Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,325 members, 7,950,637 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 06:21 PM

Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates (16234 Views)

Is This Why Tecno Phones Are Crap. / This is Why Tecno, Infinix Will Never Try Selling Its Models In US Or Europe! / List Of China Phones With Ota Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by mich24(m): 7:46am On Apr 06, 2017
OkoYiboz:
Transsion holdings (owners of Tecno, iTel and Infinix) have no intellectual property rights over their products simply because they are just glorified marketers. They do not create, design or invent anything and do not have answers to the needs of their consumers.

What they do is to go to factories in China that mass produce phones and ask them to make X number of phones branded with the Tecno, iTel or infinix logo. These factories produce for Tecno and tecno sells them here in Africa.

Tecno releasees a lot of phones without OS and technical updates cos they have no intellectual input in the research and production of these devices. Unfortunately, these phones are sold to unsuspecting Nigerians at outrageous prices.

Xiaomi, a Chinese brand releases more phones than Tecno yearly and the support is massive. In 2015, Xiaomi sold about 70 million phones, yet the xiaomi products from 3 years ago are still getting updates while those who bought Tecno phones last year haven't gotten anything.

My sympathy goes to unsuspecting Nigerians that keep buying these interior Tecno, Infinix and iTel phones at outrageous prices. The phones are so useless that they don't sell them in India. It's only in Africa that they are sold. If you sell crap like Tecno in China, you may be sentenced to firing squad.

Tecno be like

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Iamwrath: 7:48am On Apr 06, 2017
I have updated Tecno several times
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by maverickdude(m): 7:54am On Apr 06, 2017
That is why infinix is taking forever to roll out official nougat for we note 3 users angry
we don wait sotey i'm tempted to flash the beta version sad

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Hezzymania(m): 7:55am On Apr 06, 2017
I don't like Mtk for anything, boring bunch of device
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Mojibola(m): 8:14am On Apr 06, 2017
wildchild1:
Samsung all the way... #TeamSamsung hit the like button, others just waka pass grin

Check my signature for your football jerseys

I see you o, Abass
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by ITbomb(m): 8:14am On Apr 06, 2017
horlahwaley:
.. Pls how did u go about it am facing the same problem with the battery after upgrading to 6.0
Same way you upgraded to 6.0
Just go to Settings > About Phone > System update and check for the new version
It's about 379 MB.

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by ritababe(f): 8:19am On Apr 06, 2017
OkoYiboz:
Transsion holdings (owners of Tecno, iTel and Infinix) have no intellectual property rights over their products simply because they are just glorified marketers. They do not create, design or invent anything and do not have answers to the needs of their consumers.

What they do is to go to factories in China that mass produce phones and ask them to make X number of phones branded with the Tecno, iTel or infinix logo. These factories produce for Tecno and tecno sells them here in Africa.

Tecno releasees a lot of phones without OS and technical updates cos they have no intellectual input in the research and production of these devices. Unfortunately, these phones are sold to unsuspecting Nigerians at outrageous prices.

Xiaomi, a Chinese brand releases more phones than Tecno yearly and the support is massive. In 2015, Xiaomi sold about 70 million phones, yet the xiaomi products from 3 years ago are still getting updates while those who bought Tecno phones last year haven't gotten anything.

My sympathy goes to unsuspecting Nigerians that keep buying these interior Tecno, Infinix and iTel phones at outrageous prices. The phones are so useless that they don't sell them in India. It's only in Africa that they are sold. If you sell crap like Tecno in China, you may be sentenced to firing squad.

sharap, they sell tecno in London is it China that they wont sell?
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Zane2point4(m): 8:31am On Apr 06, 2017
Well i dont know about other mobile devices, but i think gionee even has an app that checks for updates steady or manually.

But naija funny shaa, oya go and get a samsung s8 for 600k that you wil update since you are dangote.

Its still better we use the very Chinese fons we use at moderate prices then change the fon entirely if the need arises.

Since fon na ur problem go and buy it for 600k blc u need update.

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by MzJin(f): 8:33am On Apr 06, 2017
NaijaTechGuy post=5530556[color=#000099:
[/color]2]While Europe, Asia and America receive updates to their devices, Africa is often left in the dark by the so called popular OEMs. Android 7.0 seems like a fantasy until users of their devices either risk ruining their warranty by installing a custom rom or get a new device.
I don't see any reason why there should even be a software update option if the device won't ever be updated. It now seems the software update option is slowly turning to bloatware.

Most Tecno users will definitely agree with me that when it comes to software updates, Tecno is definitely one of the worst. Infinix struggles to churn out updates. iTel is almost nothing to write home about when it comes to OTA updates. I decided to make a little research and here's what I can say about the whole OTA Update issue.

Constant Use of Mediatek Processors In Their Phones

MediaTekā„¢ does not share its kernel source codes for free. OEMs have to buy the source codes at extremely high prices to get the phones upgraded to the next version of Android. If you want frequent upgrades from a company stay away from MTK phones.

Too Many Devices In The Market

Big smartphone companies regulate the period of time their phones will last in the market. You don't see Samsung or HTC releasing almost 15 devices in one year. Even if they have to, they make sure the some of the devices are exclusive to some particular countries.

However when it comes to the Transission Holdings OEM's they launch like ten to fifteen phones in one market in a year thereby leaving no room for any updates.

Here's a case scenario :

Tecno launches a new device in the market. So the team that is responsible for the software concentrates more in clearing out the bugs and tuning it. But again Tecno launches another device, so the team has to concentrate more on their new device.
Whenever Google rolls out an update Tecno has to customise it for their phones but they are obviously too slow and focused on getting more smartphones into the market and getting the bigger share of smartphone sales.

Use Of Customized UI

New Tecno smartphones run on HiOs while Infinix runs on XUI. Tecno phones run on modded Android, to tweak and develop the software and interface takes quite some time, and resources to test and work out the bugs in the codes unlike phones with stock Android which takes less time to get done and updates are available quicker.

What about LG phones
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by biztip: 8:40am On Apr 06, 2017
most times we Africans like to acquire things we don't really need. what's special abt updates. I still use a device dt runs on android4.4 and its OK for me BC it does everytin I want. even some Oyibo people doesn't care abt all these things. just like someone going to buy a phone wit 6gb ram. what for.just for show
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Spidermon: 8:50am On Apr 06, 2017
People will defend d crap phones they use at any cost.

I use a tecno w4 and from the first week, i knew it was trash.

If i cant buy a samsung, sony or iphone, i will rather use tonasobe
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by wildchild1: 9:01am On Apr 06, 2017
Mojibola:

I see you o, Abass

Lols... Who you ooo, identify yourself grin
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by xjiggy: 9:02am On Apr 06, 2017
To be truthful, nobody know Tecno, Geonee, Infinix or Itel for China. Their major phone manufacturers na Huawei and Xiaomi. These companies dey the top 10 mobile companies in the world for over 5yrs yet dem no dey sell for 9ja

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by horlahwaley(m): 9:06am On Apr 06, 2017
ITbomb:

Same way you upgraded to 6.0
Just go to Settings > About Phone > System update and check for the new version
It's about 379 MB.
thanx
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by softtouch2(m): 9:33am On Apr 06, 2017
ITbomb:
Total falsehood.
Go and do your research again.

I just updated my Gionee M5 mini.
After the last upgrade from Lollipop to Marshmallow (version 6), the battery display didn't reflect the true status of the battery.
This last update took care of that as you can see in the screenshot

Gionee is an MTK powered device
Gionee has many devices and finally
Gionee uses a modded Android called Amigo

Op is taking about Tecno and Infinix not GIONEE
MTK from Chinese OEM (Xiaomi, Huawei, Gionee etc) are updated via OTA (Over-The-Air).

Chinese non-OEM like Tecno and their kind must enter "black market" to get updates.
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Nobody: 9:40am On Apr 06, 2017
Tallesty1:
Your first reason is not 100% true.

I have received OTA updates on MEDIATEK devices.
Not true except it's an Android one device... MTK devices don't really support OTA updates..... more reason you should go for SD devices....most OEMs use SnapDragon chipsets
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Nobody: 9:50am On Apr 06, 2017
softtouch2:

MTK from Chinese OEM (Xiaomi, Huawei, Gionee etc) are updated via OTA (Over-The-Air).

Chinese non-OEM like Tecno and their kind must enter "black market" to get updates.
MTK devices are for The Asian market.....SD for global market... xiaomi for example makes devices for different markets... same device but different chipsets...that is MTK and SD....for example xiaomi redmi Note4...the MTK version doesn't support OTA but the SnapDragon version does!..... i ordered an SD version based on it's battery efficiency from AliExpress last month...and it's cheap $218...abt same price with a Tecno phantom that doesn't do shiiiii
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by ITbomb(m): 9:53am On Apr 06, 2017
softtouch2:

I am not arguing about the brand, the problem is the issues that he raised.
The reason Tecno doesn't do updates is not because they are mtk or producing too much phones. Like you rightly said Xiaomi is also mtk but is doing regular updates

Tecno are plain lazy and exploitative not an MTK issue

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by softtouch2(m): 9:55am On Apr 06, 2017
ITbomb:

I am not arguing about the brand, the problem is the issues that he raised.
The reason Tecno doesn't do updates is not because they are mtk or producing too much phones. Like you rightly said Xiaomi is also mtk but is doing regular updates

Tecno are plain lazy and exploitative not an MTK issue

You are right!
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by Tallesty1(m): 10:02am On Apr 06, 2017
Boj2:

Not true except it's an Android one device... MTK devices don't really support OTA updates..... more reason you should go for SD devices....most OEMs use SnapDragon chipsets
Some MEDIATEK devices not all
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by UncutSk(m): 10:24am On Apr 06, 2017
Because infinix and techno are Shite why no use xiaomi cool cool
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by UncutSk(m): 10:25am On Apr 06, 2017
iliyande:
Wow, very educating. But some foreign mtk devices update regularly. Eg. LeEco and xiaomi
xiaomi is not just mtk mine is snapdragon
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by iliyande(m): 10:31am On Apr 06, 2017
UncutSk:
xiaomi is not just mtk mine is snapdragon

you are right, but they produce mtk too
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by UncutSk(m): 10:33am On Apr 06, 2017
iliyande:

you are right, but they produce mtk too
yup you can't compare xiaomi to substandard infinix and tecno

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by d33types: 10:48am On Apr 06, 2017
All those reasons are flawed.

HTC, Sony, Xiaomi uses mediatek in some devices and they release updates regularly as well.

The number of products doesn't make them less efficient. Samsung has more models than tecno and infinix put together.

Almost all major brands have modified UI but still release updates. HTC has senseUI, Samsung has TouchWiz, Xiaomi has MIUI.
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by d33types: 10:49am On Apr 06, 2017
Tallesty1:
Your first reason is not 100% true.

I have received OTA updates on MEDIATEK devices.

Its is actually 100% false..
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by CellTabRepairs: 10:53am On Apr 06, 2017
In-depth info in the book.

Click My Name & View That Resource You Need To Learn and Earn!
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by israelmao(m): 10:58am On Apr 06, 2017
OTA means Over-the-air.Don't assume the everybody knows the full meaning.
Re: Reasons Why Tecno And Infinix Find It Difficult To Send OTA Updates by VeecThorr(m): 11:14am On Apr 06, 2017
Needless to say, I'm never buying an infinix again.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Of Phones Suitable For The New Ntel 4G LTE SERVICE / Mobile Phone And Its Battery Life. #A MUST READ / Tecno Choose Dubai Over London For Phanthom 6 Lunch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.