Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,695 members, 7,979,342 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 06:50 AM

5 Common Mistakes In English - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Common Mistakes In English (419 Views)

5 Common Wildlife Misconceptions You Should Do Away With(photos) / Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You / Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Common Mistakes In English by AISOSKID(m): 3:25pm On Mar 27, 2017
Everyday in our lifetime we use the common language to communicate to each that is using The English language to communicate most times we make blunder out of it but who cares! When I think it's time to atleast reduce the error we make if not for anything but for examination here we shall be dealing with " UNNECESSARY WORDS "
1. Using a double comparative.
Don't say/write : He is more stronger than George
Say/write : He is stronger than George.
Double comparative are incorrect : " more stronger" ought to be only " stronger".
However , we can say/write " much stronger. "

2. Misuse of adjectives that cannot be compared.
Don't say/write : My work is more perfect than his.
Say/write : My work is superior to his.
Or : My work is better than his.
Certain adjectives cannot be compared : perfect, unique, preferable, Supreme, right e.t.c.

3. " Return back " used instead of "return "
Don't say/write : She has returned back to school.
Say/write : She has returned to school.
The word " back" cannot be used with "return, "
since " return" means to come back.

4. " Have got" used instead of "have."
Don't say/write : He has got blue eyes and red hair.
Say/write : He has blue eyes and red hair.
"Get" means to acquire; "has got" should therefore not be used unless the intended meaning is has acquired : as He has got his reward at last.
Note. In conversation, however, it is more idiomatic to say, "he has got blue eyes and red hair".

5. "Begin from" used instead of "Begin. "
Don't say/write : Examinations begin from Thursday
Say/write : Examinations begin on Thursday.
A thing can BEGIN only at a point be used to apply to the whole time during which a thing is being done.

Credits goes to : http://www.lectportal.net/2017/03/common-mistakes-in-english.html?m=1

Send "add" to +2348064851069 and our bot will add you to our WhatsApp group for online teaching

2 Likes

Re: 5 Common Mistakes In English by chuks34(m): 3:28pm On Mar 27, 2017
Where is my queen priemer
Re: 5 Common Mistakes In English by AISOSKID(m): 3:38pm On Mar 27, 2017
chuks34:
Where is my queen priemer
I don't get you
Re: 5 Common Mistakes In English by chuks34(m): 5:25pm On Mar 27, 2017
Don't bother bro.

(1) (Reply)

See The Reason Why Federal Polytechnic Oko Students Find It Hard To Make Sentenc / What Is The Most Important Thing On An Exam Question Paper. / Less Competitive Federal And State Uni I Can Get Admission To With This Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.