Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,729 members, 7,882,468 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 06:27 AM

Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil (6341 Views)

Dele Momodu To Buhari: Nigerians Don't Want Excuses, Appoint Your Cabinet Now / NNPC Has No Record Of Nigeria's Actual Crude Oil Production Per Day / Niger State Has Crude Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by EmperorOlu: 1:11pm On Jan 02, 2010
I have being studying some of the discussions on this forum ever since I joined last week and something I have noticed is that Nigerians are generally not ready to give up on our oil revenue.

I have seen several people calling for the south to be ceded but every time they draw a map ,it always include the Niger delta. This shows that as a people even with the amount of well educated folks that we have on this forum we have not evolved mentally to understand the principles of capitalism and how it can be used to develop Nigeria without OIL revenue.

I feel that the OIL Nigeria has is a curse to us because it has bred a society of corrupt political mafias who feel hat the presidency of the nation is their birth right.

If you ask a Yoruba on this forum what he will like the map of a seceded south to look like ,he will always include the Niger delta states as part of his map but not the Ibo states ,if you ask the Ibos what they will like the map of Biafra to look like they will also include the states of the Niger delta but not the yorubas. Some Yorubas believe that they cant survive without the Niger delta and the Ibos also believe the same.

I must say that is so unfortunate, it is this same oil that has damaged our environment in the Niger delta and imprisoned our economy. Because of this same oil Nigeria’s economy is one sided instead of being diversified. There are many countries all over the world that do not have Oil but their yearly revenue is impressive and their unemployment rate is way lower than ours. Why is this so?Because they diversified their economy from agriculture to technology.

Allow me to give you a couple of examples :

High Ranking Countries In The World (GDP per capita)as at 2010

SWEDEN
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/sw-sweden/eco-economy

UNITED KINGDOM
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/uk-united-kingdom/eco-economy

LUXEMBOURG
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/lu-luxembourg/eco-economy

NORWAY
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/no-norway/eco-economy

Switzerland
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/sz-switzerland/eco-economy

High Ranking Countries In The Africa as at 2010

BOTSWANA
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/bc-botswana/eco-economy

SOUTH AFRICA
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/sf-south-africa/eco-economy

NAMIBIA
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/wa-namibia/eco-economy

TUNISIA
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/ts-tunisia/eco-economy

SWAZILAND
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/wz-swaziland/eco-economy

MOROOCCO
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/mo-morocco/eco-economy

EGYPT
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/eg-egypt/eco-economy

CAMEROON
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/cm-cameroon/eco-economy

ZAMBIA
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/za-zambia/eco-economy

LESOTHO
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/lt-lesotho/eco-economy

It is a shame that all the above countries have better planned economies than Nigeria. Nigeria is naturally richer than all the above African countries but in terms of GDP per capita we are poorer. That is just not right at all. Most of the countries above do not even have a single drop of OIL yet they are able to distribute wealth amongst their citizens.

The point I am making is that we don’t need oil to become the super power of Africa again, we just need master planners who are skilled in diversifying our economy and boosting our agriculture produce. If we can put more focus on mining ,manufacturing, technology and agriculture, we can even generate more money than what we generate from oil in the Niger delta.

If we want to split Nigeria  ,it should be every tribe for it’s self ,instead of calling for a southern Nigeria ,why don’t the Yorubas go their own way , the Niger deltas go their own way and the Ibos go their own way. There will be long lasting peace that way. If the south splits from the north and we remain together there will still be problems because knowing my Yoruba people and the Ibos ,they will never get along.They will fight for power which could lead to a civil war in the new south nation.

It is best the south splits in to three nations

The Odua Nation  (ondo has oil)
The Niger delta Nation
The Biafra Nation ( imo has oil) crossriver state could be added to biafra to allow IBOs access to the sea

My fellow Nigerians ,let us abandoned our obsession with crude oil, in a few decades from now ,all the cars and the airplanes will be using green or run on portable nuclear energy. What will we do then? The USA has already built warships powered by nuclear reactors. What makes you think they can’t develop massive aircrafts that can will be powered by nuclear reactors? I read somewhere that NASA intends to develop a new type of space shuttle that will be powered by nuclear power? We could see something in the next 20 years that will resemble the STAR TREK USS Enterprise powered by Nuclear reactors able to transport 5,000 passengers from Lagos to Sydney in 45 minutes at warp speed. The world is developing at a rapid rate and they are leaving us behind in many sectors. We have to start thinking out of the box and think about the type of economy we want to leave for our future generation. Countries like Japan and china are secure because for the next 100 years people will still be buying and using electronics, what will Nigeria be doing then?

Look at our fellow African country South Africa, their government is spending billions of dollars on technology, South Africa is the only African country that has it’s own electronics company developing and manufacturing LCDs TVs locally :

http://www.pvision.co.za/

They are also the only Africa country that manufactures military aircrafts ,tanks and hand weapons: www.denel.co.za 

That is food for thought for all of us, we don’t need oil, we need economic diversification and massive technological developments.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by TippyTop(m): 1:21pm On Jan 02, 2010
What money spinner would you replace it with? Granted we might have to look for other sources of revenue in future but oil is our present life-line.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by EmperorOlu: 1:33pm On Jan 02, 2010
Agriculture
Manufacturing
Mining
Property Boom Development
Offshore Banking
Technology Development
Privatization of several sectors like Power and Water

Just to name a few, all the above can be implemented with just $25 billion. The money our corrupt leaders steal annually is way more than that.

Some of the richest people in Australia ,South Africa and the USA are farmers.What i am saying is that if we don't try we will never get up. Oil is not our life ,there are millions of Nigerians who do not benefit from our oil revenue so i disagree with you when you say oil is our life line. I will put it this way ,our government and our people are obsessed with oil.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by TippyTop(m): 1:43pm On Jan 02, 2010
EmperorOlu:

Agriculture
Manufacturing
Mining
Offshore Banking
Technology Development

Just to name a few, all the above can be implemented with just $25 billion. The money our corrupt leaders steal annually is way more than that.

Mighty Russia came out of the collapse of the USSR stronger than ever  because of oil.
The money allocated to the above sectors would probably be stolen, oil will do for now why we strive to diversify.  Our oil revenue might be mismanaged, but in the real world it is "liquid gold". So your title "Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil" is false and erronous.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by EmperorOlu: 2:09pm On Jan 02, 2010
Tippy Top:

Mighty Russia came out of the collapse of the USSR stronger than ever  because of oil.
The money allocated to the above sectors would probably be stolen, oil will do for now why we strive to diversify.  Our oil revenue might be mismanaged, but in the real world it is "liquid gold". So your title "Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil" is false and erronous.

Trust me Russia not a good example, even though Russia has OIL ,they also have a high level of corruption and fraud like Nigeria and that is why poverty is still much the order of the in most parts of Russia. The Oil wealth of Russia belongs to a few czars and ex-KGB official like Vladimir Putin. 20% of their pollution live in abject poverty while 60% of their population are just barely able to get by. Have you not received scam letters from Russians girls claiming to love you and asking for funds to buys ticket to come to your country?

My title is befitting the situation that Nigeria and Nigerians currently find themselves, I will personally not want to dwell too much the oil because we are hooked on it like drugs and are lazy or reluctant to find alternatives to it. Are you telling me that if the oil was to suddenly dry up today, life will not go on in Nigeria? Remember that scientist have already warned us that our OIL sector will start exepriencing major problems from 2012 and may be completely dried up in 50 years. Shouldn’t that be a wake up call to any Nigerian with common sense that we have to start preparing for the future.50 years is just a few decades away.

http://www.integrityintercontinental.com/nigerianoilmoneyexpectedtodryupfrom2012.html

http://peakoil..com/2008/12/nigeria-oil-reserve-may-dry-up-in-50.html
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by cap28: 2:13pm On Jan 02, 2010
@emperor olu - the problem is not so much that nigeria has refused to diversify and venture into other areas of economic development the real problem is the type of leadership that we have, lets take a look at venezuela it is currently the only country that im aware of in the world at the moment which is using its oil revenue for the benefit and upliftment of the ordinary man in the street and not for the benefit of corrupt multinationals and members of its elite.  

chavez has carried out massive economic reforms starting with the nationalisation of the petroleum industry - he has kicked out predatory american petroleum companies like chevron and exxon mobil who were doing to venezuela what they are currently doing to nigeria and he has replaced them with government owned entities, in addition he has nationalised the telecommunications and electricity industries thereby taking back economic control of his country from the hands of foreign predators.  

the oil we have is not a curse - it is a god given natural resource which could have been used to develop the country and propel it into being a major player on the international arena.  you mentioned botswana - botswana gained its independence around the same time nigeria did but the revenue generated from diamond production has been used mainly for the economic development of the country and not for the personal enrichment of corrupt leaders working in collusion with foreign predators.  

the current leadership that we have are a puppet leadership who were groomed by their former colonial masters, they have no independent voice or vision for the country and work according to a mandate handed to them by their masters.  the minute they step out of line they are either killed or overthrown - this is nothing new - even western countries operate a similar system the only difference is that they do not condemn the masses of their country to a life of grinding poverty and suffering the way the african puppets do to their own people.  

therefore the first step is to get the leadership right - if you get the leadership right - you then start to focus on reversing systems that have been put in place by foreign predators to destroy and not develop our economies as is the case with nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by EmperorOlu: 2:19pm On Jan 02, 2010
cap28:

@emperor olu - the problem is not so much that nigeria has refused to diversify and venture into other areas of economic development the real problem is the type of leadership that we have, lets take a look at venezuela it is currently the only country that im aware of in the world at the moment which is using its oil revenue for the benefit and upliftment of the ordinary man in the street and not for the benefit of corrupt multinationals and members of its elite.

chavez has carried out massive economic reforms starting with the nationalisation of the petroleum industry - he has kicked out predatory american petroleum companies like chevron and exxon mobil who were doing to venezuela what they are currently doing to nigeria and he has replaced them with government owned entities, in addition he has nationalised the telecommunications and electricity industries thereby taking back economic control of his country from the hands of foreign predators.

the oil we have is not a curse - it is a god given natural resource which could have been used to develop the country and propel it into being a major player on the international arena. you mentioned botswana - botswana gained its independence around the same time nigeria did but the revenue generated from diamond production has been used mainly for the economic development of the country and not for the personal enrichment of corrupt leaders working in collusion with foreign predators.

the current leadership that we have are a puppet leadership who were groomed by their former colonial masters, they have no independent voice or vision for the country and work according to a mandate handed to them by their masters. the minute they step out of line they are either killed or overthrown - this is nothing new - even western countries operate a similar system the only difference is that they do not condemn the masses of their country to a life of grinding poverty and suffering the way the african puppets do to their own people.

therefore the first step is to get the leadership right - if you get the leadership right - you then start to focus on reversing systems that have been put in place by foreign predators to destroy and not develop our economies as is the case with nigeria.

Thank you for your enlightened opinion, I agree with everything you have said and i like the example you used "Venezuela” .You are right the president of Venezuela is a great man, our leaders can learn something from him. I just wonder when we will be free from this type of leadership we have now. Thank you once again for your informative comment.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by TippyTop(m): 2:33pm On Jan 02, 2010
I second everything cap28 stated. The same leaders will destroy any sector that is thriving be it the Oil sector or the the Agricultural sector. Oil should be a blessing and not a curse.
Angola came fought a 27yr civil war till 2002, but take a look at what "Oil money" should do if used well.
This war ravaged country has bounced back on the back of oil money.

Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by Dede1(m): 3:14pm On Jan 02, 2010
EmperorOlu:

Agriculture
Manufacturing
Mining
Offshore Banking
Technology Development

Some of the richest people in Australia ,South Africa and the USA are farmers.What i am saying is that if we don't try we will never get up. Oil is not our life ,there are millions of Nigerians who do not benefit from our oil revenue so i disagree with you when you say oil is our life line. I will put it this way ,our government and our people are obsessed with oil.
EmperorOlu:

I have being studying some of the discussions on this forum ever since I joined last week and something I have noticed is that Nigerians are generally not ready to give up on our oil revenue.

I have seen several people calling for the south to be ceded but every time they draw a map ,it always include the Niger delta. This shows that as a people even with the amount of well educated folks that we have on this forum we have not evolved mentally to understand the principles of capitalism and how it can be used to develop Nigeria without OIL revenue.

I feel that the OIL Nigeria has is a curse to us because it has bread a society of corrupt political mafias who feel hat the presidency of the nation is their birth right.

If you ask a Yoruba on this forum what he will like the map of a seceded south to look like ,he will always include the Niger delta states as part of his map but not the Ibo states ,if you ask the Ibos what they will like the map of Biafra to look like they will also include the states of the Niger delta but not the yorubas. The Yoruba believe that they cant survive without the Niger delta and the Ibos also believe the same.

I must say that is so unfortunate, it is this same oil that has damaged our environment in the Niger delta and imprisoned our economy. Because of this same oil Nigeria’s economy is one sided instead of being diversified. There are many countries all over the world that do not have Oil but their yearly revenue is higher than ours and their unemployment rate is way lower than ours. Why is that so?

It is a shame that all the above countries have better planned economies than Nigeria. Nigeria is naturally richer than all the above African countries but in terms of GDP per capita we are poorer. That is just not right at all. Most of the countries above do not even have a single drop of OIL yet they are able to distribute wealth amongst their citizens.

The point I am making is that we don’t need oil to become the super power of Africa again, we just need master planners who are skilled in diversifying our economy and expanding our agriculture produce. If we can put more focus on mining ,manufacturing, technology and agriculture, we can even generate more money that oil in the Niger delta.

If we want to split Nigeria ,it should be every tribe for it’s self ,instead of calling for a southern Nigeria ,why don’t the Yorubas go their own way , the Niger deltas go their own way and the Ibos go their own way. There will be long lasting peace that way. If the south splits from the north and we remain together there will still be problems because knowing my Yoruba people and the Ibos ,they will never get along.They will fight for power which could lead to a civil war in the new south nation.

It is best the south splits in to three nations

The Odua Nation (ondo has oil)
The Niger delta Nation
The Biafra Nation ( imo has oil) crossriver state could be added to biafra to allow IBOs access to the sea

My fellow Nigerians ,let us abandoned our obsession with crude oil, in a few decades from now ,all the cars and the airplanes will be using green or portable nuclear energy. What will we do then? The USA has already built warships powered by nuclear reactors. What makes you think they can’t develop massive aircrafts that can will be powered by nuclear reactors? I read somewhere that NASA intends to develop a new type of space shuttle that will be powered by nuclear power? We could see something in the next 20 years that will resemble the STAR TREK USS Enterprise powered by Nuclear reactors able to transport 5,000 passengers from Lagos to Sydney in 45 minutes at warp speed. The world is developing at a rapid rate and they are leaving us behind in many sectors. We have to start thinking out of the box and think about the type economy we want to leave for our future generation. Countries like Japan and china are secure because for the next 100 years people will still be buying and using electronics, what will Nigeria be doing then?

Look at our fellow African country South Africa, their government is spending billions of dollars on technology, South Africa is the only African country that has it’s own electronics company developing and manufacturing LCDs TVs locally :

That is food for thought for all of us, we don’t need oil, we need economic diversification and massive technological developments.

P.S apologies ,i mispelt Nigcria in the Topic's heading.

It is unfortunate that your academic background did not include the study of basic geography. In addition, the inadequate academic standard you received failed to prepare you against the deceptive terminologies such as Niger Delta and South-south that are floating around in the jungle called Nigeria recently.

I could not fathom the reason behind ignorant expression that insinuated that the so-called Niger Delta landmark is not part of southern Nigeria. Is the area designated as Niger Delta not situated in the contiguous part of southern Nigeria?

I hope the author of this post is not among the inhabitants of backwater joints of Nigeria who always think and convince that Biafra was limited to Igbo land. For an umpteenth time, Biafra was about self defense and the real Niger Delta, as drawn by the Royal Niger Company and Christian Dioceses of Southern Protectorate baring the recent crude oil inspired creations, is situated in the defunct eastern region of Nigeria.

On a serious note, Igbo land does not need Cross River state to have access to the sea lanes. At least it is very refreshing to read from the poster that Igbo land had a gain of sand not crude oil. I am of the view that the poster could help him/her self by knowing the fact that what constituted Igbo land stretches from landmarks such as Abaomega to Igwe Ocha Mbara Ama/Igwenga and Agbor to Arochukwu. In fact most of people that had continue to agitate for sovereignty of Igbo land do so to avoid having compatriots such as this poster and step away from the crude oil madness that had inflicted some Nigerians.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by cap28: 4:22pm On Jan 02, 2010
@emperor olu and tippy top - thanks for your comments.  

i think nigeria is still capable of producing a charismatic leader with vision like chavez and who has the interest of the common man at heart - i know that murtala mohammed is not the best example to use given that he was involved with the massacre of igbos during the civil war, however he was one of the few post civil war nigerian leaders who tried to steer nigeria away from economic policies which benefitted western powers and he paid for that with his life.  he tried to introduce various nationalisation reform programmes which were swiftly brought to an end and reversed following his assassination.  

if you look at what chavez is going through now you will understand that the task of wresting control from western powers  is not easy, chavez to date has had numerous assassination attempts made on his life  by the CIA because of his nationalisation programmes which have reversed various trade agreements beneficial to the US.  

in my view the western capitalist system is a form of modern day slavery with africa as a designated place where the west obtains cheap natural resources at the expense of the indigenous people in order to develop and enrich their own economies.  african nations cannot develop until they get rid of their corrupt puppets who are being controlled by corrupt western govts. this is easier said than done as all repressive african govts are trained and armed by western govts.  now the US is gearing up for any future showdown with militant groups like MEND by deploying their troops (AFRICOM) to so called troubled spots in order to "secure" oil wells and other places where valuable natural resource are located.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by EmperorOlu: 4:30pm On Jan 02, 2010
Dede1:

It is unfortunate that your academic background did not include the study of basic geography. In addition, the inadequate academic standard you received failed to prepare you against the deceptive terminologies such as Niger Delta and South-south that are floating around in the jungle called Nigeria recently.

I could not fathom the reason behind ignorant expression that insinuated that the so-called Niger Delta landmark is not part of southern Nigeria. Is the area designated as Niger Delta not situated in the contiguous part of southern Nigeria?

I hope the author of this post is not among the inhabitants of backwater joints of Nigeria who always think and convince that Biafra was limited to Igbo land. For an umpteenth time, Biafra was about self defense and the real Niger Delta, as drawn by the Royal Niger Company and Christian Dioceses of Southern Protectorate baring the recent crude oil inspired creations, is situated in the defunct eastern region of Nigeria.

On a serious note, Igbo land does not need Cross River state to have access to the sea lanes. At least it is very refreshing to read from the poster that Igbo land had a gain of sand not crude oil. I am of the view that the poster could help him/her self by knowing the fact that what constituted Igbo land stretches from landmarks such as Abaomega to Igwe Ocha Mbara Ama/Igwenga and Agbor to Arochukwu. In fact most of people that had continue to agitate for sovereignty of Igbo land do so to avoid having compatriots such as this poster and step away from the crude oil madness that had inflicted some Nigerians.

I don’t know why most guys on this forum feel that they cannot express their opinions without lunching insults at a poster. You already lost me in the first sentence, any relevant point you are making has been over shadowed by your lack of common sense to know that this topic should be devoid of insults. We are here to discuss alternatives to crude oil and the fact that a nation can be built without crude not to discuss how many farm lands your tribe has or why Nigeria fought a civil war in the 60s.

You have demonstrated in your comment exactly what I voicing out about, the obsession of Nigerians with oil, you have also shown us that you have been poorly  educated. You did not read and UNDERSTAND my comments before jumping to spread your cock and bull theories about Nigerian geography. The Biafra I mentioned  in my comment has nothing to do with the biafra of 1966 but instead more to do with an Igboland of the future.

You claim to know a lot about Nigerian geography but I must say that your education in geography is seriously flawed. For your perusal, I have attached a current map of Nigeria. Mordern day Igboland is limited to Imo ,Anambra ,Abia and Enugu.While the real Niger Delta includes ,delta, rivers, bayelsa, Edo,Akwa Ibom and cross-river.This is logical based on the resident tribes located in each of these states. Except you want to steal one of these states to be your own. Are you for real ?saying that Igbos have no need for cross river to access the sea, please point out to me on the Nigerian map where modern day igboland has direct contact with the sea. If cross river refuses to join Ibos ,they will have reach some sort of agreement to allow ships pass through the Niger Delta to any seaport in Imo.Go back to school and make sure you slap your geography teacher. And please be informed, I am Ondo and pure Yoruba.

Think before you write and in terms of education don’t even dare go there,your comments has shown you lack any moral integrity as well as common sense let alone proper education.

Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by SapeleGuy: 4:32pm On Jan 02, 2010
Bros - we no sabi who 'Niegrians' be. You can go back to your original post and correct the error.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 02, 2010
EmperorOlu:

I don’t know why most guys on this forum feel that they cannot express their opinions without lunching insults at a poster. You already lost me in the first sentence, any relevant point you are making has been over shadowed by your lack of common sense to know that this topic should be devoid of insults. We are here to discuss alternatives to crude oil and the fact that a nation can be built without crude not to discuss how many farm lands your tribe has or why Nigeria fought a civil war in the 60s.

You have demonstrated in your comment exactly what I voicing out about, the obsession of Nigerians with oil, you have also shown us that you have been poorly  educated. You did not read and UNDERSTAND my comments before jumping to spread your cock and bull theories about Nigerian geography. The Biafra I mentioned  in my comment has nothing to do with the biafra of 1966 but instead more to do with an Igboland of the future.

You claim to know a lot about Nigerian geography but I must say that your education in geography is seriously flawed. For your perusal, I have attached a current map of Nigeria. Mordern day Igboland is limited to Imo ,Anambra ,Abia and Enugu.While the real Niger Delta includes ,delta, rivers, bayelsa, Edo,Akwa Ibom and cross-river.This is logical based on the resident tribes located in each of these states. Except you want to steal one of these states to be your own. Are you for real ?saying that Igbos have no need for cross river to access the sea, please point out to me on the Nigerian map where modern day igboland has direct contact with the sea. If cross river refuses to join Ibos ,they will have reach some sort of agreement to allow ships pass through the Niger Delta to any seaport in Imo.Go back to school and make sure you slap your geography teacher. And please be informed, I am Ondo and pure Yoruba.

Think before you write and in terms of education don’t even dare go there,your comments has shown you lack any moral integrity as well as common sense let alone proper education.

Don't let him deter you. He finds it hard to be in stable environments. It's just like placing an earthworm in salt.  cheesy

Nevertheless, I have to agree with cap28 and Tittytop. Nigeria's problem is more about leadership than the reliance on oil. Oil money could have been used to uplift other sectors of the economy but as you can see bad leadership has totally reduced the country to nothing.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by EmperorOlu: 5:01pm On Jan 02, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Bros - we no sabi who 'Niegrians' be. You can go back to your original post and correct the error.

Thanks for the tip,it came in handy.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by paddyboi: 5:20pm On Jan 02, 2010
@emperorolu

sorry to burst your bubble but the nigerian economy is stronger than all those african countries u list there apart from south africa. . .
GDP per capita for nigeria is about $2300. . .which is also higher than countries like cameroon,zambia,lesotho,swaziland. . .that u posted there. . .

as for namibia the population is 2million ppl
botswana population is 1.6million ppl
again this makes it skewed when u look at GDP per capita cause the population is so tiny

i hate it when ppl come online and advocate splitting nigeria after all this yrs based on only tribal sentiments. . .
u have millions of igbo ppl living and doing well in lagos,and all of a sudden in 2010 u want to start uprooting ppl and moving them like cattle just so u can fulfill some ancient biafra or odua dream . . .it doesnt make sense

u talk of oil. . .what has stopped the 5 igbo states with little or no oil from governing themselves with a little level of decency and civility?
how is lagos state which recieves only 20% of its budget from oil,managing to take care of 15million ppl with adequate security and impressive infrastructural development

i suggest that if u want to live in the east,move there and leave other nigerians alone. . .better yet move to lesotho or cameroon if u fancy it so much. . .

as for the white countrys u posted,i guess u dont know that the U.K and Norway are some of the biggest oil producers in the world,
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by Dede1(m): 5:30pm On Jan 02, 2010
EmperorOlu:

You have demonstrated in your comment exactly what I voicing out about, the obsession of Nigerians with oil, you have also shown us that you have been poorly  educated. You did not read and UNDERSTAND my comments before jumping to spread your cock and bull theories about Nigerian geography. The Biafra I mentioned  in my comment has nothing to do with the biafra of 1966 but instead more to do with an Igboland of the future.

I should not attempt to banter with you. I have read many posts you contributed to this forum. As an Igbo extraction, it will amount to irreparable idiocy to lecture the Yoruba audience where Yoruba land started and ended or use the creations of states in Nigeria that were born out of vindictive approach to adjudge the start and end of Yoruba land.

If you were wise enough, you would have stuck with the discussion of Nigerians moving forward without crude oil and avoid the silly digression to Biafra and sea lanes.

You should realize that anybody that ventures to this forum is not a kid. The readers on this forum can easily sniff out posters who found joy by hiding behind textile curtains while throwing disingenuous jabs at certain group of people in Nigeria.

I can not seriously help your education if you do not know that Igbo land is incorporated in few Nigerian states such as Delta State, Rivers State, Akwa Ibom and even Cross River State.

In your previous post on the thread titled “Federal Republic of South Nigeria”, I came across these:

“The Odua Nation  (ondo has oil)
The Niger delta Nation
The Biafra Nation ( imo has oil) crossriver state could be added to biafra to allow IBOs access to the sea”

When I wrote that your knowledge of Nigerian history and geography is shaky at best, it was not intended as an insult.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by SapeleGuy: 5:59pm On Jan 02, 2010
EmperorOlu:

Thanks for the tip,it came in handy.

No offence intended.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by cap28: 6:00pm On Jan 02, 2010
emperor olu dont bother with dede1.

i  think dede1s negative response is  a reflection of why we  remain so backward, instead of focusing on how to move forward as an entity we spend time splitting hairs over boundary disputes which are irrelevant when you consider the bigger picture.  this is why it is so easy for western powers to prey on us, once a people are divided it is easier to control them.

what dede1 fails  to understand is that these so called boundaries are artifical as they were drawn up for the political and economic expediency of colonial powers.  

take the bakassi peninsular - it was originally part of the obong of calabar's kingdom, but wasnt the obong of calabar tricked into handing it over to the british  as a "protectorate" in 1894 (an indirect way for whites to steal land from unsuspecting africans).  bakassi was subsequently converted from a "protectorate" into part of the british colonial territory and then handed over to germany and then france in flagrant disregard of the earlier agreement wiht the obong of calabar, today bakassi is now part of cameroon a former french colony.  does this not tell you that we africans are not even in control over our own boundaries, therefore to start splitting hairs over where a boundary began and ended is to fail to understand that we are merely being used as pawns in a game that is being controlled by the west.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by EmperorOlu: 6:04pm On Jan 02, 2010
Dede1:

I should not attempt to banter with you. I have read many posts you contributed to this forum. As an Igbo extraction, it will amount to irreparable idiocy to lecture the Yoruba audience where Yoruba land started and ended or use the creations of states in Nigeria that were born out of vindictive approach to adjudge the start and end of Yoruba land.

If you were wise enough, you would have stuck with the discussion of Nigerians moving forward without crude oil and avoid the silly digression to Biafra and sea lanes.

You should realize that anybody that ventures to this forum is not a kid. The readers on this forum can easily sniff out posters who found joy by hiding behind textile curtains while throwing disingenuous jabs at certain group of people in Nigeria.

I can not seriously help your education if you do not know that Igbo land is incorporated in few Nigerian states such as Delta State, Rivers State, Akwa Ibom and even Cross River State.

In your previous post on the thread titled “Federal Republic of South Nigeria”, I came across these:

“The Odua Nation  (ondo has oil)
The Niger delta Nation
The Biafra Nation ( imo has oil) crossriver state could be added to biafra to allow IBOs access to the sea”

When I wrote that your knowledge of Nigerian history and geography is shaky at best, it was not intended as an insult.

Lol, you are one of those jokers who likes to ramble but make little sense, you sound one of those alaba boys who just interrupt people’s conversations without being asked. Your contribution to this particular topic is illiterate best, you jumped in and capitalized on three sentences in comment to rain a barrage of insults on me questioning my level of education and my comprehension of Nigeria’s geography.

You know what they : Over sabi dey kill person

I don’t a give “fleeping hoot” if you have read my other comment on this forum ,a sensible person will always control himself and result to civil dialogue no matter the situation. The forum is for evry person who wishes to voice out his/her opinion about Nigeria’s why forum bully like one to always jump on case and try to subdue my voice. Take a look at this topic, out of all the posts you are the ODD one out.You have not contributed anything to show that you have ounce of intelligent instead you claiming other people’s states for yourself.

Why are you so obsessed with sates in the Niger Delta, could it be because of oil? Lol ,you just exposed yourself by saying your tribe has links in those states. Even if they do you are not in a position to force them to join you. Majority of the people in those states do not see themselves as Ibos ,they see themselves Niger delta people. There are yorubas in Kwara ,delta and Edo states but we don’t see them as full member of our Yoruba land. Do you think MEND member will say they are Ibos? By the way where were you Ibos when the Ogoni leaders were killed? What have you Ibos done to support the cause of the Niger Delta in recent years? Are you Ibos members of MEND?

You are one of those insecure easterners who feel that they can survive without the Niger Delta. If you Dede were put in charge of a Biafra nation without oil or direct access to the sea, you will be clueless on how to grow it’s economy because you lack knowledge in that sector. Thank you for helping me prove my point in real time.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by EmperorOlu: 6:09pm On Jan 02, 2010
cap28:

emperor olu dont bother with dede1.

i  think dede1s negative response is  a reflection of why we  remain so backward, instead of focusing on how to move forward as an entity we spend time splitting hairs over boundary disputes which are irrelevant when you consider the bigger picture.  this is why it is so easy for western powers to prey on us, once a people are divided it is easier to control them.

what dede1 fails  to understand is that these so called boundaries are artifical as they were drawn up for the political and economic expediency of colonial powers. 

take the bakassi peninsular - it was originally part of the obong of calabar's kingdom, but wasnt the obong of calabar tricked into handing it over to the british  as a "protectorate" in 1894 (an indirect way for whites to steal land from unsuspecting africans).  bakassi was subsequently converted from a "protectorate" into part of the british colonial territory and then handed over to germany and then france in flagrant disregard of the earlier agreement wiht the obong of calabar, today bakassi is now part of cameroon a former french colony.  does this not tell you that we africans are not even in control over our own boundaries, therefore to start splitting hairs over where a boundary began and ended is to fail to understand that we are merely being used as pawns in a game that is being controlled by the west.

Thank you caps28,I am try as much as possible to avoid guys like dede but they are just so many of them. Instead of them to put their point across politely, they attach insults to it. How can we learn from each other if we keep doing that?

@sapeleguy –No offence taken my brother, I did not know how to correct it until you told me, we are learning everyday and there is absolutely nothing wrong in you correcting me. Cheers.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by EmperorOlu: 6:28pm On Jan 02, 2010
paddyboi:

@emperorolu

sorry to burst your bubble but the nigerian economy is stronger than all those african countries u list there apart from south africa. . .
GDP per capita for nigeria is about $2300. . .which is also higher than countries like cameroon,zambia,lesotho,swaziland. . .that u posted there. . .

as for namibia the population is 2million ppl
botswana population is 1.6million ppl
again this makes it skewed when u look at GDP per capita cause the population is so tiny

i hate it when ppl come online and advocate splitting nigeria after all this yrs based on only tribal sentiments. . .
u have millions of igbo ppl living and doing well in lagos,and all of a sudden in 2010 u want to start uprooting ppl and moving them like cattle just so u can fulfill some ancient biafra or odua dream . . .it doesnt make sense

u talk of oil. . .what has stopped the 5 igbo states with little or no oil from governing themselves with a little level of decency and civility?
how is lagos state which recieves only 20% of its budget from oil,managing to take care of 15million ppl with adequate security and impressive infrastructural development

i suggest that if u want to live in the east,move there and leave other nigerians alone. . .better yet move to lesotho or cameroon if u fancy it so much. . .

as for the white countrys u posted,i guess u dont know that the U.K and Norway are some of the biggest oil producers in the world,

You seem to have misinterpreted my comments ,you don’t seem to know what “GDP per capita” is ,maybe I should define it for you :

An approximation of the value of goods produced per person in the country, equal to the country's GDP divided by the total number of people in the country.

(GDP) at purchasing power parity (PPP) per capita, the value of all final goods and services produced within a nation in a given year divided by the average (or mid-year) population for the same year.

Her are links to current list of GDP per Capita Per Country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita 

Nigeria may generate more federal income than those states but the economy is poorly planned that money does not reach the masses, there creating a major imbalance in wealth sharing amongst the citizens of Nigeria.

And yes Britain may and Norway may produce produce oil but it makes oil makes a small percentage of it economy unlike Nigeria where our economy is 60% dependent on oil.

By the way accusing me of having tribal sentiments is uncalled for ,my topic is about finding alternate source of income for Nigeria ,why are you focusing on those 3 sentences anout the 3 nations?

At the end of your comment you went of course by telling me to go to Cameroon or Lesotho, am I not allowed to citizen Nigeria and compare it to countries that doing better with little resources?
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by Dede1(m): 6:33pm On Jan 02, 2010
EmperorOlu:

Lol, you are one of those jokers who likes to ramble but make little sense, you sound one of those alaba boys who just interrupt people’s conversations without being asked. Your contribution to this particular topic is illiterate best, you jumped in and capitalized on three sentences in comment to rain a barrage of insults on me questioning my level of education and my comprehension of Nigeria’s geography.

You know what they : Over sabi dey kill person

I don’t a give “fleeping hoot” if you have read my other comment on this forum ,a sensible person will always control himself and result to civil dialogue no matter the situation. The forum is for evry person who wishes to voice out his/her opinion about Nigeria’s why forum bully like one to always jump on case and try to subdue my voice. Take a look at this topic, out of all the posts you are the ODD one out.You have not contributed anything to show that you have ounce of intelligent instead you claiming other people’s states for yourself.

Why are you so obsessed with sates in the Niger Delta, could it be because of oil? Lol ,you just exposed yourself by saying your tribe has links in those states. Even if they do you are not in a position to force them to join you. Majority of the people in those states do not see themselves as Ibos ,they see themselves Niger delta people. There are yorubas in Kwara ,delta and Edo states but we don’t see them as full member of our Yoruba land. Do you think MEND member will say they are Ibos? By the way where were you Ibos when the Ogoni leaders were killed? What have you Ibos done to support the cause of the Niger Delta in recent years? Are you Ibos members of MEND?

You are one of those insecure easterners who feel that they can survive without the Niger Delta. If you Dede were put in charge of a Biafra nation without oil or direct access to the sea, you will be clueless on how to grow it’s economy because you lack knowledge in that sector. Thank you for helping me prove my point in real time.

If I had not read your responses on some other threads, I would have given you the benefit of reasons. If the people of your stock do not care or give a damning fig about their kinsman in Kwara, Delta and Edo States, please note that Ndigbo do care.

I am beginning to wonder if your social order could be graded as adequate for this discussion. Granted that the Ogoni are not Igbo, there existed mutual cooperation between Igbo and Ogoni people. Again, there are striking evidences that your knowledge of Nigerian history rather constitutes hindrance to you than give you a boost in this discourse.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by EmperorOlu: 7:10pm On Jan 02, 2010
Dede1:

If I had not read your responses on some other threads, I would have given you the benefit of reasons. If the people of your stock do not care or give a damning fig about their kinsman in Kwara, Delta and Edo States, please note that Ndigbo do care.

I am beginning to wonder if your social order could be graded as adequate for this discussion. Granted that the Ogoni are not Igbo, there existed mutual cooperation between Igbo and Ogoni people. Again, there are striking evidences that your knowledge of Nigerian history rather constitutes hindrance to you than give you a boost in this discourse.

Can you please attch links to prove that your statements are true,show me one prominet Igbo man who has come out in support of MEND or who has critized the federal government about how it is managing the environmental damage caused by oil companies in the Niger Delta.It is good that you care about your extended folks but do they care about you or do they even want to join you?

Any one with an ounce of intelligence will hask himself that question first,do the Ijaws want to go with Biafra? Don't fool yourslef ,if Niegria splits there will more violence if we remain together as the South.Niegr Delat was it own freedom without any biraafra or odua,deal with it and don't force your Ndigbo on other who  don't want it.

Can you please attach links to prove that your statements are true, show me one prominent Igbo man who has come out in support of MEND or who has criticized the federal government about how it is managing the environmental damage caused by oil companies in the Niger Delta. It is good that you care about your extended folks but do they care about you or do they even want to join you?

Any one with an ounce of intelligence will ask himself that question first,do you think the Ijaws want to go with Biafra? Don't fool yourself ,if Nigeria splits there will be  more violence if we remain together as the South. Niger Delta wants it’s own freedom without any biafra or odua, deal with it and don't force your Ndigbo on others who don't want it.

You are just insulting yourself by stalking me with your tribal issues ,The topic reads :NIGERIANS DON”T NEED CRUDE OIL
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by Afam(m): 7:34pm On Jan 02, 2010
Hmm, but for the ongoing exchanges between Dede1 and Emperorolu I would have used very harsh words on Emperorolu for some very careless statements that were borne out of ignorance in my opinion.

As Dede1 clearly stated anyone that talks about Biafra without any part of the then Eastern region does not know anything about Biafra.

Now, as regards the Igbos wanting a separate nation (if it comes to that) the Igbo states alone (without Igbos in Rivers and Delta states) can survive and indeed do very well from crude oil (Imo, Abia with Anambra sitting on what they have termed strategic reserve due to politics) to commerce and other spheres of life.

The Igbos do not hinge their survival on any non Igbo states. Get this simple fact straight and stop the over generalization based on half truths. It is insulting.

And please, while we advocate for discussions free from insults do not mistake that to mean that you can make false allegations against a people and then you wait for those who disagree to take your points one after the other to trash them.

Do your research and more importantly base your comments on facts.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by SapeleGuy: 7:50pm On Jan 02, 2010
The argument for diversification is a positive one. However, I don't think it makes sense to blame the underdevelopment of Nigeria on Crude Oil.

Why is it so difficult for some of you to relinquish your colonial status and accept the equality of all ethnic groups?
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by Afam(m): 7:58pm On Jan 02, 2010
SapeleGuy:

The argument for diversification is a positive one. However, I don't think it makes sense to blame the underdevelopment of Nigeria on Crude Oil.

Why is it so difficult for some of you to relinquish your colonial status and accept the equality of all ethnic groups?

All the ethnic groups cannot be equal based on numbers as you must have some that are in the majority and others in the minority and nothing brings out this fact more than democracy - a game of numbers.

However, every Nigerian must be treated as a Nigerian and respected regardless of ethnic group. It is important to state that the issue of majority or minority has everything to do with the populations of the different ethnic groups and should not be seen as any form of reference to inferiority whatsoever.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by OAM4J: 8:05pm On Jan 02, 2010
. . . And the thread derailed  as usual

Wonder why we can not use this thread to discuss meaningfully on different possible sources of income from the states of Nigeria.

There are more than enough threads on this forum discussing ethnicity and divisions. Why cant we just focus on the subject of this particular thread?
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by Dede1(m): 8:19pm On Jan 02, 2010
EmperorOlu:

Can you please attch links to prove that your statements are true,show me one prominet Igbo man who has come out in support of MEND or who has critized the federal government about how it is managing the environmental damage caused by oil companies in the Niger Delta.It is good that you care about your extended folks but do they care about you or do they even want to join you?

Any one with an ounce of intelligence will hask himself that question first,do the Ijaws want to go with Biafra? Don't fool yourslef ,if Niegria splits there will more violence if we remain together as the South.Niegr Delat was it own freedom without any biraafra or odua,deal with it and don't force your Ndigbo on other who  don't want it.

Can you please attach links to prove that your statements are true, show me one prominent Igbo man who has come out in support of MEND or who has criticized the federal government about how it is managing the environmental damage caused by oil companies in the Niger Delta. It is good that you care about your extended folks but do they care about you or do they even want to join you?

Any one with an ounce of intelligence will ask himself that question first,do you think the Ijaws want to go with Biafra? Don't fool yourself ,if Nigeria splits there will be  more violence if we remain together as the South. Niger Delta wants it’s own freedom without any biafra or odua, deal with it and don't force your Ndigbo on others who don't want it.

You are just insulting yourself by stalking me with your tribal issues ,The topic reads :NIGERIANS DON”T NEED CRUDE OIL

Most of your posts reek of ignorance. I guess that Ijaw people are in the enviable position to answer your unfortunate question and decide to either join Oodua Republic or Izon Republic. But do not forget there are other compelling variables that will decide the future of disintegrated Nigeria.

If you equate MEND to Ijaw, then you are a bigger fool than I had thought. Why should Ndigbo give a hoot about how many bottles of crude oil you and federal government of Nigeria drink everyday?

Again, Igbo land had more than deserved deposit of crude oil within its contiguous states. Talking of violence in the south as you have insinuated, I bet you that Ndigbo will give more than account of the violence because Biafrans had waged war of attrition against everybody in present day Nigeria including countries such as Egypt, Chad, Alhijo’s Cameroon, Britain, USSR, Niger, Australia and the Arab leagues.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by SapeleGuy: 8:27pm On Jan 02, 2010
Afam - Respectfully, I disagree. It can't be based on numbers because that reverts to an exam score of 3 over 250. Failed state. We have had 49 years of your number politics it hasn't worked.

At the table of the sovereign national conference every ethnicity must have equal standing with no regard for population or federal character.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by Mekusxyz: 8:28pm On Jan 02, 2010
Dede, do well also to get your facts completely right. Not just Imo but Abia and Anambra have oil. The huge reserves in Anmbra is about being exploited by Orient petroleum. Some googling will do. Thanks.
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by blacksta(m): 9:22pm On Jan 02, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Dede, do well also to get your facts completely right. Not just Imo but Abia and Anambra have oil. The huge reserves in Anmbra is about being exploited by Orient petroleum. Some googling will do. Thanks.

the chief tribalist done enter Please don't ruin this thread I dey enjoy am
Re: Nigerians Don't Need Crude Oil by Horus(m): 9:26pm On Jan 02, 2010
Why don't Nigeria just start the production of biodiesel?. Biodiesel is cleaner than crude oil, it is renewable, it is easy to manufacture, so why are we still using fossil fuel crude oil to make petrol and diesel?. Why don't we just grow more crops and make more biodiesel and other biofuels?

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Was ‘present’ (through The Recordings) When Mko Was Murdered -al-mustapha / kkk / Gej's Train Transformation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.