Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,655 members, 7,944,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 09:33 AM

Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute (1713 Views)

Guatemala’s President Resign Amid Corruption Allegations / Pics Of Nigerian Embassy In Malaysia (don't Cry) / Nigerian Man Sentenced To Death By Hanging In Malaysia For Drug Trafficking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Alxmyr(m): 12:30am On Jan 09, 2010
Attackers firebombed three churches in the southeast Asian nation of Malaysia overnight, assaults that come amid widespread Muslim ire over a court ruling that allowed Christians to use the word Allah as a term for God.

Malaysian news reports said no casualties have been reported, and police have promised to step up security for churches and other places of worship.

But the acts stirred unease in the diverse society -- where 60 percent of the people are Muslim, 19 percent are Buddhist, 9 percent are Christian and 6 percent are Hindu.

"We regret the irresponsible actions of certain extremist elements for the recent spate of firebombs thrown into church premises. These actions display their immaturity and intolerance toward others within a multi-racial society," the National Evangelical Christian Fellowship of Malaysia said in a statement.

The violence comes as Muslims protest a recent court ruling that allowed a Catholic newspaper to use the word "Allah" for God. Muslims believe Allah, an Arabic word, should only be used by Muslims. A stay has been placed on the order on the grounds of national interest.

Muslims took to the streets Friday to protest the use of the word by non-Muslims, and authorities such as Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak called for the matter to be resolved in court amicably and expressed hope the protests don't deteriorate.

"We should not raise the tension level in this country," he said Thursday, as quoted by Bernama, the Malaysian National News Agency.

Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin, Malaysia's head of state, on Friday called for calm and the spirit of unity, according to a Bernama report.

The three churches attacked were in the Kuala Lumpur region. They are the Metro Tabernacle Church, the Assumption Church and the Life Chapel. The attacks occurred late Thursday night and early Friday.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/01/08/malaysia.churches.attacked/index.html
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 4:05am On Jan 09, 2010
Islam is very very accepting and peaceful angry angry angry angry

The entire Western nations are seriously annoying with the liberal way of thinking. Read the fucking Quran you bastards. By constitution, Quran will be banned.
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by strangleyo: 4:10am On Jan 09, 2010
That Allah,

popular guy he is, everyone talks about him like he's hot shit.
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 4:16am On Jan 09, 2010
is there no other name for God in Arabic? That's strange.
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 4:32am On Jan 09, 2010
^^^ even stranger is why any christian would want to use the name Allah at least going by what i see on nairaland. . .
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 4:36am On Jan 09, 2010
^^ the word God isnt supposed to be exclusive to any one group of people.

However, for the sake of peace, I wonder if the Malaysian Christians shouldnt find another word in Arabic that means God, apart from Allah. Or maybe just use the Malaysian one.

You dont find it strange that a court had to order the word can be used by Christians?
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by No2Atheism(m): 4:37am On Jan 09, 2010
Alxmyr:

Attackers firebombed three churches in the southeast Asian nation of Malaysia overnight, assaults that come amid widespread Muslim ire over a court ruling that allowed Christians to use the word Allah as a term for God.

Malaysian news reports said no casualties have been reported, and police have promised to step up security for churches and other places of worship.

But the acts stirred unease in the diverse society -- where 60 percent of the people are Muslim, 19 percent are Buddhist, 9 percent are Christian and 6 percent are Hindu.

"We regret the irresponsible actions of certain extremist elements for the recent spate of firebombs thrown into church premises. These actions display their immaturity and intolerance toward others within a multi-racial society," the National Evangelical Christian Fellowship of Malaysia said in a statement.

The violence comes as Muslims protest a recent court ruling that allowed a Catholic newspaper to use the word "Allah" for God. Muslims believe Allah, an Arabic word, should only be used by Muslims. A stay has been placed on the order on the grounds of national interest.

Muslims took to the streets Friday to protest the use of the word by non-Muslims, and authorities such as Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak called for the matter to be resolved in court amicably and expressed hope the protests don't deteriorate.

"We should not raise the tension level in this country," he said Thursday, as quoted by Bernama, the Malaysian National News Agency.

Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin, Malaysia's head of state, on Friday called for calm and the spirit of unity, according to a Bernama report.

The three churches attacked were in the Kuala Lumpur region. They are the Metro Tabernacle Church, the Assumption Church and the Life Chapel. The attacks occurred late Thursday night and early Friday.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/01/08/malaysia.churches.attacked/index.html

We been saying that the Allah in the Quran is not the same person as the The Creator . . . in the bible. Here again is another evidence showing what some of us have been trying to say. . .  undecided

No i don't support catholics either but the issue here is that Allah is simply an Arabian moon god that was brought to prominence by Mohammed . . .
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by paddylo1(m): 4:39am On Jan 09, 2010
is there no other name for God in Arabic? That's strange

malaysians dont speak arabic
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by No2Atheism(m): 4:39am On Jan 09, 2010
tpia.:

^^ the word God isnt supposed to be exclusive to any one group of people.

However, for the sake of peace, I wonder if the Malaysian Christians shouldnt find another word in Arabic that means God, apart from Allah. Or maybe just use the Malaysian one.

You dont find it strange that a court had to order the word can be used by Christians?

An additional evidence that Arabs and muslims are just trying to cover up the lies about allah is revealed from the fact that: mohammed's father's name is "Abdallah" meaning servant of Allah

Guess what Allah was worshipped as a moon god . . . before the coming of mohammed hence all Arabs and muslims have just done is to re-brand "Allah" into a so called supreme deity . . .
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 4:40am On Jan 09, 2010
paddy_lo:

malaysians dont speak arabic

the Muslim ones seem to
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 4:42am On Jan 09, 2010
No2Atheism:

An additional evidence that Arabs and muslims are just trying to cover up the lies about allah is revealed from the fact that: mohammed's father's name is "Abdallah" meaning servant of Allah

Guess what Allah was worshipped as a moon god . . . before the coming of mohammed hence all Arabs and muslims have just done is to re-brand "Allah" into a so called supreme deity . . .

now this sounds more like what i would expect from a christian

all one hears on nairaland from our self styled analysts of Islam is - Allah is a demon/idol/moon god etc, so its very strange that a court would rule that Christians can use the name Allah as God . it would imply that they are agitating for it. oh well, different strokes i guess . .
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 4:45am On Jan 09, 2010
people look for any excuse to kill each other.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1952497,00.html

oyb:

now this sounds more like what i would expect from a christian

every human being cant be the same and neither can everyone in the world be muslim.

You should ask yourself why God created people differently instead of making them clones of one another.
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 4:48am On Jan 09, 2010
^^^^^

guess i shld modify - what i should expect from a nairaland christian troll
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 4:50am On Jan 09, 2010
oyb:

^^^^^

call me whatever name you like- you're about to become a jihadist religious fanatic, I can see. Assuming you arent one already.

Nothing new under the sun- many have gone before you and many will come after you.
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 4:52am On Jan 09, 2010
After Thursday's court ruling in favor of the church, moderate Muslims and non-Muslim Malaysians took to the country's various online-based publications to defend the right of Christians to use the term Allah. In some cases, political parties and even families are split over the issue. Marina Mahathir, a daughter of Dr. Mahathir and sister of Mr. Mukhriz, posted a lengthy article on Malaysian Insider, a Web site, saying that confident Muslims have no need to feel threatened by the High Court's ruling.

"A confident Muslim will not walk into a church, hear a liturgy in Malay or Arabic where they use the word 'Allah' and then think that he or she is in a mosque. A confident Muslim knows the difference," Ms. Marina wrote.

The Malaysian Chinese Association, a member of the Malay-led National Front coalition government, said in a statement Monday that it supported the court's ruling in favor of the church. "No group should claim exclusive ownership of 'Allah' as it is not a patented copyright of any ethnic group," party spokesman Gan Ping Sieu said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126259010522914545.html

I cant believe people would fight a war over something as simple as a word for God?
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 4:54am On Jan 09, 2010
A church and Christian newspaper in Malaysia are suing the government after it decreed that the word "Allah" can only be used by Muslims.

In the Malay language "Allah" is used to mean any god, and Christians say they have used the term for centuries.

Opponents of the ban say it is unconstitutional and unreasonable.

It is the latest in a series of religious rows in largely Muslim Malaysia, where minority groups claim their rights are being eroded.

A spokesman for the Herald, the newspaper of the Catholic Church in Malaysia, said a legal suit was filed after they received repeated official warnings that the newspaper could have its licence revoked if it continued to use the word.

"We are of the view that we have the right to use the word 'Allah'," said editor Rev Lawrence Andrew.

'Unlawful'

The Sabah Evangelical Church of Borneo has also taken legal action after a government ministry moved to ban the import of religious children's books containing the word.

In a statement given to Reuters news agency, the church said the translation of the bible in which the word Allah appears has been used by Christians since the earliest days of the church.

There has been no official government comment but parliamentary opposition leader Lim Kit Siang said the decision to ban the word for non-Muslims on security grounds was "unlawful".

"The term 'Allah' was used to refer to God by Arabic-speaking Christians before Arabic-speaking Muslims existed," he said.

Religious issues are highly sensitive in Malaysia, which has a 60% Muslim population.

Religious freedom is guaranteed in the law but minority groups have accused the Muslim Malay majority of trying to increase the role of Islam in the country

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/mobile/asia-pacific/7163391.stm

Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 4:58am On Jan 09, 2010
tpia.:

call me whatever name you like- you're about to become a jihadist religious fanatic, I can see. Assuming you arent one already.

Nothing new under the sun- many have gone before you and many will come after you.

stop this ridiculous persecution complex/i must fight with everyone.
anyone else would realise i'm referring to no2athiesm
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 5:00am On Jan 09, 2010
oyb:

are you ok?

tpia.:

people look for any excuse to kill each other.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1952497,00.html

every human being cant be the same and neither can everyone in the world be muslim.

You should ask yourself why God created people differently instead of making them clones of one another.

oyb:

^^^^^

what does ^^^^^ mean?
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by No2Atheism(m): 5:00am On Jan 09, 2010
oyb:

No2Atheism . . . aka. . . no retreat no surrender against Islam . . .
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 5:02am On Jan 09, 2010
at this rate, people should hurry up and develop some planets for human habitation, because we clearly cant get along but would rather kill each other for whatever senseless reason.

If other planets can support life, then dice should be rolled, and half of the earth can move elsewhere.
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 5:05am On Jan 09, 2010
No2Atheism:

No2Atheism . . . aka. . . no retreat no surrender against Islam . . .

A church and Christian newspaper in Malaysia are suing the government after it decreed that the word "Allah" can only be used by Muslims.

In the Malay language "Allah" is used to mean any god, and Christians say they have used the term for centuries.

Opponents of the ban say it is unconstitutional and unreasonable.

It is the latest in a series of religious rows in largely Muslim Malaysia, where minority groups claim their rights are being eroded.

A spokesman for the Herald, the newspaper of the Catholic Church in Malaysia, said a legal suit was filed after they received repeated official warnings that the newspaper could have its licence revoked if it continued to use the word.

"We are of the view that we have the right to use the word 'Allah'," said editor Rev Lawrence Andrew.

'Unlawful'

The Sabah Evangelical Church of Borneo has also taken legal action after a government ministry moved to ban the import of religious children's books containing the word.

In a statement given to Reuters news agency, the church said the translation of the bible in which the word Allah appears has been used by Christians since the earliest days of the church.

There has been no official government comment but parliamentary opposition leader Lim Kit Siang said the decision to ban the word for non-Muslims on security grounds was "unlawful".

"The term 'Allah' was used to refer to God by Arabic-speaking Christians before Arabic-speaking Muslims existed
," he said.

Religious issues are highly sensitive in Malaysia, which has a 60% Muslim population.

Religious freedom is guaranteed in the law but minority groups have accused the Muslim Malay majority of trying to increase the role of Islam in the country

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/mobile/asia-pacific/7163391.stm

hey troll/conspiracy theory man - hope you're checking the above out - kind of throws a spanner in your moon god fables, doesn't it  cheesy cheesy

or perhaps you will take refuge in the usual - they are not christians  grin grin
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 5:05am On Jan 09, 2010
Must muslims resort to violence?
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by No2Atheism(m): 5:09am On Jan 09, 2010
oyb:

hey troll/conspiracy theory man - hope you're checking the above out - kind of throws a spanner in your moon god fables, doesn't it  cheesy cheesy

or perhaps you will take refuge in the usual - they are not christians  grin grin

One phrase to counter the "Muslim Re-branding"

Mohammed's Father . . . .Abdallah "Servant of Allah" when Allah was still an Arab "Moon God" . . .
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 5:14am On Jan 09, 2010
when all else fails, we an trust our residet troll to revert o repeat mode

mr moon god/ rebranding please explain o us how it is that Christians (perhaps the malays are fake Christians cheesy cheesy cheesy worshipping a moon god cheesy cheesy cheesy) have been using the name Allah

is that too hard for you to do?

or are, like so many of your forbears aware of this and choosing to ignore it because it does not fit in with your agenda

cherry picker

oya mr self proclaimed  geek  tongue explain it o us

preferably in with your usual one line each and . . . s
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by No2Atheism(m): 5:15am On Jan 09, 2010
oyb:

when all else fails, we an trust our residet troll to revert o repeat mode

mr moon god/ rebranding please explain o us how it is that Christians have been using the name Allah

is that too hard for you to do?

or are, like so many of your forbears aware of this and choosing to ignore it because it does not fit in with your agenda

cherry picker

oya mr self proclaimed geek tongue explain it o us

preferably in with your usual one line each and . . . s

Mr Rebranding . . . please explain to us how Mohammed's Father was already a servant of "Allah" (aka who was an Arabian Moon God) . . . even before Mohammed alleged got the revealations from Allah . . .
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 5:18am On Jan 09, 2010
enlightenment is the key to understanding and culture

El

Al

Ol

and lord knows what else.

All prefixes for God.

why should one group claim a monopoly?

Thank God I'm not God sha.
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 5:22am On Jan 09, 2010
No2Atheism:

Mr Rebranding . . . please explain to us how Mohammed's Father was already a servant of "Allah" (aka who was an Arabian Moon God) . . . even before Mohammed alleged got the revealations from Allah . . .

what a slow poke -

if you actually read the Quran , instead of cherry picking , you will realise that all the prophets worshipped Allah. Muhammed is the last messenger . the majority always forget their Lord within a generation.

anyway, the next thing i can expect from y'all will be how muslims stole Allah from the bible - coming son to a thread in the religion section

"The term 'Allah' was used to refer to God by Arabic-speaking Christians before Arabic-speaking Muslims existed," he said.

i guess its the nairaland crusaders that are full of dubious research  cheesy cheesy cheesy

anyway wha can one expect from a kook that posts links from conspiracy websites as fact

next thin he'll be saying this is a plot by the bbc to rebrand cheesy cheesy
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by No2Atheism(m): 5:25am On Jan 09, 2010
oyb:

what a slow poke -

if you actually read the Quran , instead of cherry picking , you will realise that all the prophets worshipped Allah.

No they did not worshipped allah cus Allah was a moon god . . .

Elijah (one of the prophets) did not worshipp the arabian moon god called allah
Moses (one of the prophets) did not worshipp the arabian moon god called allah
Elisha (one of the prophets) did not worshipp the arabian moon god called allah
John the Baptist (one of the prophets) did not worshipp the arabian moon god called allah
Jeremiah (one of the prophets) did not worshipp the arabian moon god called allah

. . . SO STOP LYING THROUGH THE TEETH . . .

Muhammed is the last messenger

No he is not even a prophet . . . talkeless of a messenger . . .
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 5:28am On Jan 09, 2010
the falafel wey I chop, I hope they wont say I no suppose chop am as I no be Arab and Muslim?
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 5:32am On Jan 09, 2010
No2Atheism:

Elijah (one of the prophets) did not worshipped the arabian moon god called allah
Moses (one of the prophets) did not worshipped the arabian moon god called allah
Elisha (one of the prophets) did not worshipped the arabian moon god called allah
John the Baptist (one of the prophets) did not worshipped the arabian moon god called allah
Jeremiah (one of the prophets) did not worshipped the arabian moon god called allah

stop trying to run and hide behind religious dogma - the bible says this the quran says that - we can play hat game all day

answer the question -

so who is the Allah those malay Christians are referring to? a moon god?  cheesy cheesy

answer now  cheesy cheesy

none of your usual retreating into repeating

see as he is dodging the real subject - how typical -  tongue

abi its a conspiracy by those nasty white men to smuggle Allah into the bible grin grin grin

i'm sure we will soon see some ridiculous thread stating just that - no be you cheesy cheesy
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by No2Atheism(m): 5:44am On Jan 09, 2010
oyb:

stop trying to run and hide behind religious dogma - the bible says this the quran says that - we can play hat game all day

answer the question -

so who is the Allah those malay Christians are referring to? a moon god?  cheesy cheesy

answer now  cheesy cheesy

none of your usual retreating into repeating

see as he is dodging the real subject - how typical -  tongue

abi its a conspiracy by those nasty white men to smuggle Allah into the bible grin grin grin

i'm sure we will soon see some ridiculous thread stating just that - no be you cheesy cheesy

. . .

---------------------------------------

Your statement . . .

oyb:

what a slow poke -

if you actually read the Quran , instead of cherry picking , you will realise that all the prophets worshipped Allah. Muhammed is the last messenger . the majority always forget their Lord within a generation.

------------------------------------------------

My Response . . .

No2Atheism:

Elijah (one of the prophets) did not worshipp the arabian moon god called allah
Moses (one of the prophets) did not worshipp the arabian moon god called allah
Elisha (one of the prophets) did not worshipp the arabian moon god called allah
John the Baptist (one of the prophets) did not worshipp the arabian moon god called allah
Jeremiah (one of the prophets) did not worshipp the arabian moon god called allah

I am sorry but your re-branding does not work on me . . . try someone else . . .
Re: Malaysia: Churches Firebombed Amid Allah Dispute by Nobody: 5:49am On Jan 09, 2010
as expected, you're dodging the real subject  - how typical

as someone who perpetually spouts  that Allah is amoon god etal - the other popular one is demon - explain to me how it is that there are christians who say otherwise , that  Allah is a word for God

stop giving us 

and answer the question

if you can  cheesy cheesy

abi you are always this slow when it is not about chanting dogma or ridiculous copy and pasted conspiracy theories or condemnation of Catholics as fake Christians cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking Obama's Rules, Trump Bombs Mosques Killing ISIS Entire Iraqi Leadership / Chinese Scientist Proves The First Inhabitants Of China- Were Black! / Photo: All Four Kenyan Presidents Since Indepedence Pictured Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.