Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,973 members, 7,873,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:26 AM

Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries (5247 Views)

Permanent-Secretaries Present Birthday Gifts To Bolanle Ambode / Fayose Presents Car Gifts To Teachers In Appreciation For Their Hard Works / Ibb’s Daughter Marries Zamfara Gov., After Dumping First Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by AloyEmeka9: 3:35am On Dec 25, 2009
Okonjo-Iweala diverts gifts to HIV/AIDS victims, as daughter marries
From Gordi Udeajah, Umuahia

THE Managing Director of the World Bank, Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and her husband Dr. Ikemba Iweala, yesterday gave out their daughter Onyinye in marriage to Dr. Andrew Robert Spector of Michigan State, USA at a colourful traditional ceremony held in their Umuda Isingwu village in Umuahia North Council of Abia State.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/dec/24/11.html

Though the ceremony was attended by the high and low with likelihood of corresponding gifts galore, Mrs. Iweala appealed to gift donors to channel them to the victims or people living with HIV and AIDS. She said her family would channel such gift presentations to Umuada Community School and two non-governmental organisations that cater for People Living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHVA) namely, Physicians For Social Justice and Amana Organisation coordinated by Dr. Chukwumuanya Igbokwe and Samaila Garba. Both NGOs are based in Niger State.

Many Nigerians and non-Nigerians from all walks of life gathered and witnessed the traditional marriage ceremony attended by the groom's parents, Judge Arthur Spector and Mrs. Kayla Spector and many of their relations, including the immediate past Ghanaian President, Dr. John Kufor, Nigeria's Vice President, Goodluck Jonathan, represented by Abia State governor, Dr. Theodore Orji, governors Bukola Saraki of Kwara State, Chibuike Amaechi of Rivers and Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta. Also in attendance was the World Bank Vice President for Africa, Mrs. Oby Ezekwesili.

Others who attended the event were Minister for Foreign Affairs, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, his Finance counterpart, Mansur Muktar, Chiefs Sonny Odogwu and Emeka Anyaoku, ThisDay publisher, Nduka Obaigbena, The Guardian Managing Director and Editor-In-Chief, Mr. Emeka Izeze, Dr. Farouk Lawan, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, Mike Adenuga (Jnr) and Chief Onyema Ugochukwu.

The colourful ceremony, which was chaired by Anyaoku and his wife, Bunmi, had the President of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Ambassador Ralph Uwechue as father of the day.

Anyaoku described the intercontinental marriage as a joyous one that has significance in Igbo culture as well as that of where the marrying families hail from.

He said: "They have accomplished what should be a pride to their parents, having both graduated from Harvard University, USA."

Father of the groom, Judge Arthur Spector told The Guardian his family was happy with the marriage, hence they both entered into it voluntarily.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by AloyEmeka9: 4:01am On Dec 25, 2009
So nice of her. Why her daughter marry oyibo abi Americana na?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by proudly9ja(m): 4:18am On Dec 25, 2009
^^^^^^
no mind children of 'nowadays', grin
Re: Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by AloyEmeka9: 4:59am On Dec 25, 2009
She no see many Naija guys wey full for America?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by OYBMEND: 5:02am On Dec 25, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

She no see many Naija guys wey full for America?

naija boys no sabi use their tongue
Re: Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by Arnold1(m): 7:32am On Dec 25, 2009
OYB_MEND:

naija boys no sabi use their tongue

OMG grin
Re: Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by Physicist(m): 8:09am On Dec 25, 2009
Re: Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by macIB(m): 8:58am On Dec 25, 2009
you can marry anybody you fit say u go fit enjoy, physically and sexually and all that, i have no grudge against it.

but come to think of it, is it not becoming "à la mode" among these "rich" kids to marry foreigners?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by iyapony(m): 9:31am On Dec 25, 2009
i love reading these type of stories, that was so kind of her. the christmas spirit is always so strong in naija.

@ aloy.emeka

love knows no ethnicity, race, or religion.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by AloyEmeka9: 10:19am On Dec 25, 2009
I was just kidding. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by SEFAGO(m): 10:54am On Dec 25, 2009
Yes, Nigerian girls who are exposed to western culture and kids of these ministers really like MouthAction. That is one of the reasons they like to marry foreigners i.e. Obasanjo, Abiola, Akunyil, Iweala daughters to mention just a few.

well some of us sabi smiley

From what I know of them, they went to predominantly white schools, and so would be extremely comfortable around white people. I cannot see them marrying some Nigerian guy with the typical nigerian alpha male attitude. But of course their are some westernized ones like me now, they should have waited for me- I want some of the national cake too angry
Re: Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by AloyEmeka9: 11:44am On Dec 25, 2009
SEFAGO:

well some of us sabi  smiley

From what I know of them, they went to predominantly white schools, and so would be extremely comfortable around white people. I cannot see them marrying some Nigerian guy with the typical nigerian alpha male attitude. But of course their are some westernized ones like me now, t[b]hey should have waited for me- I want some of the national cake too[/b]  angry

LWKND grin grin grin
Re: Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by Epiphany(m): 12:17pm On Dec 25, 2009
That tongue comment was classic! wink

But seriously, it is very difficult for people, young adults especially, to marry Nigerians when they find themselves so far away from Nigeria - esp when they have schooled outside the country. Your connection with and to nigerian networks is very limited.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Diverts Gifts To Hiv/aids Victims, As Daughter Marries by AloyEmeka6: 3:48am On Dec 26, 2009
Epiphany:

That tongue comment was classic!  wink

But seriously, it is very difficult for people, young adults especially, to marry Nigerians when they find themselves so far away from Nigeria - esp when they have schooled outside the country. Your connection with and to nigerian networks is very limited.

It depends on the parents. I've seen kids born and bred in Siberia or New Zealand yet they married from home. Are you saying that if she was born and bred in Oman or Yemen, she will definitely marry Arabian?

(1) (Reply)

SEE GOOGLE RESULT OF BUHARI AND JONATHAN <photo> / Ogoni People Pledges Support For Biafra, Seeks Forgiveness From The Igbos. / Are Igbo Really Smart ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.