Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,498 members, 7,892,040 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 04:23 AM

Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs (775 Views)

List Of States That Can Survive Without Federal Allocation By BudgIT / Forget The Past, Work For Buhari, Sanwo-olu’s Victory, Ambode Urges Epe Division / 14 States Can't Survive Without Federal Allocation- Economic Confidential Magazi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by Blue3k(m): 2:02pm On Mar 27, 2017
By Simon Ebegbulem

BENIN CITY—GOVERNOR Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State weekend said that many states of the federation could no longer survive on allocation from the centre, therefore, urging states to  explore alternative means of funding.

He made this declaration while delivering a convocation lecture titled, “Recession: Challenges and Recovery Prospects” at the Wellspring University, Benin City, Edo State.

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, The governor who was represented by his Commissioner for Finance, Akinyemi Asahde, noted that the nation is blessed with abundant human and natural resources and if properly harnessed by the states would make them less dependent on the Federal Government.

He said:”The current focus on the centre for the economic sustenance of states is not sustainable. Each state or perhaps more appropriately, regions must figure out their own economic path by focusing on the areas they have a comparative advantage and developing it. This calls for hard work by the state governments and thinking outside the box.

“We cannot have a stable economy when the states are not independently viable. Luckily, we are blessed in this country where arguably every state of the federation is endowed with natural resources that can make it self-sustainable.”

“Regional collaboration should also be encouraged, a good example is the collaboration between Lagos State and Kebbi State to produce Lake rice which is currently being sold in the market,” he said.

Earlier, the Vice Chancellor, Professor Obi Ikediugwu in his opening remarks said the lecture was timely considering the current economic situation of the country.

He urged the students to internalize what they have been taught in the lecture.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/stop-relying-federal-allocation-ambode-urges-govs/
Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by ican2020: 2:30pm On Mar 27, 2017
Tell Okowa
Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by tobtap: 2:33pm On Mar 27, 2017
cool cool
Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by Blue3k(m): 3:02pm On Mar 27, 2017
Wise words from the governor. I just wonder how more regional cooperation could happen in SS. Every state has potential for success. Private sector growth is all that needed.

1 Like

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by malaki39: 3:59pm On Mar 27, 2017
Why wouldn't you admonish Governors when you're seating on the sweat of our forefathers?

Go and govern Ebonyi, Osun, Ekiti or Jigawa state then I will take your advice serious.
angry

2 Likes

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by profhezekiah: 4:32pm On Mar 27, 2017
Rogue Thief ambode
Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by Jetleeee: 4:40pm On Mar 27, 2017

1 Like

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by ConqueredWest: 4:43pm On Mar 27, 2017
Blue3k:
Wise words from the governor. I just wonder how more regional cooperation could happen in SS. Every state has potential for success. Private sector growth is all that needed.

If the seaports were in the East, would he have made this comment
Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by Blue3k(m): 5:01pm On Mar 27, 2017
ConqueredWest:

I don't see why not. There's already Seaport projects going on in the other states. Next he mentioned ever states has potential already so I don't think he's worried. There can be multiple deep seaports in a nation without world ending. The country becomes more productive.

Link:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Panamax_ports

2 Likes

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by SalamRushdie: 5:03pm On Mar 27, 2017
I love Ambode but Poor call from Ambode ..Ambode must not forget that Lagos is easily rich just because Nigeria is an import based economy and most of the goods used to sustain 170million Nigerians all come in through the Lagos ports ..In essence we can say that Lagos is the greatest hindrance to the industrialization of other regions because the more underdeveloped other states are the richer Lagos becomes
Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by Jetleeee: 5:04pm On Mar 27, 2017
ConqueredWest:

Ogbeni..charaaap with these Ifs, buts and maybes! Same old excuses

There are 2 seaports in Rivers state. Why y'all aren't using it is like the 8th wonder of the world

Moreover, Lagos doesn't earn chit from her seaports. GLUE THIS AT THE FRONT OF YOUR DOOR

Everything goes to the FA

5 Likes

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by Jetleeee: 5:07pm On Mar 27, 2017
SalamRushdie:
I love Ambode but Poor call from Ambode ..Ambode must not forget that Lagos is easily reach just because Nigeria is an important based economy and most of the goods used to sustain 170million Nigerians all come in through the Lagos ports ..In essence we can say that Lagos is the greatest hindrance to the industrialization of other regions because the more underdeveloped other states are the richer Lagos becomes

You have a point! But you see, it's not Lagos's fault. It's the fault of those states themselves. The administrators especially.

Besides the ports, the major reason why Lagos is thriving is because that's where Nigeria's best brains are. Whose fault is it that other 35 states are losing their human resources to Lagos? In fact, one of the biggest losers is Ibadan and she has herself to blame. Ibadan had the best brains in the SW until Post Bola Ige administrators messed things up. After that period, Ibadan became the butt of jokes about Shoprite escalators.

That has changed though. The oldies and trendsetters have started returning home. There is like a low-key think home movement most people aren't aware of

All Nigerian states need to emulate this and stop coming up with all sorts of fake conspiracies about Lagos doing certain things in the background to stop other states from thriving.

If the right infrastructure is in place, people will stay at home

8 Likes

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by MONITZ: 5:30pm On Mar 27, 2017
Yeah, tell ur colleagues to stop relying on federal allocations without which they would obviously "die",it is like oxygen on which they depend,they re not even looking for ways to buoy their internally generated revenue.Lagos state I.G.Ris a combination of other states' I.G.Rs excluding just Delta and one other state.Those other governors should hold their heads in utter shame...

1 Like

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by Jetleeee: 5:37pm On Mar 27, 2017
Also, I feel the FA thing should even be scrapped. It encourages laziness

Scrap FA and watch these governors come up with crazy ideas on how to generate revenue

3 Likes

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by Amberon: 5:43pm On Mar 27, 2017
Can only happen when true federalism is practiced.
Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by omenkaLives(m): 5:53pm On Mar 27, 2017
malaki39:
Why wouldn't you admonish Governors when you're seating on the sweat of our forefathers?

Go and govern Ebonyi, Osun, Ekiti or Jigawa state then I will take your advice serious.
angry

I have never seen a more senseless post than this since I registered on this forum.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by wristbangle: 6:12pm On Mar 27, 2017
Jetleeee:

You have a point! But you see, it's not Lagos's fault. It's the fault of those states themselves. The administrators especially.

Besides the ports, the major reason why Lagos is thriving is because that's where Nigeria's best brains are. Whose fault is it that other states are losing their human resources to Lagos? In fact, one of the biggest losers is Ibadan and she has herself to blame. Ibadan had the best brains in the SW until Post Bola Ige administrators messed things up. After that period, Ibadan became the butt of jokes about Shoprite escalators.

That has changed though. The oldies and trendsetters have started returning home. There is like a low-key think home movement most people aren't aware of

All Nigerian states need to emulate this and stop coming up with all sorts of fake conspiracies about Lagos doing certain things in the background to stop other states from thriving.

If the right infrastructure is in place, people will stay at home

Intelligent and diplomatic reply bros

1 Like

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by Jetleeee: 6:15pm On Mar 27, 2017
wristbangle:

Intelligent and diplomatic reply bros

No be everytime shitgbo shitgbo uno cheesy

That's obsession.

3 Likes

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by ZelibeKristien: 6:46pm On Mar 27, 2017
Jetleeee:

No be everytime shitgbo shitgbo uno cheesy

That's obsession.

cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by Jetleeee: 6:47pm On Mar 27, 2017

1 Like

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by ZelibeKristien: 6:52pm On Mar 27, 2017

1 Like

Re: Stop Relying On Federal Allocation, Ambode Urges Govs by hysteriabox(m): 6:55pm On Mar 27, 2017
Talk eh... because God put you over a state that has been groomed. Industrial, economic hub.

But true talk sha. I second sir

(1) (Reply)

Media Trial, What Media Trial? / President Buhari's Absence In Office Raises New Concerns Read More: / EFCC Planned To Pocket $5m Ikoyi Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.