Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,223 members, 7,880,845 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:02 AM

“I Didn’t Snub Ooni Of Ife At A Public Function, It Is Culture” - Oba Of Lagos - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / “I Didn’t Snub Ooni Of Ife At A Public Function, It Is Culture” - Oba Of Lagos (488 Views)

I Didn’t Snub Ooni -oba Akiolu / I Didn’t Snub Ooni -oba Akiolu / "Oba Akiolu Didn't Snub Ooni Of Ife" - White Cap Chief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

“I Didn’t Snub Ooni Of Ife At A Public Function, It Is Culture” - Oba Of Lagos by RapportNaija(m): 1:49pm On Apr 28, 2017
The Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu has denied that he snubbed the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi at a public function which took place in Lagos some days ago. A video was released on social media showing the Oba of Lagos bluffing the greeting of the Ooni of Ife with a disrespectful wave.

Many Nigerians made their reactions to the video loud and called out the Oba of Lagos for being "rude" to the Ooni who is believed to be a more superior monarch.

Speaking through one of his white cap chiefs, Lateef Aderibigbe Ajose, the Lagos Monarch said he didn’t ignore the Ooni of Ife at the public function as being interpreted by many Nigerians.

Lateef who spoke to the press at the palace of the Oba of Lagos, explained that the manner in which the Oba greeted the Ooni is the culturally acclaimed way of greetings by a monarch in Lagos and that the Oba of Lagos only tried to revive that culture which according to him is going extinct.

“The sign by Oba Akiolu signifies, ‘inu mi, inu e’, the culture of greeting in Lagos. If Oba Akiolu wanted to ignore, he would have simply turned his face away from the Ooni. There is no misunderstanding between the two highly revered Monarchs in Yoruba Land. Oba Akiolu was well represented at the coronation of Ooni of Ife, which attested to the fact that he does not disregard the office of Ooni Adeyeye. There is no sentiment in the culture of Lagos. As we met it that is the way we are doing it. Kabiesi Oba Akiolu is trying to bring back the old pattern, the old culture we have left behind.

What happened that day was wrongly speculated by the social media to disrupt peace and order and misinterpret Oba Akiolu’s action. We just want to appeal to the social media to stop spreading wrong information. They should try and understand the reason behind every action carried out most especially by traditional rulers. Yoruba has a very rich culture. There is no quarrel between the Oba of Lagos and Ooni of Ife” he said

Source: http://www.rapportnaija.com/2017/04/i-did-not-snub-ooni-of-ife-at-public.html

Re: “I Didn’t Snub Ooni Of Ife At A Public Function, It Is Culture” - Oba Of Lagos by HungerBAD: 1:49pm On Apr 28, 2017
And this is his best explanation ?

The Oba of Lagos is even dumber than i thought.

Lost respect for him the day he disrespected the Ooni,who has only shown humility,respect and grace since crowned the Ooni.

3 Likes

Re: “I Didn’t Snub Ooni Of Ife At A Public Function, It Is Culture” - Oba Of Lagos by Nobody: 1:56pm On Apr 28, 2017
I hear say na because Oni of Ife no carry am join body go London him dey vex for.
Re: “I Didn’t Snub Ooni Of Ife At A Public Function, It Is Culture” - Oba Of Lagos by tunderay(m): 7:50pm On Apr 28, 2017
modelmike7:
I hear say na because Oni of Ife no carry am join body go London him dey vex for.
is this a joke or something? Even though the Oba acted like a child, this reason of yours is too kindergarten, except if you are been sarcastic.

(1) (Reply)

Reasons I Crowned 21 Ibadan Obas Despite Dissenting Voicesۥ Ajimobi / You Are Wearing Fake Crowns- Olubadan Tells 21 Newly Crowned Kings Of Ibadan / Proof And History To Show Ijaws Are Tenants In Benin Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.