Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,199 members, 7,897,095 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 08:30 AM

The Sins Of Dora Akunyili - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Sins Of Dora Akunyili (1429 Views)

See Buhari's Commendation Of Dora Akunyili When She Returned $12000 / The Idea Of Dora Akunyili As Vice President 2015 What Is,your Take? / Chris Ngige Wins Anambra Central Senatorial District Ahead Of Dora Akunyili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by otukpo(f): 7:33am On Jan 15, 2010
There was this heated arguement in my office about the Information Minister, Dora Akunyili.
Some are of the opinion that she has rubbished the good name she made at NAFDAC, while some
are of the opinion that she remains a good, dt she is performing her duties well on her new job.

The difficult question there is that,
" if u think that Dora has done badly on her new job, what specific faults can we accuse her of"
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Kobojunkie: 7:46am On Jan 15, 2010
[size=13pt]
http://www.fmic.gov.ng/pages.asp?Index=195&phead=121

MISSION, VISION AND MANDATE

MISSION
To provide the citizenry with credible and timely information on government activities, programmes and initiatives; while creating an enabling technological environment for socio-economic development of the nation.

VISION
To create a proactive technology driven public information hub, with effective feedback mechanism as well as telecommunications transformation in line with global best practices.

MANDATE
To proactively inform, enlighten, and educate the citizenry on the activities, actions, policies and programmes of government and to initiate and supervise telecommunications policies in Nigeria.

The corporate goals and objectives of the Federal Ministry of Information are derived from policy directives and guidelines on management of public information as may be defined or prescribed by the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces from time to time.

FUNCTIONS OF THE FEDERAL MINISTRY OF INFORMATION

To serve as the Federal Public Information outfit responsible for professional policy-making,planning,  gathering, processing, packaging and dissemination of essential and vital information which will enhance and facilitate democratic governance of Nigeria as a Federal Republic.

To provide professional information services which will project the image and reputation of the  Federal Government and her people as a responsible   society.

To develop, design, institutionalize appropriate and generally acceptable public information and communication policies which will promote information management and control in a  democratic society.

To initiate action programmes, policies, rules and regulations which will ensure the existence and maintenance of civilized and orderly information and communication systems in Nigeria consistent  with acceptable cultural and conventional norms and ethics of the Nigerian people and world community.

To provide broad and specific guidelines for development management and operation of print and  electronic media for education, public enlightenment, entertainment and socio-economic and political  development and orientation. In this respect, the Ministry maintain appropriate relationship  with he Press and the Government.

To conduct research, surveys and studies which will enhance better understanding of the relevance,impact and approach to public information and their  implications for public policies and  programmes.

To provide general printing and publishing services to all ministries for effective public administration and to educational, business and international organizations for their use.

To represent Nigeria at International level for conferences on information.
[/size]
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by otukpo(f): 8:33am On Jan 15, 2010
Kobo

Do u think that Dora has not been doing all these and effectively?

If so, give instances.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Abagworo(m): 9:34am On Jan 15, 2010
a square peg cannot fit into a round hole.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by OAM4J: 9:57am On Jan 15, 2010
I have always maintained that Dora is in the wrong ministry and in the wrong government at the wrong time.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by okeymadu(m): 10:04am On Jan 15, 2010
Madam Dora Akunyili, in her quest to be a minister, picked up a job she wasn't cut-out for.
For someone like her who is known for forthrightness, frankness and telling the truth as it were, just as we witnessed in her days  nafdac, diplomacy is new to her.
So when I see her trying to tell us the state of health of Mr. President, I know she is only trying because one can easily detect that she is not a diplomat talker.
Even, she is yet ot make a good speech since the American government listed us among their 'state of interest'.
So, to answer the question, she has not lived up to expectation. Just as the last contributor said, she is a case of "a square peg in a round hole"
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Nobody: 10:05am On Jan 15, 2010
I brought this up some months ago and I was almost e-beaten on Nairaland.

The fact still hasn't changed. Dora has failed us all.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by DrKnow1(m): 10:06am On Jan 15, 2010
Her failure to control the bias tendency of NTA concerning the general interest of the people of Nigeria
The NTA is:

Pro-PDP and bias against other political parties

Pro- muslim and bias against other religions. Majority of newscasters in NTA Innernational are muslim northern women dressed in Hijabs thus presenting Nigeria to the whole world as an islamic state.

Pro-northerners and biased against southerners. Majority of top posts go the people from the North.

Jingles for most of the programmes including national news are made in Hausa Music.

NTA is a national establishment and its conducts should reflect that
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by queenesthr(f): 10:45am On Jan 15, 2010
Dora is just disgracing herself. The sooner she resigns from that position the better for her. She is rubbing mud on her reputation by being a part of Yaradua's government.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by bibiking1(m): 11:01am On Jan 15, 2010
She's just an embarrassment to uprightness! She should go ask Okonjo how she retained her dignity
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by otukpo(f): 11:33am On Jan 15, 2010
bibiking1:

She's just an embarrassment to uprightness! She should go ask Okonjo how she retained her dignity

Instances Plsssssssssssssss

Agreed, but we instances were she has outrightly done the opposite of the expected to convince others.

Pls
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by otukpo(f): 11:36am On Jan 15, 2010
Dr Know:

Her failure to control the bias tendency of NTA concerning the general interest of the people of Nigeria
The NTA is:

Pro-PDP and bias against other political parties

Pro- muslim and bias against other religions. Majority of newscasters in NTA Innernational are muslim northern women dressed in Hijabs thus presenting Nigeria to the whole world as an islamic state.

Pro-northerners and biased against southerners. Majority of top posts go the people from the North.

Jingles for most of the programmes including national news are made in Hausa Music.

NTA is a national establishment and its conducts should reflect that

Really, am surprised to hear all these. I hardly tune to NTA.

But come to think of it, How can Dora be pro-Hausa or Pro-Islam in this our Nigeria. mhhhhhhhh, very difficullt to comprehend.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by otukpo(f): 11:40am On Jan 15, 2010
i was given the challenge, to bring up convincing facts that Dora has stained her integrity and i want u guys to help me out.

I need glaring facts not ones that cannot be proved.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by deor03(m): 12:11pm On Jan 15, 2010
Xavier.:

I brought this up some months ago and I was almost e-beaten on Nairaland.

The fact still hasn't changed. Dora has failed us all.

Funny.

Meanwhile, WHERE IS DORA. She has not spoken for about 2 weeks
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Beaf: 12:19pm On Jan 15, 2010
deor03:

Funny.

Meanwhile,  WHERE IS DORA.  She has not spoken for about 2 weeks

A wise move in my book. The poor woman was being made to chat sh'it she didn't believe.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by otukpo(f): 12:23pm On Jan 15, 2010
deor03:

Funny.

Meanwhile, WHERE IS DORA. She has not spoken for about 2 weeks

I believe her disappearance is because she is in the dark of what is actually happening and she does't want to say sth that wld be used against her later.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by marvix(m): 12:26pm On Jan 15, 2010
@otukpo the truth is Dora is doin a good job u can't find any evidence but only speculations nd sentiments frm anti Yaradua individuals but permit me 2 giv an evidence that her name is stil intact, the other day she faced d senate on the NTA contract award saga Ayogu Eze had this to say after she gave her account he said she did nothin wrong also consider the way she handled the 3G licencing nd let us all acknowledge this fact if she had been compromised by now they would have brought her down like they did Adenike Grange. Let's all support this woman of substance bicos witout our support she can only do little nd even dat little would be discounted
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Beaf: 12:30pm On Jan 15, 2010
marvix:

@otukpo the truth is Dora is doin a good job u can't find any evidence but only speculations nd sentiments frm anti Yaradua individuals but permit me 2 giv an evidence that her name is stil intact, the other day she faced d senate on the NTA contract award saga Ayogu Eze had this to say after she gave her account he said she did nothin wrong also consider the way she handled the 3G licencing nd let us all acknowledge this fact if she had been compromised by now they would have brought her down like they did Adenike Grange. Let's all support this woman of substance bicos witout our support she can only do little nd even dat little would be discounted

I just supportted Dora above, but on that interview, man she really came a cropper. How can she make claims to being the NTA's postman to Yar Adua? She was the conduit for corruption flowing from the NTA and stopping with Yar Adua. Whether she was complicit or just harebrained is not certain, but it was a massively negative display.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 15, 2010
If i'm correct, the best Information Minister Nigeria had in the present past was Jerry Gana.

Now, Jerry Gana's tenure in office when compared to the that of Dora Akunyili is nothing to right home about. Jerry Gana stood for absolutely nothing.

Was it down to fear or favour?? You make the call.

Dora did not do herself any favour by accepting this post but in my opinion she hasn't done poorly either. i doubt, anyone would've done a better job.

Now, some of you may talk of the rebranding project as a waste of time and resources. I also have my reservations. But ever since it was launched i can't quite place my hand on anything that she may have done wrong.

Is it the Sony debacle??
That movie from South Africa??

What exactly has Dora Akunyili done wrong except trying to help the image of Nigeria by accepting to be the Spoke's Person of the federation A.KA.  Information Minister.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by desgiezd(m): 12:37pm On Jan 15, 2010
@ Otukpo

One glaring fact is that of the rigging of Ekiti State gubernatorial election re-run where Mrs. Ayoka Adebayo had to resign her position at INEC because she didnt want to work against God and against her conscience. Dora was there addressing the press and giving ultimatum to the old woman to appear from her hiding place and go back to her work. If it were to be when Dora was at NAFDAC, she would have been at the fore front praising the woman's courage but alas what we have today is a corrupted copy of the NAFDAC Dora that we used to admire.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by otukpo(f): 1:15pm On Jan 15, 2010
there is this notion that politics in Nigeria is a dirty game. And it is dirty because the good ones shy away from it leaving it for the corrupt and evil.

Now, if we want politics to be clean as it can be like in other countries of the world, it becomes necessary for the likes of Dora who we think has a good level of integrity to be part of it. If we keep castigating her, or telling her to resign, how then can she give her positive input to the service of her fatherland.

These are some of the points raised.

So is it that we don't even want the somehow upright individuals to be part of this political drama.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 15, 2010
OMO IBO:

If i'm correct, the best Information Minister Nigeria had in the present past was Jerry Gana.

Now, Jerry Gana's tenure in office when compared to the that of Dora Akunyili is nothing to right home about. Jerry Gana stood for absolutely nothing.

Was it down to fear or favour?? You make the call.

Dora did not do herself any favour by accepting this post but in my opinion she hasn't done poorly either. i doubt, anyone would've done a better job.

Now, some of you may talk of the rebranding project as a waste of time and resources. I also have my reservations. But ever since it was launched i can't quite place my hand on anything that she may have done wrong.

Is it the Sony debacle??
That movie from South Africa??

What exactly has Dora Akunyili done wrong except trying to help the image of Nigeria by accepting to be the Spoke's Person of the federation A.KA. Information Minister.

She's a Professor for God's sake . . she shd know that a Professor of Economics cannot do well as the Dean of Engineering! It just dosent work that way. It shows desperation and highlights incompetence.

What she did wrong? She came up with a wack idea. REBRANDING That in itself is a fraud. It's just like convincing people to buy an expired product, when you very well know that it's bad and kills. That's 419 in the highest places. That's a representation of lies.

And what can I say, now that her re-branding idea would have worked in our favour, she's running scared like her co-leaders. The couldnt even keep up the ultimatum. She's more interested in her luxury trips aborad than in her 'rebranding' . . . I thought she would be foaming from her mouth now at the thought of her 'Great Nation' being enlisted as a terrorost country! ha!
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by desgiezd(m): 1:29pm On Jan 15, 2010
@Otukpo

Of course, I wholly support the upright being part of politics but then the upright shouldnt take all sorts of apple thrown at them just like Dora accepted to serve as Information Minister. Mind you, its only the upright that can opt to resign when things are going contrary to their conscience.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Kobojunkie: 2:43pm On Jan 15, 2010
otukpo:

Kobo

Do u think that Dora has not been doing all these and effectively?

If so, give instances.

Well, based on the information provided, it is safe to say she is not an effective minister of information. I base this on information from the ministry's own site on what her job, and responsibilities to the people are.

Just take a look at the situation of the past two months. The country has been left to soak up rumor after rumor, when up there on her site, she makes it clear it is her ministerial duty to effectively make information available to the people of Nigeria, not participate in cover ups at the expense of the people.

MISSION
To provide the citizenry with credible and timely information on government activities, programmes and initiatives; while creating an enabling technological environment for socio-economic development of the nation.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Moves: 2:47pm On Jan 15, 2010
Not Resigning Now: that She has discovered that she has nothing to Inform Nigeria about- Where is Yar'Dua- She can't say, So if she has any integrity should she resign now especially when she cant as minister of information inform nigerians on the most inportant question in the country.

Also that "YarDua " choose to informed the nation through BBC is a slap on her face, as the damn unlessness of her position same goes for Segun Adeniyi.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jan 15, 2010
Ujujoan:

She's a Professor for God's sake . . she shd know that a Professor of Economics cannot do well as the Dean of Engineering! It just dosent work that way. It shows desperation and highlights incompetence.

What she did wrong? She came up with a wack idea. REBRANDING That in itself is a fraud. It's just like convincing people to buy an expired product, when you very well know that it's bad and kills. That's 419 in the highest places. That's a representation of lies.

And what can I say, now that her re-branding idea would have worked in our favour, she's running scared like her co-leaders. The couldnt even keep up the ultimatum. She's more interested in her luxury trips aborad than in her 'rebranding' . . . I thought she would be foaming from her mouth now at the thought of her 'Great Nation' being enlisted as a terrorost country! ha!

What exactly is wack about her idea of REBRANDING??

The main aim of rebranding is to portray the country in a different light.
If her colleagues and some Nigerians fail to see this, how is that her problem??

Am I right to say you and others labelled her idea of rebranding as fraud based on past experience of rebranding by some other rapscallions??

Have you given it a chance to work??

So the feckless senate make a stupid comment to make themselves look like they are doing something and you now want to attribute it to her??
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 15, 2010
OMO IBO:

What exactly is wack about her idea of REBRANDING??

The main aim of rebranding is to portray the country in a different light.
If her colleagues and some Nigerians fail to see this, how is that her problem??

Am I right to say you and others labelled her idea of rebranding as fraud based on past experience of rebranding by some other rapscallions??

Have you given it a chance to work??

So the feckless senate make a silly comment to make themselves look like they are doing something and you now want to attribute it to her??

The problem with rebranding is that it is a lie. It's putting the cart before the horse. You do not try to rebrand the picture of a Country without doing anything to change the country.

I refuse to give her rebranding a chance to work because if she is serious about it, she'll know that the first step is to weed out her colleagues. Then maybe people will start beleiving that we do not condone currption afterall! undecided
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by hollandis(f): 4:47pm On Jan 15, 2010
Unfortunately I am one of the few who thinks she did nothing as NAFDAC DG.To hell with that achievement.If the woman has any form of integrity she would have resigned long time ago,but the lust of power is the staying factor.
Her ''Rebranding'' project is laughable.She reminds me of SUG during my university days.

otukpo:

Some are of the opinion that she has rubbished the good name she made at NAFDAC

What good name did she make in NAFDAC
Can you read her score card for us?
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Beaf: 5:15pm On Jan 15, 2010
Ujujoan:

Any body can be anything. We must recognise that in Nigeria, we tend to place too much emphasis on papers.
If she has done badly, it is simply because she isn't a natural talent and has no clue, not because she is a science graduate.
The only advantage of a candidate having qualifications in a field like information dissemination / propaganda, is that there is an above average possibility that such a candidate will hit the ground running.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Beaf: 5:18pm On Jan 15, 2010
Ujujoan:

The problem with rebranding is that it is a lie. It's putting the cart before the horse. You do not try to rebrand the picture of a Country without doing anything to change the country.

I refuse to give her rebranding a chance to work because if she is serious about it, she'll know that the first step is to weed out her colleagues. Then maybe people will start beleiving that we do not condone currption afterall!  undecided

I have never heard it better said than that. The official name for rebranding should be whitwashing.
. . .But Dora was given a job and a brief which I am sure that with hindsight, she would have rejected. There would have been a lot of international consultancy work for her after her brilliant time at NAFDAC. She was World famous, but thats all been squandered now, with having to tell rebranded lies through clenched teeth.
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 15, 2010
I guess for once in his entire life Adedibu said the truth when he claimed Dora lobbied him for support in her quest for a ministerial position.

Dora has shown to us all that being a minister is dearest thing to her and that she is ready to sacrifice her integrity and good name to keep a hold on it.

Shame
Re: The Sins Of Dora Akunyili by angel101(f): 6:32pm On Jan 15, 2010
I had totally 4gotten abt that sad

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss / Dora Akunyili Cooks For Jonathan, Jonathan Rushed To Hospital *April Fool* / Anambra State - Peter Obi - Now Recruiting More Medical Personnel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.