Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,880 members, 7,966,299 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 12:06 PM

Kemi Olunloyo V State - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Kemi Olunloyo V State (314 Views)

See What Kemi Olunloyo Tweet About Hacking Nairaland / See What Kemi Olunloyo Is Saying About Seun Osewa And Nairaland On Twitter / Controversial Journalist, Kemi Olunloyo Reveals She Has A Job In White House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kemi Olunloyo V State by dresiri(m): 8:32am On Apr 01, 2017
A few years ago, while I was serving (NYSC), a fellow corper was accused of impregnating a 13-year-old girl in Kwara state by the media (http://naijagists.com/nysc-corper-impregnates-13-year-old-secondary-school-girl/) It was so widely published in different blogs and social media that it ruined the young man's reputation. The story appeared to be backed up by a picture of the kneeling young man in “ajuwaya” apparently begging the obviously pregnant girl (and they claimed her parents were nearby).

The truth is, this so called 13-year-old girl was also a corper, and that picture was taken during a CDS drama performed for secondary school students to demonstrate the effects of premarital sex. I know this because, I know both corpers personally, having served at the same time as they and yes the young lady did look small (funny enough she was also one of the leaders in NCCF) but if you looked at the picture well, you would notice the feet of secondary school students as they watched the drama.

Even then I began to wonder how sanity could be brought to the blogosphere. How people could be held accountable for their actions (written or spoken). They say everybody has freedom of speech, but your right to hold and express your opinions ends where my right not to be defamed, slandered or libeled against starts.

My research then and now (the lack of actual law practice considered) revealed that he had both tort law and criminal law on his side. You see, he can sue in a civil court for defamation. The burden of proof is on the defendants (bloggers in this case) to show that what they printed was true, but it did not end there. The Nigerian criminal code and penal code also defines defamation as a misdemeanor with a punishment of one to two years in prison. (https://www.icidr.org/ijalsg_vol2no1_april%202011/Right%20to%20Freedom%20of%20Expression%20and%20the%20Law%20of%20Defamation%20in%20Nigeria.pdf)

The general opinion among Nigerians seems to be that even if the journalist overstepped her bounds, the pastor should exhibit his Christlikeness and forgive her.
Truth is, he can forgive her (he may even already have), but this is now a criminal matter. So he can not just de-escalate the matter even if he wanted to. If it were not a criminal matter, there is no way she would have been remanded in jail.

Personally, and especially with the advent of blogs that turns every Chidi, Ayodele and Mustapha into journalists, there has to be enforcement of the law that guards against defamation. Everybody should prove their mettle in investigative journalism and not just publish trash based on hearsay. People's lives and hard earned reputations are at stake; we must all be held to a higher standard, even journalists.

I therefore submit, that we let the law take its course in the case of the State v Kemi Olulonyo and learn our lessons. Actions have consequences…even when against forgiving men of God!

CC...lalastica
necessary mods
#letshearbothsidesofthestory

1 Like

Re: Kemi Olunloyo V State by Nobody: 8:40am On Apr 01, 2017
This was why I supported that bill which we all condemned.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Tale Of Father And Sons / Ten Popular Quotes Of Steve Jobs / Oodua Groups Reject Envoys’ Claims On ‘indivisible’ Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.