Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,062 members, 7,890,498 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 02:57 PM

Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. (1356 Views)

Haiti Joins African Union / Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti / Support The Relief Efforts In Haiti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by Ikomi(m): 11:47am On Jan 15, 2010
The White House has dismissed as "silly" comments by evangelist broadcaster Pat Robertson suggesting that quake-struck Haiti was cursed.

Spokesman Robert Gibbs said he was amazed by the remarks.

During a broadcast on his Christian Broadcasting Network, Mr Robertson suggested the Haiti's earthquake was divine retribution.

He said Haiti had sworn a pact with the devil when it freed itself from French colonial rule.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8460520.stm

Can Someone please explain to me how this guy qualifies as a man of God. This is a sincere question, I just need an explanation am not taking sides.  angry
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by TayoD1(m): 12:35am On Jan 16, 2010
@Ikomi,

Happy New Year to you my kindred foe.

Can Someone please explain to me how this guy qualifies as a man of God. This is a sincere question, I just need an explanation am not taking sides.
I think the first question you should ask is this: "Is there any truth to the statement he made"?
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by yeswecan(m): 12:55am On Jan 16, 2010
Tayo-D:

@Ikomi,

I think the first question you should ask is this: "Is there any truth to the statement he made"? 

What more can i say?
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by 0hsisi: 1:00am On Jan 16, 2010
Tayo-D:

@Ikomi,

You hit the nail on the head
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by NegroNtns(m): 3:01am On Jan 16, 2010
So Pat is sayng that the enslavement of black Haitians is Godly? . . .and when they kicked the French out the land was voided of divine grace?

If this statement had come from a Imam, he would be labeled extremist. Pat Roberts is one in a line of many evangelical pastors that have made such disgusting and hateful statements against black people. There is a track record. . .Evangelicals are racists and extremists!

I do not support blacks fighting for al Qaida and I would encourage blacks under the sheperd of Pat Robertson church/es to quit in protest and find God elsewhere where their color is respected.
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by yeswecan(m): 5:30am On Jan 16, 2010
Negro_Ntns:

So Pat is sayng that the enslavement of black Haitians is Godly? . . .and when they kicked the French out the land was voided of divine grace?

If this statement had come from a Imam, he would be labeled extremist. Pat Roberts is one in a line of many evangelical pastors that have made such disgusting and hateful statements against black people. There is a track record. . .Evangelicals are racists and extremists!

I do not support blacks fighting for al Qaida and I would encourage blacks under the sheperd of Pat Robertson church/es to quit in protest and find God elsewhere where their color is respected.

It finally worked out as planed.
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by NegroNtns(m): 6:13am On Jan 16, 2010
hm, yes sir! . . .certain variables defy expectations, irrespective of their linearity or complexity, and in doing so a new envelope is established.

is this Konthe in a new name?
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by edoyad(m): 12:22pm On Jan 16, 2010
Religion is a $tup¡d enough concept, hand a stupid idea to equally $tup¡d people like Robertson, Osama and other devouts and this kind of extreme $tup¡dity erupts
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by Ikomi(m): 2:18pm On Jan 16, 2010
Tayo-D:

@Ikomi,

First of all, Happy new year to you. cheesy

Now you help answer your own question, what is the truth in the statement he made? Is it that the Haitians should have allowed the French to rule them forever and not make a pact with anything - even if it is the devil - to kick the French out, or that God is no longer forgiving.

Tayo-D you help me out. cheesy

yeswecan:

It finally worked out as planed.

I have never seen you as someone who could succinctly express he/herself, you always straddle on the fence, with your one - and most times one - line of statements.

Listen I don't give much respect to mediocres. Its not very good to stand in the middle you could get hit by vehicles coming from both sides. angry

0hsisi:

You hit the nail on the head

Hi Babes how are you doing? Hope you had a good Christmas, I missed you though. wink
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by TayoD1(m): 3:49pm On Jan 16, 2010
@Ikomi,

First of all, Happy new year to you.
Now you help answer your own question, what is the truth in the statement he made? Is it that the Haitians should have allowed the French to rule them forever and not make a pact with anything - even if it is the devil - to kick the French out, or that God is no longer forgiving.
Tayo-D you help me out.
If you know the history of the revolution, you will understand that the brains behind that revolution allegedly made a pact with the devil to help them overcome the French. If such a pact was indeed real, is it wrong for anyone to then wonder aloud why Haiti has always been visited by one calamity or the other?

As to God forgiving, that is true. But forgioveness and breaking of curses comes from understanding that it exists and appraoching God to help deal with it. I believe Pat called attention to this fact so Haitians can at least contemplate this issue and try to deal with it.

Lastly, Pat spoke from a spiritual perspective, which means the words does not necessarily lend itself to human understanding and carnal interpretation. What he said may be true and it may be not. I don't know one way or the other.
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by Ikomi(m): 4:52pm On Jan 16, 2010
Tayo-D:

@Ikomi,
If you know the history of the revolution, you will understand that the brains behind that revolution allegedly made a pact with the devil to help them overcome the French.

That is what you were told. When it comes to black folks achieving great feats, they must have made a pact with black gods, judging from the adjective, it must definitely be the devil.

When Admiral Sir John Hawkins - with all due respect, made his first voyage to Africa to capture men and women, so as to sell them as slaves, in an unknown Island, am sure he made a pact with the white God, also judging from the adjective the good God. That journey made Britain one of the richest nation in the world till tommorrow.

Am sure when he was making the pact he said "Dear Lord if you see me through this journey, and make me come back with a lot of men and women as slaves, I shall forever serve you and and praise you and I will definitely make sure I place you above the black gods."

Emm Tayo-D please start this new year on a good note. angry
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by TayoD1(m): 7:12pm On Jan 16, 2010
@Ikomi,

What you are saying is totally beside the point. One man's God is another man's devil. In the context of Pat Robertson's faith, the people made a pact with the devil. The logical implication of that action is the curse upon that land. He made the comment on a Christian broadcast to people of faith who understand what he said even if they do not all agree.

The Bible is clear that while God's mercy never ends in the lineage of the righteous, the children of the wicked will suffer the consequences of their forefather's actions up to the 3rd and 4th generation. That is an expression fo God's mercies. Assuming that is the case here as Pat Robertson obviously believes, then who are you to question his belief? He has brought attention to this issue so that people who believe like him will intercede for that nation. You really need to back off!

Robertson's expression is no different than that of many Christians in America who believe that America's prosperity and leadership in the world today is because of the faith of it's founding fathers. If they believe such, it is only logical that they will believe that other nations founded by a pact with the devil will suffer the consequences of such an action. This is so simple to see.
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by Ikomi(m): 7:56pm On Jan 16, 2010
This is how you always contradict yourself: Tell me how this two words go together:

Tayo-D:

Pat spoke from a spiritual perspective,

Tayo-D:

In the context of Pat Robertson's faith, the people made a pact with the devil. The logical implication of that action is the curse upon that land.

Now when you start merging your logic with spirituality, you see your not going to get too far.

Tayo-D:

What you are saying is totally beside the point.

It would be beside the point to you, especially when it nips you in the bud. You were going by history so I decided to follow you up on history, but since you could not hold your ground based on history you decide to shove it aside.

Tayo-D:

One man's God is another man's devil. In the context of Pat Robertson's faith, the people made a pact with the devil.

Since whatever I add would be beside the point and your the Lord of algebra, then I would have no choice but to follow you up on logic.

Your quote up there: One man's God is another man's devil. If I understand what it means - what I believe in might not necessarily be what you believe in. Then Tayo-D logically is it right to demonise what I believe in just because you don't believe in it. Now we are in the realm of logic - since I don't know which you stand for either spirituality or logic.
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by cap28: 8:00pm On Jan 16, 2010
Tayo-D:

@Ikomi,
If you know the history of the revolution, you will understand that the brains behind that revolution allegedly made a pact with the devil to help them overcome the French. If such a pact was indeed real, is it wrong for anyone to then wonder aloud why Haiti has always been visited by one calamity or the other?

let me get this right so we should spend time asking why Haitians had the temerity to free themselves from one of the most barbaric and heinous systems in human history.

As to God forgiving, that is true. But forgiveness and breaking of curses comes from understanding that it exists and appraoching God to help deal with it. I believe Pat called attention to this fact so Haitians can at least contemplate this issue and try to deal with it.

God give me strength - breaking of curses and forgiveness, so the Haitians should have remained in bondage in order not to offend their slavemasters - jeeez - this is embarrassing - are you a black man?

Lastly, Pat spoke from a spiritual perspective, which means the words does not necessarily lend itself to human understanding and carnal interpretation. What he said may be true and it may be not. I don't know one way or the other.

it gets worse - an apologist for KKK honorary member Pat Robertson - can you explain what is "spiritual" about the puerile racist statements made by Robertson - would you be supporting Robertson's statement if he had said that the Jewish Holocaust was divine retribution for past wrongs committed by Jews?
You need help!!!

anyway here is Haiti's US ambassador's response to that KKK grand wizard Robertson

http://www.prisonplanet.com/haitian-ambassador-has-a-message-for-pat-robertson.html
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by Ikomi(m): 8:04pm On Jan 16, 2010
cap28:

it gets worse - an apologist for KKK honorary member Pat Robertson - can you explain what is "spiritual" about the puerile racist statements made by Robertson - would you be supporting Robertson's statement if he had said that the Jewish Holocaust was divine retribution for past wrongs committed by Jews?
You need help!!!

May God in heaven shower you with blessings, I never even thought of that.

Hungarian Jews were killed in WWI, Jews all over Europe were massacred in WWII. Now Tayo-D going by logic, or spirituality which ever you choose, is there a curse on Jews?

I warned you to start this year on a very good note. cheesy
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by Horus(m): 9:19pm On Jan 16, 2010
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic8QlbOL774[/flash]

U.S. Government used H.A.A.R.P. to create Haiti 7.0 earthquake

Haiti is NOT cursed. In this video they explain how they create earthquake an hurricane artificially by using H.A.A.R.P.
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by TayoD1(m): 9:30pm On Jan 16, 2010
@Ikomi,

It will be good to keep this discussion civil.  If you want roforofo fight, you know I can be both a gentleman and an agbero.  I will respond in kind if you chose to go down the uncivil path.

Now when you start merging your logic with spirituality, you see your not going to get too far.
This is where you trip yourself up when you potray the notion that you understand a faith more than the people who practice it.  There is definitely logic with faith.  In this instance, it takes faith to believe in curses. Logic follows it up by figuring out that certain actions will inevitably lead to curses.  Let me give you another example.  Faith and not logic tells me that when I am in need, what I should do is give the little I have on me.  After taking such a faith-ful action, logic dictates that I should look up to God and not men while seeking for a return.  I believe that Gods will supply all my needs, but logic tells me that I should go to work as an avenue to get my needs met.  

It would be beside the point to you, especially when it nips you in the bud. You were going by history so I decided to follow you up on history, but since you could not hold your ground based on history you decide to shove it aside
Why is it not beside the point?  The one you refer to as God (Mohammed's allah), is no more than a demon to me.  So when you and I call God, an outsider will need to know that we are doing so from diferent frame of references.  The one you call God is not the one I call God.  So when Pat said what he did, you need to know where he is coming from to fully understand what he is saying.
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by TayoD1(m): 9:38pm On Jan 16, 2010
@Ikomi,

Your quote up there: One man's God is another man's devil. If I understand what it means - what I believe in might not necessarily be what you believe in. Then Tayo-D logically is it right to demonise what I believe in just because you don't believe in it. Now we are in the realm of logic - since I don't know which you stand for either spirituality or logic.
No one is demonising anybody.  So should Pat call the being he knows as the devil God just to please people like you?  Besides, who in Haitai claims that the agreement they had was with God?  I think you might want to start from there.  Do the locals themselves believe the pact was with God or with evil spirits that require drinking of human blood as part of the pact?

Hungarian Jews were killed in WWI, Jews all over Europe were massacred in WWII. Now Tayo-D going by logic, or spirituality which ever you choose, is there a curse on Jews?
Do I believe that the Jews' problems are related to their sins?  Absolutely.  Just as I believe that countries like Iran, Russia etc will be judged for what they did to Jesus' brethren.

A lot of these issues are things that can be discussed and understood only by Christians and careful study of the Word of God (notice I didn't say devil or demons).  This is why Pat Robertson directed his statement at Christians on a Christian programme.  The sole purpose was to get people to respond not only with their pockets, but also on their kneew.  Trying to misrepresent his intentions is mischievous at best.
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by Ikomi(m): 10:19pm On Jan 16, 2010
I have been civil I don't understand what you mean by If you want roforofo fight, you know I can be both a gentleman and an agbero cheesy

Tayo-D:

The one you refer to as God (Mohammed's allah), is no more than a demon to me. So when you and I call God, an outsider will need to know that we are doing so from diferent frame of references. The one you call God is not the one I call God. So when Pat said what he did, you need to know where he is coming from to fully understand what he is saying.

Prejudice or hypocrisy what should we call this, who has seen God, to tell his name?

Tayo-D:

@Ikomi,
No one is demonising anybody.

You have just done that with one statement: The one you refer to as God (Mohammed's allah), is no more than a demon to me.

Tayo-D your a very funny individual, your invariable telling me to shut up it is only when I agree to you that is when am civil.

Tayo-D:

Besides, who in Haitai claims that the agreement they had was with God?

Besides, who in Haiti of authority claims that the agreement they had was with the Devil? This is why I always say you only believe what you want true or not.

Tayo-D:

A lot of this issues are things that can be discussed and understood only by Christians and careful study of the Word of God (notice I didn't say devil or demons). This is why Pat Robertson directed his statement at Christians on a Christian programme. The sole purpose was to get people to respond not only with their pockets, but also on their kneew. Trying to misrepresent his intentions is mischievous at best.

I have heard all sorts in the name God. Yeah that is the reason why most Chinese don't understand much, they are not mainly Christians but they are running there economy so well so as to loan the predominant christian nations some money.

We could as well say Japan is cursed because of the frequent occurrence of earthquakes out there and tsunami, although they are not mainly of christian population and yet they are holding on.

I asked you a question about Jews, but you would not answer, I guess that is what made me uncivil.

Okay let us agree with you for the sake of civility. What more can I say, your the Judge, the jury and the prosecutor, so you see I don't have a chance.
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by Kobojunkie: 4:59am On Jan 17, 2010
Horus:

[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic8QlbOL774[/flash]

U.S. Government used H.A.A.R.P. to create Haiti 7.0 earthquake

Haiti is NOT cursed. In this video they explain how they create earthquake an hurricane artificially by using H.A.A.R.P.

ROFLMAO!!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

Admin, when the heck are we going to get better laughing emotes . . . . ROFLMAO!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by Ikomi(m): 6:50pm On Jan 17, 2010
@ Tayo-D

Breaking News:

People are been found alive under rubbles Tayo-D, and since the Haitians made a pact with the Devil as a good christian like you would believe, we can't call this discovery of people under rubbles after days of the earthquake a miracle, because God cant show mercy now after causing such destruction.

So if we should think logically, we may conclude that after the Devil finished dealing with Haitians, he decided to show mercy on them, you know his got a heart as well.

Therefore in conclusion logically, the devil is merciful.

Tayo-D how about that for logic undecided

Am not very sure of my logic, just checking.

This things are not so straight foward especially when a Lord like you can combine history, spirituality and logic, your kinds are very rare. cheesy
Re: Pat Robertson - Haiti Is Cursed. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jan 18, 2010
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article24412.htm

Dear Pat Robertson,

Satan Writes a Letter to Pat Robertson

January 16, 2010 -- "Star Tribune" - -I know that you know that all press is good press, so I appreciate the shout-out. And you make God look like a big mean bully who kicks people when they are down, so I'm all over that action. But when you say that Haiti has made a pact with me, it is totally humiliating. I may be evil incarnate, but I'm no welcher.

The way you put it, making a deal with me leaves folks desperate and impoverished. Sure, in the afterlife, but when I strike bargains with people, they first get something here on earth -- glamour, beauty, talent, wealth, fame, glory, a golden fiddle.

Those Haitians have nothing, and I mean nothing. And that was before the earthquake. Haven't you seen "Crossroads"? Or "Damn Yankees"?

If I had a thing going with Haiti, there'd be lots of banks, skyscrapers, SUVs, exclusive night clubs, Botox -- that kind of thing.

An 80 percent poverty rate is so not my style. Nothing against it -- I'm just saying: Not how I roll.

You're doing great work, Pat, and I don't want to clip your wings -- just, come on, you're making me look bad. And not the good kind of bad. Keep blaming God. That's working. But leave me out of it, please. Or we may need to renegotiate your own contract.

Best, Satan

more on good ol pat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Robertson_controversies

laim that some denominations harbor the spirit of the Antichrist

On January 14, 1991, on The 700 Club, Pat Robertson attacked a number of Protestant denominations when he declared: "You say you're supposed to be nice to the Episcopalians and the Presbyterians and the Methodists and this, that, and the other thing. Nonsense. I don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Antichrist."[2] He has never recanted this statement, though he has supported the election of certain Episcopalians.

Views concerning feminism, homosexuality, abortion and liberalism

Robertson is opposed to abortion and same-sex marriage.[5][6] He has described feminism as a "socialist, anti-family political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."[7]

Many of Robertson's views mirror those of fellow evangelical pastor/activist Jerry Falwell, who made frequent appearances on The 700 Club. He agreed with Falwell when Falwell stated[8] that the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks were caused by "pagans, abortionists, feminists, gays, lesbians, the American Civil Liberties Union and the People For the American Way."

After public outcry regarding the dialogue, which was conducted via television monitor and took place only days after the attacks, Robertson claimed that his earpiece was malfunctioning, and that he was unaware of what he was actually agreeing with at the time. Falwell himself later said he had misspoken.

On the June 8, 1998 edition of his show, Robertson denounced Orlando, Florida and Disney World for allowing a privately sponsored "Gay Days" weekend. Robertson stated that the acceptance of homosexuality could result in hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, terrorist bombings and "possibly a meteor."[9] The resulting outcry prompted Robertson to return to the topic on June 24, where he quoted the Book of Revelation to support his claims. The first hurricane of the 1998 Atlantic hurricane season[10], Hurricane Bonnie, actually turned away from Florida and instead damaged the rest of the east coast. The area hardest hit by the hurricane was the Hampton Roads region,[11], which includes Virginia Beach[12], where the Robertson's 700 Club is broadcast from [13] cheesy. While other hurricanes did hit Florida,[10] none of them hit Disney World.[14]

While discussing the Mark Foley scandal on the October 5, 2006 broadcast of the show, Robertson condemned Foley saying he "does what gay people do".[15]

Financial ties to Charles Taylor and Mobutu Sese Seko

Robertson repeatedly supported former President of Liberia Charles Taylor in various episodes of his 700 Club program during the United States' involvement in the Second Liberian Civil War in June and July 2003. Robertson accuses the U.S. State Department of giving President Bush bad advice in supporting Taylor's ouster as president, and of trying "as hard as they can to destabilize Liberia."[16]

Robertson was criticized for failing to mention in his broadcasts his $8,000,000 (USD) investment in a Liberian gold mine.[17] Taylor had been indicted by the United Nations for war crimes at the time of Robertson's support.

Prosecutors also said that Taylor had harbored members of Al Qaeda responsible for the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania. According to Robertson, the Liberian gold mine Freedom Gold was intended to help pay for humanitarian and evangelical efforts in Liberia, when in fact the company was allowed to fail leaving many debts both in Liberia and in the international mining service sector. Regarding this controversy, Richard Land, head of the Southern Baptist Convention's public policy said, "I would say that Pat Robertson is way out on his own, in a leaking life raft, on this one."[18]

Robertson has also been accused of using his tax-exempt, nonprofit organization, Operation Blessing, as a front for his own financial gain, and then using his influence in the Republican Party to cover his tracks. After making emotional pleas in 1994 on The 700 Club for cash donations to Operation Blessing to support airlifts of refugees from Rwanda to Zaire, it was later discovered, by a reporter from The Virginian-Pilot, that Operation Blessing's planes were transporting diamond-mining equipment for the Robertson-owned African Development Corporation, a venture Robertson had established in cooperation with Zaire's dictator, Mobutu Sese Seko, whom Robertson had befriended earlier in 1993. According to Operation Blessing documents, Robertson personally owned the planes used for Operation Blessing airlifts.

In 1993, Mobutu was denied a visa by the U.S. State Department after he sought to visit Washington, D.C. Shortly after this, Robertson tried to get the State Department to lift its ban on the African leader.

An investigation by the Commonwealth of Virginia's Office of Consumer Affairs determined that Robertson "willfully induced contributions from the public through the use of misleading statements and other implications" and called for a criminal prosecution against Robertson in 1999. However, Virginia Attorney General Mark Earley, a Republican whose largest campaign contributor two years earlier was Robertson himself, intervened, accepting that Robertson had made deceptive appeals but overruling the recommendation for his prosecution.[19] No charges were ever brought against Robertson. "Two years earlier, while Virginia's investigation was gathering steam, Robertson donated $35,000 to Earley's campaign — Earley's largest contribution."

viva pat robertson  cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Poor Foremost Mathematician Who Rejected $1,000,000 / Scotland To Split From Uk. CAN PRO-INDEPENDENCE PARTY BE FORMED IN NIGERIA? / Cote D'ivoire: French Puppet Allassane Ouattara In A Big Shame! Very Low Voters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.