Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,625 members, 7,941,407 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 06:19 AM

5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone (18383 Views)

The Best Way To Avoid Phone Thieves From Gaining Access To Your Account / 5 Smart Safety Tips to protect your Kids Online / 5 Smart Phones With Best Cameras In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by emekatimsu(m): 9:14am On Apr 30, 2017
did I hear you well say insurance?
Or maybe you meant African insurance via Baba.
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by sunshineV(f): 9:31am On Apr 30, 2017
adriel7:
Lolz.. Report to Nigerian Police? grin

Nigerian police way dey drink alomo 24/7

ur phone yaff go
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Lemmy123(m): 10:20am On Apr 30, 2017
Op is obviously from America grin
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Nobody: 10:22am On Apr 30, 2017
I will never forget the day my Bf forgot his iPhone 6s Plus inside keke....He tried using my iPhone to trace the location of his phone but he couldn't remember his password. we called the number many times until it got switched off. people just told us to forget about it. I was more pained than him at the loss. I kept dialing the number until the phone started ringing again, long story short, a man picked it up and said I should calm down that the phone will be returned to me, he asked for my location and I told him. After 30 mins a vehicle parked in front of where we stood, a group of Aboki alighted including the boy keke driver that dropped us earlier. One of them who was obviously their leader ran confirmation that the phone belongs to my Bf, at the end , it was handed to us but not without a 'thank you seed' . We gave the keke guy 10k and ever since that incident, my respect for the Hausa people as regards honesty has sky rocketed
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by vicardino(m): 11:48am On Apr 30, 2017
I've reported u to naija police since u vanished into thin air,,, dem never find u, na one yeye phone dem go launch manhunt for? Not only manhunt, nah womanhunt dem go launch. Anyways, e never do make u come back? Huh? U go say u no who I be now o. Denial 101
adriel7:
Lolz.. Report to Nigerian Police? grin
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by kmaxx(m): 11:49am On Apr 30, 2017
Oluwasaeon:
Boss she isn't tech savvy, so I did all on the phone. I don't think I set it up for her, worst thing, the Privacy shi didn't allow fingerprint. I'm not sure I did

You tried switching sim.

Oya put back the previous sim and try re-booting the phone.

I once had a software/App like that... I dare not change sim. Else, na multiple messages I will keep getting abt my stolen phone. I de-activated the feature sha. That was on HTC not Hot S.

Try switching 2d previous sim.
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by klassykute(m): 11:50am On Apr 30, 2017
NnamdiiKanu:

Story

Lock your phone ?? Hold the down volume button and the power button at the same time, it will break everything in that phone and reset it to a factory default

In the USA, you can buy an iPhone 7 for $50 and be paying a monthly fee for it till you complete the $800 original price, you can't use the phone on another network and if you stop paying for the phone, it will be useless, people do unlock it, stop the monthly payments and start using other networks on it

Tell this story to bus drivers in ogun state

I hail o
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Oluwasaeon(m): 11:50am On Apr 30, 2017
kmaxx:

You tried switching sim.

Oya put back the previous sim and try re-booting the phone.

I once had a software/App like that... I dare not change sim. Else, na multiple messages I will keep getting abt my stolen phone. I de-activated the feature sha. That was on HTC not Hot S.

Try switching 2d previous sim.
Bros na same thing, the phone no ON rara
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Realist2: 12:01pm On Apr 30, 2017
KingLennon:
Always write down your IMEI number which is a 15 digit number. Once your phone is stolen, with the IMEI number you can block your sim card. Go to your bank and change your phone number too

How and how?
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by 0ntruth: 12:09pm On Apr 30, 2017
NnamdiiKanu:

Story

Lock your phone ?? Hold the down volume button and the power button at the same time, it will break everything in that phone and reset it to a factory default

In the USA, you can buy an iPhone 7 for $50 and be paying a monthly fee for it till you complete the $800 original price, you can't use the phone on another network and if you stop paying for the phone, it will be useless, people do unlock it, stop the monthly payments and start using other networks on it

Tell this story to bus drivers in ogun state

Down button and power button to break everything? Even your sim lock ? I don't believe you on this.

Besides my fear about losing my phone is the contents on the phone,ones the thief flash the phone I believe most things will wipe out of the phone.
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Lovexme(m): 12:29pm On Apr 30, 2017
Mckandre:
That's why I like Xiaomi phones, once a pson doesn't know ur Mi account pin,he can't operate the phone despite even if he flashes the phone,brick and reset, smash and couple it back. Once u can't enter the pin during bootup, the phone is good as vegetable. grin

I concur. One reason I'm not leaving Xiaomi.
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by mu2sa2: 12:34pm On Apr 30, 2017
PapiSmith:
Bros, if your phone got stolen in Nigeria, just forget about it and start contributing money for another one
Absolutely! When a stolen phone is dismantled and the parts sold piecemeal, that's the end of that phone. Sometimes even if the phone is located getting it back may be difficult. I know of a case where a stolen bb was tracked to a federal poly but the owner refused to go for the phone, because she was fearful that the person with the phone might be a cultist.
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by NarnieSnyper(m): 12:44pm On Apr 30, 2017
worworgirl:
I will never forget the day my Bf forgot his iPhone 6s Plus inside keke....He tried using my iPhone to trace the location of his phone but he couldn't remember his password. we called the number many times until it got switched off. people just told us to forget about it. I was more pained than him at the loss. I kept dialing the number until the phone started ringing again, long story short, a man picked it up and said I should calm down that the phone will be returned to me, he asked for my location and I told him. After 30 mins a vehicle parked in front of where we stood, a group of Aboki alighted including the boy keke driver that dropped us earlier. One of them who was obviously their leader ran confirmation that the phone belongs to my Bf, at the end , it was handed to us but not without a 'thank you seed' . We gave the keke guy 10k and ever since that incident, my respect for the Hausa people as regards honesty has sky rocket.

The security level in Apple products are very high. It's almost impossible to bypass it.
My best guess is that they were unable to unlock it or they couldn't find a buyer.
They had no choice but to return it and maybe get a lil' something in return. Don't have any respect for 'em yet.

1 Like

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Nobody: 12:46pm On Apr 30, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

The security level in iphone is very high. It almost impossible to unlock it.
My best guess is that they were unable to unlock it or they couldn't find a buyer.
They had no choice but to return it and maybe get a lil' something in return. Don't have any respect for 'em yet.
No, they returned it same night we lost it.
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 30, 2017
mehn android phones arent so secure then
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Mrteju: 2:36pm On Apr 30, 2017
Oluwasaeon:
I tried switching SIMS on my gf's HOT S recently, during the process, the phone displayed a Privacy Protection Password bla bla... I ignored cos I never remembered setting it up for her,the phone then sent about 5 messages to my own phone automatically saying the phone had been stolen. After inserting the SIM, the Privacy shit still wouldn't leave the screen, I restarted, same thing, powered off the phone and since then the phone no gree come up again. The phone believed it was stolen but I dey beg d phone say na me buy am na,dakun. Don't know what to do, how can I steal the phone I bought. Just tryna follow up on what op said, abeg if anyone knows what I can do. Thanks and Happy Sunday

This is an anti theft feature on android phones. It can not be wiped or bypassed even if you flash the phone. It will always take effect whenever the original sim(used in setting it up) is changed on the phone.
U can follow the following instructions to unlock the phone:
1. Insert the owner's sim into the phone
2. From the sim that received the 5 messages, send #mima# (as an SMS) to the owner's number. You will receive the pin to unlock the phone which will be automatically sent from the owner's number to you.
Make sure you have a balance that can send SMS on the owner's sim.

1 Like

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by kmaxx(m): 2:53pm On Apr 30, 2017
Oluwasaeon:

Bros na same thing, the phone no ON rara

Na wa oh! Maybe u go carry am back 2 SLOT xplain 2dem. They might profer solution or even refer u 2 GSM boyz.
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Eeazu: 3:58pm On Apr 30, 2017
I lost my phone recently and I don't want to have that experience again

2 Likes

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by TechPanda(m): 4:31pm On Apr 30, 2017
ztanleechima:
The last option says report to the police, WHICH POLICE
don't forget, you will write statement. hahahahah

1 Like

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by macheteros: 5:09pm On Apr 30, 2017
babaghost:
You have lost a phone to thieves before. The experience is very bitter. Annoyingly, the phone will disappear without your knowledge. After the phone has grown wings, that is it and many of us scarcely do anything about it. We just move on. Meanwhile, the phone thief is confidently using your phone calling your friends and demanding for money. Many have fallen victim to this theft. In line with this, jumia travel, the leading online travel agency gathers 5 ways to stop thieves from using your mobile phone.

Block the SIM card

Most times, the SIM card is the first thing thieves get rid of when they steal your phone. Others do not bother to remove it but they won’t pick your calls. Since, you are using your phone to perform all sorts of transactions, you should contact your service provider immediately to block it.

Lock it

You can simply setup a password that will prevent others from using your phone. The code will be activated when an unauthorised person accesses it. In some cases, when you lock it, it will render the phone completely unusable.

Use your phone’s built-in features

There are phone features that you can activate to prepare your phone for any theft. On Android phones, you can use the Android Device Manger. You can access the manager online and it will help you locate your phone. On iOS, you have to set up find my phone feature. You can use it to find, text and wipe your device. You can do all these when the phone is switched on.

Insure your phone

For Nigerians who use expensive phones, they can insure it. It will be replaced by the insurance firm. You don’t need to worry about your device being stolen. But that doesn’t mean you should be careless.

Report to the police

You can also make a report to the police. They can help you launch a manhunt to get back your phone.

BROS YOU CANT INSURE YOUR PHONE IN MOST INSURANCE COMPANIES IN NIGERIA. TRUST ME I HAVE TRIED.
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by lebete3000: 6:09pm On Apr 30, 2017
babaghost:
You have lost a phone to thieves before. The experience is very bitter. Annoyingly, the phone will disappear without your knowledge. After the phone has grown wings, that is it and many of us scarcely do anything about it. We just move on. Meanwhile, the phone thief is confidently using your phone calling your friends and demanding for money. Many have fallen victim to this theft. In line with this, jumia travel, the leading online travel agency gathers 5 ways to stop thieves from using your mobile phone.

Block the SIM card

Most times, the SIM card is the first thing thieves get rid of when they steal your phone. Others do not bother to remove it but they won’t pick your calls. Since, you are using your phone to perform all sorts of transactions, you should contact your service provider immediately to block it.

Lock it

You can simply setup a password that will prevent others from using your phone. The code will be activated when an unauthorised person accesses it. In some cases, when you lock it, it will render the phone completely unusable.

Use your phone’s built-in features

There are phone features that you can activate to prepare your phone for any theft. On Android phones, you can use the Android Device Manger. You can access the manager online and it will help you locate your phone. On iOS, you have to set up find my phone feature. You can use it to find, text and wipe your device. You can do all these when the phone is switched on.

Insure your phone

For Nigerians who use expensive phones, they can insure it. It will be replaced by the insurance firm. You don’t need to worry about your device being stolen. But that doesn’t mean you should be careless.

Report to the police

You can also make a report to the police. They can help you launch a manhunt to get back your phone.

Abeg where dem dey take insure phone again oh...
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by ztanleechima(m): 6:16pm On Apr 30, 2017
TechPanda:

don't forget, you will write statement. hahahahah
you can say that again. I even forgot that part. Police tire me.
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by number5(m): 6:56pm On Apr 30, 2017
Oluwasaeon:
Bro very funny, all Google said was try a hard reset. The phone no even gree hard reset. I know it's def software not hardware, thinking about taking it back to Slot but it was my fault na

Ogbeni no try am ooh..

Dose alaye boys for slot go chase u away like who steal garri grin
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Neckfort(m): 7:05pm On Apr 30, 2017
Oluwasaeon:
I tried switching SIMS on my gf's HOT S recently, during the process, the phone displayed a Privacy Protection Password bla bla... I ignored cos I never remembered setting it up for her,the phone then sent about 5 messages to my own phone automatically saying the phone had been stolen. After inserting the SIM, the Privacy shit still wouldn't leave the screen, I restarted, same thing, powered off the phone and since then the phone no gree come up again. The phone believed it was stolen but I dey beg d phone say na me buy am na,dakun. Don't know what to do, how can I steal the phone I bought. Just tryna follow up on what op said, abeg if anyone knows what I can do. Thanks and Happy Sunday
its easy nah

1 Like

Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by chrisseun(m): 9:08pm On Apr 30, 2017
emekatimsu:
did I hear you well say insurance?

Or maybe you meant African insurance via Baba.
abeg u fit link me to any baba
my fine got stolen two weeks ago at a youth camp meeting at iseyin and I stay at Ib. my head just dey turn as I dey read this one's post
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by chrisseun(m): 9:17pm On Apr 30, 2017
Eeazu:
I lost my phone recently and I don't want to have that experience again
same,two weeks ago
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by gameboyo: 9:29pm On Apr 30, 2017
Mckandre:
That's why I like Xiaomi phones, once a pson doesn't know ur Mi account pin,he can't operate the phone despite even if he flashes the phone,brick and reset, smash and couple it back. Once u can't enter the pin during bootup, the phone is good as vegetable. grin

Stories
Re: 5 Smart Ways To Stop Thieves From Using Your Mobile Phone by Oluwasaeon(m): 3:04pm On May 01, 2017
Neckfort:
its easy nah
How bro

(1) (2) (Reply)

Google Play Store Compromised By ‘hiddenads’ Malware, NCC Warns Nigerians / How Wireless Charging Works On Android Phones And How To Get It On Your Phone / Operamini 5.2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.