Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,670 members, 7,938,034 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 04:01 PM

Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? (789 Views)

Parents Or Intending Parents, You Must Read This / Who's Responsibility Is It To Teach Sex Education? Parents Or Schools? / Under-aged Bride Kills Husband Over Hyperactive Libido In Plateau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 13, 2010
with the increasing rush to make ends meet and the fast pace at with we live, can we really let our parents live out their last days with us?
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by coolier(f): 8:27pm On Jan 13, 2010
Definitely yes. It's my duty to do so.
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by Sissy3(f): 6:28am On Jan 14, 2010
anything for them smiley
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by Blueice4re(f): 8:38am On Jan 14, 2010
sure why not.
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 14, 2010
i know a friend who says she cant keep her parents with her, too meddlesome. Wouldnt old people's homes suffice? at least they wouldnt be homeless.
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by Nkeon: 11:58am On Jan 14, 2010
kate29:

i know a friend who says she cant keep her parents with her, too meddlesome. Wouldnt old people's homes suffice? at least they wouldnt be homeless.

I could never put my parents in home. A lot of mistreatment goes on in those places. I don't think they could annoy me enough for me to subject them to that!
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jan 14, 2010
nkeon, you are close to your parents, that's why. some people have a bad r/ship with their parents. do you expect someone who has been raped by her father to keep him in the same house with her kids?
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by Nkeon: 12:31pm On Jan 14, 2010
kate29:

nkeon, you are close to your parents, that's why. some people have a bad r/ship with their parents. do you expect someone who has been despoiled by her father to keep him in the same house with her kids?

Actually, i've had (and to some extent still have) quite a troubled relationship with my parents.
I live with my mother and I see my dad all the time and I guess i'm close to them but they have a lot to answer for.

So I understand that some people are in situations where they can't have their parents with them but my solution would not be to put them in a home just because they are not places I could trust.
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by SALady(f): 3:06pm On Jan 14, 2010
I am starting to understand the value of having enough money now, it means you are prepared. Yes the topic is not about money but lets think about it, especially after hearing from responses about some people who do not get along well with their parents/inlaws.

I personaly would choose to keep them, my conscience wont allow me to hand them over to anyone. Now back to the issue of money if you own a house with a big yard then you can build them a cottage within the yard and hire a caregiver to look after them while you are at work, away on holiday or just needing your own space.  By the way this means medical costs and other stuff.

Ok Damn! I must just work hard 'cos we never know what tomorrow brings hey! This is one of the reasons why I need to get rich quick LOL!
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by vescucci(m): 8:08pm On Jan 14, 2010
There's simply no way any extended family member will permanently stay in my house if I can help it. Certain circumstances may call for it but just for the hell of it? Hell to da NO!
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by selencious(f): 9:08pm On Jan 14, 2010
YESSSSS!!! By the grace of God. Why not? That is the joy of them having me as a child. I would do more than that to my parents and parents in-law, I mean, I will give them the best ever, the best food, take em to the best places and make sure they live a good life. I will never watch them be in need, So help me God
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by ayomifull(f): 4:50pm On Jan 15, 2010
If i was to answer this b4 i had kids i would say yes to my mum not my mother inlaw but now i will answer yes to both.
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by foyeks2001(f): 6:07pm On Jan 15, 2010
sure y not
they are welcome anyday, anytime
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by N101: 3:33am On Jan 16, 2010
What if you don't live in the same country and there are no relatives to look after them.  What then?
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by Nobody: 6:52am On Jan 16, 2010
Yes, Without delay. Family is important to me, they have supported me from crawling to adulthood, My father still feels i need extra money and always sends money each month. My Mother in law is simply amazing. She has been there for me, prayed for me and with me, pratcically spoils me silly, makes sure am always comfortable. Without reservation I will take them all in
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by tallgal(f): 9:52am On Jan 17, 2010
Not only would I do so, I will spend extra on nannies whose job it is to take care of them and a driver to take them wherever they want. It's the least I can do, in-laws or not.
Re: Would You Keep Your Aged Parents Or Inlaws With You? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jan 17, 2010
Definitely no! I would rather support them, and ensure they live in comfortable environment. Believe me, I speak from experience. My mum is not the kind of person that you would love to have around indefinitely. Moreover, she loves to be given her own space too. My mum-in-law? Well, I made the naive mistake of taking her in with some other family members of hers for 4 yrs! Needless to say, I nearly got kicked out of my matrimonial home for my 'kind' gesture. She virtually controlled my home, my husband, everything, albeit in a subtle manner. I have learnt that God is never wrong when He said in the Bible that a man should leave his parents and cleave to his spouse. Anything short of this is plainly inviting trouble.

(1) (Reply)

Ladies How Did(do) You Know He's The One After Letting Go Of Other Good Men? / My Alcoholic Wife Beats Me-84 Yr Old Man / Create Your Life As You Want! By Changing Old Negetive Believes!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.