Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,620 members, 7,882,101 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 03:34 PM

Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? (1911 Views)

He Took Holy Communion And Had Sex After Church, Any Repercusion? / New Way Of Receiving Holy Communion Due To Ebola Virus / Are Pastors Thieves Without Guns? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by TuCow: 7:11am On Dec 30, 2009
And he took bread, and brake it, and gave thanks and gave unto them saying: “This is my body which is given for you, this do in remembrance of me”.
Likewise also the cup after supper, saying” this cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.” Luke 22:19-20

The passage quoted above is the bedrock of what we Christians call Holy Communion.  Jesus kept it simple and solemn, and It is for remembrance only.
That being the case, how come all the rules, regulations and red tape that has been introduced into this simple act? For example:

Don’t eat Holy Communion if you are not baptized by immersion

Don’t eat if you don’t have the Holy Spirit/speak in toungues

Don’t eat if you are divorced, or separated from your spouse

Don’t eat if you still fall into temptation from time to time

Don’t eat if you’re not legally married to your spouse

Don’t eat if you are the second wife in your home e.t.c, e.t.c

At the end of the day, about 98% of the congregation has already been eliminated. Seeing that Jesus never asked all these conditions of his disciples, are Pastors doing right by forcing man-made rules on the congregation?
Is Christendom doing it the way Jesus laid down?

Your thoughts please
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by SeanT21(f): 7:18am On Dec 30, 2009
What denomination are U?? Everyone takes it in my church.
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by AKO1(m): 8:30am On Dec 30, 2009
On my way out of a very popular non-denominational church in Ibadan, I saw a sign saying:

"NO WEARING OF LIPSTICK DURING HOLY COMMUNION OR YOU WILL BE PASSED"

I stopped and took a picture with my phone and somehow it has disappeared from my hard disk cry
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by Image123(m): 8:41am On Dec 30, 2009
AKO
That is called a 'film trick'
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by PastorAIO: 12:28pm On Dec 30, 2009
Another interesting observation is that not that many church gatherings share this eucharistic meal. And those that do give you a sip of wine and a tiny wafer at most.

Yet we know that it was a full meal when Christ instituted it and the early church practiced it. Are the pastor afraid of the cost of wining and dining their entire congregations. I can bet if they were actually practicing the proper eucharistic meal they wouldn't be so keen for so many converts. That will just be shortening their ration.

I can categorically state that the central act of Christian fellowship and worship is the Shared Meal. Christians worshipped by coming together to eat and drink. There is no way that a christian could remain famished after leaving church. It is nourishment that they devoted themselves too. I quote -

Acts2:42
And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.

Acts2:46
And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they partook of food with glad and generous hearts,

Paul makes direct reference to this practice when he reproaches the corinthians, and we can learn a lot about this christian practice from the text.

Cor11:21
For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal, and one is hungry and another is drunk.

It seems obvious and clear to me that there was enough wine going around for some people to actually be getting drunk. He also berates the fact that at the end of the service there should still remain people who are hungry. Let us, however, take a closer look at the whole text in context.

Cor11:20-22
When you meet together, it is not the Lord's supper that you eat. For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal, and one is hungry and another is drunk. What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I commend you in this? No. I will not.
They asserted, however, that the sum and substance of their fault or error had been that they were accustomed to meet on a fixed day before dawn and sing responsively a hymn to Christ as to a god, and to bind themselves by oath, not to some crime, but not to commit fraud, theft, or adultery, not falsify their trust, nor to refuse to return a trust when called upon to do so. When this was over, it was their custom to depart and to assemble again to partake of food--but ordinary and innocent food.
Pliny to Emperor Trajan about the christians he encountered in the 2nd century.

Now all this ties in very neatly with the whole idea of tithes. Because that too is a feast that is shared in order to worship God. Those who have are supposed to provide for those that do not have, the widows, the orphans, and the levites who do not have an inheritance amongst the people. In fact we find that sharing a meal is a common form of worship in all traditional religions around the world. Why is it that it is only in these new fangled churches that people do not eat? Why? And they are paying tithes, but nobody is eating inside the tithe. The pastor is just using it to buy expensive suits. What a farce!
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by harakiri(m): 9:37pm On Dec 30, 2009
We eat Agege bread with agoyin beans as holy communion every sunday service.What isn't right about that?
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by TuCow: 10:41pm On Dec 30, 2009
SeanT21:

What denomination are U?? Everyone takes it in my church.

Believe me SeanT21, in my church(Pentecostal) not everyone does. To qualify, you must have passed so many "tests" of "holiness".

Why all these rules? Jesus did not set any conditions after all. In fact, I believe the disciples were still sinners when they ate the passover with Jesus. So why are our Pastors being so Holier than thou?
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by SeanT21(f): 6:01am On Dec 31, 2009
TuCow:

Believe me SeanT21, in my church(Pentecostal) not everyone does. To qualify, you must have passed so many "tests" of "holiness".

Why all these rules? Jesus did not set any conditions after all. In fact, I believe the disciples were still sinners when they ate the passover with Jesus. So why are our Pastors being so Holier than thou?

Very wrong indeed. It should be a personal choice. You need to tell that pastor that he's wrong.
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by KunleOshob(m): 8:56am On Dec 31, 2009
SeanT21:

Very wrong indeed. It should be a personal choice. You need to tell that pastor that he's wrong.
PAstors are never wrong, they are infallible grin
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by PastorAIO: 1:29pm On Dec 31, 2009
harakiri:

We eat Agege bread with agoyin beans as holy communion every sunday service.What isn't right about that?

That is very correct of you guys.
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by JeSoul(f): 4:24pm On Dec 31, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Another interesting observation is that not that many church gatherings share this eucharistic meal. And those that do give you a sip of wine and a tiny wafer at most.

Yet we know that it was a full meal when Christ instituted it and the early church practiced it. Are the pastor afraid of the cost of wining and dining their entire congregations. I can bet if they were actually practicing the proper eucharistic meal they wouldn't be so keen for so many converts. That will just be shortening their ration.
Pliny to Emperor Trajan about the christians he encountered in the 2nd century.

Now all this ties in very neatly with the whole idea of tithes. Because that too is a feast that is shared in order to worship God. Those who have are supposed to provide for those that do not have, the widows, the orphans, and the levites who do not have an inheritance amongst the people. In fact we find that sharing a meal is a common form of worship in all traditional religions around the world. Why is it that it is only in these new fangled churches that people do not eat? Why? And they are paying tithes, but nobody is eating inside the tithe. The pastor is just using it to buy expensive suits. What a farce!

My dude was talking to me about this very point few days ago. You're 100% right and I wonder how "communion" shrunk from its original form into what we have today. The early Catholic church?
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by KunleOshob(m): 4:34pm On Dec 31, 2009
JeSoul:

My dude was talking to me about this very point few days ago. You're 100% right and[b] I wonder how "communion" shrunk from its original form into what we have today.[/b] The early Catholic church?

Cost cutting strategies which leads to short changing the congregation and the poor/needy whichs leads to profit maximization grin
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by JeSoul(f): 4:40pm On Dec 31, 2009
KunleOshob:

Cost cutting strategies which leads to short changing the congregation and the poor/needy whichs leads to profit maximization grin
Lol . . . I cannot even laugh, this is spot on. But seriously, where do you think this practice started from? it must have come from the early catholic church and carried over into the protestant denominations, no?
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by Recognise: 4:52pm On Dec 31, 2009
Likely out of ignorance, most christians, only drink/have Christ's blood occasionally, when conducted in "church"

Snipped from the below thread

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=310616.msg4391487#msg4391487
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by Zikkyy(m): 7:52pm On Dec 31, 2009
KunleOshob:

I agree with the current practice. Considering the size of the congregation, you will need to triple the tithe & other takings to serve a full meal sad sad
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by ancel(m): 9:21pm On Dec 31, 2009
LOL. Full meal? Church go dey full well well every communion service! cheesy
Re: Holy Communion: Are Pastors Doing It Right? by JeSoul(f): 8:09pm On Jan 01, 2010
Zikkyy:

I agree with the current practice. Considering the size of the congregation, you will need to triple the tithe & other takings to serve a full meal sad sad

or instead of increasing the collection of money, how about churches manage what they have more efficiently?

Perhaps churches were never meant to be so "big" and "mega" that the intimate fellowshipping and sharing of communion as we see in the early church would become impossible for us to follow in?

I know we cannot replicate every practice we read about in the NT in these modern times, but still, I think this is one issue that we should re-think the current modification we've shrunk it down to.

(1) (Reply)

I Have A Question For Knowledgeable Christains / Reflection/homily: Fourth (4th) Sunday Of Lent Year C (march 10 2013) / Some Facts About The Song "Amazing Grace"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.