Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,858 members, 7,909,219 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 08:07 PM

Never Resign From Current Job Without A Written Offer Letter From New Employer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Never Resign From Current Job Without A Written Offer Letter From New Employer (541 Views)

How I Lost My Dream Job Without Collecting 1 Month Salary - Meme Collection / Please Help: I Have Issues With My New Employer / Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Never Resign From Current Job Without A Written Offer Letter From New Employer by cyndyzuriks(f): 8:48am On May 04, 2017
I have been on the job search for a long time. Had several interviews and tests, and finally, I got an offer to start a new job in 2 weeks. However, I’m yet to receive a written offer letter from the company due to some last minute changes. Should I go ahead and resign from my current job, since I already accepted the job offer verbally and the offer seems solid enough? This question was raised by a jobseeker just recently.

There have been similar cases where candidates resigned from their jobs on the hint of a new offer. A typical scenario is that of an accountant who resigned without notice after he was made a verbal offer by another company. He had already gone through some documentations and medicals, only to be told a week later that he was no longer considered for the position.

It doesn’t matter how solid you think an offer is. Until you have a firm offer in hand (written), you don’t really have a job. Positions get cut at the last minute, thus never resign from your current job without receiving a formal letter of employment. If the offer falls through and your current employer is not willing to rescind your notice. What happens then? Of course! that means you will lose out on both ends.

A job offer letter is a formal written document given to a candidate selected for employment. The letter confirms the details of the offer which includes – the job description, salary, benefits, leave entitlement, and the start date of employment. Today e-mail has altered the way we write to people, letters have been replaced by e-mails. Therefore, job offer letters now come as emails and you must acknowledge receipt of the email as a formal acceptance of the position. If you have not done this, you are not yet officially employed by that company.

What should you do?

Wait until you officially receive and accept the offer before you resign.
If you are required to start at a sooner date, politely tell the new employer that you will give notice at your current job as soon you have the formal, written offer from them.

Source: Careerhubafrica blog

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Should I Let Him Know? / Career Opportunities In The Oil And Gas Sector(photo) / Short High-light About Okotete''oejoseff''emmanuel Joseph

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.