Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,128 members, 7,887,264 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:11 AM

How To Get A Job Through The Phone - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get A Job Through The Phone (587 Views)

I Got A Job Through Debbie And Nairaland On The 14th Of February / I Got A Job Through Nairaland / Just Got A Job Through Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Get A Job Through The Phone by zazawaga(m): 12:04pm On Apr 26, 2017
With everyday that goes by, the job market gets even more populated and complicated or shall I say refurblished. Everyday, there's an improvement and this ironically, makes it difficult for job seekers to get their foot in the door. Frankly speaking nowadays, a good CV is not enough to get past the hiring manager because there are hundreds if not thousands of other good CVs waiting to be considered. If you by chance, your good CV earns you a phonecall from the recruiter, you better make it good, my friend.

And in case you didn't know, that phone call you get after you applied for a job / sent your resume out; that's an interview. And if getting that job is important to you, you'll do well not to ruin the phone interview. So now you know getting through the phone interview is the first step most interviewers want to take after spending about 10 seconds on your CV.

Phone interviews can be challenging on both sides because the recruiter can’t see you which means they can only decide to eliminate or accept the candidate depending on how the conversation goes. There are limited job openings and so many candidates vying for the same job which implies that you have about 3 minutes to impress the hiring manager, once you pick up that call.

It’s left for you to decide what you do before, during and after the phone interview. I'll suggest the following.

1. Research

Trust me, I know this sounds cliche. But you can't over-emphasize the huge need to do your homework on your prospective company, right. As soon as you apply for the job opening or even before the application process, start your research on the company. Be aware that some recruiters might decide to test you by calling you without prior information while some would have scheduled the meeting with you before the time of interview. However, with the phone interview you can have a ‘crib sheet’ to help you remember all the valid points you want to dish out to the hiring manager (Did I just say this? I didn’t tell you to cheat).

Hot tip: You can reschedule the call ASAP to the time you’d be free and prepared for the interview.

2. Get your phone charged

If your interview is scheduled, make your phone is fully charged as you can’t trust the Power Holding Company in Nigeria. To avoid stories that touch while trying to explain how excellent you were on your previous job or your achievements, ensure it's fully charged orbetter still have a spare phone (preferably non-android) for other random calls.

Hot tip: A well charged power bank could come in handy here.

3. Get a comfortable environment

Picking a nice location with a noise free background will make a lot of sense. You don’t want to be in a serious conversation and the kids are dragging the phone with you (If you have any) neither do you want the grinding machine from the next compound to deter you from making it in life or worst case scenario, some kids playing football in the neighbourhood with the scream of ‘goaaaaalll’. All this could be avoided if you’ve prepared a comfortable environment for yourself in the case of a scheduled phone interview.

Prepare like you are ready for a physical interview, you can be all dressed up too; if that helps with getting you in character.

During the interview

4. Don’t talk too much

You might think saying everything would help you ace your interview but I'd like to tell you that to some extent, talking too much might turn off the interviewer. As much as you have a lot to say about yourself, achievements – be attentive to the interviewer, sound convincing enough, don’t pause for too long to answer questions about yourself and achievements. To avoid the long pause, you can take 5 seconds to think through the questions before answering them. You can stand up and pace around the room, if you want too.

For me during physical interviews, I like to swing the chair I’m sitting on. It helps release the tension I have within me, however this could be a bit of distraction to the interviewer, so there has to be a balance. I wish I could stand and pace around the room during those conversations but you can, if it's a phone interview.

Listen attentively to the questions before you provide answers to the questions, don’t forget to smile like you’re in a physical conversation with interviewer. Smiling can influence the way you answer questions too.

Hot tip: Pronounce your words appropriately, speak clearly. Don’t make your interviewer strain their ears to hear whatever you have to say.

In a conversation with Funmilola Ogunlusi, Human Resource manager, Seamlesshiring.com; she said she looks out for the confidence in their tone because she can’t see them and judge from their body language but she'll definitely look out for what they say.

5. Take notes

It is important that you take notes of the cogent information that the interviewer might dish out. This might sort of help you in the next phase of interview if you were able to get pass the first one.

Hot tip: Don’t rely too much on your memory; you can use a paper and a pen here to get the necessary information needed.

6. End the conversation on a positive note

No matter how long, complicated or easy an interview was, it will definitely come to an end. However, it is good that you end the conversation on a positive note. This shows that you’re very keen on getting the job but not desperate.

After the interview, a good thank you text message or mail would do after the interview. You know, the hiring manager might think of you after the day’s job but first you must have proved yourself worthy of the job. Convince the hiring manager beyond a reasonable doubt that you are the right candidate for the job.

Don’t forget to keep searching for better opportunities and keep making yourself better in the process of looking out for job openings.

If you found this useful and want to read more of this, just holla!

Kindly share this post if you found it useful

https://discovery.insidify.com/how-to-get-a-job-through-the-phone

(1) (Reply)

Content Developers, Bloggers Wanted Urgently - Abuja Alone / British Council Ongoing Recruitment / Geography Teacher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.