Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,385 members, 7,913,958 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 03:13 PM

Not Much Sense Studying So Hard After All - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Not Much Sense Studying So Hard After All (706 Views)

Do You have any Regrets Studying Engineering? / "English That Only Makes Sense In Nigeria" Trends On Twitter, Ah Naija Self / This Is Why It's So Hard To Maintain Eye Contact While Having A Conversation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not Much Sense Studying So Hard After All by Nobody: 1:30pm On May 10, 2017
Whenever I stand before my students and it's time for petty talk, in all sincerity I now find it difficult to encourage and motivate my students to work very hard taking their studies seriously. As a practioner of my craft and teacher of the same I think the least I owe them is to not sugar-coat anything for them. Degrees no longer guarantee a decent livelihood for anyone. And our institutions of higher learning have become a lot more like a scam, wasting people's time and given them no compensation for the effort and money spent. Even those who study professional courses, if they ever get a job, they barely have enough to feed themselves.

Imagine a law graduate post-law school earning #30,000? Imagine a medical doctor walking from pillar to post for years without getting a single interview? The children of the common man has no hope whatsoever. You have to know someone who knows someone to get an interview, and to get a job. This is what our system has become.

Now imagine a politician or public office holder who steals #1,000,000,000 (#1billion). If he spends it recklessly at the rate of #100,000 per day, he will need 27 long years to finish the money. And who are these corrupt individuals? They are often mostly the scum of our educational systems. They were thugs in school. They were hardly ever concerned with learning... And in the corners of their fraternal meets they laugh at all diligent, conscientous, hardworking and smart Nigerians. The Dinos, the Fayoses, the Sarakis ... the list is endless. And what more, these very individuals are in charge of fixing how much you earn, while they take the largese home and bury somewhere.

We cannot continue this way. Neither can I in all sincerity continue encouraging the students to work hard; that only qualifies most people for miserable existence.

Something needs to happen to bring sanity.
We cannot continue this way.
Sanity has to be restored someway.
The jumbo pay, the criminal pay the politicians take, the security vote has to come to an end. It is illegal. It is criminal. It is a sinful wage. It is immoral. And it has to end.

We don't just need jobs for the unemployed youth who are increasingly attracted to the useless way of life of these legal thieves. We need a system that empowers the very youth. Our youth are smart and industrous enough to establish businesses and industries that will employ all other youth. Empowerment through financial institutions. Not jobs!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Not Much Sense Studying So Hard After All by Adminisher: 1:34pm On May 10, 2017
This is the unfortunate truth but I still say read your books and be diligent in all you do

1 Like

Re: Not Much Sense Studying So Hard After All by PatrickOkunima(m): 1:38pm On May 10, 2017
It's really sad, my brother. In a discussion with my younger brother a few days back, I did mention to him that democracy can never solve our problems as a country. My reason is, the system is so corrupt that it cannot bring forth a good leader. One has to be a thug or a thief, or a child of either, to hold a political position in Nigeria.

The only solution out of this mess is (I won't mention it). You and I know it. That's the only way. Unfortunately, we don't have the balls to do it.

Tell your students to acquire knowledge just for the sake of it and not because of greener pastures. Knowledge gives a kind of joy, a fulfillment that nothing else can give.

1 Like

Re: Not Much Sense Studying So Hard After All by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 10, 2017
Adminisher:
This is the unfortunate truth but I still say read your books and be diligent in all you do

I understand your point of view. But after they have read and read and passed with flying colours...and years after graduation they still have nothing to do with that degree, how do we justify our advice to them?

I think we should start openly discussing this issues. Let's call it the right name. It doesn't make sense that parents would spend the best part of their lives running from pillar to post to finance their children's education, only for the children to remain dependent on the parents after graduation. This development has destroyed the moral fabric of our society...increasing number of people are finding crime attractive. That's not necessarily because they are bad, but because it is very hard to live without food.

1 Like

Re: Not Much Sense Studying So Hard After All by ifex370(m): 2:09pm On May 10, 2017
This is the only issue that keeps me up at night...

Sometimes I feel like going to secondary schools around ,walking from class to class and dissuade them from schooling.. They should just stop at their waec level n follow their heart to pursue their dreams with all passion...

Education I repeat.. Is the biggest scam of the 21th century

2 Likes

Re: Not Much Sense Studying So Hard After All by Jman06(m): 5:22pm On May 10, 2017
I think students should study professional courses that are in high demand, so they can be able to start something on their own and not wait for government's jobs.

Those who can't gain admission should go and learn skilled works that are also in high demand. Nobody should waste his time studying any useless courses in the university. My opinion
Re: Not Much Sense Studying So Hard After All by apatheticme(f): 7:20pm On May 10, 2017
ifex370:
This is the only issue that keeps me up at night...

Sometimes I feel like going to secondary schools around ,walking from class to class and dissuade them from schooling.. They should just stop at their waec level n follow their heart to pursue their dreams with all passion...

Education I repeat.. Is the biggest scam of the 21th century

Try ignorance, it's more expensive. However it's 21st not 21th

1 Like

Re: Not Much Sense Studying So Hard After All by ifex370(m): 9:50pm On May 10, 2017
apatheticme:

Try ignorance, it's more expensive. However it's 21st not 21th

Thanks for the correction mehn... Honestly I had a hard time deciding whether it was 21st , 21th or 21sth grin funny enough...

But don't you just feel the same way.. That some people with great potentials are wasting time in schools all across

1 Like

Re: Not Much Sense Studying So Hard After All by apatheticme(f): 10:15pm On May 10, 2017
ifex370:

Thanks for the correction mehn... Honestly I had a hard time deciding whether it was 21st , 21th or 21sth grin funny enough...

But don't you just feel the same way.. That some people with great potentials are wasting time in schools all across

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Role Of Wireless Communications Network In Research / Crisis Rocks Akwa Ibom State College Of Education (AKCOE), Afaha Nsit / Nans Jcc Lagos Say No To Laspotech Brutality By The Nigerian Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.