Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,802 members, 7,882,806 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 03:22 PM

Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? (7213 Views)

Should I Accept Or Decline This Job Offer? / This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. / How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by nenergy(m): 8:30am On May 05, 2017
delishpot:

Makes no sense. Why embarrass yourself when you can flaunt your skills and talent after which you tell them point blank that you don't find the job appealing or exciting enough for your person therefore, you would unfortunately have to decline the offer? I did that and got retained by the company to be on call as a freelancer when they need my help in specific area.
Interesting and very bold. I guess some people will rather embarrass themselves than come across as condescending.

1 Like

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by nenergy(m): 8:32am On May 05, 2017
unclezuma:
Yup...I thought it was a scam...
Were you able to confirm if it was indeed scam or not?
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by nenergy(m): 8:35am On May 05, 2017
Mckayzee:
Yes, contract job with a bank like that (don't want to mention names), Passed the interview stage, went for medicals, and was called to come for my offer letter but lied that I was leaving the country.

I knew I wouldn't feel fulfilled in anyway with the job as I needed an IT inclined job and I know all they had to offer was a behind-the-counter teller job.

Although I'm not exactly where I want yet, but I'm very much moving in that direction now, so I'm happy I did.
Inspiring story.
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by nenergy(m): 8:38am On May 05, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
yea...down at PH, a recruiting firm conducted all necessary interviews for a firm they called their client who needed engineers for their oil servicing job. After being shortlisted for the job with 1 other guy, we were taken to the 'client' and it happened to fall far below my expectations. Was a firm selling engineering service equipment to firms. Would have giving it a second thought if they do installation/commissioning and repairs; they only do procurement/supply. The MD/CEO told me in the chat that they subcontract installation/repair services to other firms if need be.
I told him what they needed were marketers and not engineers. He said he preferred using engineers as marketers as he presumed that we would understand the machines better and would be able to communicate to clients. He had a point, but so early in my career, I wasn't going to venture into marketing; unless their was something tangible in it for me.

I was still dilly-dallying until I learnt what the man was offering as salary. I told him I would be the worst sales person as I lack passion, zeal and very difficult to motivate. Told him I was new to PH and hardly knew my way around. Worse still, that I didnt know how to drive.

You needed to see the look on this man's face. He just said no problem, that he would contact the agency to send in a new name.

Na him I waka comot with a smile on my face.
Hahahaha. You shoot yourself with bazooka grin
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Nobody: 8:48am On May 05, 2017
hardbody:

I give every interview my best shot.

I was invited for an interview with fidelity Bank. While there, one telecoms company I had been engaging with invited me to come for my letter. Considering I met 19 other applicants at fidelity, i left to collect the other offer letter. The next day I got another text from fidelity again asking me to honour my interview appointment. I tried very much to shirk it but to no avail. I went home dressed up for that interview, same day I saw all the people I needed to see and saw the MD. Next day I took a day off from my employers and went to Benin for a pp. My phones were switched off. When I switched on later, text messages flooded my phone, congratulating me and asking me to come for my offer letter. Faced with both options, i consulted and chose the bank. From there my career moved on.

The telco later packed up, i had since moved from that bank to other jobs.
Good decision.
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Sezua(m): 8:54am On May 05, 2017
geedeex2:
Immediately after my service ,I got an offer in a reputable company but I knew I wanted more than an 8am to 6pm job because it will inhibit my development as a pianist cum organist .I rejected the offer .even though I didn't get paid as much as the job would have but I'm fulfilled and now into personal business .
Wanna send u a pm. As this your story sorta explains my experience
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by ladesson(m): 9:09am On May 05, 2017
Emmaesty:
A few months back I was invited for an interview with a consulting firm.

Some minutes before I entered the interview room, I got a call from another consulting firm that I had been chosen and was supposed to resume that very day(a mail was sent the day before). At that very point in time, I was happy and a bit confused.

So I entered the interview room and deliberately said things that were not conventional like not liking to multi task, can't stand being idle, so the interview will end real quick. But at the end of it all, I spent an hour plus there!!!! !!

I resumed the next day at the other consulting firm though.

they made it a must for u to wear with a capfunny.anyway,sales job/rep is one the best job in Nigeria....if u get lucky to rep a reputable company.u will definitely enjoy it.am a rep n I know exactly what am talkin about.
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Nobody: 9:16am On May 05, 2017
nenergy:

Were you able to confirm if it was indeed scam or not?

I did but that was after I'd already started another job turns out their benefits and career development packages were not too good...even for a Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by denitro(m): 9:22am On May 05, 2017
Mine is a funny one.
I responded to an ad for a Personal Assistant to an Expatiate. Only to find out the job description fits
a driver position. I am a graduate and during the interview I made up my mind that this is not for me.
The white guy seemed to be impressed even thought I tried hard to sound arrogant.
I was taken to the car park and was told I will be taken for a road test. I thought to myself, this is my
opportunity, I will drive recklessly so that he wont think of hiring me.

I drove like a mad man and after the road test I left happy with myself. A week later I got a call
telling me I am hired. (What......). The white guy told me he picked me because due to the recent
issues of kidnapping and robbery, he needs a driver who is smart and can maneuver out of any
dangerous situation.

I ended up taking the job, the pay was good and I was being by a multinational oil company.
I actually enjoyed it but after 6 month I quit. (I am a graduate for crying out loud)
smiley

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by remsonik(f): 9:34am On May 05, 2017
I attended some interview with sterling bank,during the interview we weren't told they were interviewing for a sales role. I got a mail from them two weeks later to come for my offer letter. I got the letter and it was a sales role with 40 customers in a month and 3 million naira target. I knew I wasn't going to take the offer cos even my first job offer after school was with a better pay.
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by BestySam(m): 9:48am On May 05, 2017
Libo45:
My own case is the opposite. Went for an interview for a Maintenance Tech position. Was asked what I've been doing since after graduation. Told them I v a farm. Since I'd love to retire at 40 to farming I decided to start now that I v nothing doing. They asked more questions and I was too passionate about my farm. Just dey pour am anyhow. They invited me back after some minutes and said they'v unanimously agreed that their consciences would not permit them to restrain me from following my passion- farming. I just weak. Come dey gimme plenty unwanted advice. I'm grateful today anyways

Lol

grin grin
grin grin grin
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by geedeex2(m): 9:51am On May 05, 2017
Alright
Sezua:

Wanna send u a pm. As this your story sorta explains my experience
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by delishpot: 10:24am On May 05, 2017
nenergy:

Interesting and very bold. I guess some people will rather embarrass themselves than come across as condescending.

Well, it isn't condescending, it is fact cool I think being truthful helps especially if you really believe you will not successfully pull the job due to lack of mental stimulation grin make dem see with their eyes say your brain don pass that level.

1 Like

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by damton(m): 10:29am On May 05, 2017
gbosaa:
Yes. I had a lot of opportunities to be a bus conductor with Akpuruka united busline, Ekene, Omemgbeoji transport ltd. I even rejected flight attendant jobs with BA, virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa.

I'm presently very happy being a bus conductor in a posh danfo VW bus working the Ajangbadi- mile 2 route. Less stress, more money... cool

Bros. Sorry to say,

Your case is beyond human comprehension.

This gotbme really bad grin cheesy
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by yemluck: 10:33am On May 05, 2017
This one weak me. looool

gbosaa:
Yes. I had a lot of opportunities to be a bus conductor with Akpuruka united busline, Ekene, Omemgbeoji transport ltd. I even rejected flight attendant jobs with BA, virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa.

I'm presently very happy being a bus conductor in a posh danfo VW bus working the Ajangbadi- mile 2 route. Less stress, more money... cool
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Stoicbaba(m): 10:45am On May 05, 2017
Nice and sometimes funny comments I read here...

Well, I happen to have studied one of the much sort after professional courses in Nigeria cum the world... (ain't boasting but it is true).

Finished my final exams...waited for about 5 months to be inducted into the profession... Went to Sokoto, just 3 days after induction, for interview, meant for a Mandatory 1 year training. Finished it and was shortlisted for NYSC about 2 weeks after. Finished NYSC and was invited for a job interview at Lag by a private firm(I guess I passed the interview, because I was always asked not to take another job, that the need to put finishing touches in one of their firms at Ibadan).

Well, I stayed about a month and I wasn't comfortable staying that long, as it has never happened since I finished school. I applied for an opening in State Govt owned organization and I was invited for interview. After the interview, I was I formed that they are scared to hire me, as my profession is kinda "prostitution". I told them, they shouldn't be scared. On 26th Sept, I had a mail, for me to come and collect my appointment letter and start work on 2nd Oct... Well, my long throat was for the private firm, as I saw my growth in knowledge there. Besides, state govt and their pay wahala...

I refused to go for the letter, while I called the private firm to inform them of the situation and my preference...This made the HRM to plead and assure me that I have the job and I should give them 3 weeks.
Having waited and calling for me to come and collect the letter for 4 days...I decided to mail back and reject the offer from the govt organisation. The man called and reminded me that he once said that I will not stay...I politely responded that it was better I reject the offer than accept it and later leave in few days or weeks. (he wasn't too happy but he liked my sincerity). He is a good friend till date and one of my very few Professor friends.

30th Oct, I was called to come to Lag, collect my appointment letter and resume on 5th Nov...The funny thing is, as I was trying to familiarise and enjoy the work there, I had another offer 2 weeks after starting, from a Fed Govt Parastatal in PH and it was a better offer because of job security and closer home, not necessarily the pay.

It wasn't easy, as I was battling how to get a soft landing, and not necessarily making this private firm feel bad. I searched for a replacement for them and had to form a lie on why I can no longer work for them... (don't ask what the lie was).

Sorry for the long epistle sad Yeah, I may have kinda rejected few jobs.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by nenergy(m): 10:48am On May 05, 2017
delishpot:

Well, it isn't condescending, it is fact cool I think being truthful helps especially if you really believe you will not successfully pull the job due to lack of mental stimulation grin make dem see with their eyes say your brain don pass that level.
You're right. You come out looking stronger.
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by tojahh(m): 10:52am On May 05, 2017
Please I need a job. HND Computer Science. Really in dire need of a job in Port Harcourt or owerri. Am very proficient in Ms Office, very analytical, vast knowledge in customer service position, experienced in data entry and front desk management.
calls/WhatsApp.
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Nobody: 11:59am On May 05, 2017
yh happened to me...got a job at a reputable insurance company as a sales rep on probation for 6 months meaning after 6 months I will be confirmed and my salary would be increased with salary every month and commission attached to it based on sales although still contract things... I got the job but turned it down on personal reasons due the environment and the people I was working with I just can't work with them.... was I stupid cuz I still feel bad for leaving without even staying up to a month to collect my salary spent two weeks and few days and left...my spirit was not with the job then..... now am unemployed and still searching
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by hardbody: 12:33pm On May 05, 2017
Libo45:
My own case is the opposite. Went for an interview for a Maintenance Tech position. Was asked what I've been doing since after graduation. Told them I v a farm. Since I'd love to retire at 40 to farming I decided to start now that I v nothing doing. They asked more questions and I was too passionate about my farm. Just dey pour am anyhow. They invited me back after some minutes and said they'v unanimously agreed that their consciences would not permit them to restrain me from following my passion- farming. I just weak. Come dey gimme plenty unwanted advice. I'm grateful today anyways

Their papa. Did they not know you knew you had that farm before you applied and they invited you? Wicked people.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by hardbody: 12:34pm On May 05, 2017
sprintscr7:
yh happened to me...got a job at a reputable insurance company as a sales rep on probation for 6 months meaning after 6 months I will be confirmed and my salary would be increased with salary every month and commission attached to it based on sales although still contract things... I got the job but turned it down on personal reasons due the environment and the people I was working with I just can't work with them.... was I stupid cuz I still feel bad for leaving without even staying up to a month to collect my salary spent two weeks and few days and left...my spirit was not with the job then..... now am unemployed and still searching

Search hard and well. Inability to hold down a job is a problem on its own. You could have held down that job and used it as a reference point to get another. I wish you well.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by donborg(m): 4:52pm On May 05, 2017
pls i need a job. i am an industrial chemistry graduate since 2012. phone no 08063239581
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Mckayzee(m): 7:50am On May 06, 2017
Stoicbaba:
Nice and sometimes funny comments I read here...

Well, I happen to have studied one of the much sort after professional courses in Nigeria cum the world... (ain't boasting but it is true).

what course might that be sir.
would really love to know
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Stoicbaba(m): 7:15pm On May 06, 2017
Mckayzee:

MEDICAL RADIOGRAPHY Sir smiley
what course might that be sir. would really love to know
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by apollo13(m): 11:38am On May 07, 2017
gbosaa:

Are u for real? Lolz
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Intelligentdude(m): 3:24pm On May 07, 2017
Emmaesty:
A few months back I was invited for an interview with a consulting firm.

Some minutes before I entered the interview room, I got a call from another consulting firm that I had been chosen and was supposed to resume that very day(a mail was sent the day before). At that very point in time, I was happy and a bit confused.

So I entered the interview room and deliberately said things that were not conventional like not liking to multi task, can't stand being idle, so the interview will end real quick. But at the end of it all, I spent an hour plus there!!!! !!

I resumed the next day at the other consulting firm though.
Lol,quite funny.
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Mbamifeanyi(m): 7:20pm On May 07, 2017
Very funny comments here

I was invited by a reputable firm located in Lagos .I passed d interview and was given d Job..the pay was so so good..worked with them for few months and decided to leave(Dont ask why).several questions were asked y I want to leave. The management even promised to increase my pay.
My mind was made up....miss the job thoo

But now a CEO...

(1) (2) (Reply)

N-power Bvn Issue Solution / Shoprite Is Recruiting For Upcoming Sangotedo,ajah Axis. / How To Apply For A Major FMCG Company Recruitment (2 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.