Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,925 members, 7,872,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:58 AM

Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? (6461 Views)

Supreme Court Warns Buhari: Stop! Using Public Funds To Defend Yourself In Court / Stop Using Security Agencies To Silence Nigerians - Soyinka Tells Buhari / Stop Using Me For Comedy, Buhari Warns Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 31, 2017
In 1973, coins were introduced in denominations of ½, 1, 5, 10 and 25 kobo, with the ½ and 1 kobo in bronze and the higher denomnations in cupro-nickel. The ½ kobo coins were only minted that year. In 1991, smaller 1, 10 and 25 kobo coins were issued in copper-plated-steel, along with nickel-plated-steel 50 kobo and 1 naira. On 28 February 2007, new coins were issued in denominations of 50 kobo, 1 and 2 naira, with the 1 and 2 naira bimetallic.

It saddens my heart when I see most countries in the world still make uses of their coins. My question today is why do we stop using coins in Nigeria?

I missed
½ kobo
1 kobo
5 kobo
10 kobo
25 kobo
50 kobo
1 naira
2 naira

A lot of countries still make uses of their coins.

Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 31, 2017
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Freewoman(f): 2:15pm On Mar 31, 2017
Since it has no values again, my brothers used to melt them for other purposes like ear rings and neckless

2 Likes

Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Alisegun(m): 2:16pm On Mar 31, 2017
I beg help ask our Government o... Awa Ijo ba Ole..
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Ashleydolls(f): 2:17pm On Mar 31, 2017
Those were the good old days when things were way cheaper and better than it is now. Take me back to those days and we can talk about coins
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Blue3k(m): 2:18pm On Mar 31, 2017
They didn't completely stop. When I went to Abuja last time I was able to get 1 naira coin. The are essentially pointless because the metal is worth more than coin denomination.

1 Like

Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Mar 31, 2017
What can it purchase?
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by jaymejate: 2:25pm On Mar 31, 2017
So that stealing would be made easy.
Imagine stealing 10k which is coins.

Our govt stopped it so that they will steal and won't be noticed.
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by alegbeleye(m): 2:28pm On Mar 31, 2017
Cos we Nigerians love forming posh. Useless country.

1 Like

Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Mar 31, 2017
RB007:
What can it purchase?
in banks or patrol stations you still hear "kobo or naira" in most countries you can buy things with coins and still have balance.
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Mar 31, 2017
You got it right! We Nigerians claim too smart in everything.
alegbeleye:
Cos we Nigerians love forming posh. Useless country.

Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by paschal47(m): 2:40pm On Mar 31, 2017
(1)because it gets lost easily
(2)because it's too heavy, imagine carry one thousand coins in your pocket
(3)because it cannot be sprayed in a wedding ceremony imagine your EX coming to spray you coins, you go carry koko go your house that day

Lalasticlala what is your take on this matter?
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Mar 31, 2017
paschal47:
(1)because it gets lost easily
(2)because it's too heavy, imagine carry one thousand coins in your pocket
(3)because it cannot be sprayed in a wedding ceremony imagine your EX coming to spray you coins, you go carry koko go your house that day

Seriously?

This is the smartest thing you can come up with?
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 31, 2017
RB007:
What can it purchase?

Maybe we can't use it to buy sweet anymore but atleast when I buy an item at shoprite for 997 naira, they should give me my coins change.

A litre of fuel was N86.50, but does the kobo count? No
Because the Government doesn't make it count, because the people who also make up the government think they're too posh for coins or its insignificant.
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by paschal47(m): 3:33pm On Mar 31, 2017
Joavid:

Seriously?

This is the smartest thing you can come up with?

Are you for real? You need to loosen a bit.

Didn't you get the joke?
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by sammyj: 3:38pm On Mar 31, 2017
Coins was stopped because our ignoramus leaders believe it's more expensive to produce, to heavy too loot and low value forgetting that even if it is expensive to produce it last longer in circulation and saves the country cost of having to reproduce compared to the Note version!!!! shocked sad angry
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 31, 2017
No value, expensive to produce, inflation....
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by theSpark(m): 3:41pm On Mar 31, 2017
You can get coins at some shopping malls up north. Someone told me he was given coins at Ado Bayero Mall as recent as early 2016.
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Mar 31, 2017
paschal47:
Are you for real? You need to loosen a bit.

Didn't you get the joke?
jokes is for evening.
The afternoon is hot.
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by paschal47(m): 3:56pm On Mar 31, 2017
Joavid:

jokes is for evening.

The afternoon is hot.
More reason you need it, to cool off a bit
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Greatihex(m): 4:19pm On Mar 31, 2017
http://a.seoclerks.com/linkin/571731
Buy ans sell absolutely anything on seoclerks today including services and ebooks from anywhere in the world.
Re: Why Did We Stop Using Coins In Nigeria? by Eazybay(m): 4:32pm On Mar 31, 2017
Inflation, Cost of production AND INTERNAL SABOTAGE!!

Goldsmiths just dey melt am take do necklace etc.

THERE WAS A COUNTRY

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: AREWA BEGINS #IgboMustGo NATIONWIDE PROTEST APRIL 10 - ELOMBAH NEWS / Ihedioha Calls For Establishment Of Medical Research Fund, Task Resident Doctors / HEDA Asks ICPC To Probe Bashir Ahmad For ‘Receiving Salaries’ After Resigning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.