerous at the same time. It was also a very challenging period of my life. We lived as if every day was the last. We took a lot of risks not minding the danger it portends for our lives and that of our family. We were idealists, revolutionaries in a way. We were fearless and were determined to succeed.
Thank God we survived that period.

5.Comparatively, what would you say of politics in Nigeria, when you were a journalist and political activist and now as a former Senator,Presidential adviser and Governorship aspirant?

Ans: Don't know about the governorship aspirant bit but as Senator and Special Adviser I have seen government and governance up close and I am more familiar with the challenges Nigerian leaders face which you cannot appreciate if you are not within the system . There are a lot of forces within the system that do not want Nigeria to work, that do not want our people to live like the rest of humanity. Whatever good idea you bring about to solve the myriads of problems facing our people they will act as stumbling blocks .They frustrate simple solutions to problems out of selfishness ad self centeredness. To succeed you need vigilance, extra dose of determination. You need to close your eyes and deal ruthlessly with those who will deliberately not allow things to work because they want to satisfy their often insatiable taste.

6.What will you consider as a problem with Politics in Nigeria today and especially in your Ekiti home State and your solutions in your own humble way?

Ans: Lack of awareness on the part of the ruled. Sometimes they mistake their friend for their enemy and their enemy for their friend. This is an unfortunate situation. We have to work hard to create a middle class. The middle class in all societies is the engine of change. They are educated, they are enlightened, they understand the working of society and can look into the future and imagine what life will look like if things are properly done. They are the one who can appreciate the ideals of freedom, of dignity, of good environment , of love, of beauty , of aesthetics. The poor lives by and for the day.

7.The present Federal Government is trying in the aspect of Anti- corruption crusade, what are the tangible steps they are taking to bring the country out of recession now?

Ans: By making sure theft of public resources is reduced with the ultimate goal of stamping it out. By ensuring that we produce what we consume and we consume what we produce. If you are going to have taste for rice you must grow it rather than sustaining Thailand farmers on the rice fields with your taste. The government is determined to diversify the economy so that we can escape from the trap of mono economy. Recession will soon end. The crude oil based economy as we have seen now cannot sustain our society. We must go into production, particularly agricultural production. We must invest heavily in our solid minerals sector. We must encourage our young men and women who have gone into the entertainment sector and assist them to export their products so that we can earn foreign exchange therefrom. We must encourage creativity. We must spot talents and invest heavily in them so that they can be inventive. In short we must be competitive in the world market in areas beyond oil.

8.Sir,as a Political Adviser,What is your advice to political aspirants and the good people of Ekiti State pertaining to Ekiti Governorship election in 2018?

Ans: My advise for voters is that they must go for people of ideas and ideals. They must not choose because someone has thrown money at them on the street and buy beer for them. All of those are momentary gains that will leave them the way they are if not worse than the way they were. The Yorubas are what they are today because they had an Awolowo who planned and clinically executed a policy of development. He never paraded beer parlors and Paraga joints to seek vote. He was very meticulous in his planning and clinical in his execution
That is the kind of person and persons we need in Ekiti today to bring us out of the morass we have found ourselves. For the politicians they must not seek cheap popularity. While they need to court the voters they must stay resolute and principled. Leaders chart the path for the people. They thread the path hitherto not paved. An unpopular idea today may be the one many will embrace in future. Awolowo lost an election earlier in his career. His idea of free education and increase in taxation to fund it was not loved initially but look at where it has taken us today

9..Tell us about a time when your judgment has been tested in crisis. What do you want us to appreciate about your judgment?

Ans: I think on my feet and I am very intuitive. I think fast and act fast. On a number of occasions when I have been in danger this has saved me . You will get to read much of that in my autobiography.

10. It is nice having a chat with Senator Ojudu and some say the incoming Governor of Ekiti State at 56. What's your advice to Young journalists and other Start-up media?

Ans: On the governor thing, you are the one saying that. I am contented for now working as Special Adviser. The choice of who becomes Ekiti governor depends on the APC party leadership in Ekiti State and of course the teeming APC members and the people of Ekiti State. I’m contended working with President Mohammed Buhari and serving Nigerians in a unique way. I leave my political future to God and the people. On my advise to media start ups and young journalists I will say keep working at it. Be ethical. Eschew lies and fake news. Credibility matters a lot in journalism. When you lose it you are not worth anything. You also need to realize early enough that if you are looking for money you are in the wrong profession.

(1) (Reply)

Bad News: Naira Suffers Slight Setback In The Black Market…see Current Value / See What A Father Did To Her Daughter For Spending Too Much Time On Social Media / Lai Mohammed Begs TB Joshua Not Leave Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.