Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,948 members, 7,922,340 topics. Date: Friday, 16 August 2024 at 03:21 AM

Survival Account On Football Viewing Center Disaster - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Survival Account On Football Viewing Center Disaster (353 Views)

Ganduje Reopens Football Viewing Centres In Kano / Types Of Nigerians You Will See At A Football Viewing Centre (Memes) / See Photo Of The Survivors Of The Football Viewing Center Tragedy In Calabar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Survival Account On Football Viewing Center Disaster by popstico: 3:31am On Apr 23, 2017
It was gathered that while the match was on, there was a loud noise from the transformer occasioning power outage, following which the cable landed on the roof of the viewing centre. It was gathered that the football fans were aware that the cable landed on the roof, but they were so keen on watching the match that they ignored it.

Rather than vacate the hall, they urged the owner of the centre to put on his generator, saying that there was no current in the cable that fell on the roof. Unfortunately, moments after the owner of the viewing centre switched on the generator, public power was restored and fire erupted in the building.

An eyewitness recalled that the building suddenly began to vibrate while the fire raged. In the ensuing stampede, many of the viewers escaped while many others got electrocuted.

“As their bodies got in contact with the zinc, which now had current running through it, many of them got electrocuted. That was how the problem escalated,” the eyewitness said.

A young man who identified himself simply as Innocent said: “I was inside the building when we heard the first explosion. Some of us came outside and we saw the cable that had fallen on the roof. In fact, some people were passing under the cable as they were calling the owner of the viewing centre to put on the generator so that they could continue watching the match.

“When the generator was switched on, people went inside. My saving grace was that I stood outside, waiting for the DSTV (Direct Satellite Television) to finish loading. You know that DSTV normally takes time to load when it goes off. So I stood outside for some minutes. But just as I was going inside to check if the match had restarted, I saw a close friend who had sat in front of me running out. His body touched the zinc wall and he fell to the ground.
READ FULL STORY: http://www.thekalabaris.com/2017/04/23/survival-account-on-football-viewing-center-disaster/
Re: Survival Account On Football Viewing Center Disaster by shininglite(m): 6:29am On Apr 23, 2017
typical Nigerian mentality... the only warning Nigerians take serious is low battery...

(1) (Reply)

Do You Need Football Livescore Or Any Other Web Project / Chelsea Boss Conte: My Heart Is Still In Italy / Manchester United Players To Honour Dead Calabar Fans On Sunday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.