Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,230 members, 7,880,872 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:25 AM

London Is Not The Paradise I Expected - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / London Is Not The Paradise I Expected (22458 Views)

London Is The World's Most Popular Capital - Again / Igboland The Emerging Paradise Of Africa / Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by dough(m): 11:01pm On Feb 01, 2007
hey, i don't think we're talking about cities that are better than London here? London isn't that bad. I have been to london twice and manchester m34 once and they aint that bad like some cities in Nigeria, thank God our FCT is now taking a shape like london shocked tongue
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by IykeD1(m): 12:49am On Feb 02, 2007
Hmmm,

My closest experience to being in London was a stop-over en route to Aberdeen, so
technically, I may not be fully qualified to pass judgment here. In any case, here is my
take.

I can only say how I wish Abuja or Lagos was able to attract the level of attention or
people that London commands in the entire world. Lest I forget, most of the richest
Nigerians living in Nigeria do have homes in London - its a badge of honor! I guess all
that makes London count for something, it must not be too bad after all.

Yes, I know home is home, but try convincing one of those guys/gals queuing up in the
London embassy in Lagos/Abuja for a visa otherwise. Most of them are been driven
away by poverty and hardship. Last time I checked, the Nigerian High Commission in
London is not been besieged by Britons.

There are people doing very well in Nigeria, but the bulk of the population are barely
trying to eke out a living or living under inexcusable conditions. Of course, both the
rich and poor all share the same fate in a way - bad roads, epileptic water or power
supply(I know some people have borehole and their generators!), flying coffins, etc.
Strangely enough, in the midst of all these, there is a zeal for living and for having fun,
its "Naija!"

Bottom line, there are a good number of Nigerians doing well in London or the US for
that matter, but there are also a sizeable portion just trying to get by. This should be
expected - some people are bound to do better than some of their peers as individual
circumstances and talents varies. This also applies to those who have lived their entire
life in Nigeria too.

So, to the originator of this thread, if you have seen all of London and there is nothing
more for you to see, it may be time to jet back to your beloved country - the Area boys
are waiting to welcome you at the airport (Lagos airport that is). Shouldn't you be in
school or something? I know they can't "fail" you but it may be a good idea to attend
more classes for a change - you may actually learn something! But if you chose to hold
your nose and stay some more, appreciate the fact that you are in a famed city (home
of your former colonial masters) and take some time to explore around you.

1 Like

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by waleleader(m): 12:53am On Feb 02, 2007
bunmii:

@ walelead where is erebus drive in thamesmead
west or north

I dont live in South so i may be wrong, but i think its in West Thamesmead

funkilicious:

@walelead, i live in Abbey wood, my house is not far from Thamesmead.  About 90% of Nigerians own their own house in UK.
Abeg tell Naija4life who thinks all Nigerians in UK are always broke
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by bigbumper(f): 1:32am On Feb 02, 2007
funkilicious:

Why y'all dissing Uk/London? u lot need to shut up!
@dblock, you need to show us where you’ve built, before you start criticizing. Someone like you does not know jack nada that's why you keep babbling,
@Seun, what makes u think that the tax people pay equals tuition for their Education. People in UK do not complain about paying Taxes, they all know that the Tax that they pay benefits them one way or the other. Also, UK is the only country that helps family financially if they cannot afford to send their children to University. And when I was in college, I was paid given money every week just for attending college. And they help families that live in poverty.
@walelead, i live in Abbey wood, my house is not far from Thamesmead. About 90% of Nigerians own their own house in UK.

Where on earth did you dig your stats from? About 90% own kini?
And who says UK people are not complaining about paying tax? UK is able to help some families financially, give you money to go to college etc only because of the taxpayers.
If you earn £30k per annum, your take home pay is £19k out of which you have to pay rent, council tax, your medication, your children's school fees, plus your kids don't get the weekly allowance that you get, etc, so how do they enjoy paying this tax? Why do you think a lot of them think it is better to be on benefit than to work?
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 1:50am On Feb 02, 2007
But if you chose to hold
your nose and stay some more, appreciate the fact that you are in a famed city (home
of your former colonial masters) and take some time to explore around you

There is Colo mentality at work. She should be happy she's in the home of her former colonial masters, it's a pity!!
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by dblock(m): 6:21am On Feb 02, 2007
Why y'all dissing Uk/London? u lot need to shut up!
@dblock, you need to show us where you’ve built, before you start criticizing.  Someone like you does not know jack nada that's why you keep babbling,
@Seun, what makes u think that the tax people pay equals tuition for their Education.   People in UK do not complain about paying Taxes, they all know that the Tax that they pay benefits them one way or the other. Also, UK is the only country that helps family financially if they cannot afford to send their children to University. And when I was in college, I was paid given money every week just for attending college.  And they help families that live in poverty.
@walelead, i live in Abbey wood, my house is not far from Thamesmead.  About 90% of Nigerians own their own house in UK.

Well the important thing is that you are happy with your place of residence, I personally couldn't live in the Uk, but hey we're different. Hey your stats are hilarious I'll post them to the comedy chanel. Anyways peace even if you dey for london grin

PS. Oh yeah, the only place in the world which I haven't dissed is Nigeria, God bless Naija and oh yeah Dubai God bless the UAE
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by GNature(m): 6:25am On Feb 02, 2007
dblock,

why can't you live in the UK ? Do you mean parts of the UK OR the entire UK period ?
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by dblock(m): 6:30am On Feb 02, 2007
See people have misunderstod my posts. The UK is a developed place with good infrastructure and well maintained road etc., but I don't like the atmosphere of the place, the weather and all, it's just too much for me, it's not my kind of place, I prefer places like Nigeria where happiness can be there despite hardship, you know the tropical climate and all. I can go to the UK but i can't live there that's all wink
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by GNature(m): 6:32am On Feb 02, 2007
dblock:

See people have misunderstod my posts. The UK is a developed place with good infrastructure and well maintained road etc., but I don't like the atmosphere of the place, the weather and all, it's just too much for me, it's not my kind of place, I prefer places like Nigeria where happiness can be there despite hardship, you know the tropical climate and all. I can go to the UK but i can't live there that's all wink

hey dblock,

I didn't misunderstand you at all, I was just a little curious as to why you wouldn't want to live there.

Got your points though wink
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by dunzpetro(m): 11:53am On Feb 02, 2007
No matter where you go there is no place like home! we don't the level of freedom we enjoy here in naija
Nigeria is d only country in d world where u don't get harassed b'cos u have #m in ur bank account (ie if u r not looting govt funds) as abusiness man but i wonder the manner of business u'll do in d uk to have such money in ur account without being quizzed by men from scotland yard. Again you r taxed heavily, u r hated 4 being black(damilola taylor 4 instance). UK is good to visit and have restricted movement, but Naija is better to live in with ur mind at rest.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by naija4life(f): 1:49pm On Feb 02, 2007
@dunzpetro, very interesting post
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by waleleader(m): 2:04pm On Feb 02, 2007
dunzpetro:

you're hated 4 being black(damilola taylor 4 instance).  better to live in with your mind at rest.

No one hates U for being black, they hate U because You are in their country and enjoying the resources they would have loved to keep to themselves. It just selfishness and I don't blame them
If we had so much Ghanians in Nigeria we would be planning a Ghana-must-Go strategy.

PS: Damilola Taylor's death had nothing to do with his race/colour, he was not killed by whites. People are bullied and stabbed to death in London on a daily basis

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by 4Play(m): 2:08pm On Feb 02, 2007
@dunzpetro

So presumably people  have a better rest of mind in Port Harcourt than people in London.

Of all the arguments that u can make for not living abroad,suggesting u have a better rest of mind in Nigeria than say the U.K,is laughable.

Even your assertion that u are taxed heavily is illogical.The fact of the matter is that disposable income in the West is far higher than in Nigeria.After all the tax is removed from your wages,u still earn income higher on average than what is obtainable in Nigeria without tax.

It is not as if the tax is neccesarily money down the drain,u still benefit from the public services it pays over.Govt corruption in Nigeria counts as a tax on Nigerians.Its difference from taxation in the West,is that in the West u are taxed from your wages,in Nigeria u are taxed before the money has a chance to be reflected on your wages.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by folkzy(f): 2:29pm On Feb 02, 2007
@dblock, how come my post/stats was funny? I don’t get u.

My statistics was based on my opinions and what I have seen. Can we please we end the debate of London,
@big_bumper, I'm no more in college, so I do not get d money anymore lol. I kind of understand what u mean girl.

CASE CLOSED!
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by dblock(m): 3:16pm On Feb 02, 2007
Peace grin
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:01pm On Feb 02, 2007
Those are some ugly ass kids.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by folkzy(f): 5:27pm On Feb 02, 2007
@Thiefheart, pardon me ?
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:28pm On Feb 02, 2007
did I bump into you or something?

Im obviously referring to those grimlin looking kids in the picture above.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by jydagirl(f): 5:34pm On Feb 02, 2007
pele babafayce.
My 1st experience was quite similar to yours.hwever, i had to fight my wway out of the house.I spent most of my time in the malls,shopping,went outside london for 2 days.saw the country,went to the cinema,ate out.
The most dissapointing thing for me were the T.V channels which were not too interesting.Try go clubbing.i never got the chance to do that,but i hear its fun.wish i cld help more. ;Denjoy!!
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by folkzy(f): 5:54pm On Feb 02, 2007
@Thiefheart, alright.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by dblock(m): 6:22pm On Feb 02, 2007
They look like they on drugs or something, anyways it's not surprising they are black (Hey it's not a racist comment cos I'm black too) Oh shit I'm on drugs shocked
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 6:56pm On Feb 02, 2007
Even your assertion that u are taxed heavily is illogical.The fact of the matter is that disposable income in the West is far higher than in Nigeria.After all the tax is removed from your wages,u still earn income higher on average than what is obtainable in Nigeria without tax.

Yeah and as you get the after tax money, you spend it all without even knowing it.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by 4Play(m): 8:55pm On Feb 02, 2007
Donzman:

Yeah and as you get the after tax money, you spend it all without even knowing it.

In Nigeria,most people won't get money in the first place,since greedy politicians have looted the national resources before u can have a share of it

Are u saying that disposable income in Canada is less than income in Nigeria
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by IykeD1(m): 10:01pm On Feb 02, 2007
@dounceman

There is Colo mentality at work. She should be happy she's in the home of her former colonial masters, it's a pity!!

Performing true to form - I had several paragraphs on my write up, but it was the last liner that got you, yeah?
Do I have to spoon-feed you every time? You can't ready irony or pun? One thing is becoming apparent, you sure
do love to find something to disagree with me - what's the fixation? Just wondering though, not that I give a sh*t
about what you think anyway. . . grin
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Lg3(m): 11:06pm On Feb 02, 2007
@ babyface
good that u've been to london and seen for yurself.truth is most boys that return to naija and make noise,u can tell they've got nothing,but the real pple cant shout. So deal wit it and enjoy yur holiday.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by superman(m): 12:33am On Feb 03, 2007
one question that still remains is

who will fix up nigeria for all yall something ehh?

thats all im interested in! full stop

as always

SUPERMAN

by the way TOH any love for me, i noticed the new outfit picture in ur profile hmm ha
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by LadyT(f): 12:40am On Feb 03, 2007
Superman if the theifs who stole the cash returned the stuff they stole and we get a decent Goverment. Nigeria would begin to progress at the rate it should progress at!

Do you fancy TOH?

Shes looks cute in her pic doesnt she. Just admit it I wont tell no one wink
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by superman(m): 12:42am On Feb 03, 2007
where u de hide self in london hmm holla at me lady -t
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by LadyT(f): 12:43am On Feb 03, 2007
North London- where are you?

Probably south, *rolls eyes*
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by superman(m): 12:45am On Feb 03, 2007
north west! drop a note in my email babes
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by LadyT(f): 12:48am On Feb 03, 2007
What kind of note F sharp or C minor

LOL,
We London peeps should meet up and have a Nairaland party. I just wonder how many punch ups we will have LOL
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by superman(m): 12:50am On Feb 03, 2007
hahah nice 1

well im waitin still for that note ha

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Nigerian In UK Sham Marriage To Be Jailed For 12 Months / Dilapidated Nature Of Ijoko Road, Ifo LG And Itoki Road In Ogun State / One Dies, Eight Injured In Anambra Road Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.