Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,830 members, 7,889,750 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 07:38 PM

Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady (1817 Views)

As EFCC Goes After Daughter, Turai Yar’adua Runs To Obasanjo For Help / Turai Yar'adua Arrives Vienna For Atomic Energy Conference / Is Yar'adua A Tribalistic President? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by woye77: 1:19am On Jan 16, 2010
Turai Yar”Adua: A silent but influential First Lady
National News Jan 15, 2010 By Chioma Gabriel, Deputy Editor
She is one First Lady that is seen but hardly heard.
Yet, she is perceived to be very influential in government and over her husband, President Umaru Musa Yar’ Adua.
Part of the speculations about her was that certain decisions believed to be taken by President Yar’Adua were indeed taken by her.

It is believed in several quatres that because of President Yar’  Adua’s failing health, his wife Turai holds sway on his behalf on many issues. For instance, during the last cabinet reshuffle, it was reported that ministers who were desperate to retain their portfolios lobbied the first lady.

She is believed to be very influential in the appointment of  the former Director-General of the National Action Committee on AIDS, Prof. Babatunde Osotimehin, as the Minister of Health.

Before this time, Oshotimehim was said to be contending for the post of Director-General of National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration.

Turai Yar’Adua whose pet project is cancer eradication was said to be interested in Osotimehin’s  appointment to the health ministry because of the way he handled NACA  anti-HIV/AIDS campaigns held in the six geo-political zones of the country.

The First Lady who  married Umaru Yar’Adua in 1975, and they have five daughters and two sons is also perceived to have influenced the President in several decisions although the President denied same when asked during a media pally whether his wife influences him.

The President’s denial that his wife influences him has not however changed the common opinion about her. In the Villa , the First Lady is perceived to be  fully in charge of many of the decisions being taken. She is perceived to be  the President’s closest adviser and in the present era of his absence, she is said to be fully in charge.

In the event of Yar’Adua’s inability to continue in office, the former Kebbi State governor Senator Adamu Aliero, who is now the Minister of Federal Capital Territory  is listed as a  likely vice-president. Turai was reported to have  played a role in his  emergence  as the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory.

It was also reported that the First Lady was responsible for the deployment of a long-serving  minister, Dr. Hassan Lawal, to the Ministry of Works and Housing from his previous Labour portfolio.

Lawal, a Minister of Labour in the last administration, combined his portfolio with the supervision of the Ministry of Health, when Prof. Adenike Grange and her deputy, Mr. Gabriel Adiuku, were made to resign on allegation of financial misappropriation.

State governors also allegedly courted her friendship in their bid to remain  close to the President.
Sources  alleged  that  these  governors used  their wives to court Turai’s friendship by advising  them   to initiate some projects that would demand inviting the First Lady to their states. Apart from President Yar’Adua denying the allegation of his wife’s influence, her  spokesman, Mr. Lawan Bakori also dismissed them  as mere rumours which were never substantiated.

Turai Yar’ Adua  was born in the Katsina Metropolis in July 1957, and she spent her formative years at the Government Girls Secondary School, Kankiya.

Later on, she enrolled at the Katsina College of Arts, Science and Technology, Zaria, where she reportedly emerged as the best student in 1980.

She obtained a Bachelor of Arts (Education) in Language from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, in 1983. She had previously worked as a teacher before she became Katsina State First Lady when Yar”Adua was elected governor in 1999.

She came into national reckoning in 2007 when her husband was elected president of the federal republic of Nigeria. Her  antecedents  affirm  that she is committed to family life, love, charity and a strong faith in the Almighty God.
Hajiya Turai Umar Musa Yar’ Adua, was later  made the National Goodwill Ambassador for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (MNCH) in Nigeria.
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Katsumoto: 1:38am On Jan 16, 2010
Influentiual in what way? Who gives a fork about her? Is her influence not related to the position of her husband? Will she wield so much influence when Yaraslow is no longer president? She is seen to be influential because that dullard is weak. Imagine a Nigerian man being controlled openly by his wife.
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Kobojunkie: 1:49am On Jan 16, 2010
@Poster, I think it is time Nigerians learn to fight the battles they ought to. The woman is NO BODY's HEADACHE. No be sheFORCE una go carry her skeleton husband go put for office. Nigerians allowed it and now we want to attack the wife?? Come on!!! Time we grow up and learn to fight battles that we ought to.
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by yeswecan(m): 1:57am On Jan 16, 2010
I don't know why Nigerians decided to paint Turai black. This is just ridiculous
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Katsumoto: 2:02am On Jan 16, 2010
yeswecan:

I don't know why Nigerians decided to paint Turai black. This is just ridiculous

She did that herself. She is just a first lady, Why is she making appointments? She even attended a scientific conference on atomic energy as Nigeria's representative in Switzerland. What does she know about atomic energy?
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by yeswecan(m): 2:26am On Jan 16, 2010
Katsumoto:

She did that herself. She is just a first lady, Why is she making appointments? She even attended a scientific conference on atomic energy as Nigeria's representative in Switzerland. What does she know about atomic energy?

What are you saying Mr. Man?  you don't want to compare her to Stella Stella Obasanjo in terms of conferences, do you? the people badmouthing her don't even know the meaning of atomic energy AND a good percentage of Nigeria population don't know her by face.  Stella Obasanjo is more popular than Turai by far
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Kobojunkie: 3:22am On Jan 16, 2010
Katsumoto:

What proof do you have that she made appointments? How do you know she did not go to this meeting to rep an organization rather than the country as we assume? By the way, no be YAR ADUA go give am that kind power? How do we think in this country please. You ELECTED a nincompoop and now you feel it is OK for you to attack his wife? See how we dey like to flex power were we no suppose to. You don finish with the man who you elected to do NOTHING for you?
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by tundewoods(m): 10:41am On Jan 16, 2010
No doubt Turai is influential and relevant in the present chess game called Nigeria grin
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Frank101: 10:42am On Jan 16, 2010
Turai for president 2011
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Frank101: 10:48am On Jan 16, 2010
We only hear news when it stale and decide to escalate it when it becomes inconsequential.Late Gani(may his soul rest in peace) said this a long time ago before he died and Nigerians didn't care.Now the Margret Thatcher of Nigeria has her iron grip on us assisted by a deadly cabal who are profiteering from the siege.
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Nobody: 10:53am On Jan 16, 2010
Stella was more influential
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by baccu(m): 10:55am On Jan 16, 2010
just passing,  naija go survive
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Mublock90: 12:13pm On Jan 16, 2010
The Only reason Turai is Silent is because her English is that Bad!
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Katsumoto: 3:33pm On Jan 16, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What proof do you have that she made appointments? How do you know she did not go to this meeting to rep an organization rather than the country as we assume? By the way, no be YAR ADUA go give am that kind power? How do we think in this country please. You ELECTED a nincompoop and now you feel it is OK for you to attack his wife? See how we dey like to flex power were we no suppose to. You don finish with the man who you elected to do NOTHING for you?

You may get away with making condescending remarks to others but you wont get away with it with me. Were you there when I was voting? Who elected Yaradull? Was he not foisted on Nigeria by the corrupt political class? I WILL attack his power hungry bitch if I so choose. Is she not one of those clutching at straws by not allowing Jonathan to take over because she is power drunk? What organisation is she representing at an Atomic conference? What NGO in Nigeria has any affiliations with international Atomic bodies? Is she not a languages teacher? What does that have to do with Atomic energy? Desist from making general remarks; if you do not know me, do not associate me with any negative actions. You are asking me for proof?
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by DisGuy: 4:00pm On Jan 16, 2010
yeswecan:

I'm always wondering the same thing too, all these newspapers perceived, believe reliably gathered rubbish the keep posting everywhere

Katsumoto:

what appointments has she made? have you seen her in the PDP boardroom?
did she attend the conference on behalf of nigeria or because of her cancer charity

One thing I know is she is maximising her 'position' to gather funds for her NGOs
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by DisGuy: 4:04pm On Jan 16, 2010
Katsumoto:

You may get away with making condescending remarks to others but you wont get away with it with me. Were you there when I was voting? Who elected Yaradull? Was he not foisted on Nigeria by the corrupt political class? I WILL attack his power hungry naughty woman if I so choose. Is she not one of those clutching at straws by not allowing Jonathan to take over because she is power drunk? What organisation is she representing at an Atomic conference? What NGO in Nigeria has any affiliations with international Atomic bodies? Is she not a languages teacher? What does that have to do with Atomic energy? Desist from making general remarks; if you do not know me, do not associate me with any negative actions. You are asking me for proof?

evidence?

She was there as the head of her cancer charity, the health ministry also happened to be there
together with the reps from power

What does that have to do with Atomic energy?
Cancer treatment
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by olanajim(m): 4:06pm On Jan 16, 2010
let usbe serious. There is nothing wrong in Turai influencing her husband.

When mar'am babangida was there, we didnt vilify her. Maybe because ibb was a health dictator. Any way. Next time, you Nigerians must know who to elect as president
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Katsumoto: 4:09pm On Jan 16, 2010
Dis Guy:

evidence?

She was there as the head of her cancer charity, the health ministry also happened to be there
together with the reps from power

Cancer treatment

Did you think about that before you typed it or you were so bent on defending her that you forgot to think. While the other countries were represented by credible and relevant scientists, Nigeria was represented by a language teacher and officials from the ministry of health? Thats why Nigeria does not progress. Don't come back with another lame and pathetic post.
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Katsumoto: 4:11pm On Jan 16, 2010
olanajim:

let usbe serious. There is nothing wrong in Turai influencing her husband.

When mar'am babangida was there, we didnt vilify her. Maybe because ibb was a health dictator. Any way. Next time, you Nigerians must know who to elect as president

We villify our leaders for lacking vision and integrity and yet we as citizens continue to excuse their failings. Who didn't villify Mariam? Your post does not make sense; it makes you appear to be connected to the corrupt politiucal elite.
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Iranoladun(f): 4:12pm On Jan 16, 2010
Leave Turai Yar'adua alone. She's a child of circumstance.
"The society create the crime, the criminal only commits it"
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Fhemmmy: 4:13pm On Jan 16, 2010
I wont call someone like her influential, i rather call her poisonous and dangerous, and she must be a woman without a brain with greed head, cos if she love her husband and the nation, she would have told the dude to hand over the power, but NO, she wanna hang on to "First lady" title at the expense of her husband's life and the downturn of the nation.
So what is influential about someone like that ?
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Katsumoto: 4:17pm On Jan 16, 2010
Fhemmmy:

I wont call someone like her influential, i rather call her poisonous and dangerous, and she must be a woman without a brain with greed head, cos if she love her husband and the nation, she would have told the dude to hand over the power, but NO, she wanna hang on to "First lady" title at the expense of her husband's life and the downturn of the nation.

Thank you
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by DisGuy: 4:18pm On Jan 16, 2010
Katsumoto:

Did you think about that before you typed it or you were so bent on defending her that you forgot to think. While the other countries were represented by credible and relevant scientists, Nigeria was represented by a language teacher and officials from the ministry of health? Thats why Nigeria does not progress. Don't come back with another lame and pathetic post.
You mean all our scientist there werent credible or relevant? even the DG of nigeria nuclear xx
Seems like you just want to follow what you read in newspapers, have you asked yourself why the IAE visited the site of the proposed cancer centre and why they promised to collaborate with their partner to train nigerian medical personal?

Radiation oncologists are physicians skilled in the use of radiotherapy, which plays a positive role in the care and treatment of about half of all cancer patients. The incidence of cancer is rising in developing countries, and the IAEA has intensified its programmes and work with partner organizations in the field.

What appointment has she made?
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by DisGuy: 4:19pm On Jan 16, 2010
Fhemmmy:

And you fhemmy knows she hasn't right?
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Katsumoto: 6:50pm On Jan 16, 2010
Dis Guy:

You mean all our scientist there werent credible or relevant? even the DG of nigeria nuclear xx
Seems like you just want to follow what you read in newspapers, have you asked yourself why the IAE visited the site of the proposed cancer centre and why they promised to collaborate with their partner to train nigerian medical personal?

Radiation oncologists are physicians skilled in the use of radiotherapy, which plays a positive role in the care and treatment of about half of all cancer patients. The incidence of cancer is rising in developing countries, and the IAEA has intensified its programmes and work with partner organizations in the field.

What appointment has she made?

You are yet to answer my question; what qualification does she have that entitles her to be at that conference? Running a cancer-related NGO is not enough qualification. Not unless you believe that attendance is all that is required at an atomic conference and that participation is not required. What would she have contributed at the conference? Her language skills?
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Nobody: 1:32am On Jan 17, 2010
Count on Kobo & Co to jump in here & offer blind support to the continual enslavement of Nigerians. We all know they're parties in interest, & they will surely reap what they sow (Evil). We also know that Turai Yaradua is the principal character in the bizarre comedy being acted out in Nigeria at the moment.
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by DisGuy: 1:46am On Jan 17, 2010
ziddy:

Count on Kobo & Co to jump in here & offer blind support to the continual enslavement of Nigerians. We all know they're parties in interest, & they will surely reap what they sow (Evil). We also know that Turai Yaradua is the principal character in the bizarre comedy being acted out in Nigeria at the moment.

How please tell us how, you mean Turai that cant speak English (not my words o) is busy bullying Dr Goodluck Jonathan and Mr Ogbulafor, Bankole etc etc

southerners and their paranoia, what we are basically saying is a woman that have any role per se in the constitution is puling the wool our very educated representative?
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Katsumoto: 1:53am On Jan 17, 2010
Dis Guy:

How please tell us how, you mean Turai that cant speak English (not my words o) is busy bullying Dr Goodluck Jonathan and Mr Ogbulafor, Bankole etc etc

southerners and their paranoia, what we are basically saying is a woman that have any role per se in the constitution is puling the wool our very educated representative?

Why are you contradicting yourself? You have argued on the nobility of her assignment in switzerland and now you postulate that she can't even speak english. So what the Bleep was she doing in Switzerland? By the way, you are yet to respond to the question I asked earlier. Well I suppose you have kind of answered the question by alluding to the fact that a woman who can not speak English was at a conference in Europe. Now tell me, was the conference in Hausa?

What educated representatives are you referring to? Do you mean that bunch of unenlighted, visionless, and corrupt bunch? Nigga pleaseeeeeee

Right about now, you sound like a political apologist.
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by DisGuy: 2:04am On Jan 17, 2010
Just using the same word people used to describe her, how can you say she's ruling the country then at the same time
say she is uneducated

all in all she is being blamed on a lot of things which is illogical to me, a woman that has no constitutional role is appointing ministers? she is preventing her husband from resigning? she is the one preventing Jonathan from taking over, does this really sound normal

we are actually making this woman seem more relevant than she actually is

What i am really saying is we are wasting time blaming the wrong person (she is not elected/ selected)
we should be concentrating on the AGF and representatives

IAEA website

The First Lady, Hajiya Turai Yar’Adua, yesterday in Vienna, Austria, called on the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to promote the use of nuclear medicine and radiotherapy in cancer diagnosis and management.

Mrs Yar’Adua spoke at the 53rd Regular Session of the General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

She said promoting the use of nuclear medicine and radiotherapy techniques would assist developing nations like Nigeria to develop their capacity for cancer control.

The First Lady said many developing countries in Africa were faced with massive infrastructure challenges with direct impact on the quality of life, a development, she said, threatens the attainment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by 2015.

Mrs Yar’Adua said Nigeria was committed to her National Cancer Control

Programme as manifested in the approval and implementation of two major projects in the health sector in the current triennium cycle (2009-2011) of the technical co-operation programme of the IAEA

"These include the development and expansion of nuclear medicine facilities in 10 tertiary hospitals, as well as strengthening the existing radiotherapy facilities in six of them.

"These facilities, when fully functional, are expected to provide the very much-needed services to ameliorate the suffering of cancer patients and also function as veritable referral centre," she said.

Mrs Yar’Adua hoped that her proposed International Cancer Centre in Abuja (ICCA) would benefit from the expert services and advice of the IAEA’s Programme of Action on Cancer Therapy (PACT).
the nation
Re: Turai Yar'adua: A Silent But Influential First Lady by Katsumoto: 2:09am On Jan 17, 2010
Dis Guy:

Just using the same word people used to describe her, how can you say she's ruling the country then at the same time
say she is uneducated

all in all she is being blamed on a lot of things which is illogical to me, a woman that has no constitutional role is appointing ministers? she is preventing her husband from resigning? she is the one preventing Jonathan from taking over, does this really sound normal

we are actually making this woman seem more relevant than she actually is

What i am really saying is we are wasting time blaming the wrong person (she is not elected/ selected)
we should be concentrating on the AGF and representatives
IAEA website
the nation

You alluded to the fact that she does not speak English; did she speak in Hausa? I do not trust Naija journalists; they can print anything. You may choose to believe what you want; she is one of those responsible for preventing the handing over to Jonathan.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Think The White American Surely Like This? / Ataoja Of Osogbo, Oba Oyewale Matanmi, Joins Ancestors / Nigeria Was Founded On Deceit, Greed And Lies.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.