Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,865 members, 7,889,886 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 11:53 PM

Goal.com Says The Truth About Super Eagles And Amodu After Benin Match - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Goal.com Says The Truth About Super Eagles And Amodu After Benin Match (1369 Views)

NFF Hires Jay-Jay Okocha And Amodu For AFCON Qualifier / . / Argentina Knows Nothing About Super Eagles - Coach Sabella (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goal.com Says The Truth About Super Eagles And Amodu After Benin Match by deb(m): 7:56pm On Jan 17, 2010
Nigerian Comment: Doomsday Postponed!
Shuaibu Amodu can breathe a sigh of relief temporarily after his less than impressive ‘Super’ Eagles managed to scrape out a dour single-goal victory over their regional neighbours, the Squirrels of Benin. But can any Nigerian truly assert that they too can breathe freely?

Many football fans would no doubt answer in the negative, as the display of the team was only typical of the level of competence of the man in charge.  With this victory, Amodu and his gang of Chicken-breeders have only succeeded in pushing forward doomsday one game further.

Though there was a slight improvement in the team’s play relative to the first outing against the current champions, the Pharaohs of Egypt, the team still maintained that incoherent and untidy attitude. The lack of technical play in the team was all too evident, and the team was unable to manage one single counter-attack during the entire game. They were static, with no fluidity amongst the various departments; reflective of Amodu himself, who wore a perplexed expression throughout the game.

The Nigerian team’s showing was as interesting as watching paint dry. The side provided little exciting soccer artistry, if they still remember what that is, and it was just the individual determination from certain players that kept the side going.

Without any form of prejudice, I boldly assert that the better team lost on the day. The Beninoise team were unfortunate not to have won the game, and a little more experience on their side would have come in handy. Had Stephane Sesegnon and Rasaq Omotoyossi been a tad more clinical in their finishing, the Eagles would have broken through new lows.

Danny Shittu was undoubtedly the best player on the Nigerian side, closely followed by Dickson Etuhu, who was doing the quiet and yet dirty job in the middle of the pack. If these two players had not instilled their individual brilliance on the day, Nigerian fans would have been singing a much different song now.

Much like the first game, Yakubu Aiyegbeni still continued to show his poor form, missing arguably the best chance of the evening for the Nigerians. My grandmother would have tucked away the sitter he threw away early in the first half.

His penalty kick that gave the team the game's goal was also far from impressive, and only the poor judgment from the Beninoise goalkeeper ensured the ball lazily strolled into the back of the net.

We should remain truthful to ourselves at this moment. The Nigerian team is still in tatters, and the short-term remedy lies in a total overhaul of the technical bench

http://www.goal.com/en/news/815/african-nations-cup/2010/01/17/1748461/nigerian-comment-doomsday-postponed
Re: Goal.com Says The Truth About Super Eagles And Amodu After Benin Match by semid4lyfe(m): 8:08pm On Jan 17, 2010
Most articles and commentaries on Nigerian Football at goal.com are written by Sam Audu, a Nigerian who is an Amodu critic and obviously doesn't like Amodu so I'm not surprised by the very harsh, unprofessional and personal tone of this commentary. It's as if the writer has some personal issues with Amodu and wants him to fail. Having said this, I agree our win yesterday was untidy and less than convincing.

Sam Audu should go and jump inside the Lagoon.
Re: Goal.com Says The Truth About Super Eagles And Amodu After Benin Match by deb(m): 8:12pm On Jan 17, 2010
You are wrong. see the link I gave. The story was written by somebody called Awenlimobor Sylvester

These guys are professionals who live and breath sports. I think they should know a little about what they do or don't you think so?
Re: Goal.com Says The Truth About Super Eagles And Amodu After Benin Match by hollandis(f): 8:15pm On Jan 17, 2010
The issue is not the messenger but the message.The Nigerian team since time immemorial has been a team well noted for warming themselves into the heart of .any football fan,ngerians and non nigerians alike.It is just lamentable that the solution is within reach but due to sinister motives the coach appears to be blind  and the Nff appears to be evil to recruit such pitiful human being who is hell bent on destroying our status.
Re: Goal.com Says The Truth About Super Eagles And Amodu After Benin Match by chidyke77(m): 9:38pm On Jan 17, 2010
@hollandis
you got it right.
Re: Goal.com Says The Truth About Super Eagles And Amodu After Benin Match by 9ijaprince(m): 10:22pm On Jan 17, 2010
We only needs God's intervention in super eagles. Their play make me sick.
Re: Goal.com Says The Truth About Super Eagles And Amodu After Benin Match by Iyineda(m): 11:20pm On Jan 17, 2010
9ijaprince:

We only needs God's intervention in super eagles.   

There we go again. .
I still wonder why "God" only works for the SE in the eyes of some people out there.

Anyhow, I want to see the outcome of our Afcon campaign. Only at the end will I pass down judgment. tongue
For now anyway, the team is far from convincing. But they aren't my biggest disappointment in the tournament. Eto'o fils' Cameroon takes the cake. lipsrsealed
Re: Goal.com Says The Truth About Super Eagles And Amodu After Benin Match by chidichris(m): 1:51pm On Jan 20, 2010
Most articles and commentaries on Nigerian Football at goal.com are written by Sam Audu, a Nigerian who is an Amodu critic and obviously doesn't like Amodu so I'm not surprised by the very harsh, unprofessional and personal tone of this commentary. It's as if the writer has some personal issues with Amodu and wants him to fail. Having said this, I agree our win yesterday was untidy and less than convincing.

Sam Audu should go and jump inside the Lagoon.

@semid4lyfe ,
i feel like throwing up whenever i read things like this.
pls what is lies abt the post above?
nigerians like u prefer soft lies to harsh truths.
no matter who the author is, the most important issue here shld be if the write up is true.
when cnn or anyother media house report real situations in the country, ur type go abt saying they have come to destroy our country as if there is anything left to be destroyed.
u have succeeded in bringing that madness into sports.
even blind nigerians know and outsiders are asking questions yet u are among the few nigerians who have refused to see anything wrong with amodu.
Re: Goal.com Says The Truth About Super Eagles And Amodu After Benin Match by SCYLLA: 1:53pm On Jun 16, 2010
This is what we all know about amodu all these bloody lagerback haters lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

65 Years Old Woman, Never Ran Before, Runs For The First Time And Wins Marathon / CRAZY Football Facts / Checkout This Funny Snooker Board In Tiv Land,Benue State(Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.