Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,376 members, 7,929,186 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 10:32 AM

Discovering My Backyard - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Discovering My Backyard (426 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Discovering My Backyard by promoteit: 4:43am On Apr 01, 2017
DISCOVERING MY BACKYARD GURARA EDITION

GURARA WATERFALLS TOUR/HIKE

Today My Group and I went for yet another backyard discovering. This time we went as far as Gurara Waterfalls in Suleja Niger –State

Gurara Waterfall has been described by many as Nigeria’s premium waterfall. Located some 68 kilometres from Minna and about 110 kilometres from Abuja, Nigeria’s evolving capital, visitors often talk about its therapeutic or health benefits.
History Gurara waterfall) according to our local guide -The Gurara Waterfalls was reportedly discovered in 1745 by a Gwari hunter called Buba, as he was travelling from Zaria to hunt for animals. The Gurara falls and river were named after the two gods once worshipped by Gwari people: Called Gura and Rara. The community around the waterfalls used to worship the falls. If they had any problems, they used to go to the waterfall to pray and make sacrifices. When some Europeans discovered the falls in 1925, they turned it into a recreational area, and so the sacrifices stopped.

Now “Who will believe this nature’s wonder is just right at our very own backyard here in Nigeria?”
As usual we assembled at our official meeting point by 8 O clock AM . We waited for another 1hr for the rest of the group to arrive . We finally left the place around 9.Am

The fun began right inside our tour bus. Never knew many of our members are talented

musicians (You go fear musicians na people singing like frogs. Don’t tell them I said that o)

Some of our group leaders are not really good leaders they had lot to drink and eat in the front left few of us at the back with nothing. When we complained they said they paid for Business class and that we at the back are economy users ( kai leader sef)

We got to the facility around 10.30 AM The first thing I saw was a sign board that reads- “NOTICE: Swimming in the falls is DANGEROUS. Whoever attempts it does so at his/her risk!”

We assembled again had some guide talks took some group pictures and head to the Waterfall area.

The river and the falls itself is noted to have great potentials for sport fishing and wildlife viewing.
It has also been said that there’s an area, down the river channel where one can find crocodiles living in their natural habitat.

The environment is pristine, with lots of trees and shrubbery providing healing fresh oxygen, which animates the brain. Walking from point to point on the banks, doing detours to access the pool beneath the precipice, or skipping rock boulders to fish, bathe, swim, or dive challenges the muscles and sinews and improves cellular metabolism.

Before i forget we met like 4 different groups that came for same reason as well.
I must warn you please if you cannot swim dont even try going close to the river . A member of the other groups fell into the water and never came back .
I think i will stop here to cool off some cold Beer you can view more of the photos here http://mrwakawaka1..com.ng/

Thanks to our sponsors Toogoodtravels Ltd and Naija Adventurers

Thank you for reading..

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Roads Currently On Lockdown Caused By Tankers (photos) / 7 Crazy Things Ongoing Road Constructions In Lagos Are Causing / PHOTOS: Tanker Falls Of Its Truck In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.