Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,936 members, 7,890,080 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:56 AM

Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal (16298 Views)

441 First Class Graduates Take Oyo Teaching Service Test / What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? / Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by teamsynergy: 7:42am On May 12, 2017
coolestchris:
me I just jejely carry my third class, leave uniben oh, all this so many first class in Nigeria, yet no innovations anywhere just imported technologies and ideas

most first class materials should strive to be innovative, for example we have various first class computer engineers who can't design an operating system

we have various first class materials who are carrying files looking for jobs, bit.ch sit down and invent ideas that will revolutionize this dying country

how many first class graduates have invented ideas and things in this country

watch out for my new song titled "cucumber"
its easier said than done. Nigeria govt doesn't care... abroad u get research grant , there are labs with state of the art equipments. here what you get is paper presentation and voila , u are a professor

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by IMASTEX: 7:46am On May 12, 2017
Lol. . .hope you didn't spend much creating the WOFA site?!!!
Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by Zico5(m): 7:46am On May 12, 2017
HRich:
3VQ65RH

Walking away
Bet9ja
Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by GeneralOjukwu: 7:48am On May 12, 2017
coolestchris:
me I just jejely carry my third class, leave uniben oh, all this so many first class in Nigeria, yet no innovations anywhere just imported technologies and ideas

most first class materials should strive to be innovative, for example we have various first class computer engineers who can't design an operating system

we have various first class materials who are carrying files looking for jobs, bit.ch sit down and invent ideas that will revolutionize this dying country

how many first class graduates have invented ideas and things in this country

watch out for my new song titled "cucumber"

Nice comment....as a 1st class, one should be exceptional and original enough to squeeze water out of stone. Not to be carrying CV up and down begging for a job.

Being in the 99th percentile of the class should make you think outside the box. Shouldn't be just cram and pour.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by mhaikell(m): 7:51am On May 12, 2017
biggest gospel reality show

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by TonySpike: 7:52am On May 12, 2017
Plenty first class haters on this thread o! The irony of it is that many first class graduates end up using their skills and knowledge in other developed countries. I know many of my first class friends that are no longer in Nigeria and are doing exceedingly well in their careers.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by dallyemmy: 8:21am On May 12, 2017
1st Class should be our minimum requirement for being a Senator...A degree in Law would be an added advantage.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by TheVictorious(m): 8:22am On May 12, 2017
sbashir10:
Honestly, i think the problem lies with some of our so called public university lecturer.

In my department, a girl made first-class in her 100 level, and she was happy about it, after learning that nobody had graduated with first-class in political science since 1974,when the last person graduated, and a particular lecturer told her that, she should show him her result or cgpa when she gets to 300 level, that she can only graduate with a strong 2.1 Second Class Upper...

that above statement alone is enough to bring her morale down.
i think we have problems with our lecturers in public universities compared to those in private universities, lecturers here are seen like semi god, which is totally wrong, poor students to lecturer relationship and host of other issues like funding..
RIP public Universities

The same lecturers when they go to good private universities behave and perform better. What do you suppose is responsible for this? The system I think.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by sbashir10(m): 8:27am On May 12, 2017
TheVictorious:

The same lecturers when they go to good private universities behave and perform better. What do you suppose is responsible for this? The system I think.

exactly, the fault is from the system, getting appointment into public universities in Nigeria is about someone, who knows someone who knows someone.
imagine a bsc holder lecturing a bsc student?? and such lecturer is not a first class graduate.
it's so pathetic,

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by TheVictorious(m): 8:27am On May 12, 2017
What I can boldly say here is that most Nigerian students if afforded to study in world class universities will make first class.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by TheVictorious(m): 8:28am On May 12, 2017
GeneralOjukwu:

Nice comment....as a 1st class, one should be exceptional and original enough to squeeze water out of stone. Not to be carrying CV up and down begging for a job.

Being in the 99th percentile of the class should make you think outside the box. Shouldn't be just cram and pour.

hmmm... TRUE.
Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by TheVictorious(m): 8:30am On May 12, 2017
sbashir10:

exactly, the fault is from the system, getting appointment into public universities in Nigeria is about someone, who knows someone who knows someone.
imagine a bsc holder lecturing a bsc student?? and such lecturer is not a first class graduate.
it's so pathetic,

Really? In which school did you notice that?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by sagerasaq: 8:35am On May 12, 2017
Lobatan!! na d debate dt.. Public Universities are better than Private Universities?
who win?
Abeg who get Sugar i wan shack Garri
Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by TheVictorious(m): 8:45am On May 12, 2017
sagerasaq:
Lobatan!! na d debate dt.. Public Universities are better than Private Universities?
who win?
Abeg who get Sugar i wan shack Garri

Garri Kilode, this early morning?
Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by Nobody: 9:35am On May 12, 2017
If only university graduates are more practical inclined, the standard of learning has gone down what you see in universities is "la cram la pour" a story was once told of a first class agricultural science graduate who could not identify a cola nut seed? somebody said that grade is a general evidence that you crammed what your lecturer gave to you and returned back to sender during exam.. funny but there are are practically inclined first class

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by africandictator(m): 9:51am On May 12, 2017
this is pure arrant nonsense talks! why won't most nigerian undergraduates strive to come out with 1st class degrees, when her labour market is like d road to heaven..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by adedayourt(m): 10:05am On May 12, 2017
sbashir10:
Honestly, i think the problem lies with some of our so called public university lecturer.

In my department, a girl made first-class in her 100 level, and she was happy about it, after learning that nobody had graduated with first-class in political science since 1974,when the last person graduated, and a particular lecturer told her that, she should show him her result or cgpa when she gets to 300 level, that she can only graduate with a strong 2.1 Second Class Upper...

that above statement alone is enough to bring her morale down.
i think we have problems with our lecturers in public universities compared to those in private universities, lecturers here are seen like semi god, which is totally wrong, poor students to lecturer relationship and host of other issues like funding..
RIP public Universities

I concur with ur opinion.

From my own personal experience

During my orientation in 100l bck in d days. A lecturer in d department confidently stood up and made a demoraleing statement.
He said if any of you seated here today think you ll graduate with a first class from dis department you had better withdraw now bcus dat can never be possible in this department, but third class is for majority of u nd a second class is for the exceptional brilliant ones.

Wen he made d statement, other lectures seated put on this mischievous smile.

Dat is d kind of system we have in our university system

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by bizzibodi(m): 10:16am On May 12, 2017
i just wonder y 1st class graduates shld b looking for white collar jobs y cnt they creat,innovate new concepts,inventions,biznesses to solve our enormous societal problems?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by bizzibodi(m): 10:20am On May 12, 2017
GeoOla25:
most of the first class are Jobless so what's the essence of a first class degree with no capacities to give them job or automatic employment in academia .
they need to use their"1st class brains" to create jobs for themselves & others,solve our numerous societal problems.what a what of brains!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by Amoto94(m): 10:56am On May 12, 2017
TheVictorious:

Really? In which school did you notice that?
Kogi State University, Anyigba.
Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by platinumtt: 12:27pm On May 12, 2017
All summed up in this short clip; we need complete overhaul of our education system in Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVVnNsdYaik
Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by otokx(m): 1:06pm On May 12, 2017
So many things don't add up in Nigeria, especially when you see a first class graduate whose name was not in the University Admission merit list.
Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by fatiaforreal: 1:07pm On May 12, 2017
This is one part of the world where we enjoy deceiving ourselves. For a long time now, education and indeed the classification of degrees have been meaningless to say the least. They have little or no bearing with the holders of the certificates.
When past questions are more important than textbooks, when students take time to study lecturers pattern of setting questions more than the contents of his lecture notes, then you can be sure we're simply turning out EXAMINATION EXPERTS rather than experts in their respective fields of study. The Industries are supposed to provide the acid test, but unfortunately, very few companies truly need graduates for their routine jobs. Where do you see most of these First Class being applied?
Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by TonySpike: 1:57pm On May 12, 2017
otokx:
So many things don't add up in Nigeria, especially when you see a first class graduate whose name was not in the University Admission merit list.

Your performance in JAMB/WAEC is not totally correlated to your eventual University degree grade. Infact, it has been shown a few years ago that a number of persons graduating with First Class degree may not have had the best WAEC/JAMB results. I will give you a case from experience: During my University days, two persons with the highest JAMB scores for admission (of course, on University merit list) did not even finish with 2:1. Guess what, one of them had to graduate two years after his set because of his massive carry-overs. Acquisition of knowledge and its application thereof has nothing to do with your past records. Academic excellence is mainly a function of your present determination and potential scholastic abilities, and not your past failures/success.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by TheVictorious(m): 2:22pm On May 12, 2017
Amoto94:
Kogi State University, Anyigba.

That is really serious. No wonder many of those schools are not transparent.
Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by fatiaforreal: 3:30pm On May 12, 2017
TonySpike:
Plenty first class haters on this thread o! The irony of it is that many first class graduates end up using their skills and knowledge in other developed countries. I know many of my first class friends that are no longer in Nigeria and are doing exceedingly well in their careers.
Just as there are countless others excelling abroad, even those withdrawn on academic grounds in Nigeria excellent over there. Don't deceive yourself. It's only those who are truly First Class, not pass questions experts, that can distinguish themselves anywhere.
Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by fatiaforreal: 3:32pm On May 12, 2017
excell over there, pls
Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by Elysianheritage: 4:04pm On May 12, 2017
lowgang:
The way students sort now ehn...
You this fraudster one day your cup go full, I assure you! He doesn't sell data o, send him at your own peril! I repeat, guy is a fraudster!!!
Re: Nigeria: Universities And A Growing Army Of First-class Graduates - Iyabo Lawal by Elysianheritage: 4:08pm On May 12, 2017
lowgang:
The way students sort now ehn...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

China Bans Exams For Six-Year-Olds As Beijing Retools Education System / Are Polytechnics On Par With Universities? / Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.