Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,964 members, 7,949,286 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 04:51 AM

Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? (17908 Views)

Poll: Which marriage ceremony is more important?

Traditional?: 67% (44 votes)
White?: 32% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / Nigeria Is Blessed With Culture.. Some Beautiful Traditional Marriage Pictures / The Uselessness Of White Wedding In African Societies!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by Shentz(f): 7:56pm On Jun 04, 2009
White wedding
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by Abbygyal(f): 10:04pm On Jun 04, 2009
fayahsoul:

I stay ready for the combat while the ignorant are praying and wondering where their God at!

just coz u do not believe in God doesnt mean u should be so insensitive with waeva message u sending 2 odas, i do nt discriminate againt religion or waeva, waeva ur beliefs are are kool by me. . .buh just express ya feelings in a more appreciate manner, ? ya dig?.x
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by fayahsoul: 10:36pm On Jun 04, 2009
Abbygyal:

just coz u do not believe in God doesnt mean u should be so insensitive with waeva message u sending 2 odas, i do nt discriminate againt religion or waeva, waeva ur beliefs are are kool by me. . .buh just express ya feelings in a more appreciate manner, ? ya dig?.x

I do know(not believe) that there is a supreme being whom my people call Chukwu and our Afurakan Gods and ancestors act as intercessors between us and Chukwu who is distant.

People should deal with the message and not the packaging
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by Abbygyal(f): 10:39pm On Jun 04, 2009
uve gat to respect people for whom dey are and what dey belief. . .do u see me asking u questions why u dnt belief in the Almighty God? nope . .
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by fayahsoul: 11:36pm On Jun 04, 2009
Abbygyal:

uve gat to respect people for whom dey are and what dey belief. . .do u see me asking u questions why u dnt belief in the Almighty God? nope . .

I just said that i know there is a supreme being my people call chukwu. . .so what are u talking about?

Anyways, i gats no respect for sell-outs. Period
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by Abbygyal(f): 11:39pm On Jun 04, 2009
yh coz u dnt respect urself either. PERIOD wink
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by fayahsoul: 12:34am On Jun 05, 2009
Abbygyal:

yh coz u dnt respect urself either. PERIOD wink

No. Becos they don't respect themselves and their heritage.
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by Abbygyal(f): 8:44am On Jun 05, 2009
uhmmmmn? neways RESPECT and BELIEFS are two different phrases.
your attitudes and beliefs including u prejudicing against people just because dey belong to a certain religion is freaking bad.
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by qkman: 12:28pm On Jun 05, 2009
its a personnal choice.
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by davtoj: 9:27pm On Jun 08, 2009
Hi.

I will pick the traditional wedding only anyday, that is what i did, the White wedding is a jamboree, and it is just for showmanship, it is a public display of wealth and to show that your friends that you are married, Truth is both ceremonies are mere symbolism of being married, our foefathers didn't get married in church, and the traditional weddings we see today is been distorted for public display as well,

Adam and Eve did not get married in church and there were no ceremonies, till years later, yet they had kids, I want everyone to realise that everything we have today in societies the world over, evolved over time, they were man made and they became acceptable norms and traditions of the various societies the world over, even the language we speak,

Bottom line here is that NOBODY should be pressurised to get married in church or in the village, if you (both couples) feel that the Registry is best for you,please go ahead and do it Even if it means you have only one witness
no one can claim that you are not married, and you can save your money for training your kids and looking after your home,

I didn't mean to lecture here, but i am very passionate about this topic, and it grieves me to see people suffer because they want to be like the Dangotes, Obasanjo and the Burbank's, PLEASE BE YOURSELF,

I am happily married (traditional) with two kids,

D
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by slimfine(f): 6:10pm On Jun 13, 2009
I will prefer a traditional wedding becuase that is where my bride price is paid.
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jun 13, 2009
J'essaie de vous dire, que vous avez été parti depuis trop longtemps
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by jamace(m): 4:54am On Jun 14, 2009
J'essaie de vous dire, que vous avez été parti depuis trop longtemps
Who be dis again? Dis na special show-off. Na wa o sad
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by Yorubah(m): 4:50pm On Jun 17, 2009
Na traditional wedding be the koko, have you seen Oyinbo wey do our traditional wedding for there country, you don't know what you have not until you loose it. Ise se lagba
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by tamme: 4:56am On Oct 09, 2009
traditional hands downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by anikpegabriel: 6:16pm On Jan 04, 2014
I have done a powerful traditional marriage and court marriage two years ago but my wife still pressurize me to do white wedding because of wedding ring. Please pals,is white wedding so necessary seeing we have two children already?
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by chiefwedslolo(f): 11:00pm On Jan 05, 2014
I think it is up to the couple. If it is important for them to have both, they can have both.
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by eddybekp(m): 5:52pm On May 19, 2017
yelum:
BOTH!
BOTH!!
BOTH
!!!
Wedding is imported culture. It is a mere ceremony. Customary marriage is the ideal marriage established by God in Africa. The white people were able to tactically incorporate their culture into christianity. We are confuse here in Nigeria. Without customary marriage, you are not married.
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by eddybekp(m): 5:54pm On May 19, 2017
Wedding is imported culture. It is a mere
ceremony. Customary marriage is the ideal
marriage established by God in Africa. The white people were able to tactically incorporate their culture into christianity. We are confuse here in Nigeria. Without customary marriage, you are not married.
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by Blacquin(f): 1:18am On May 20, 2017
pisces20:
well for me both are important. when you perform the traditional marriage it means you respect your tradition and performing the white wedding is like inviting God to your marriage because without Him the whole thing'll just flop.
so God's presence is nut in d traditional marriage
Re: Traditional Marriage Or 'White Wedding'? by OsbornTyler7: 7:57am On Sep 16, 2022
If you are looking for a beautiful bride who is willing to commit to a lifelong marriage, consider a ukrainian brides. These women are known to be well educated and have multiple talents. They are often good at math and science, and enjoy a diverse range of hobbies and interests. Some women are avid cyclists or skiers, or even lovers of art. Ukraine has a long history and some amazing architecture. You may want to marry a bride if you have a love of sports.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prof. Paul Okumagba Crowned As Orosuen Of Okere Urhobo Warri, Delta State / Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die / Which Nigerian Language Is The Easiest To Learn?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.