Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,348 members, 7,920,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 12:23 AM

Does This Happen In Every Work Place? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Does This Happen In Every Work Place? (6399 Views)

How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? / I'm Being Accused Of Theft At My Work Place. / Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by Nobody: 8:14am On Apr 19, 2017
Stop worrying over trivial things.
Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by Bahddo(m): 8:47am On Apr 19, 2017
Nigerians are generally wasteful and complacent when it comes to management and maintenance. That's why the nation is in this mess. Well done op, it's okay to be different.

1 Like

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by Ferdinandu(m): 8:50am On Apr 19, 2017
peterdrury:
Good evening everyone, in my place of work, my colleagues have this habit of been wasteful. I recently gained employment in a bank as a contract staff. My task is to count notes and give it to whoever is in charge to post it(Head teller). In processing this cash, I may need to use a piece of paper to write the cash when it's not up to a pack(100) and also, the use of rubber band is needed too. Here comes the things I find absurd, my colleagues don't care about the rubber band and they will rather tear a new wrapper rather than use previous ones or the ones brought in by customers. When I try to pick these papers and rubber band from the floor to use, they call me a JJC. They said I should not bother, that the bank has money, they will purchase it when we need it.

I totally feel it's wrong, they can't use their own properties the way the use that of the bank.

I wrote this cause I want to know if this is what happens in every work place, do guys engage in this act of not handling company properties efficiently? I hate waste when it involves me directly.
Guy continue with the way you behave. Employees like you are difficult to come by. If I see an employee who handles his employers property the way he will handle his own without being monitored, I will never let that employee go. One day someone up there will notice your diligence and it might be the start of your answered prayer.

1 Like

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by shehuolayinka(m): 8:50am On Apr 19, 2017
You have now witnessed one of Nigeria mental illness

1 Like

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by OnePunchMan: 8:54am On Apr 19, 2017
peterdrury:
Good evening everyone, in my place of work, my colleagues have this habit of been wasteful. I recently gained employment in a bank as a contract staff. My task is to count notes and give it to whoever is in charge to post it(Head teller). In processing this cash, I may need to use a piece of paper to write the cash when it's not up to a pack(100) and also, the use of rubber band is needed too. Here comes the things I find absurd, my colleagues don't care about the rubber band and they will rather tear a new wrapper rather than use previous ones or the ones brought in by customers. When I try to pick these papers and rubber band from the floor to use, they call me a JJC. They said I should not bother, that the bank has money, they will purchase it when we need it.

I totally feel it's wrong, they can't use their own properties the way the use that of the bank.

I wrote this cause I want to know if this is what happens in every work place, do guys engage in this act of not handling company properties efficiently? I hate waste when it involves me directly.

You're one in a hundred thousand unfortunately... if everyone had your thought process or acted in the way you do or have your level of home training Nigeria would be a better place but unfortunately most Nigerians are angry, bitter, selfish, greedy and hate progress that isn't theirs.

1 Like

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:22am On Apr 19, 2017
AND YOU CALLED YOUR SELF A CONTRACT STAFF? INFACT YOU ARE STILL SEATING ON A LONG THING. WHY DONT YOU MIND YOUR BUSINESS AND STOP POKE NOSING INTO OTHER PEOPLES AFFAIRS, THE BANK WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ARE NOT COMPLAINING OR ARE THEY. YOU SHOULD BE MORE FOCUS ON SETTING YOUR SELF FREE FROM THE SHACKLES OF SLAVERY INSTEAD OF EYES SERVICE.

1 Like

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by dontai(m): 9:29am On Apr 19, 2017
NubiLove:
Stop worrying over trivial things.
Am once like op, until I realise some things don't worth worried about. Too trival.
Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by olad54: 10:19am On Apr 19, 2017
the change starts from you how ever little it may be. kudos. this is how some Nigerian behave. look at our streets, houses , roads,schools ,hospitals, airports mention it. uncared attitudes yet we complain when we are not paid on time or at all. little savings of stationeries and maintenance here and there makes a difference at the end of the financial year.

1 Like

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by jashar(f): 10:25am On Apr 19, 2017
OP, don't stoop to their mediocre mindset jare. Keep doing the right and noble thing even when you think no one is watching or noticing...

In time, your good deeds would make room for you.

1 Like

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by Bensam5060(m): 10:54am On Apr 19, 2017
Any thimg worth doing is worth doing well. Be committed in putting in your Best.

1 Like

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by Originalsly: 11:26am On Apr 19, 2017
Bro... learn to separate home life from work life. You are working in a big corporation.... not a small private business. Doesn't mean you must be wasteful.... but follow what is company practice. If you feel comfortable in recycling company issued rubberbands... feel free to do so but don't expect others to do same. Picking rubber bands off the floor is a no no.... and also reusing those provided by customers. Those off the floor are unhygienic period... shoes leaving deposits from the toilets and heaven knows from where else... rubber bands sucking it all up... and here you are Mr Frugal... picking it all up... absorbing some... and passing the rest on to the head teller and who knows who or where else. You can so easily start an epidemic in your workplace and won't even know....all because of ehmmm.... rescuing rubber bands. Get my drift? Let sleeping dogs rubberbands lie.
Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by humblemikel(f): 12:12pm On Apr 19, 2017
peterdrury:

IS THERE NO USEFUL NEWS ANYMORE IN NAIRALAND OR IS THIS A NEW SITE FOR GOSSIPS
Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by omogidi234(m): 12:22pm On Apr 19, 2017
Hi, some of our people here too may call you JJC. I will advise, please keep it up. Many thanks.
Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by pbethel: 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2017
Peterdrury u are blessed.
God bless you
Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by divinelove(m): 1:20pm On Apr 19, 2017
peterdrury:

provided u meet your 100million monthly target d bank wont bother bc of mere rubber band grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by babythug(f): 5:18pm On Apr 19, 2017
soberdrunk:
Op is 'Mr No waste", reminds me of one of my uncles that has this same "no waste' mentality, the man is so frugal that it has started affecting him psychologically, how else do you explain a man that has 'borehole' in his house but rations water....... angry

Orisirisi grin grin grin
Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by peterdrury: 7:04pm On Apr 19, 2017
Thanks for the reply and mentions, I could not reply on time cause I'm not allowed to use my phone during work hours.

I'm not a stingy person, being stingy is a different ball game and am not in that league.

I'm fully aware about the unhygienic nature of the job, my nose is always covered.

For the record, my intentions towards avoiding waste is based on my perceptions and character. I don't engage in "eye Service, I don't follow crowd,

Thanks once again, I appreciate.
Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by peterdrury: 7:09pm On Apr 19, 2017
coldgate:
OP: You will soon understand why you are not encouraged to use other people's wrappers especially from other banks. Let me educate you as someone who has supervised Bank tellers.

1. Low risk/ cash trail: Cash which you have counted and put into fresh wrappers bear your own initials and sometimes ,your personal stamp. Sometimes, cash needs to be traced for various reasons including robberies and fake currencies. If I know from your deposit register that you received deposits from 50 depositors excluding Mr C, then you make my job easier if an issue comes up regarding fakes or serial numbers need to be traced. Please use a fresh wrapper. Do not confuse me by using a wrapper from Jumoke's dustbin!

2. Risk of fraud is minimal when you use a fresh wrapper. You know what you counted and you are accountable. If any shortage occurs, you can't hold anyone else accountable. It is your cash!
When cash gets into the vault at the end of the day, the only thing differentiating the cash that you vaulted in for the day is YOUR wrapper bearing your signature and stamp. And, guess what? If any customer complains that he/she was short paid you are covered if you have used a fresh wrapper and he/she presents a different wrapper.

You do not want to know what happens when you have used Jumoke's wrapper and put your own initials or stamp because you wanted to save the Bank some few #. Banking is not done that way. It should be transparent. Those cash wrappers have definite uses.

3. Wrapper from another Bank into the Vault? Anyway, by now you would have known the consequences of such.

My advice? Take your time to learn the policies of your Bank regarding cash handling. You cannot be wiser than your cash manager/internal control. Tellers are languishing in maximum prisons for honest mistakes.
Thanks for the above.
I don't use use stamped wrappers cause I know what's involved. I used them for pieces which will be removed and merged by the head teller, other colleagues of mine or myself that very day. Thanks once again.
Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by peterdrury: 7:12pm On Apr 19, 2017
DEBJOCH1:
AND YOU CALLED YOUR SELF A CONTRACT STAFF? INFACT YOU ARE STILL SEATING ON A LONG THING. WHY DONT YOU MIND YOUR BUSINESS AND STOP POKE NOSING INTO OTHER PEOPLES AFFAIRS, THE BANK WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ARE NOT COMPLAINING OR ARE THEY. YOU SHOULD BE MORE FOCUS ON SETTING YOUR SELF FREE FROM THE SHACKLES OF SLAVERY INSTEAD OF EYES SERVICE.

You may called it slavery, but I will call it a stepping stone, nothing good comes easy, life itself is a stage. So many people wish to have less of what I have but they can't. Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nike Hires Nigerian Artist Laolu Sebanjo To Create Air Max Inspired Art In NY / Advice A Prospective Graduate / MASSIVE UNEMPLOYMENT LOOMS MTN NIGERIA: 4,500 STAFF TO LOSE THEIR JOBS!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.