Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,499 members, 7,975,025 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 02:59 PM

The Latest: Man, 44, Arrested In Manchester Bombing Inquiry - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / The Latest: Man, 44, Arrested In Manchester Bombing Inquiry (365 Views)

Man Released After 44 Years In Prison For Rape He Didn't Commit In US (Pics) / Legit Chidi: Man Calls For Bombing Of Abuja Mosque After New Zealand Shootings / Man, 44, Rapes Boy, 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Latest: Man, 44, Arrested In Manchester Bombing Inquiry by OkNaijaComNg(m): 11:37am On May 27, 2017
British police say a 44-year-old man has been arrested in Manchester in connection with the suicide bombing at an arena in the city that killed 22 people.

Greater Manchester Police said the man was detained Friday night in Rusholme, an inner city area of Manchester, “on suspicion of offenses contrary to the terrorism act.”

A police statement didn’t provide any details about why the man was arrested, but noted that the department’s investigation of Monday’s bombing after an Ariana Grande concert was “fast-moving.”

The man is one of nine who is being held for questioning in England following Monday’s attack. Two other people were taken into custody and then released.

7:15 p.m.

American singer Ariana Grande says she will return to Manchester for a benefit concert to raise money for attack victims and their families.

A suicide bomber killed 22 people and wounded scores of others minutes after Grande’s concert at the Manchester Arena ended on Monday night.

Grande tweeted a statement that says “I’ll be returning to the incredibly brave city of Manchester to spend time with my fans and to have a benefit concert in honor of and to raise money for the victims and their families.”

She said details are still being finalized and she will “have details to share … as soon as everything is confirmed.”

Grande also said “my heart, prayers and deepest condolences are with the victims of the Manchester attack and their loved ones.”

5:10 p.m.

The police chief in Manchester says there has been an increase in reported hate crimes since the suicide bombing at a pop concert in the city.

Greater Manchester Police Chief Ian Hopkins said Friday there is no place for discrimination and hatred in Manchester and urged people to report any incidents.

Hopkins said he has reached out to faith leaders to try to calm the situation.

He also says there has been a lot of progress in the investigation, but much work remains to be done.

Hopkins says 12 locations are still being searched.

4:55 p.m.

The mother of Martyn Hett, who was one of the 22 people killed in Monday’s Manchester suicide bombing, says she feels no hate or anger toward the suspected attacker. She’s taking solace knowing her son died doing something he loved.

Figen Murray said in an interview Friday that the 22-year-old British man named as the bombing suspect doesn’t deserve her energy.

Murray says: “I’m staying with my positivity for Martyn, and that’s what I hold on to.”

Hett, who was 29 years old, was believed to have been at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester Arena with a friend.

His mother says she treasures a selfie a woman took with her son at the show and the woman’s message that “he loved being there” and “really enjoyed himself.”

Murray says, “You know he died, and his last moments were experiencing what he enjoyed, so that’s you know…”

Hett had a large social media following and was remembered for taking to Twitter to promote his mother’s stall at a craft fair after she told him that no one was buying anything.

The appeal led to many people buying his mother’s knitted products

4:28 p.m.

A British train company says that a station in Manchester damaged in Monday’s bombing attack will remain closed for the foreseeable future.

Northern rail said Friday that Manchester Victoria Station “suffered structural damage that still needs to be properly assessed and repaired. Until the work is completed, the station will remain closed.”

The station directly links to Manchester Arena, where a British man of Libyan descent exploded a suicide bomb that killed 22 people and wounded scores of others after an Ariana Grande concert.

Northern Railway says train services “that would normally run into Manchester Victoria are unable to do so,” meaning “significant disruption” for trains in and around Manchester.

3:55 p.m.

Members of the mosque attended by the Manchester suicide bombing suspect have been warned that police will be informed if there are signs anyone in the community has been radicalized.
Source: https://oknaija.com.ng/latest-man-44-arrested-manchester-bombing-inquiry/

(1) (Reply)

Married In School, But Single At Home / Cooking Gas Plant In Gra? / Why It Was Hard For Police To Arrest Me – Evans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.