Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,134 members, 7,887,280 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:45 AM

Expired Temporary Drivers License - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Expired Temporary Drivers License (4709 Views)

FRSC Sets Deadline For Number Plates Violation, Drivers License / Lost My Temporary Drivers License / How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Expired Temporary Drivers License by cjfbn: 5:59am On Apr 20, 2017
Guys, my drivers license has expired and I was issued with a temporary license. This has also expired and I am being told by FRSC that they cannot extend it and the license is not ready. I was told that that is the new procedure and that I will not be disturbed by policemen. I want to know if that is how it is being done now? I don't want to have any issue with our boys in black.
Please help and clarify.
Re: Expired Temporary Drivers License by joe4real12: 6:35am On Apr 20, 2017
I also experienced the same recently.
Simply tell our men in black what FRSC told you. That it will be ready soon.

I thought road blocks have been banned
Re: Expired Temporary Drivers License by redcliff: 7:05am On Apr 20, 2017
Useless country.. does it mean that each state in nigeria does not have a state headquarter where they can attend to requests from each state? Why must they send it to abuja for printing? Besides how many people drive in nigeria and how many licences do they have to print a month and send back to the various states.. at most 1-2m every month.(worse case scenario) can this not be printed under a month? If they are worried about states divertung funds, they ahould make all payments strictly online or through a designated account and direct/enforce states to handle card request for their various states. Nobody is thinking correctly in nigeria anymore...fried brains..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Expired Temporary Drivers License by nurey(m): 9:02am On Apr 20, 2017
You are supposed to make a photocopy of the expired temporary one give the officer at the desk to sign and stamp (he would shift the date again by 3 months).

Don't believe any police officer will listen to that crap, once you break the law, the officer won't listen to ingbati ingbati oooo.

Better carry yourself back and tell him you were harassed by police and your vehicle impounded so they can do the needful

1 Like

Re: Expired Temporary Drivers License by Connoisseur(m): 9:22am On Apr 20, 2017
Do not present any expired license to police, na station be the next thing.

My solution is use the papers you were given when you paid for the license prior to been issued the temporary license.
Re: Expired Temporary Drivers License by bravolad(m): 10:14am On Apr 20, 2017
I had the expired temporary license for more than 8 months & drove from Lagos to Abuja with the same license on several occasions. In Abuja, the expired temporary license will not be extended; no officer will sign any document for you.

However, the practice seems different in Lagos as VIO is said to extend it after the initial expiration.

Within my period of usingredients the expired temporary license, I had series of encounter with the NPF enroute Lagos to Abuja. In one of the encounters, I was delayed for more than 3 hours in Lagos because the police wanted me to part with some money which I was not ready to do. They clearly understood that the issuance of the substantive license was a delay from VIO & FRSC and therefore had nothing to do with me. Despite the delay, I stood my ground and clearly told them that I was ready to go any length with them. I also noticed they were reluctant to take me to their station even when I insisted following their threat of taking me to station.

After more than 3 hours, they handed back the expired temporary license to me & asked me to go.

In the same vein, once they observe that you fidgeting and are in a hurry, you have become a veritable tool for extortion. So my advise is that you should not be scared and always let them know that when your license is ready, VIO/FRSC will issue it out.
Re: Expired Temporary Drivers License by adanny01(m): 10:36am On Apr 20, 2017
bravolad:
I had the expired temporary license for more than 8 months & drove from Lagos to Abuja with the same license on several occasions. In Abuja, the expired temporary license will not be extended; no officer will sign any document for you.

However, the practice seems different in Lagos as VIO is said to extend it after the initial expiration.

Within my period of usingredients the expired temporary license, I had series of encounter with the NPF enroute Lagos to Abuja. In one of the encounters, I was delayed for more than 3 hours in Lagos because the police wanted me to part with some money which I was not ready to do. They clearly understood that the issuance of the substantive license was a delay from VIO & FRSC and therefore had nothing to do with me. Despite the delay, I stood my ground and clearly told them that I was ready to go any length with them. I also noticed they were reluctant to take me to their station even when I insisted following their threat of taking me to station.

After more than 3 hours, they handed back the expired temporary license to me & asked me to go.

In the same vein, once they observe that you fidgeting and are in a hurry, you have become a veritable tool for extortion. So my advise is that you should not be scared and always let them know that when your license is ready, VIO/FRSC will issue it out.

I never give police any original document.

They can hold me there because i am afraid they will shoot if i take off but not on account that my original document is with them. I only show FRSC/VIO my original DL. These ones will impound the car if there is an infraction with no original document to sieze.
Re: Expired Temporary Drivers License by Osolo1(m): 1:08pm On Apr 20, 2017
Before now, you could obtain your DL under a few hours, but FRSC left their statutory functions of safety on the road and became a revenue generating agency,messed up the entire system and issuance of DL became more difficult than obtaining even a USA visa. We need to kick against this exploitation ASAP.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

RIP Username Egunmogaji / System Voltage Error On 2009 Camry. / Where Can I Get Nigeria-style Licence Plates?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.