Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,202 members, 7,903,937 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 02:47 AM

How To Tackle A Task You’ve Never Done Before - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Tackle A Task You’ve Never Done Before (287 Views)

Abia Govt Moves To Tackle Rumour-mongering In The State / White House Needs Emergency Funds To Tackle Hurricane Harvey / Nigeria’s Science, Technology Roadmap To Tackle Capital Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Tackle A Task You’ve Never Done Before by Spazwik: 11:59am On Apr 18, 2017
ave you ever come across a situation where you go Excuse me! This is not my task, I am not trained to do this, This is not my specialty, My head hurts and I have not started the task.

We get this kind of tasks all the time, to create an excel sheet which we never worked on, to create a power point deck when we do not have any experience on a power point.

Times like this can be really depressing, but here are top ways to handle whatever comes your way, and stay winning i the workplace:

1. Dive in

When you’re tasked with something new and difficult, your first thought is likely, “I can’t do this.” But, to succeed, you must take off that negative outlook and believe in yourself, that you can do any task.

Be it a Powerpoint, spreadsheet, Photoshop, HTML or anything your work demands you to do, you can only finish the task when you put efforts. When you get a difficult task, do not over think and wait for some miracle to happen. The fact remains that you have to do it, no one will do it for you and you have to dive right in.

2. Google it

You may not have all the tools or knowledge you need to actually complete the project. But that’s okay, you just have to track them down. If it”s a task that you don’t have any idea of, remember that Google is your friend. Google it and see what resource you have online which will help you do the task. There are a lot o online tutorials for free.

Slide share is a great place for power point decks. You can also try YouTube, it’ll actually give you step by step procedures on how to do it.

3. Get help

It’s not a familiar task and you really don’t want to mess it up and tell the world that you don’t know it. So, don’t just sit with the task in hand and waste time. Getting it done is as easy as leaving your desk and finding a knowledgeable colleague and asking if he/she can help you with the task or if you can pick her brain to learn how to do it yourself.

Once you take the initiative, you’ll typically find that people are willing to help and resources are available. And leaning on that knowledge is a much better alternative than trying to do it all on your own.

4. Assess yourself

After you’ve made the first attempt, you have an even more valuable tool available to you: feedback from your boss and colleagues. Once you’ve completed a task, your teammates will be able to take a look at your progress so far and may be able to pinpoint where you went wrong or where you could approach the project or task differently.

Even if you stump the rest of the team and have to approach your boss with your less-than-stellar attempt, bringing something to your boss will show more initiative and drive to succeed than if you’d simply protested the project from the beginning.

What do you do when you get a task that you have never worked on?

Source: http://www.dailydigest.ng/how-to-tackle-task-youve-never-done-before/

(1) (Reply)

How To Start A Consulting Business (part Five) / How To Protect Your Business From Physical And Cyber Threats / Make Your Cool Cash Without Stress Withing 7days At Most.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.