Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,762 members, 7,930,616 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 11:14 PM

Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) (73573 Views)

Two Airplanes Collide At Lagos Airport / Bike Share Graveyard Where Thousands Of Bicycles Are Abandoned In China(photo) / The White Man Graveyard In Bayelsa: Paul Arkwright To Visit Memorial Park (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by AngelicBeing: 7:39am On Apr 14, 2017
sad
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by starlite1: 8:00am On Apr 14, 2017
izzou:
I really feel so sad

How did we even get here?

Think no more my bro. Our orientation and thought process are very faulty.

No nation can ever progress with a population of humans who reason like animals in a jungle.

Animals in jungles always fight each other, trample on the weak just to sustain themselves. They don't care what happens to others provided they themselves are fine.
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Nduemma12(m): 8:15am On Apr 14, 2017
Goahead:
Our leaders are intellectually handicapped. We have many tourist attractions, transport those planes to these places and convert them to restaurants, Internet cafe and other useful spots.
you made a point. 5ive stars for you.
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by iluvdonjazzy: 8:41am On Apr 14, 2017
Nigeriadondie:

Guy na u try cos Okada was launched 1983. I first boarded Okada Air from Benin to Lagos in 1986 this I can recall very well
pls who own okada air?
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by flowjoe: 8:54am On Apr 14, 2017
what an eyesore cry
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Fact007(m): 9:05am On Apr 14, 2017
Explorers:
A Nigeria Airways Vickers VC-10, leased from BOAC, at Ikeja Airport in 1969.

A company Fokker Friendship is in the background.
if Nigeria is still like this I will prefer than now grin grin
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Nigeriadondie: 9:24am On Apr 14, 2017
iluvdonjazzy:
pls who own okada air?
Na Cheif Gabriel Igbinedion the father of Lucky Igbinedion former governor of Edo state.
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Priceless200(f): 9:39am On Apr 14, 2017
Explorers:
Defunct airlines in Nigeria.

ADC Airlines

Afrijet Airlines

Air Atlantic Cargo

Air Nigeria

Albarka Air

AL-AIR Al-Dawood Air

Amako Air

Amed Air

Arax Airlines

Axiom Air

Barnax Air

Bellview Airlines

Capital Airlines

Chrome Air Service

Dasab Airlines

Earth Airlines

EAS Airlines

Easy Link Aviation

Freedom Air Services

Fresh Air

GAS Air Nigeria

Hamsal Air

Harco Air Services

Hold-Trade Air

British Aircraft Corporation

IAT Cargo Airlines

Intercontinental Airlines (Nigeria)

Mangal Airlines

Meridian Airlines

Nicon Airways

Nigeria Airways

Nigeria One

Nigerian Global Aviation

Okada Air

Overnight Cargo Nigeria

Pan African Airlines

Premium Air Shuttle

Sosoliso Airlines

Space World International Airlines

Trans Sahara Air

Triax Airlines

Virgin Nigeria

Wings Aviation.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201609190801.html

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

Huh! Explorers
Triax still dey oo. Owned by Arthur Eze, it's still operative till date. Only operating as private airline now, only privates jets. Please edit this list.

Wow mehn.. Sosoliso, so it is defunct now, chei, it's so sad. The very first plane I entered in life, I can never forget. Was in junior secondary then, felt like a dream. Wehdone Explorers

1 Like

Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by yanbaba57643525: 10:50am On Apr 14, 2017
So much more for an happy ending after winning fixed game. Details below
contact or whatxap +234-812-2298-319
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by iluvdonjazzy: 11:19am On Apr 14, 2017
Nigeriadondie:

Na Cheif Gabriel Igbinedion the father of Lucky Igbinedion former governor of Edo state.
and u say it has been operating since 1983
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Nigeriadondie: 11:33am On Apr 14, 2017
iluvdonjazzy:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okada_Air
I hope that wud do. In addition to d fact that I told u I boarded my first flight ever in my life with Okada from Benin to Lagos cos we were relocating to Lagos due to transfer of my dad from Guiness Benin Brewery to Guiness Ogba, Lagos and it was in 1986 i was very young at d time
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by ReneeNuttall(f): 12:12pm On Apr 14, 2017
Emerituz:

I just dey feel you man, loving your posts always. More power to your elbow bro.

same thing with Benin airport, u need to see the number of planes rotting away.some of them have been over taken by over grown grasses and Spirogyra. what a waste if money.
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Emerituz(m): 12:23pm On Apr 14, 2017
ReneeNuttall:

same thing with Benin airport, u need to see the number of planes rotting away.some of them have been over taken by over grown grasses and Spirogyra. what a waste if money.
Na wa o
After seeing all these i just concluded that we don't know where we are heading for in this Nation.
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by ROCE: 1:19pm On Apr 14, 2017
OP, you forget this picture for your narration

https://www.nairaland.com/3620187/ben-bruce-poses-plane-ojukwu
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by metallisc(m): 4:30pm On Apr 14, 2017
Eaa247:

wat a shame. how did Nigeria retrogressed to this point.

if you want to know, go back to 1983-85. The same person that set Nigeria on the reverse path is still the same person the sai-baba! crowd voted in blindly two years ago, and we have lost all progress gathered in the past 30-something years all over again (people will buy into media propaganda rather than facts, because the majority of the populace are lazy and docile).

Nigerians never used to 'run abroad', it was actually the other way round, until this idiot came and ruined peoples dreams and aspirations with backward and outdated policies that had no place in modern society... and people started looking for better opportunities outside the country. The same thing is happening all over again, because we have refused to learn as a people.

The air transport situation is a continued reminder of what peoples hope and aspirations have become... big ambitions and no enabling environment to soar beyond the clouds at a sustained rate due to backward and crippling policies.

1 Like

Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by metallisc(m): 4:39pm On Apr 14, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Yet we elected the same man who destroyed our aviation industry back as president again in 2015 , soon as usual the carcass of Arikair and Aero will soon litre that graveyard

the average nigerian needs historical re-orientation to be able to move forward progressively... but i guess it is too late now, we warned - they didn't listen..

so........

1 Like

Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by metallisc(m): 4:55pm On Apr 14, 2017
Chyma1:
Where did you get that from? Okada air was established in 1983 and grounded in 1997

forgive him, his brain is working in reverse gear! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by jpphilips(m): 6:11pm On Apr 14, 2017
seguno2:

Do you think that Britain was different from this some centuries ago?
How did they change?
We should continue to make our own contribution for progess.

How does a BS like this make sense to you?

1 Like

Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Crownofwealth(m): 8:56pm On Apr 14, 2017
sometimes i wonder if we are going forward or backward as a nation.
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Nigeriadondie: 10:05pm On Apr 14, 2017
Crownofwealth:
sometimes i wonder if we are going forward or backward as a nation.
Nothing to wonder about u can see the handwriting on d wall. Naija is doomed going backwards
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Nigeriadondie: 10:09pm On Apr 14, 2017
iluvdonjazzy:
Shey u don see wetin i dey talk now. When i dey tell u something u think say i no know wetin i dey talk?
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Shaadey: 10:27pm On Apr 14, 2017
Explorers:
A close look at some of the abandoned aircraft has revealed that many have deteriorated beyond redemption such that they can only be sold as scraps to aluminum smelters or iron and steel factories at peanuts.
Kai,Iron condemn niyen
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by babalonimi: 10:49pm On Apr 14, 2017
Will God ever forgive dis country fr wasting f resources he has given to us God!!! u r all sufficient God. Feel like crying
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Codes151(m): 12:08am On Apr 15, 2017
When u put incompetent cows in office
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by iluvdonjazzy: 5:33am On Apr 15, 2017
Nigeriadondie:

Shey u don see wetin i dey talk now. When i dey tell u something u think say i no know wetin i dey talk?
me?
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by uckennety(m): 9:49pm On Apr 16, 2017
MakeADifference:
Nigeria isn't a country!!! By geography it may be one, but by responsibility, it isnt.

(And those who call it a zoo better get lost now, they are also a big part of the troublem)

Geographically we ain't one
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Nobody: 8:22am On Mar 18, 2019
its worthy to note that not all of these airlines failed as a result of poor management, some failed as a result of increased global competition and unfavorable policies from western nations, that barred planes from Nigeria from entering their countries yet they forced our govts to open our skies for their planes.

newer air crafts were just too expensive to buy in numbers for the average Nigerian entrepreneur, other things like test and service equipment could only be sourced abroad, our aeronautical engineering students cant thrive here, they go abroad and are lost forever.

doesnt it surprise you thay in yhe 90s we had kabo air, chanchangi air, okada air and othet private airlines, then in one swoop they disappeared all at once, me thinks there was a ploy to decimate these indigenous airlines.
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by juliebest(f): 9:56am On Mar 19, 2019
Chai, I weep for my country
Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Konquest: 2:17am On Mar 23, 2019
Explorers:
Nigerian airports have become an eyesore as both functional and grounded airlines have turned them into graveyards for dead aircraft o a first time visitor to Nigeria’s airports in Lagos, Port Harcourt, Abuja or Kano, they look like graveyards for dead airplanes.

http://www.theafricanaviationtribune.com/2012/11/nigeria-pics-faan-again-gives-aircraft.html

http://planespotter.iteg.co.za/Graveyards_of_Dead_Planes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria_Airways?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C4457928227

^^^^^
^^^^^

One of the 4 Airbus A-310s Nigeria bought fresh from the French
factory in the 1980s below. I flew on 2 of of the 4 planes, first in 1988.

Sad that by mid 2000s, the planes were already in the junk yard!

1 Share

Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Jakumo(m): 5:50am On Mar 23, 2019
quentin06:
its worthy to note that not all of these airlines failed as a result of poor management, some failed as a result of increased global competition and unfavorable policies from western nations, that barred planes from Nigeria from entering their countries yet they forced our govts to open our skies for their planes.

newer air crafts were just too expensive to buy in numbers for the average Nigerian entrepreneur, other things like test and service equipment could only be sourced abroad, our aeronautical engineering students cant thrive here, they go abroad and are lost forever.

doesnt it surprise you thay in yhe 90s we had kabo air, chanchangi air, okada air and othet private airlines, then in one swoop they disappeared all at once, me thinks there was a ploy to decimate these indigenous airlines.

Aircraft have a limited, finite lifespan, after which they MUST be scrapped, so that they do not fall apart in the sky, due to metal fatigue cracks, among thousands of other possible mechanical failures.

Since Nigerian-owned aircraft are often bought USED, they are already well on their way to the point of no return, even before they are repainted and used for regional air travel within the country.

With this in mind, it is not a sign of "poor maintenance culture", to see aircraft rusting away in Africa, since there are substantially LARGER aircraft scrap yards in the Arizona desert.

Re: Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) by Ishilove: 6:00am On Mar 23, 2019
Jakumo:

Aircraft have a limited, finite lifespan, after which they MUST be scrapped, so that they do not fall apart in the sky, due to metal fatigue cracks, among thousands of other possible mechanical failures.

Since Nigerian-owned aircraft are often bought USED, they are already well on their way to the point of no return, even before they are repainted and used for regional air travel within the country.

With this in mind, it is not a sign of "poor maintenance culture", to see aircraft rusting away in Africa, since there are substantially LARGER aircraft scrap yards in the Arizona desert.
Why keep such planes? Why not butcher them and use them for spare parts as we do here in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / Is Ojodu-Berger Bus Stop Toilet The Most Sophisticated Public Toilet In Nigeria? / Look At The Bridge Chinese Constructed In China And The Type They Built For Us.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.