Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,154 members, 7,890,904 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:55 PM

Nigeria Is Still In Darkness (ii) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Still In Darkness (ii) (254 Views)

Melaye’s Children Sleep In Darkness After Police Refused AEDC To Reconnect Power / Breaking!! Darkness Engulf Some Parts Of Nigeria / Is It Corruption That Has Made PHCN Kept Us In Darkness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Is Still In Darkness (ii) by OGBENIIFE: 7:33pm On Apr 25, 2017
NIGERIA IS STILL IN DARKNESS (II)
BY: PETER, Ekemini
Email: ekeminicephas1@outlook.ccom

Favouritism and tribalism is another problem of Nigeria. I am aware that Nigeria lacks a common goal and identity. I learnt that tribalism and favouritism is one of the causes in the light of such lecture.
In order not to favour some people and render this paper too sentimental, let me declare my views as regards some uniform officers. Our security personnel, as the name implies, are supposed to protect our right and existence as long as we remain loyal and patriotic. It is on the contrary that some of our uniform officers operate. I am aware that by the virtue of their work, a uniform officer should be given some level of benefit and preferential treatment. He may need to attend to an emergency in the next moment. But it is not right for a uniform officer to take undue advantage of the people by collecting the ATM cards meant for certain individual(s) and go straight to withdraw money for them without taking permission from the people on the queue. Some of them do it to be rewarded by their employers. Such action cause murmur in a place where such an officer was deployed to constitute and maintain peace. Sometimes the persons they work for are not even the pregnant women or aged that are permitted in such cases. I do know that some cases would demand a mass arrest by the police without requiring detention but to extract information that can lead to the arrest of a culprit. But I do not understand why some selfish officers would go contrary to what is expected of them. Some police officers would go against the command of a superior officer while on a mission to arrest. They will immediately beat up the suspect who may be innocent without carrying out any investigation. It is very common to see three to about five well-armed police officers going to arrest an unarmed civilian who only fought with a neighbor without shedding blood or causing severe injury. I am aware it is not so in developed countries. Those countries are the ones actually on track, we are still miles away.
What about our Doctors and Nurses and their negligence of duty. They will leave some patients to struggle and die in their pains in the name of “buy card and register first…you have to pay your deposit first”. They do that too in some Government hospitals. I know they want to ensure effective generation of fund. But what should be our priority in the case of life and death? Is it money? (Private hospitals may be exempted in that question). Can our government not make provisions for such cases in all government hospitals at least?
We have been in this darkness for far too long. Now is the time to wake up. We have been dreaming for years before now. Let us wake up. Otherwise it will be just like the much emphasized Vision 2020 which is now witnessing little or no attention. Our government should play her role well in development of appropriate systems for the nation’s building. Good monitoring team should be set up. Members of such team should ensure honesty, faithfulness and diligence in executing their duties. Respective leaders should refrain from greed and ensure they deliver their duty without selfish interest. Let us not concentrate on criticizing the leaders and the police with the understanding that we have failed as a group; a country. And that the police and politicians are seen to be very corrupt because there are closer and more open to us. We hardly speak against senior civil servants because they do their evil with just pen and paper inside their offices. Let us stand to the fact that we owe our country duties and obligations and we must do them. Let every citizen have a change and renewed mind and things will be better. Nigeria, our country will only continue to remain in darkness if the youths continue to say “I am just waiting for an opportunity to be there, I shall make money. Corruption won’t end in my time”. If corrupt minds are not renewed, things will not work normal since a corrupt mind breeds a corrupt leader. A corrupt mind produces a corrupt lecturer. Corrupt minds brings about corrupt masses. A corrupt youth will be a corrupt leader.

I do welcome corrections and critics but in polite, friendly and educative manner.
#IamMcCoyMcPeter.
© April 17

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NOBODY IS POOR!!! By Uba Chiemezuo Anyawu / Very Soon / Samuel Ortom, Terrorism In Benue State And Other Matters, By Michael Apeh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.