Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,736 members, 7,951,996 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:02 AM

Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail (20868 Views)

Lagos Light Rail Will Start Functioning By December- Ambode ( Photos ) / Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts / Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by paddylo1(m): 10:10pm On Jan 05, 2010
If you live in lagos along lagos/badagry express way,
you will notice that work has began.

JULIUS BERGER has started working at Orile and another bridge is been
build in maza maza/mile two.

So stop saying that work has not begun!!!!

i tire oh. . .listen berger was paid N70 billion. . mobilization fee to start work. . .
that is no mean amount. . .for example this yrs federal budget has only about N90bln
to fix all federal roads in nigeria according to the national assembly(though they are planning to add more money)

another thing u should know is that berger is a reputable company,already handling the lekki-ikoyi bridge and other roads and bridges in lagos
so they will complete the job. . .in record time too as they are known to do

i really look forward to driving on that road,when it becomes a ten lane express
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Nobody: 7:36am On Jan 07, 2010
What are we rejoicing. We have not yet heard even the names of the contractors amd evem groundbreaking exercise hasnt started. Keep the jubilation aside. Who says Project can be rounded up by 2011. Fasho Even if the project begins, it may not be rounded up 2011 and Fashola may be shown the way out by 2011 and another abandoned project again. Meanwhile, Fashola is our Nigerian Hero, but the power brokers have their say and their way.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by azubyky: 11:35am On Jan 08, 2010
wen a leader has a vision/focus/objective and also the interest of the people at heart no matter the manipulation of the so-called God father's he will still deliver take good example of Governors with vision for the people. Donald duke (governor of cross river state), fashola (governor of lagos stat) and adams oshomole (governor of edo state) just to a few this are visionaries but yet they still hv God farthers but they leaving mark behind. the name of Gov. fashola and other who have affected their society will alway go down history book. i think is time for nigerians to wake and fight bad leader ship with all we hv got coz that is the only way we can hv a new nigeria.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by dipo2much(m): 3:09am On Jan 10, 2010
Fash's d man!!!
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by paddylo1(m): 8:01am On Jan 14, 2010
Print version Lagos’ N450 Billion Light Rail Project Takes Off March
The long awaited N450 billion ($3 billion) Lagos’ Light Rail project will take off in March, Governor Babatunde Fashola has said.

He said the design for the project, which is already at the final stage, would be completed and submitted by the contractors handling the project’s design next month.

The rail project consists of seven rail lines. Two of the proposed lines have been approved for construction.

The Blue line would link Okomaiko to Marina through Mile 2, while the Red line would link Agege, Mushin, Iddo and end at Marina.

The state government has secured some external funds for the project, about $1.5 billion to build the infrastructure of the rail project and allow interested private firms to operate the lines as done with the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system.

When completed, the rail project would carry millions of passengers per day while the concessionaires would manage the project for a period of 25 years after which it would be handed over to the government.

According to the governor, who spoke at an economic summit in Lagos yesterday, the decision of the government to commit huge sum of money on the project was justifiable, insisting that the issue of poverty could not be dealt with without addressing transportation problems.

“The whole essence of human endeavour is to look for food, shelter and clothing and he would do that by getting wealth and running businesses. Now if the cost of transporting yourself to work eats half of your wages, you would stay poor,” he said.

Fashola also said that with several projects ongoing in the state, better days lie ahead for the people of Lagos in terms of provision of improved infrastructure and services for the people by the present administration.

He stated that many of the lofty projects being embarked upon by the state would reach its fruition this year with more positive impact, stressing that one of the things that stood him in good stead for the job was that he became a governor after having been an insider in the running of the government of the state.

He said on assumption of office, one of the main pre-occupation of his administration was to reverse the infrastructural deficit of almost 30 years by making infrastructure renewal its first goal.

The governor added that part of the strategies for achieving this was in dedicating 60 percent of the State budget to infrastructure renewal and setting strict guidelines which encompassed setting of timelines and deadlines on all policies and programmes which must be met.

On the issue of resistance to the payment of taxes, Fashola said if there were any forms of resistance, it was in terms of pessimism of the people about the efficiency of the system and about past broken promises.

He disclosed that by the end of 2010, about 25 kilometres of the Lekki- Epe Express Way would have been completed, assuring that the road would be completed by 2011.

Fashola further disclosed that the Itire-Okota Link Bridge, Funsho Willimas Avenue and Igbo Elerin road would be completed in 2010.

Governor Fashola while justifying the need to identify and protect the locations of cables laid across the state, said the state through the Lagos State Infrastructure Maintenance and Regulatory Agency (LASIMRA) had asked telecom operators in the state to supply their work plans so that the state could work on it with its contractors to avoid incidences of cable cutting during construction.

In addition, Fashola said as at the last count, over 20, 000 people had benefited from the micro credit finance of the State which according to him has also created over 150,000 jobs.

On his re-election in 2011, Fashola said no decision had been made by the Action Congress, the party on whose platform he was elected.
[url]http://thepmnews.com/2010/01/12/lagos’-n450-billion-light-rail-project-takes-off-march[/url]
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by edoyad(m): 8:32am On Jan 14, 2010
The top 4 things that attract me to a news story these days are a headline or story with :
3. Barack Obama
2. Baba-Tunde Raji Fashola
1. Arsenal FC.
It is no mean feat for something to be just below Arsenal in my books.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by paddylo1(m): 3:35am On Jan 21, 2010
Lagos completes design of N170bn rail project
project construction to begin immediately

[size=16pt]Lagos Begins N170bn Rail Project
By Gboyega Akinsanmi, 01.21.2010

Lagos state government  said  the design of the long-awaited mass transit rail project has been completed, thus paving way for the construction of the project with immediate effect.
It  added that both the design and construction of the rail project  would gulp the  sum of $1.12 billion (equivalent of N170 billion), stating that it would take 36 months to complete the construction.
[/size]

While inspecting facilities to kick-start the rail project yesterday in the premise of Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) in Ebute-Meta, Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN)  said Chinese Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC) has set the stage to commence the construction phase of the project.
Speaking with journalists at the site, the governor said the first phase [size=16pt]“will include the construction of the Blue Line which is expected to run a total distance of 27kilometres from Okokomaiko to Marina and would be served by the stations.”
He said: “The project is expected to be delivered on August 2012 and provide jobs for about 4,000 Nigerians during the construction phase alone.” He   expressed optimism that the contractors would deliver within the stipulated period
.[/size]

“The project when completed would go a long way to make transportation faster, convenient and more efficient. It is a winner for Nigeria and Lagos State. It will improve the quality of life in our nation and help transport good and services.
Nigerians working in London in the under ground rail system have spoke to me that want to come back home and run an efficient rail system,” the governor explained.
Speaking on the Red Line rail construction, the governor explained that that the state government “is waiting the approval of the Federal Government to use its corridor to link Iddo through Agbado and Ijoko in Ogun State.

“We are waiting for the federal government to give us the go ahead to use their corridor; we have a Memorandum of Understanding with them and we just need them to fast track a few things for us so that we can use that corridor,” he stated.
The Iddo/Oyingbo way under construction is nearing completion. On completion, it will enable an extension of the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) from Mile 12 straight to Iddo. We would continue to expand and when the Lagos Badagry is completed, there would also be a BRT service in that route”, he added.

Project Manager, CCECC, Mr. Shi Stone who conducted the governor round the facilities assured that they were ready to begin construction, adding that they have acquired all necessary equipments to kick start the construction process.
The project is part of the World Bank assisted projects in the state expected to run at 100km/h, has a main length of 28km, a viaduct length of 7.75km, and a 3.047 kilometre long coastal elevated track and a 610 metre-long sea crossing bridge

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=164702
RED LINE

The Red Line rail system is being developed on North-South axis through some of the most densely populated areas in Lagos. Beginning on the island, the Red Line will run north to Agbado through a total of 13 stations. From the Marina to Iddo stations, the Red Line will share the alignment with the Blue Line. The shared infrastructure in these portions will be constructed as part of the Red Line project. From Agbado to Iddo, the Red Line with utilize the existing Nigerian Railways Corporation (NRC) corridor.

BLUE LINE

[b]The Blue Line will run 27km from Okokomaiko to Marina, one of the most densely travelled corridors in Lagos. The rail infrastructure is being developed in conjunction with the Badagry Expressway project, a proposed toll road running from Lagos to Badagry. The Blue Line will run on an exclusive 15 metre right of way in the middle of the expressway.

In total there will be thirteen stations, three which will be shared with the Red Line system. The stations will be located above the tracks, with large pedestrian walkways crossing the expressway. Large, concrete barriers will be placed between the rail lines and the expressway to ensure no external factors will disrupt service. The Blue Line system will require the construction of two bridges. The larger of the two, to be shared with the Red Line, will connect the mainland with the island. The second bridge will be across the river at Mile 2.

The fixed assets, including construction of the alignment, bridges, and stations, will be wholly funded by the Lagos State Government. A concessionaire is currently being sought to procure and finance rolling stock and depot facilities, as well as provide operations and maintenance over a 25 year period. The concessionaire will be compensated through passenger revenues as well as revenues earned from retail activities within stations. [/b]
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by honeric01(m): 4:35pm On Jan 21, 2010
watched this on tv, it will take 30 months to complete and it has already started.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by JNdupu: 4:48pm On Jan 21, 2010
edoyad:

The top 4 things that attract me to a news story these days are a headline or story with :
3. Barack Obama
2. Baba-Tunde Raji Fashola
1. Arsenal FC.
It is no mean feat for something to be just below Arsenal in my books.

As Richard Pryor would say ,  "say what?"

You cudda fooled us, we thought it was ,

3. Hausa - Kill all of them
2. Northern Nigeria - Excise them
1. Islam - Evil

Y'know, when that disintegration of Nigeria you promote don occur, dem no go let you go past Okada Gate. U go dey admire this fine railway from a distance as your new Biafra masters dey pepper your yansh.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by blacksta(m): 4:53pm On Jan 21, 2010
Nigerians working in London in the under ground rail system have spoke to me that want to come back home and run an efficient rail system,” the governor explained.

The salary better be good ?
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by babapupa: 6:41pm On Jan 21, 2010
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by asha80(m): 6:46pm On Jan 21, 2010
JNdupu:

As Richard Pryor would say , "say what?"

You cudda fooled us, we thought it was ,

3. Hausa - Kill all of them
2. Northern Nigeria - Excise them
1. Islam - Evil

Y'know, when that disintegration of Nigeria you promote don occur, dem no go let you go past Okada Gate. U go dey admire this fine railway from a distance as your new Biafra masters dey pepper your yansh.

think before you type.is edoyard from the east?
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by paddylo1(m): 9:03pm On Jan 21, 2010
think before you type.is edoyard from the east?

it doesnt matter where he is from. .
the point is that there are too many negative posts in this section of nairaland
and something should be done by the mods about it. . .
this should be more a place where the positive things happening in each state is discussed
not where to come sow tribal hatred
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by heilige(m): 9:32pm On Jan 21, 2010
Where and when will Seun have the time to moderate the thousands of daily replies ?
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by JNdupu: 12:26am On Jan 22, 2010
paddy_lo:

it doesnt matter where he is from. .
the point is that there are too many negative posts in this section of nairaland
and something should be done by the mods about it. . .
this should be more a place where the positive things happening in each state is discussed
not where to come sow tribal hatred

Thank you. My point is that we have an interest in these positive things in each state whether Lagos or Zungeru. The instintive hatred and tribal/religious bashing of edoyard and his gang of "hate hausa, let's divide Nigeria" nutters pollutes this place. It is poignant that he celebrates Lagos but if that division occurs, he could end up with no stake or connection to Lagos. Why would they want him? Short-sighted nutters the lot of them.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Rmc1(m): 7:18am On Mar 07, 2010
kudos to fashola if he is able to complete this project, then his name will be written in gold in nigerian books . The blue light rail project can be actually powered by electricity by building wind mills along the bar beach or badagry beaches, these wind mills provide constant and realiable electricity because there is enough wind on lagos coast line.
Running the rail project on diesel will be expensive compared to the wind mills which provide free electricity from the wind 24/7 365 days of the year independent from phcn nepa wahala. eko oni baje o  grin

Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by OREAWADOO: 10:43am On Mar 10, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
I laugh my laugh
rail line in nigeria
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Kay17: 1:41pm On Mar 10, 2010
i laugh too. nothing is impossible, but still this is a mammoth project which would eventually need support and cooperation from the federal govt. why must his face appear on everything, he intends to reap popularity for 2011. this project is beyond him.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 11, 2010
We are looking forward to the succes of this Project.

God Help Fashola and house any update with picture to proof?

Baba Pupa please kindly update Nigeria about this Mega Project
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by honeric01(m): 7:02pm On Apr 11, 2010
barnabasj:

We are looking forward to the succes of this Project.

God Help Fashola and house any update with picture to proof?

Baba Pupa please kindly update Nigeria about this Mega Project

work has actually started, but i don't have pix for it, would have shown you what i have seen so far.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by doyin13(m): 8:49pm On Apr 11, 2010
honeric01:

work has actually started, but i don't have pix for it, would have shown you what i have seen so far.

Me too. . .I have been anxious to see pictures .

Is it at the National theatre end you saw work going on?
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by honeric01(m): 8:52pm On Apr 11, 2010
doyin13:

Me too. . .I have been anxious to see pictures .

Is it at the National theatre end you saw work going on?

nah, ikeja railway side.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by doyin13(m): 9:11pm On Apr 11, 2010
honeric01:

nah, ikeja railway side.

haaa. .i suspect that must be the FG project one.

I saw a pic somewhere of some work going on not too
far from the National Theatre. I think that is the Lite Rail
one.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by t0kunb0(m): 4:16am On Apr 12, 2010
@ all. . . Whr's d power to run the train sys going to be generated from?
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by honeric01(m): 10:07am On Apr 12, 2010
doyin13:

haaa. .i suspect that must be the FG project one.

I saw a pic somewhere of some work going on not too
far from the National Theatre. I think that is the Lite Rail
one.

Maybe, all i know is that it seems they have started.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by tkb417(m): 10:23am On Apr 12, 2010
ope o
i nor dey go embassy again

na this 9ja i go stay grin grin grin

Fash the fash

u too much

abi u go contest for Presidency, i go vote for u o even if u nor win
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 12, 2010
Baba Pupa Please we are waiting for the update from you, using Picture in surport

Thank you
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by honeric01(m): 11:58am On Apr 12, 2010
tkb417:

ope o
i nor dey go embassy again

na this 9ja i go stay grin grin grin

Fash the fash

u too much

abi u go contest for Presidency, i go vote for u o even if u nor win

grin grin grin
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by DisGuy: 2:47am On Aug 10, 2010
Pictures of work being done anyone?

August 2012 here we come!!!
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by paddylo1(m): 3:03am On Aug 10, 2010

This is what i got for now. . its the Lagos badagry 10 lane Project being handled by berger

The light rail will go in the middle. . .so have some patience more pictures will be coming as work picks up
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by honeric01(m): 11:42am On Aug 10, 2010
^^^^

This does not look like a rail work to me, it kinda looks like a road construction.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by GAR3TH(m): 1:33pm On Aug 10, 2010
^^ yes, its a ten lane highway that will have the blue line running in the middle of the expressway. see render below

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Benue Indigenes Protest In Enugu Over Herdsmen Killings Of Their People. / 2023: Lagos APC Leaders To ‘Plead’ 2nd Term For Sanwo-Olu / Northern Leaders Stole More Than Diezani, Alamieyeseigha – Ijaw Youth Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.