Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,923 members, 7,909,443 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 04:28 AM

Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? (4603 Views)

Widow Loses Pregnancy After Being Battered By Man Friend (pic) / Rapist Begs To Marry His 13-Year-Old Victim & Her Father Agrees (Kano) / Why Did My Father Marry My Mother? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by prettyH(f): 7:17pm On Jan 09, 2006
Allonym, i come from edo and its unheard of for such an act to occur (at least my culture forbids it). Does anyone have to present any cogent reason for an abominable act? If its wrong , its wrong.
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by allonym: 8:28pm On Jan 09, 2006
there are many things that have been unheard of that have been introduced to nigerian cultures in the past 50 years. Heck, many of those things were unheard of in western culture. That argument is not sufficient.

The argument that Edo culture forbids a man to marry the widow of his son is a different thing. That, I will have to research and if correct as stated, serves as motivation enough to explain the out of hand condemnation of the man, though it does not reveal why anyone feels this is wrong - unless that too is revealed in my research into Edo culture.

Also, this does not explain why the woman faced no such condemnation from anyone.
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by mizkay(f): 3:10am On Jan 10, 2006
allonym:

So pretty much nobody has any reason for why they feel the way they do.

Funny how everyone wants to kill the man, what about the woman? I don't remember her being forced into a marriage.

make we kill them both then......small problem
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by yemstrad(f): 10:44am On Jan 11, 2006
I am particularly sad that some people still believe the old fool has not done anything wrong. That is why we don't have any explanation for the calamities befalling our nation today. Every other things that provide solutions to similar national problems in other countries are constntly being defied in Nigeria because of our sins.
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by allonym: 3:52am On Jan 13, 2006
yemstrad:

I am particularly sad that some people still believe the old fool has not done anything wrong. That is why we don't have any explanation for the calamities befalling our nation today. Every other things that provide solutions to similar national problems in other countries are constntly being defied in Nigeria because of our sins.

Ok, then explain what is wrong with what he did. I've been asking that. The best answer that has been given so far has been: Its wrong because my culture says its wrong. And that is not a real answer to a question to a person who needs a response other than because that is the way the world is. I'm above the age of 6. At this point, I need better answers.
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by prettyH(f): 11:46am On Jan 13, 2006
Allonym , aswell u've not rendered reasons for supporting the old man's actions. So why not do that and lets see if u make sense.
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by yemstrad(f): 4:24pm On Jan 13, 2006
prettyH:

Allonym , aswell u've not rendered reasons for supporting the old man's actions. So why not do that and lets see if u make sense.

Damsel indeed. @allonym...please give your reasons for saying the man has done anything bad. Is it because there is no modern law that kick against it?
If that is ur rationale for supporting the old fool, then where do you place moral values that is supposed to be entrenched in our day-to-day living irrespective of civil laws
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by allonym: 10:25pm On Jan 15, 2006
yemstrad:

Damsel indeed. @allonym...please give your reasons for saying the man has done anything bad. Is it because there is no modern law that kick against it?
If that is your rationale for supporting the old fool, then where do you place moral values that is supposed to be entrenched in our day-to-day living irrespective of civil laws

Well, at the moment, I cannot think of any moral values which I believe in which are not supported by some law or which are contradicted by another law.

So, to answer the question, why do I support his decision:

1) There is no law against it
2) Everyone has a right to marry whom they wish - with the exception of incest. Now, if you define this as incest (which many people in another thread would) then I can understand being against the man's decision.
3) Some suggest that the old man killed his son (somehow) to get the wife. Assuming that the son did not die under suspicious circumstances, the it is equally likely that anyone on this forum killed him as well.
4) I don't see anything wrong with an "old" man marrying a "young" woman. Are old men for some reason not allowed to have wives in nigeria anymore? Or is it that old men are rare, and thus him having a wife is a strange thing, let alone him being alive?
5) I cannot think of a single thing (based on the original story) that the old man (or his wife) have done wrong. There is nothing in the bible that suggests I should look down on their actions. So, why should I?

So, for those who disagree with me please answer one or more of the following:

1) What law if any is there against this situation?
2) Is this a case of incest?
3) If you think the man killed his son to get the woman, what experience do you have that allows you to draw this conclusion based on no evidence to suggest it?
4) Do you think "old" men should not be able to marry "young" women?
5) Is there something in the bible or some other moral code which prohibits their relationship?
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by bernieman(m): 6:21pm On Jan 18, 2006
This baba should be properly investigated.How can he sum up the courage to lie with his supposed gand daughter?I think he had already started doing it before the son's death.That old papa is an abomination to human race.
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by prettyH(f): 6:52pm On Jan 18, 2006
@ allonym,

allonym:

Well, at the moment, I cannot think of any moral values which I believe in which are not supported by some law or which are contradicted by another law.

So, to answer the question, why do I support his decision:

1) There is no law against it
2) Everyone has a right to marry whom they wish - with the exception of incest. Now, if you define this as incest (which many people in another thread would) then I can understand being against the man's decision.
3) Some suggest that the old man killed his son (somehow) to get the wife. Assuming that the son did not die under suspicious circumstances, the it is equally likely that anyone on this forum killed him as well.
4) I don't see anything wrong with an "old" man marrying a "young" woman. Are old men for some reason not allowed to have wives in nigeria anymore? Or is it that old men are rare, and thus him having a wife is a strange thing, let alone him being alive?
5) I cannot think of a single thing (based on the original story) that the old man (or his wife) have done wrong. There is nothing in the bible that suggests I should look down on their actions. So, why should I?

So, for those who disagree with me please answer one or more of the following:

1) What law if any is there against this situation?
2) Is this a case of incest?
3) If you think the man killed his son to get the woman, what experience do you have that allows you to draw this conclusion based on no evidence to suggest it?
4) Do you think "old" men should not be able to marry "young" women?
5) Is there something in the bible or some other moral code which prohibits their relationship?

As u too have no cogent reasons, i too do not. It's just totally immoral . U don't get it , no one opposes the marriage of an oldie to a young blood but this scenario is different........the oldie married his daughter-in-law. And you say the is nothing wrong with it shocked
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by allonym: 3:59am On Jan 21, 2006
prettyH:

@ allonym,

As u too have no cogent reasons, i too do not. It's just totally immoral . U don't get it , no one opposes the marriage of an oldie to a young blood but this scenario is different........the oldie married his daughter-in-law. And you say the is nothing wrong with it shocked

I think my arguments are convincing enough:

1) There is no law against it (human law)
2) There is no law against it (divine law based on the KJV of the Holy Bible)
3) There is nothing wrong with a widow remarrying
4) There is no incest involved
5) There is nothing wrong with an old adult marrying a young (or younger) adult

So far, all I've seen is that because:

a) the man was her father-in-law

it is wrong. I'm sorry, but there are few things I could think of that are wrong because: "he's your father-in-law" but many which are wrong because : "its against the law" or "the bible says don't do it" or "it would be incest".
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by yemstrad(f): 2:28pm On Jan 21, 2006
@allonym

No, not that there is a law against it. We are saying it is morally wrong for a father to marry his son's wife whether the son is dead or alive.
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by allonym: 6:54am On Jan 26, 2006
yemstrad:

@allonym

No, not that there is a law against it. We are saying it is morally wrong for a father to marry his son's wife whether the son is dead or alive.

What is morally wrong about it? What is the moral foundation or issue which makes this wrong?
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by eveseh(f): 7:14pm On Apr 28, 2006
hmmmmmmmmm,dont know?
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by Rhodalyn(f): 11:57pm On Jun 21, 2006
Not in a world where everyone's mind Is properly functioning!
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by allonym: 6:51am On Jun 26, 2006
not sure i understand what you're trying to say:

Rhodalyn:

Not in a world where everyone's mind Is properly functioning!
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by gaby(m): 1:29pm On Sep 12, 2006
Ok peeps, this is some topic believe me, this does sound kind of weird and immoral to an extent though but come to think of it and be a little unbiased on your judgements, the question to ask yourself are those raised by allonym whom i support on this issue and also has anyone asked to know if the woman was forced into this of hypnotized by the oldie into it cos i dont think so, its obviously a case of 2 matured peeps falling in love and getting married,

By the way if this is wrong how about a case where a brother inherits his late brother's wife as is practised in some parts of our country, how about cases of another tribe in nigeria where husbands are known to entertain friends or visitors with their wives for the night,

So when looking at things like this we really need to keep an open mind cos you can see it as weird and be able to defend it while someone else could see it as no big deal and still be able to give you reasons why,

Thats my take on this peeps
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by temmyabby(f): 12:44am On Jun 12, 2007
its wrong ooooo, no coma just full stop.
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by crazyp(f): 2:50pm On Jul 05, 2007
u guys didnt get it, the man no marry the woman, e jus dey do am to keep the woman warm, cheesy

however, i insist that it is wrong, he could have gotten any other woman, why the son's wife & i know the Bible calls it covetousness, how r we sure he wasnt banging this woman even before his son died, its not just right. lipsrsealed
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by nnada(f): 2:55pm On Jul 05, 2007
it may not be any of the above.
but my dear it is wrong, to me it is an abormination.
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by allonym: 2:58am On Aug 20, 2007
How do we know that the guy was not banging his dead son's wife before his son died?

Because the title of this thread is: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow?

The OP did not ask if a father who has been banging the wife of his son can marry her after the son dies.

But anyway, it does not matter. Having sex with someone (married or not) does not preclude you from marrying them when they become available. If that is the crux of your argument, I suggest you come up with another one.

I'll be waiting!
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by ssRhino: 4:43am On Aug 25, 2007
Abomination shocked
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by darmys(f): 10:51am On Jan 18, 2008
shocked now that's crazy
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by GEW: 10:13am On Jul 13, 2009
so this madness is still going on?
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by ifyalways(f): 12:13pm On Jul 13, 2009
@Topic,Not right,not wrong.The woman was not forced,actions of 2 consenting adults.
BTW,how was a 100yr old man able to get a woman preggie undecided
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by Fhemmmy: 6:14pm On Jul 13, 2009
That is a stupid father and nonsense.
The father probably has always liked the babe and could even be the one that killed the son
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by sirt1(m): 7:16pm On Jul 14, 2009
@ Poster,

Unnecessary question. Don't u know what is right?
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by Fhemmmy: 7:17pm On Jul 14, 2009
sir t:

@ Poster,

Unnecessary question. Don't u know what is right?
Lol grin
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by harakiri(m): 4:53am On Jan 19, 2010
Sick lipsrsealed
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by Fhemmmy: 6:59pm On Jan 19, 2010
Pathetic question
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by coolier(f): 7:03pm On Jan 19, 2010
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Can a Father Marry His Deceased Son's Widow? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jun 22, 2011
Eeeeeew! Not morally right, in my book,

(1) (2) (Reply)

. / How Can I Claim My Late Fathers Unclaimed Dividends ? / Is This Enough Reason, why she filed for a divorce *screen Shot*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.