Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,138 members, 7,913,256 topics. Date: Tuesday, 06 August 2024 at 10:16 PM

American Ridicules Lagos From The Air - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / American Ridicules Lagos From The Air (12954 Views)

Prof. Yemi Osibanjo Clears The Air About APC Kano Rally Photo He Tweeted / PDP Ridicules Buhari's Ill-health With Funny Cartoon / CNN Ridicules Governor Sylva (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by H2O2: 9:59pm On Jan 04, 2010
topup:

^^
Hey.
I see what you see topup.  Not much green land. Aside from the hot climate, what else could be responsible for the loss of greenery other than an indifference to maintenance?

Check your email.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by H2O2: 10:05pm On Jan 04, 2010
What amazes me most just prior to landing in Lagos is the lack of land structure or organization (I don't know how to describe it); everything looks coagulated.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by naijaking1: 10:05pm On Jan 04, 2010
@topup
Thanks a million for the graphics, that's the point I have been trying to make.
Our people's idea of development is total deforestation, because the people in power don't understand the positive impact of trees, vegetation, and grasses on our lives.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by naijaking1: 10:08pm On Jan 04, 2010
H2O2:

What amazes me most just prior to landing in Lagos is the lack of land structure or organization (I don't know how to describe it); everything looks coagulated.

Good choice of word.
I wish there's another picture to show the smoke and dust surrounding our cities as you land from the air.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Kobojunkie: 10:15pm On Jan 04, 2010
topup:

Then see Nigeria's coastline. See how green it is. (3rd pic) then see Lagos (4th pic). I understand a lot of people here live in luxury and they may see beauty everywhere they turn, but Nigeria as a whole does not reflect this, it is a country that you will see extreme wealth next door to extreme poverty. We could be better.

spot on!
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by topup: 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2010
naijaking1:

Good choice of word.
I wish there's another picture to show the smoke and dust surrounding our cities as you land from the air.

The fact that the satellite image shows Lagos to be 'brown' proves the amount of dust in the air.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by spikedcylinder: 10:21pm On Jan 04, 2010
Lol. Tpia doesn't need another ID to diss anyone.
Just sayin'.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by H2O2: 10:23pm On Jan 04, 2010
naijaking1:

Good choice of word.
That too.
Too much smog.
The very first time I flew back in to Nigeria I had to take off my shirt after stepping out of the airport because the smoke and dust made me irritable and uncomfortable.  It was almost unbearable.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Epi: 10:29pm On Jan 04, 2010
spikedcylinder:

They don't actually cut grass by hand - especially at the airport. Haba! It's not that bad.
I am assuming Haba means "good golly" by the way you used it.  Sometimes we have to lift our pride and accept things the way it is. I don't see cutting grass by hand as a way of saying things real bad in Nigeria undecided.  After all it's not like China where they cut grass with scissors (no offense to the Chinese)

@poster

When was the video taken? For all we know, things have changed in Nigeria (cutting of grass by hand)
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by namski(m): 10:30pm On Jan 04, 2010
@naijaking, while I haven't read the whole replies to this posting, I quite enjoyed your very first comment, before Choco5 replied like an obvious Nigerian. You should not be surprised by some comments you read on NL as they just perfectly reflect why our country is nothing short of a slum.

Your other mention of Enugu is quite a pathetic one. I thought I was the only mad man complaining about it, especially when Gov. Chimaroke Nnamani, who happens to be an American trained medical doctor and having lived most of his life in western societies could become a governor only to turn the golf course and the whole of the old zoological garden areas into housing estates. I tell you my brother, that singular act made me realise that come the end of this world that Nigeria will remain exactly as it is or even worse. Any person hoping on any improvements should read the comments posted by some NLanders on this particular post and then judge.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by naijaking1: 10:59pm On Jan 04, 2010
namski:

@naijaking, while I haven't read the whole replies to this posting, I quite enjoyed your very first comment, before Choco5 replied like an obvious Nigerian. You should not be surprised by some comments you read on NL as they just perfectly reflect why our country is nothing short of a slum.

Your other mention of Enugu is quite a pathetic one. I thought I was the only mad man complaining about it, especially when Gov. Chimaroke Nnamani, who happens to be an American trained medical doctor and having lived most of his life in western societies could become a governor only to turn the golf course and the whole of the old zoological garden areas into housing estates. I tell you my brother, that singular act made me realise that come the end of this world that Nigeria will remain exactly as it is or even worse. Any person hoping on any improvements should read the comments posted by some NLanders on this particular post and then judge.

Heart warming, thankx.
I grew up around the Ekulu area of GRA Enugu. We had 3-4 big mango tree around the garden area. There was a full garden with a gardener to match, but when I visited that house last week, a multi-occupant house was standing right where the garden used to be, all the trees gone. embarassed Apparently, some goverment official thought that the white man who designed and built those living areas was a fool for leaving 1 1/2 plots of land as a garden. Afterall, a plot land in GRA is worth its size in gold.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by topup: 10:59pm On Jan 04, 2010
MandingoII:

He did not lie.

He told the truth.

the issue is:

Why is Lagos so Brown?

and

wHAT happened to all your forest?

I'm sure Nigerians know that anwser, RIGHT?

Damn right!!

When the people say there is nothing that needs changing, don't be surprised if all you hear from the leaders is there is nothing that needs to be changed.

We need to open our eyes, and understand that every country gets 'ridiculed' because every country has an will continue to make mistakes, non of us are perfect.

Let me give you an example, Chinese people have been made fun for centuries, being funny looking, eyes, cheekbones, skin colour, and labelled as restaurant workers, and my impression is that they don't really care, and this is GOOD because they let their actions speak louder than words. Did everyone watch the Beijing olympics, did we not admit that China has structure, China has grace, technology and wealth?

No amount of hate mail directed at the people teasing them could have solved this reputation.

When faced with criticism the best response is action that cannot be faulted, it even makes those who made the judgements seem obviously ignorant.

When Nigeria becomes the world's no.1 for something notable, then the world will respect us.

We should be training heros, people who will change Nigeria and put it on the map for great things.

We have to stop standing by what Nigeria was and what it could be, but instead face the reality of what it is. Once we've faced it, we'll know where to go next.

I read a report that stated that the average life expectancy in Nigeria was 45/51 years for male and females respectively, and I was shocked - "this can't be true." my great grandmother died at the age of 85 and I still have one who is close to a hundred years old. But then I thought what about the lives of those who I see selling food on the side of the street, how do they live and the millions unemployed with no way of getting healthcare or education.

Then I realised this statistic was probably true. By opening my eyes to my surroundings I realised how privileged I am, but then with these statistics I realised the truth of the country which I call my home.

We can do better.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by naijaking1: 11:03pm On Jan 04, 2010
^^^^^^
Word
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by emisun(m): 11:30pm On Jan 04, 2010
why do you guys always attache anything good to whiteman.we africans have always lived with tree around the compound long b4 civilization.inferiority complex is worrying a whole lot people.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by namski(m): 11:57pm On Jan 04, 2010
@topup, you have said it all.

@naijaking, again judge by emisun's comment.

All I can say is sorry to my dear country Nigeria.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by topup: 12:24am On Jan 05, 2010
emisun:

why do you guys always attache anything good to whiteman.we africans have always lived with tree around the compound long b4 civilization.inferiority complex is worrying a whole lot people.

You don't see 'foreigners' dying to get visas to enter into Africa lol. .

This reminds me of a part I watched in a movie called  "Once upon a time in China." the lead character said that they were substituting China's wonderful heritage for all things 'white' but then at the end of the movie he realised that for a country to succeed it must grow and move with the flow, all whilst keeping a tight hold of its pride and its heritage. You don't lose your heritage by becoming global.

If non-African methods are being adopted, I'd hope that it was because they make sense.

Unfortunately for us, a lot of Africans have not gone to the extent to test and PROVE to the world that their ways of doing things make sense and are viable, instead we use force to prove that we are right.

The world has moved on, and yes some of the things we do may need to be tweaked. No matter how much we change, we will never lose our character and traditions if we CHOOSE not to let it - if we understand that the reason for adopting the new measure is a logical one and not one based on pressures.

Anybody who knows me will say that I am one who will not trade her traditions for anything but there are somethings which simply fall into the category of developing. One being the fact that greenery and some form of structure in the urban landscape adds beauty to the scenery.

Someone please tell me that all of Lagos developed through careful planning - no one?

I studied urban design (and I'm not saying that qualifies any of my statements), and it has been proven time and time again that a well planned environment pays off.
We can't say this is the 'white man's way of doing things' our ancestors planned the layout of their huts, they laid everything out, and decorated what was important to them and what held some significance, ordering things is not a crime.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by naijaking1: 12:35am On Jan 05, 2010
emisun:

This thread began as a result of a whiteman's offensive comments about Nigeria---remember?
Then, it simply led to other examples where things had been better planned, that also happens to have been under the whiteman's jurisdiction.
My brother, if you refuse to do the right thing for yourself and for your country simply because you don't want to give a whiteman the credit for it, then we're all in trouble.
Healthy living, clean environment, ecological respect is not a whiteman's thing, but if it takes a whiteman to jerk us into action, then so be it.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by kindley: 12:37am On Jan 05, 2010
naijaking1:

Heart warming, thankx.
I grew up around the Ekulu area of GRA Enugu. We had 3-4 big mango tree around the garden area. There was a full garden with a gardener to match, but when I visited that house last week, a multi-occupant house was standing right where the garden used to be, all the trees gone. embarassed Apparently, some goverment official thought that the white man who designed and built those living areas was a fool for leaving 1 1/2 plots of land as a garden. Afterall, a plot land in GRA is worth its size in gold.

Well, you are right! The problem with the people criticising what he said is simply bec they cannot seperate the speaker from what he said.

For goodness sake, this is obviously what many Nigerians face everyday! Town planning policy is non existent in Nigeria and where their is, they are not executed. For example, Festac Town, 10  years after Festac '77, the master plan for the estate (one of the most beautiful in Africa) was turned UPSIDE DOWN- houses were built where on places that were earmarked to be open area, gardens with trees where kids and adults kids can relax and have fun have houses erected on them, structures were erected, undergrounds which have electric and communication  cables now have structures buillt on them, etc, etc, etc.

What I am trying to so here is Nigeria lack structures and basic institutions that make things work. Town planning, execution, maintenance, etc. I challenge someone, in a year from now to check the states of the stadia that hosted the Under 17 World Cup late last year and the report to Nairaland! I am not even going to take too much time on greens because if you can't look after things that talk, I wondder how you can look after things that cant talk?

Isn't it a shame that Nigeria, that boast of good weather do not jave a National Park? isn't it a shame that we have leaders whp unashamedly going abroad for medical treatment when majority of their people undulge in self treatment because they cannot afford medical bills? Isn't it a shame that the president's true state of health condition is being concealed from his own people?!! ARGHH!!! Isn't it a shame that Nigeria, a country of 150 million, largest country in Africa, a major EXPORTER OF OIL IN THE WORLD, a country with peace loving people, have no leverage or influence in international politics to stop other countries from punishing MAJORITY of her citizens for offences comitted by LITTLE FEW? In the case of the Xmas day alleged bomber, an offence that was planned, nurtured, organised, executed  outside Nigeria, that had nothing whatsoever to do with NIGERIA and despite a Nigerian effort to prevent it, isn't it a shame that Nigerians going about their daily lives would now face stricter discrimination?

Shouldn't Nigerians be ashmed of being wealthy but poor?

IT'S A BIG FAT SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by naijaking1: 12:41am On Jan 05, 2010
^^^
I beg tell them.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by namski(m): 12:51am On Jan 05, 2010
@kindley, abeg I rest my case. I can't add anything more.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by MyneWhite1(f): 1:00am On Jan 05, 2010
Which country is he from BTW?
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by No2Atheism(m): 1:07am On Jan 05, 2010
- Yes it is the typical condescending attitude of a White man coming to an African country . . .

- Yes I also dislike the fact that most people now build houses without giving consideration to the fact that they need to consider having a green living space area . . .

- Hence in as much as he had a condescending attitude, some of the things said is also true . . . in that most people don't seem to understand that having at least a plot of green area within the house itself is beneficial for the human beings living in those houses.
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Nobody: 1:12am On Jan 05, 2010
the fellow dissed Nigeria and racked up more views for his youtube video.

so?

and who are the people with tpia on the brain?

am I in your cupboard too?
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by No2Atheism(m): 1:13am On Jan 05, 2010
emisun:

- It is this inferiority complex that makes people build glorified prisons and live in them . . .

- Before now i used to wonder why some people go to great lenghts to live build mansions in places with semi-rural settings that contain less number of houses and more natural landscape . . . it is recently that I also realised that I simply can't even bring myself to become huddled up in an area without having at least a plot of land containing nothing other than trees and green grass.

Its unfortunate, but it seems Africans don't understand that they don't need to throw out their former village landscape . . . all Africans need to do is merely replace the old houses with modern ones while still leaving the natural landscape intact. . .

I would love to see Nigeria enact and enforce laws that make people provide spaces for Trees and green grass in their houses . . .
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by xterra2(m): 1:25am On Jan 05, 2010
After that in Lagos,the American came to Abuja and the observation was that MJ is not dead-not to a Cop
Check the Video Out:
[embed]
<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUh6a2F5TSE&border=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUh6a2F5TSE&border=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="349">[/embed][/object]
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Choco5: 2:07am On Jan 05, 2010
look at the tag he put on this thing 'what the world thinks of lagos'
chai seun u should have finished school! U
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by No2Atheism(m): 2:15am On Jan 05, 2010
edit
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by xammy(m): 2:33am On Jan 05, 2010
you no go face where u day go foooool and thank GOD say electric wire no hang ur plane
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by naijaking1: 2:46am On Jan 05, 2010
tpia.:

the fellow dissed Nigeria and racked up more views for his youtube video.

so?

and who are the people with tpia on the brain?

am I in your cupboard too?

Good to see you. I missed you already, someone said something about changing ID, I knew your too cool for that.
The guy could not have attracted any viewer if he wasn't telling the truth undecided
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by tonjoan: 2:54am On Jan 05, 2010
naijaking1:

Good to see you. I missed you already, someone said something about changing ID, I knew your too cool for that.
The guy could not have attracted any viewer if he wasn't telling the truth undecided
True talk, your posts here have said it all as a complete judgement from what we all saw and also from what we heard the white man say. I don't know why choco5 would call you a goon, but I know you certainly aren't the goon, judging by the posts between you and him. Thumbs up man
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by Kilonso: 3:09am On Jan 05, 2010
"I guess they cut the grass by hand" shouldn't offend any of us at all, because the grass doesn't look like one cut by by machine
Re: American Ridicules Lagos From The Air by lastpage: 3:22am On Jan 05, 2010
A few pages behind, "naijaking" said its only in Niaja that people burn their trash!
Na wa o!
I live in Europe and a few times when l go on long trips by Bus, l've seen "white man" burning his trash (not everyday or everywhere).
I have seen heap of trash, washed down by the cold rain. It happens a lot in the country side.

Having said that, it does not take away from the fact that we need to better manage our environment.

Like someone has observed, once some Nigerians travel abroad and come back, everything in Nigeria suddenly become trash, such is their mentality!!

But can we blame them, like the saying goes "if a big calamity brings you down, smaller insignificant threats will also show face and claim a patch", literally.

The Yorubas will say " we should drive away the fox and then come back and admonish the wayward chicken" but not so for some of us who take pleasure in been derided by every "white skin" that is looking for an opportunity to call us 'monkey'!
The "Plane bomb plot" is another excuse but most pitiable are the same Nigerians (omo'ale to fi owo osi juwe ile babare: "naughty child" that points out his father's house with a left hand) that join in the chorus.

I have heard it said that "if an English man says British weather sucks (and it really does!), woe unto the foreigner that joins him to say so"!

There is a way a "white foreigner" can point out an "obvious anomaly" within your house but there is a way he can do it that you will also take offense,
If the intention is to ridicule you.
"I bet they cut the grass by hand" was meant to insult us, every Tom and Harry has a lawnmower at home, talk less of FAAN!

I do not intend to win any arguments here since some have "lost it" and have become more American/European that their benefactor.
What do you call a son that "slaps his father in the face, because the father was drunk"?
Are there better ways to bring the father's attention to his wrong-doing than whacking him full face

Its about having an innate sense of pride, come what may afterall, if it was in Nigeria that the "MP allowance scandal" happened, British people will talk about it for the next five years, write books on it and some "left-handed child immigrant" will join them to rubbish their people and nation, for the next two decades! shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity: FG Prioritizes Products Distribution / PDP Members Boycott Meeting Organized By Ali Modu Sheriff / Ogun APC Warns Banks Against Granting Amosun’s Last-minute Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.