Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,387 members, 7,894,663 topics. Date: Friday, 19 July 2024 at 01:22 PM

China Executes British Citizen For Drug Smuggling. . . - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / China Executes British Citizen For Drug Smuggling. . . (924 Views)

Nigerian Student Smuggling 20kg Of Drugs From China Has Been Arrested In Malaysi / Okwudili Ayotanze To Be Executed In Indonesia For Drug Smuggling / Nigerian Drug Smuggling Gang Busted In Pakistan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

China Executes British Citizen For Drug Smuggling. . . by paddylo1(m): 2:49pm On Dec 29, 2009
China executes British citizen for drug smuggling
TUESDAY, 29 DECEMBER 2009 13:33 ADMINISTRATOR
User Rating: / 0
PoorBest

The British government condemned China's execution of a British national Tuesday on drug smuggling charges. "I , am appalled and disappointed that our persistent requests for clemency have not been granted," Prime Minister Gordon Brown said. "I am particularly concerned that no mental health assessment was undertaken." CNN reports that Akmal Shaikh was convicted of carrying up to 4 kilograms (8.8 pounds) of heroin at the Urumqi Airport in September 2007. China says he received due process under its laws, and he exhausted his appeals last week.
The British Foreign Office confirmed Tuesday's execution, however, there was no immediate comment from China. Ahead of carrying out the death sentence, China said it had followed the law. "This case has always been handled according to law. During the trial, the defendant has been guaranteed his legal rights," Jiang Yu, spokeswoman for China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said last week. "Everyone knows that international drug smuggling is a grave crime."
The 53-year-old is the first European executed in China in 50 years, according to the British legal group Reprieve.
"The family express their grief at the Chinese decision to refuse mercy," a statement released by Reprieve said, thanking "all those who tried hard to bring about a different result." His family and the British government had asked Chinese leaders for clemency. His supporters argued that Shaikh was mentally ill, and that Chinese officials did not take his mental condition into account when trying him. Shaikh's advocates say he suffered from a bipolar disorder and that he was tricked into carrying heroin into China with promises of a career as a pop singer. Brown raised Shaikh's case with Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao during the international climate summit in Denmark earlier this month.
http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7128:china-executes-british-citizen-for-drug-smuggling&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: China Executes British Citizen For Drug Smuggling. . . by MrCrackles(m): 2:53pm On Dec 29, 2009
I dont even know what to believe here. . .
China stressing there was no record of his mental condition seemed to be the final nail in the poor man's coffin. . .
Maybe if it was properly documented, perhaps there might have been some sort of rethink on the issue. . .
Oh well may his soul RIP sad
Re: China Executes British Citizen For Drug Smuggling. . . by paddylo1(m): 2:54pm On Dec 29, 2009
what this goes to show is that the british have declined as any type of world power. . .

while china is steadily rising, i suggest that if our leaders have half a brain,they should be forging stronger ties with china

as this new century surely belongs to them

IMF already forecast that china will overtake japan in 2010. . .and become the 2nd largest economy in the world

and will overtake the U.SA in 2030
Re: China Executes British Citizen For Drug Smuggling. . . by kosovo(m): 2:56pm On Dec 29, 2009
Moved To Crime
Re: China Executes British Citizen For Drug Smuggling. . . by RichyBlacK(m): 2:58pm On Dec 29, 2009
Classic Chinese soullessness!
Re: China Executes British Citizen For Drug Smuggling. . . by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 29, 2009
paddy_lo:

what this goes to show is that the british have declined as any type of world power. . .

while china is steadily rising, i suggest that if our leaders have half a brain,they should be forging stronger ties with china

as this new century surely belongs to them

IMF already forecast that china will overtake japan in 2010. . .and become the 2nd largest economy in the world

and will overtake the U.SA in 2030

will they listen?
China is the way forward in today's world.Te US is also undergoing steady decline and only its military prowess is cropping up its image in the world
Re: China Executes British Citizen For Drug Smuggling. . . by shotster50(m): 3:39am On Jan 01, 2010
The world has indeed gone bonkers. By the time these people are through with Africa, una go begin speak mandarin.
Re: China Executes British Citizen For Drug Smuggling. . . by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jan 04, 2010
Yeah

The chinese don't give a damn, they follow their laws: white or black  tongue killed, nobody is above the law.

I used to read newspapers here and you see how they kill people anyhow  grin I fear this people oooo  grin Friendly  smiley and Wicked  angry

Just don't fall into their trap even Obama can't rescue you

According to CNN, the British Prime Minister appealed not to execute him but his request was denied  undecided

For more info: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/china.britain.smuggler/index.html

I think the Chinese are trying to take over or what? even the world super powers can't appeal  shocked

(1) (Reply)

Sam Milla And His Baseless Allegations / Sham Marriage Immigrations Jailed Nigerian For 3 Years / End Of The Road For Armed Robber (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.