Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,748 members, 7,875,867 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:03 AM

How The Apostles Died - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How The Apostles Died (536 Views)

Holy Apostles Church Members Protest Against Closure Of Their Church By Police / 3 Lessons Christians can Learn From The Life Of The Apostles / How The 12 Apostles Of Jesus Died (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The Apostles Died by Aphorism(m): 4:03pm On May 02, 2017
I was surfing through the INTERNET and I saw this, so I decided to share, been a Christian is not by Mouth oooo, we should always be on the go for Jesus!
HOW THE APOSTLES DIED.
1. Matthew
Suffered martyrdom in Ethiopia, Killed by a sword
wound.
2. Mark
Died in Alexandria, Egypt , after being dragged by
Horses through the streets until he was dead.
3. Luke
Was hanged in Greece as a result of his
tremendous Preaching to the lost.
4. John
Faced martyrdom when he was boiled in huge
Basin of boiling oil during a wave of persecution
In Rome. However, he was miraculously
delivered From death.
John was then sentenced to the mines on the
prison Island of Patmos. He wrote his prophetic
Book of Revelation on Patmos . The apostle
John was later freed and returned to serve As
Bishop of Edessa in modern Turkey . He died as
an old man, the only apostle to die peacefully
5. Peter
He was crucified upside down on an x-shaped
cross.
According to church tradition it was because he
told his tormentors that he felt unworthy to die In
the same way that Jesus Christ had died.
6. James
The leader of the church in Jerusalem , was
thrown over a hundred feet down from the
southeast pinnacle of the Temple when he
refused to deny his faith in Christ. When they
discovered that he survived the fall, his
enemies beat James to death with a fuller’s club.
* This was the same pinnacle where Satan had
taken Jesus during the Temptation.
7. James the Son of Zebedee,
was a fisherman by trade when Jesus Called him
to a lifetime of ministry. As a strong leader of
the church, James was beheaded at Jerusalem.
The Roman officer who guarded James watched
amazed as James defended his faith at his trial.
Later, the officer Walked beside James to the
place of execution. Overcome by conviction, he
declared his new faith to the judge and Knelt
beside James to accept beheading as a
Christian.
8. Bartholomew
Also known as Nathaniel Was a missionary to
Asia. He witnessed for our Lord in present day
Turkey. Bartholomew was martyred for his
preaching in Armenia where he was flayed to
death by a whip.
9. Andrew
Was crucified on an x-shaped cross in Patras,
Greece. After being whipped severely by seven
soldiers they tied his body to the cross with
cords to prolong his agony. His followers
reported that, when he was led toward the cross,
Andrew saluted it in these words: ‘I have long
desired and expected this happy hour. The cross
has been consecrated by the body of Christ
hanging on it.’ He continued to preach to his
tormentors For two days until he expired.
10. Thomas
Was stabbed with a spear in India during one of
his missionary trips to establish the church in the
Sub-continent.
11. Jude
Was killed with arrows when he refused to deny
his faith in Christ.
12. Matthias
The apostle chosen to replace the traitor Judas
Iscariot, was stoned and then beheaded.
13. Paul
Was tortured and then beheaded by the evil
Emperor Nero at Rome in A.D. 67. Paul endured
a lengthy imprisonment, which allowed him to
write his many
epistles to the churches he had formed
throughout the Roman Empire. These letters,
which taught many of the foundational Doctrines
of Christianity, form a large portion of the New
Testament.
Perhaps this is a reminder to us that our
sufferings here are indeed minor compared to
the intense persecution and cold cruelty faced
by the apostles and disciples during their times
For the sake of the Faith. And ye shall be hated
of all men for my name’s sake: But he that
endureth to the end shall be saved.
Pass on to encourage other Christians
Why Do we feel sleepy in Prayer,
But stay awake through a 3 hour movie?
Why are we so bored when we look at the HOLY
BOOK,
But find it easy to read other books?
Why is it so easy to ignore a msg about God?
Read more @ www.aphorismcity.
Re: How The Apostles Died by StephenJobs(m): 4:05pm On May 02, 2017
Quit sorrowful......they lay the foundation for us
Re: How The Apostles Died by zionmade(m): 4:18pm On May 02, 2017
Their death is one of d strongest evidence that Jesus Christ is alive. I wonder how some people born with brains would think dis great men would choose to suffer and die cruelly because of a lie.
Thank God am a Christian.
Re: How The Apostles Died by Nobody: 7:14pm On May 02, 2017
zionmade:
Their death is one of d strongest evidence that Jesus Christ is alive. I wonder how some people born with brains would think dis great men would choose to suffer and die cruelly because of a lie.
Thank God am a Christian.

Jihadists also die for their faith, and even do theirs more committedly and willingly. But does their death prove that the Quran is the word of God and Mohammed was his prophet? If you don't believe the Quran is the word of God on the basis that men would choose to die because of their Islamic faith, going by your logic, it's safe say that you don't have a brain.

1 Like

Re: How The Apostles Died by zionmade(m): 8:18pm On May 02, 2017
Stewie101:

Jihadists also die for their faith, and even do theirs more committedly and willingly. But does their death prove that the Quran is the word of God and Mohammed was his prophet? If you don't believe the Quran is the word of God on the basis that men would choose to die because of their Islamic faith, going by your logic, it's safe say that you don't have a brain.
D difference is clear the Muslims fought battles and dies in suicide missions to conquer territories of which they would physically benefit in loots, women etc
But d apostles never defended themselves physically, d only thing they had to gain was wat Jesus promised dem. Wen persecuted they never retaliated, on one ocassion they were celebrating that they were counted worthy to be beaten and flogged for d name of Jesus. Only a blind man cant spot d difference

1 Like

Re: How The Apostles Died by Nobody: 8:47pm On May 02, 2017
zionmade:

D difference is clear the Muslims fought battles and dies in suicide missions to conquer territories of which they would physically benefit in loots, women etc
But d apostles never defended themselves physically, d only thing they had to gain was wat Jesus promised dem. Wen persecuted they never retaliated, on one ocassion they were celebrating that they were counted worthy to be beaten and flogged for d name of Jesus. Only a blind man cant spot d difference

I actually don't see the difference. The common denominator in both cases is that these people are prepared to die for what they believe in. Certainly if Islamists or Jihadists faced the same constraints the apostles faced in the ancient roman empire, and their doctrine instructed them against violence, they'd still willingly suffer the same fate as the apostles.

I think you are failing to see the lesson here. The lesson is the illustration of how powerful and dangerous a belief can be. A belief, if held on to passionately and tenaciously, never mind being untenable, can literally drive a person to do seemingly bizarre things like suicide bombing and wilful death. These actions don't in anyway confirm the validity of their beliefs. It just shows how credulous these people are.
Re: How The Apostles Died by zionmade(m): 8:58pm On May 02, 2017
Stewie101:

I actually don't see the difference. The common denominator in both cases is that these people are prepared to die for what they believe in. Certainly if Islamists or Jihadists faced the same constraints the apostles faced in the ancient roman empire, and their doctrine instructed them against violence, they'd still willingly suffer the same fate as the apostles.

I think you are failing to see the lesson here. The lesson is the illustration of how powerful and dangerous a belief can be. A belief, if held on to passionately and tenaciously, never mind being untenable, can literally drive a person to do seemingly bizarre things like suicide bombing and wilful death. These actions don't in anyway confirm the validity of their beliefs. It just shows how credulous these people are.
Can u mention people from other religion that willingly died d way d apostles did. And on their point of death asked God to forgive their killers??
I need a very similar example and stop trying to use some kind of baseless inference. U call Muslims who kill others and in d process get killed. Dats foolishness to compare dem with people who didn't ever lift a hands in defense or attack

(1) (Reply)

Chris Okotie Blasts T.B Joshua-you Are A Hypocrite, Seeking Sympathy. / The Leverage Daily Devotional / Lagos Pastor In An Elated Mood As He Rides In A Hummer Jeep For An Event. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.