Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,100 members, 7,916,197 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 05:30 PM

Nigerians To EFCC: Name Governor Involved In Paris Fund Hotel Scandal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians To EFCC: Name Governor Involved In Paris Fund Hotel Scandal (501 Views)

BREAKING!!! Deputy Governor Involved In Ghastly Auto Crash, 4 Dead / Kano State Governor Involved In Sex tape Scandal / Paris Fund: Adamawa Government Replies Nigerian Who Asked How It Was Spent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians To EFCC: Name Governor Involved In Paris Fund Hotel Scandal by Nobody: 1:06pm On May 17, 2017
Temidayo Akinsuyi,
Lagos

As the controversy over the allegation that a sitting governor allegedly diverted N19 billion from the Paris- London loan to build an hotel in Lagos , Nigerians yesterday urged the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to make the identity of the governor public if it is sincere about waging a holistic war against corruption in the country.

Among the prominent Nigerians who spoke with INDEPENDENT are Prof. Itse Sagay, the Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (NBA), Monday Ubani, the Second Vice- President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) and Yinka Odumakin, the National Publicity Secretary of Afenifere.

An online news medium, Saharareporters had alleged that a source in EFCC disclosed that Governor Abdul’aziz Yari of Zamfara state is the governor involved in the scandal. The governor who is the chairman of the Nigerian Governor’s Forum (NGF) illegally diverted N19billion reportedly meant for “consultants” from the Paris club loan refund which had been illegally paid into the account of the Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) by Nigeria’s Minister of France, Kemi Adeosun and the Central Bank of Nigeria.

But Yari, in statement by the Head of the Media and Public Affairs of the Governors’ Forum Secretariat, Mr. Abulrazaque Barkindo, in Abuja, said that he did not own even a plot of land in Lagos and therefore could not have been or building a hotel as alleged, in reports, quoting sources from the anti-graft agency.

“Governor Abdulaziz Yari Abubakar has said emphatically that he does not even own a plot of land in Lagos not to talk of a hotel.

“Governor Abdulaziz Yari is not building any hotel in Lagos nor were any monies stolen or embezzled from the Paris-London Club refunds to states or from any other source”.

“The medium quoted the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) extensively as its source and the Nigeria Governors’ Forum is alarmed that the EFCC continues to feed the media fibs at the expense of its hard-earned reputation as the anti- graft agency that Nigerians used to respect”.

“This is perhaps why the EFCC has lost most of the high-profile corruption cases at the law courts after it had unfairly stage-managed media trials and caused their victims personal pain and public umbrage” he said.

Many Nigerians have since took to social media and the EFCC’s twitter handle demanding the name of the governor involved in the scandal.

Speaking on the development, Prof. Sagay said he is in support of those calling on the EFCC to reveal the name of the governor. According to him, even though the governor enjoys immunity and may not be prosecuted now, it will cause him a lot of shame and serve as a deterrent to others.

“ I think Nigerians are right demanding for the name of the governor. I am in total agreement with those calling on the EFCC to make the name of the governor public”.

“If I have my way, I will endeavour to make the EFCC do it by adding my voice to those calling on the EFCC to do that.

“This is because if you don’t shame them, these will continue. It is very important, though the governor enjoys immunity, this will make him and others involved in such acts to suffer public shame”.

On his part, Odumakin said it behooves on the anti-graft agency to disclose the name of the governor involved in the hotel scandal. He added that if the EFCC fails to do so, Nigerians will be left with no option than to believe those claiming that it (EFCC) has been selective in waging war against corruption I the country.

“ The EFCC must tell the public except they are behaving like a whistleblower. It is incumbent on them since they put the word out there that there is an hotel being built by a governor with Paris club refund. If they don’t do that, they would open themselves to the selective charge” Odumakin said.

Human rights lawyer, Akintunde Sanyaolu in his remark said if the EFCC can be quick to name alleged corrupt politicians in the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), it should not hesitate to do so now that a governor elected on the platform of the ruling party is involved.

“It beats me why the EFCC is keeping the name of the governor to its chest. Is it because the governor is a member of the APC? We are not even sure about that since the governor who was said to have owned the hotel has denied”.

“Failure to reveal the identity of the governor will send a wrong signal to the world on the sincerity of the anti-corruption fight. I have always been a staunch supporter of the EFCC and its chairman (Ibrahim) Magu but on this issue, I think the EFCC should do the needful as demanded by Nigerians” he said.

However, Ubani on his part urges caution and detailed investigation from EFCC before the name of the governor is made public. This according to him will prevent media trial which has characterized most of the cases being handled by the anti-graft agency.

“I will appeal to the EFCC to do proper investigation and gather provable facts before full disclosure. Media trial should be avoided this time around. Thorough investigation is more than necessary” he said.
http://independent.ng/nigerians-to-efcc-name-governor-involved-in-paris-fund-hotel-scandal/

(1) (Reply)

Edo Govt Orders Probe Into Cuffed Man Saga / The Scheming Of FEMI FANI KAYODE... / Video Of Vice President Osinbajo's Visit To Abuja Market (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.