Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,477 members, 7,917,507 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:44 AM

Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father (4839 Views)

Gov Fashola Visits US Senate Building (see Photos) / Gov. Rochas Okorocha To Nd'igbo Your Greed Denied Us Senate / Abdul Mutallab's Online Posts! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by Beaf: 2:37am On Jan 10, 2010
[size=14pt]US Senate Invites Mutallab Senior[/size]
From Ike Abonyi in Abuja and Festus Akanbi in Lagos with agency reports, 01.10.2010

The on-going trial of Umar Farouk Abdul-Mutallab, the 23-year old Nigerian accused of plotting to blow up a US airliner on Christmas day took a new twist at the weekend as the United States Senate Committee on Foreign Relations invited his father, 70-year-old banker, Alhaji Umar Mutallab to appear before it on January 20.

Also in the US Senate, 20 Senators who are members of the Republican Party are collecting signatures from their colleagues in support of a letter to President Barack Obama objecting to the administration’s decision to try the suspect, Abdul-Mutallab in a civilian court. The Senators want the trial transferred to a military court, a development which will elevate the offence to the status of an attempt to levy war against the United States.

The US Senate’s invitation to Alhaji Mutallab dated January 7 was signed by its Chairman, Senator John Kerry who was the Democratic Presidential candidate in the 2004 elections. The letter was addressed to Nigeria’s acting ambassador in Washington, Babagana Wakil.

The letter which requested the former Chairman of First Bank to testify before it stated that: “The United State Senate Committee on Foreign Relations would like to extend an invitation to Mr. Farouk Abdulmut-allab, former Chief Executive Officer of the First Bank of Nigeria, to testify before the Committee on the morning of January 20,2009 (wrongly dated).

“Mr. Abdulmutallab acted in a heroic fashion by informing US authorities of his concerns about his son’s whereabouts and activities and by seeking to disrupt what he believed could have been a dangerous situation. We would like to afford him the opportunity to discuss his experience with his son and to provide his recommendations on the process by which he worked with US authorities.
“I would also note that Mr. Abdulmutallab’s appearance would allow him to correct the negative press to which Nigeria has been unfairly subjected over the past two weeks.

“The Committee is happy to pay for Mr. Abdulmutallab’s travel to the United States, hotel accommodations in Washington, and return to Nigeria. A Committee staff member, Mr. John Kiriakou, can make Mr. Abdulmuta-llab’s arrangements. Mr. Kiriakou can be reached at John_Kiriakou@foreign.senate.gov. His direct phone number is 202-224-5598 and his cell phone number is 703-655-8616.
“Thank you in advance for your assistance, Mr. Amba-ssador. I look forward to seeing you and to welcoming Mr. Abdul-mutallab before the Committee.”

When THISDAY contacted Presidency about the letter, Presidential Spokesman Mr. Olusegun Adeniyi who was on official duty in Angola where he is on a mission as a member of the Presidential Committee on Super Eagles participation in 2010 World Cup confirmed that the government was aware of the invitation and the Foreign Ministry is expected to formally convey it to Alhaji Mutallab at meeting soon.

“I am aware of the efforts and sleepless nights by the Vice President on this issue, especially how he has tasked our security agencies and Chief Ojo Maduekwe and President Yar’Adua has been briefed on all these efforts”, Adeniyi said. He noted that Senator Kerry’s letter vindicates Nigeria as a nation which abhors terrorism and that Farouk’s unfortunate action cannot be used to stigmatise the entire citzenry.

However, agency reports stated that the letter prepared by the Republican Senators asking President Obama to transfer Abdulmutallab’s trial to a military court was still circulating among Senate offices for signatures as at weekend. Initial signatory included senior Republicans on the Senate Judiciary, Intelligence and Armed Services committees.

The sponsors of the letter argued that critical questions such as whether Abdul-mutallab obtained money for the operation, and if so, from whom; the identities of all the people who assisted him; and how he trained for the attempted bombing remained unanswered.

The Republicans were said to have written the letter the same day Abdulmutallab pleaded not guilty in a federal court in Detroit. A US grand jury on Wednesday indicted him on six counts in the alleged plot, including attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction, which carries a penalty of up to life in prison, attempted murder, and wilful attempt to destroy or wreck an aircraft.
His next appearance in court was not set Friday.

Abdulmutallab allegedly attempted to detonate a bomb made from explosives PETN and TATP as Northwest Delta Airline Flight 253 was descending into Detroit en route from Amsterdam. There were 279 passengers and 11 crew members on board. The flight landed safely after passengers and crew subdued him.
Abdul Mutallab had pleaded not guilty to all six charges, including attempted murder and the attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=163817
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by SEFAGO(m): 2:40am On Jan 10, 2010
Did they summon or invite him? Invitations are usually given for dinner parties not trials

1 Like

Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by violent(m): 2:42am On Jan 10, 2010
SEFAGO:

Did they summon or invite him? Invitations are usually given for dinner parties not trials

LMFAO
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by SEFAGO(m): 2:44am On Jan 10, 2010
However, agency reports stated that the letter prepared by the Republican Senators asking President Obama to transfer Abdulmutallab’s trial to a military court was still circulating among Senate offices for signatures as at weekend. Initial signatory included senior Republicans on the Senate Judiciary, Intelligence and Armed Services committees.

As usual republicans.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by bkbaybe99: 2:53am On Jan 10, 2010
We should be thankful Bush aint the president. If he was, they would have lured the kids father over here, and b4 u know it he'd be in handcuffs too as a co-defendant.lol. Did they invite Timothy Mcveighs father to the senate? What about Ted Kaszcynski? Freakn hypocrites.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by SEFAGO(m): 2:56am On Jan 10, 2010
I think they want him to be witness for the state-a witness against his son technically. Americans are all about bureaucracy. Mutallab is going to jail for a long time, but they want to do it proper first world style.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by Beaf: 2:59am On Jan 10, 2010
They want to find out something about how the Mutallab was raised from childhood. Something might have caught their attention, so they want to see the dad koro koro. No letters, emails or phonecalls.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by paddylo1(m): 3:10am On Jan 10, 2010

i doubt that the U.S senate has the power to summon a non resident and non citizen

this is basically a way to put some pressure on obama. . .republicans will praise him when he shows up
and look for how to indict the obama administration as being incompetent

its all a show. .if he appears ill be watching it on c-span
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by saintneo(m): 3:43am On Jan 10, 2010
Do you guys think what I am thinking?

What if Mutallab snr. planned all these hoarse?

What if upon arriving the US senate, he detonates a WMD?

[s]I know this is only seen in Arnold Schwarzenegger videos.[/s]
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by BadPapers: 4:04am On Jan 10, 2010
Once again the fools in the Government especially the Nigerian official who is said to be in Angola suggest to me the level of ineptitude among this touts in the Nigerian Government. He already assumed that Senator John Kerry's Committee  vindates Nigeria based on his comments as i extracted below'

''When THISDAY contacted Presidency about the letter, Presidential Spokesman Mr. Olusegun Adeniyi who was on official duty in Angola where he is on a mission as a member of the Presidential Committee on Super Eagles participation in 2010 World Cup confirmed that the government was aware of the invitation and the Foreign Ministry is expected to formally convey it to Alhaji Mutallab at meeting soon.

“I am aware of the efforts and sleepless nights by the Vice President on this issue, especially how he has tasked our security agencies and Chief Ojo Maduekwe and President Yar’Adua  has been briefed on all these efforts”, Adeniyi said. He noted that Senator Kerry’s letter vindicates Nigeria as a nation which abhors terrorism and that Farouk’s unfortunate action cannot be used to stigmatise the entire citzenry.''

After reading post above it is clear to any sane person that Inviting Muttallab senior to the senate is simply to open up more questions from senior Mutallab. Let him not feel he is coming to the senate for a party or to thank him for informing the US Embassy about his son. Let him be ready for serious unanswered questions among other things including who was sponsoring his son while in london, where the son lived, who owns the property, is farouks mother a yameni citizen, what is his connection with yamen, when did he spoke to his son last, i also hear that the boy drives a Bentley whilst living in London. Keep in mind that most of these senators are all lawyers so Mutallab senior who had been hiding from the public would have his day at the senate & if he ever contradicts himself with the information the American authorities have already both about his family, his wealth etc he is in trouble
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by Beaf: 4:50am On Jan 10, 2010
^
You are right. I doubt it would be anything nearing a tea party. Ashiri go open!
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by naijatoday: 5:02am On Jan 10, 2010
He does not have to go, if he does not want to.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by SEFAGO(m): 5:03am On Jan 10, 2010
But he is obliged to go except he is hiding something. Declining to go, could have consequences. This simple request is bubbling with connotations.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by No2Atheism(m): 5:10am On Jan 10, 2010
BadPapers:

Once again the fools in the Government especially the Nigerian official who is said to be in Angola suggest to me the level of ineptitude among this touts in the Nigerian Government. He already assumed that Senator John Kerry's Committee  vindates Nigeria based on his comments as i extracted below'

''When THISDAY contacted Presidency about the letter, Presidential Spokesman Mr. Olusegun Adeniyi who was on official duty in Angola where he is on a mission as a member of the Presidential Committee on Super Eagles participation in 2010 World Cup confirmed that the government was aware of the invitation and the Foreign Ministry is expected to formally convey it to Alhaji Mutallab at meeting soon.

“I am aware of the efforts and sleepless nights by the Vice President on this issue, especially how he has tasked our security agencies and Chief Ojo Maduekwe and President Yar’Adua  has been briefed on all these efforts”, Adeniyi said. He noted that Senator Kerry’s letter vindicates Nigeria as a nation which abhors terrorism and that Farouk’s unfortunate action cannot be used to stigmatise the entire citzenry.''

After reading post above it is clear to any sane person that Inviting Muttallab senior to the senate is simply to open up more questions from senior Mutallab. Let him not feel he is coming to the senate for a party or to thank him for informing the US Embassy about his son. Let him be ready for serious unanswered questions among other things including who was sponsoring his son while in london, where the son lived, who owns the property, is farouks mother a yameni citizen, what is his connection with yamen, when did he spoke to his son last, i also hear that the boy drives a Bentley whilst living in London. Keep in mind that most of these senators are all lawyers so Mutallab senior who had been hiding from the public would have his day at the senate & if he ever contradicts himself with the information the American authorities have already both about his family, his wealth etc he is in trouble

- The highlighted part (in red) is the main issue . . .
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by Nobody: 5:15am On Jan 10, 2010
The idiot is an Islamist too. They can open his file once he gets to the US and put him in shackles. Come to Ammmmmmerrrrika. Wwwwwweeee  wibity wayyyyyyyrrrring for you Mumutallab. This motherfucker got weapon industry with Israel, and y'all Mumuslims don't see that in the cooperate world, it's all business nothing is sacred or divine. The thing is, Americans are suffering the aftermath of Mutallab's actions more than foreigners. They had plans to introduce the body scanner before his action but don't know how. Scanners are coming to your local Walmart stores. All we need is an event to promote it's use. Uncle Sam is watching you.

New world begins soon. Where are the nerds? We need a lot of nerds for the new world. It's the age of the machines more like a cybernetic revolt so hackers and wizards, get your fingertips and glasses ready. No more spanners and hammers. New era begins in 2years. Hopefully, it's better than the present and about to be past era.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by naijamini(m): 5:18am On Jan 10, 2010
@SEFAGO

I disagree. He is not obligated to do anything of the such, but you are right it might be construed that he his hiding something. However, he is putting himself in danger by attending a Senate hearing in the United States while his son is under trial, evil as the son's plan was, besides it does not make sense. He is in deep sorow over this I am sure.

He shouldn't reply with a no, but say that if it is really that important they are invited to Nigeria to meet him. Afterall they are jetting in and out of Iraq/Afhganistan at a moment's notice.

If our police were organized differently we would have a very efficient Federal Investigation going on to handle all contacts with the United States on this affair. But that is too much to ask, since we don't even know where and how our president is!!

We are truly at a sorry junction in this country!!

SEFAGO:

But he is obliged to go except he is hiding something. Declining to go, could have consequences. This simple request is bubbling with connotations.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by No2Atheism(m): 5:23am On Jan 10, 2010
- Personally . . . I am not supporting the man (Umar Farouk's Father) and am neither supporting the United States Senate Committee on Foreign Relations on this Senate Committed issue . . . I don't know the whole truth hence it would be silly of me to start making general statements about who is guilty or who is not guilty.

- Yes i sympathise with the US in terms of the terror attacks that they are facing . . . considering that I am against any lose of life in any manner or form.

- Yet for some unknown reason, I feel very uncomfortable with the idea that a Nigerian (Umar Farouk's Father) might forced to answer to the US Senate committee. . . otherwise it makes him look like he is hiding something.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by Beaf: 7:16am On Jan 10, 2010
No2Atheism:

- Personally . . . I am not supporting the man (Umar Farouk's Father) and am neither supporting the United States Senate Committee on Foreign Relations on this Senate Committed issue . . . I don't know the whole truth hence it would be silly of me to start making general statements about who is guilty or who is not guilty.

- Yes i sympathise with the US in terms of the terror attacks that they are facing . . . considering that I am against any lose of life in any manner or form.

- Yet for some unknown reason, I feel very uncomfortable with the idea that a Nigerian (Umar Farouk's Father) might forced to answer to the US Senate committee. . . otherwise it makes him look like he is hiding something.

Because of the boys young age and the severity of the the crime he has committed (a one man declaration of war and mass murder attempt), it is inevitable that every US law making and law upholding insituition will want to talk to him and scrutinise his dealings in micro detail. There will be police officers, forensic experts, psychologists in the wings. . . The full gamut of expertise a country like the US can throw at an opportunity to unearth the circumstances that created a terrorist.

Its gonna be ugly for Mr Mutallab.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by Nobody: 7:45am On Jan 10, 2010
No comment 4 now.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by chidyke77(m): 8:39am On Jan 10, 2010
Let him go and clear himself coz its better the hear from his father directly.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by bkbaybe99: 9:02am On Jan 10, 2010
Well the proper thing to do will be to decline the invitation. He is still in shock, he is in sorrow, he is about to lose his son to the penal system (even if his son is given 20 years, which is the best he can hope for) the man is 70 yrs old, he'll never see his son again!!! Aside from that, any statements he makes to the committee might turn out to be inflamotory, incriminating (against his son), and might turn out to work against his son when his lawyers are negotiating his plea! Itd best he stays away until after his son's sentence. I believe he'll probably get 20-30 years cus if u listen closely to the networks,even fox, (compared to,say,the Richard Reid period) everyone seems to be sympathizing with the mutallib kid. I guess they all astounded as to why a kid that had the whole world would decide to ignite his own nuts becus of some arabs that don't give half a fc.uk about him. Bottomline Mr Muttalib Snr, do urself some good and stay away form the committee; at least for now!
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by wirinet(m): 9:15am On Jan 10, 2010
As much as i find the attempted bombing unacceptable and unpardonable, we should not get carried away by emotions and press hype.

The senate have no such powers to summon a citizen of a foreign country to answer to it. Can our senate summon any US citizen (especially a prominent one at that). I do not even think the executive has such powers. If they have anything against Mutallab senior, there are proper channels for getting him extradited. If they want to interrogate him, they can only do so through our security agencies here in Nigeria. But i do not blame the US for treating us like shit, when our country is getting close to a banana republic.

So if the 20 senators are able to collect all the other senator's signature, does that mean the Nigerian government is obliged to crate Mutallab senior (Dikko's style) and send him to the US?

Please can someone tell me what Segun Adeniyi is doing in Angola? is it from Angola that we would get press releases (the job he is being paid for) on Yaradua?
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by texazzpete(m): 9:27am On Jan 10, 2010
wirinet:

As much as i find the attempted bombing unacceptable and unpardonable, we should not get carried away by emotions and press hype.

The senate have no such powers to summon a citizen of a foreign country to answer to it. Can our senate summon any US citizen (especially a prominent one at that). I do not even think the executive has such powers. If they have anything against Mutallab senior, there are proper channels for getting him extradited. If they want to interrogate him, they can only do so through our security agencies here in Nigeria. But i do not blame the US for treating us like poo, when our country is getting close to a banana republic.

So if the 20 senators are able to collect all the other senator's signature, does that mean the Nigerian government is obliged to crate Mutallab senior (Dikko's style) and send him to the US?

Please can someone tell me what Segun Adeniyi is doing in Angola? is it from Angola that we would get press releases (the job he is being paid for) on Yaradua?

the US Senate Invited him, not summoned him. And the 20 signatures being collected Is for another issue unrelated to Mutallab Snr's invitation.
That's clear from the article. Do you have a problem with comprehending written English?
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by wirinet(m): 9:43am On Jan 10, 2010
I must apologize for for tying the 20 signatures to Mutallab's invitation/summon. But i think you have problems with ethics and i think you have a very low self esteem, for being a Nigerian, If not you would have demanded that the US (including the US senate) accord Nigeria and Nigerians some degree of respect, the way it respects other friendly sovereign Nations. It is very disrespectful for the US senate to issue an invitation/summon to a citizens of another sovereign state. There are diplomatic ways of doing things and i do not think Nigeria had refused to cooperate with the US so far. When we need to "invite"  our own citizens who have committed an offense and have taken refuge in the US or UK, they insist we pass through normal channels and not just issue invitations.
Tell me which other country the US senate had ever issued such an invitation.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by wirinet(m): 9:57am On Jan 10, 2010
Also, how many of the 911 suspect's parents, family members or associates did the US senate invite? Or one rule for Saudi Arabia (as 11 of the 911 suspects are Saudis) and another one for bloody Nigerians
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by Pifa: 10:14am On Jan 10, 2010
SEFAGO:

Mutallab is neither obligated nor can he be forced to testify before the US congress. That obligation is reserved for US citizens and legal residents. He may decline the invitation, if he so chooses.

I don't think it would look bad, if he should decline the invitation. There is nothing Congress will ask him that the FBI had not already asked him. I hope he gets good advice before he accepts or declines the invitation.

But as another poster already noted, the Republicans recognize the PR value in having Mutallab testify before Congress, so this is nothing more than an opportunity for them to paint the Obama administration as "soft on the war on terror".
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by Pifa: 10:34am On Jan 10, 2010
wirinet:

I must apologize for for tying the 20 signatures to Mutallab's invitation/summon. But i think you have problems with ethics and i think you have a very low self esteem, for being a Nigerian, If not you would have demanded that the US (including the US senate) accord Nigeria and Nigerians some degree of respect, the way it respects other friendly sovereign Nations. It is very disrespectful for the US senate to issue an invitation/summon to a citizens of another sovereign state. There are diplomatic ways of doing things and i do not think Nigeria had refused to cooperate with the US so far. When we need to "invite"  our own citizens who have committed an offense and have taken refuge in the US or UK, they insist we pass through normal channels and not just issue invitations.

The word to note here is "invitation". As with any invitation, the invitee reserves the prerogative to accept or decline. What's so hard to understand here?

While I cannot cite specifics without doing a Google search -- and I won't -- extending invitations to foreign nationals to testify before the US congress is not uncommon.

South American nationals had appeared before Congressional Committees investigating drug trafficking. Britons had testified before US congress on terrorism and other matters in the past.

Again, these subjects accepted the invitation on their own volition. No one forced or coerced them to attend the proceedings.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by Beaf: 10:37am On Jan 10, 2010
Whether the Mutallabs like it or not, they have become part and parcel of US politics. They should be prepared to be investigated by the press, threatened, blackmailed and be tools in all sorts of dirty tricks. Farouk the fool, didn't do anybody any favours.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by otawa: 10:43am On Jan 10, 2010
is this case not in court?

is there no law that says you cant comment on case already in court of law?

I wonder what they want to learn from his Father.

This is another 'show'. I am not impressed.

When he voluntary went to them in Abuja. What action did they took?

They call sell their 'cook-bull-tea-party' to gullible people!

HISSSS
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by Pifa: 10:55am On Jan 10, 2010
Beaf:

Whether the Mutallabs like it or not, they have become part and parcle of US politics. They should be prepared to be investigated by the press, threatened, blackmailed and be tools in all sorts of dirty tricks. Farouk the fool, didn't do anybody any favours.

A good way to deal with being dragged into the web of American politics is to avoid giving interviews to the local media while they are in the US. They should talk to the FBI, though. They have nothing to worry about as far as dirty trick or blackmail is concerned. His cooperation is more valuable to the US authorities than any wacko’s desire to play dirty tricks on them or see them dead.

The father actually has some positive press in the media here. He appears to an educated and dignified person who wanted the best for his son, but unwittingly opened the door for the son's indoctrination in radical Islam.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by texazzpete(m): 11:23am On Jan 10, 2010
wirinet:

careful, mon Ami. Your ignorance is beginning to show.
I must again urge you to read the original post. The invitation (not a summon, dimwit) is couched in extremely polite words, andthey make it clear what issues are to be discussed. Also they make it clear that his expenses will be taken up by the state. So what's the 'disrespect' about?
I don't care what you think about my 'esteem as a Nigerian'. I pay my taxes, obey all laws, remain honest and vote. This is more than I can say for the majority of Nigerians. If only you whiners focused your attention on doing all these instead of indulging in this faux patriotism of rhetorics, Nigeria would be a better nation.
Re: Us Senate Invites Mutallab's Father by Nobody: 11:26am On Jan 10, 2010
Mutallab Snr better get his story right.

Should his story not tally with what these Americans already know/have, it may have not be good news at all, . . especially for him

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sarakis' : The Thieving Slave Masters Of Kwara (with Pics) / Akwa Ibom People Are The Natural Ally And Friend Of The Igbos / Breaking: My Prayer Is For God To Disgrace Tinubu, Aregbesola Re-echoes Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.