Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,266 members, 7,891,248 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 10:29 AM

Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos (43000 Views)

2 people Die As Helicopter Crashes Into Building in Opebi / This Train Passes Directly Through A 19 Storey Residential Building In China / Photo Of Overspeeding Car That Flew Into The 2nd Floor Of A Building In The U.S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by eluquenson(m): 1:58pm On Apr 15, 2017
Long time ago
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by ontruth(m): 1:59pm On Apr 15, 2017
Op where is the Storey building?

1 Like

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Customer80: 2:01pm On Apr 15, 2017
There was nothing like Nigeria then, Nigeria came into existence in 1914 , it was Lagos colony then
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Philinho(m): 2:01pm On Apr 15, 2017
They brought peace but opposite side brought war n bomb
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Positivist: 2:02pm On Apr 15, 2017
This is not true. The first storey build in Nigeria is the Gobarau Minaret in Katsina State. It was built over 400 years before the Badagry building.

3 Likes

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Toks2008(m): 2:05pm On Apr 15, 2017
stephenduru:
Vicky and her friends took a tour of Badagry Slave Port where they were shown the first storey building in Nigeria.She shared the photos on social media and wrote...

'Then we had to work some few kilometers away from the first administrative building to the first Storey building in Nigeria built in 1845. Outside this building use to be an AGIA TREE where Christianity was first preached by Rev. Birch Freeman of Methodist Church. Discretely, everyone said a silent word of prayer here because we were told that prayers said here always get answered. Oh! The miracle well that houses the cleanest water I have ever tasted was there. It was dug by Slaves. It’s called miracle well because it is the only well free from salt in the whole environs.

Inside the building were portraits of men like Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther and several other notable men who work on establishing Christianity in Nigeria.

We also saw a broken Chair that was so much taken care of like glass wares cared for by a woman. “What is so special about this Chair Mr Ade? “ One of us asked our tour guide. We learnt it is the last chair standing since 1859 in the iconic building. I felt blessed to be there and some of spiritually just engulfed me. But our tour was just about to start'

Source: http://www.trezzyhelm.com/2017/04/photos-of-first-storey-building-in.html

It's actually the first officially recorded storey building but there have been some before that

The most amazing fact about that place 8s that well that never runs dry...very pure and amazingly clean....I took a bottle of that water home and about a year now it has not changed nor grown any firm of germs...So Amazing.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by biggietreasures(m): 2:06pm On Apr 15, 2017
I was there last year

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by codemaniacs: 2:07pm On Apr 15, 2017
k

3 Likes

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Nobody: 2:09pm On Apr 15, 2017
I heard someone talking of honeymoon in that building. Hahahahahahah you cannot stay there o. Inside that building spells like Maggi, perhaps because it is a wooden structure.
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by legendary16(m): 2:11pm On Apr 15, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:
A honeymoon in that won't be bad

na honeymoon resort??
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by YonkijiSappo: 2:16pm On Apr 15, 2017
Customer80:
lies, a siera lonian of Igbo descent brought Christianity to the Igbos, while Mary slessor campaigned vigorously against killing of twins in eastern Nigeria not ajayi crowther young man

I am not talking about killing of twins in Eastern Nigeria, I am talking about Killing twins among Igbos specifically.

2 Likes

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Customer80: 2:17pm On Apr 15, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

I am not talking about killing of twins in Eastern Nigeria, I am talking about Killing twins among Igbos specifically.
CLOWN

3 Likes

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Benekruku(m): 2:23pm On Apr 15, 2017
So Thomas Birch Freeman imported Christianity to Nigeria grin grin grin Telling us how a man in the Middle-East died for our sins in Africa grin grin grin

If Christianity came into Nigeria at this age, It will be strongly booted out. Who is gonna buy that crap at this age

1 Like

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by bebe2(f): 2:25pm On Apr 15, 2017
So nah oyinbo build am grin cheesy
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by moorme(m): 2:45pm On Apr 15, 2017
adelakay:
Waiting for the Easterners
Another AFONJA!!
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by donhils: 3:15pm On Apr 15, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:
A honeymoon in that won't be bad
Gawd forbid.
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by chiraqDemon(m): 3:54pm On Apr 15, 2017
TosineGuy:
in that last pic, i dey see a wooden chair suspended in the air or is it my eyes
If it is in naija then believe it.....nor be we again
When u go wake up for night see rat de search ur wallet for money then e come fly comot.......... with wings o

1 Like

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Princejboy(m): 4:50pm On Apr 15, 2017
benedictnsi:

If you impregnate your wife in this type of place cos of honeymoon........

I pity the brain cells of the baby in this 21st century
the baby wld b a superkid bcus he wld b a able to tell these we don't even know about.
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Pvibe007: 5:07pm On Apr 15, 2017
PAGAN9JA:

CHRISTIANITY- Preaching god on one side and practicing slavery on the other.

This place should be commemorated as the birthplace of Nigeria's mental slavery.

The place should be burnt down and a shrine to the GODS of our ancestors be consecrated in its place.
angry

Don't yab nonsense. just because you have fingers to type.

Killing of twins was done only by a small section of the Ijaw, namely the Kalabari. not by any other tribe in Nigeria.

this was just missionary propaganda to paint traditional Nigerian faiths in bad light and to gain converts.

Moreover, Osu oppression started after conversion to chrsitianity whereby Osu (former sacrificed shrine attendants of deities) were considered evil and dirty because they were associated with the old Gods.

in pre-colonial times Osu were rather respected and feared because of their association with the Gods. this role reversed after the coming of xtianity. and then post Nigerian independence you see a reversal of trend again whereby local Nigerian pastors start advocating against Osu and blaiming Osu discrimination on traditional religion.

Wake up Nigeria! angry

Please say what you know. There was never a time Osu was respected or feared. The Osu caste system is an age long ibo tradition where by innocent people were presented to the gods as sacrifice to avert calamity in the land, after the sacrifice they are left to roam about their masters enclave, they are not allowed to socialize with the masters people(freeborn). The Osu caste is hereditary once an Osu, his generation remains an Osu.
This is one practice I dislike and I want abolished. Am a freeborn and I believe everyone born into this world are freeborns too.
Shalom!!

2 Likes

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Basic123: 5:08pm On Apr 15, 2017
Customer80:
lies, a siera lonian of Igbo descent brought Christianity to the Igbos, while Mary slessor campaigned vigorously against killing of twins in eastern Nigeria not ajayi crowther young man
but you cant deny the fact that Ajayi Crowther produced the first igbo bible.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:41pm On Apr 15, 2017
Pvibe007:

Please say what you know. There was never a time Osu was respected or feared. The Osu caste system is an age long ibo tradition where by innocent people were presented to the gods as sacrifice to avert calamity in the land, after the sacrifice they are left to roam about their masters enclave, they are not allowed to socialize with the masters people(freeborn). The Osu caste is hereditary once an Osu, his generation remains an Osu.
This is one practice I dislike and I want abolished. Am a freeborn and I believe everyone born into this world are freeborns too.
Shalom!!

Stop repeating what your text book knowledge. What do you know of Osu? Its you ppl who give tags such as freeborn or wat not. Osu were not chained or anything. they were dedicated to the Gods. they were provided food, shelter etc. by the entire village that prayed at the shrine. infact ppl were scared to offend them lest they incur the wrath of the Gods. its only after xtian incursion that Osu became hereditary because those families were associated with Paganism and considered unclean.

Osu system doesnt even exist now. most of the shrines across Igboland have fallen into disuse and have abandoned this practice long ago thanks to the destructive cult of xtianity which only knows how to demonize African faiths.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Customer80: 6:41pm On Apr 15, 2017
Basic123:
but you cant deny the fact that Ajayi Crowther produced the first igbo bible.
show the fact
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by isalegan2: 7:19pm On Apr 15, 2017
PAGAN9JA:

CHRISTIANITY- Preaching god on one side and practicing slavery on the other.

This place should be commemorated as the birthplace of Nigeria's mental slavery.

The place should be burnt down and a shrine to the GODS of our ancestors be consecrated in its place.
angry

Don't yab nonsense. just because you have fingers to type.

Killing of twins was done only by a small section of the Ijaw, namely the Kalabari. not by any other tribe in Nigeria.

this was just missionary propaganda to paint traditional Nigerian faiths in bad light and to gain converts.

Infact it is technically not possible in other tribes because most Nigerian traditional faiths rever twins as sacred and some even consider them as representatives of dual force deities . e.g. Orisa Ibeji (Yoruba)

Moreover, Osu oppression started after conversion to chrsitianity whereby Osu (former sacrificed shrine attendants of deities) were considered evil and dirty because they were associated with the old Gods.

in pre-colonial times Osu were rather respected and feared because of their association with the Gods. this role reversed after the coming of xtianity. and then post Nigerian independence you see a reversal of trend again whereby local Nigerian pastors start advocating against Osu and blaiming Osu discrimination on traditional religion.

Wake up Nigeria! angry

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5160495_201702141858321167457448_jpeg99ee57a5da69a701f4ef4d6233eadc20

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5160496_74496782182964b4d4cd629f72755cc2_jpeg8e22923fe661cd5d1a2380710c94fbb0

Thank you eternally! One of my favourite Nairalanders of all time. I was just speechless as I read the thread. I doubt it is even the first storey building in Lagos. And the girl is posing like it's a glamour shot - in front of a place of misery for our kin. Worse of all, they're celebrating some nonsense about missionaries who the whole time were using their religion to subjugate and denying freedom to innocent people and their descendants into perpetuity! There is so much wrong with the presentation in this thread, I can't list them all. My God! Our people are getting dumber.
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by salam1(m): 9:06pm On Apr 15, 2017
Op did u served in Niger state?
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Wiseoldman: 6:31am On Apr 16, 2017
isalegan2:

Thank you eternally! One of my favourite Nairalanders of all time. I was just speechless as I read the thread. I doubt it is even the first storey building in Lagos. And the girl is posing like it's a glamour shot - in front of a place of misery for our kin. Worse of all, they're celebrating some nonsense about missionaries who the whole time were using their religion to subjugate and denying freedom to innocent people and their descendants into perpetuity! There is so much wrong with the presentation in this thread, I can't list them all. My God! Our people are getting dumber.

Would you rather have them burn it down? No need to doubt bro, some well educated people paid to use their thinking faculty have done the work for you. Building Storey buildings is an imported technology so the first one can be tracked...the same way the first car, first airplane can be tracked...
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Syedqamber(f): 5:14am On Jul 17, 2019
PCSO Swertres swertrespcsolottoresult.com Result Today 11am 4pm 9pm, Swertres Result Yesterday 11am 4pm 9pm, Swertres History, Swertres Lotto Result Today, Swertres .
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Syedqamber(f): 5:14am On Jul 17, 2019
tamilgun.su 2019 Tamil HD Movies Download. Download latest tamil movies TamilGun.Com, TamilGun.Com Tamil hd Movies Free Download.

(1) (2) (Reply)

First Airplane Lands In Nnamdi Azikwe Airport, Abuja After 6 Weeks Closure. PICS / Train Cuts Off Woman's Leg At Urrata, Aba, Abia State (graphic Picture) / How A Bike-Rider And A Passenger Transported Another Bike (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.