Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,530 members, 7,968,494 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 08:23 AM

My Thoughts On The Recent Skirmishes Between The Police And Navy In Calabar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Thoughts On The Recent Skirmishes Between The Police And Navy In Calabar (382 Views)

Military, Police And Navy Lay Siege At Mazi Nnamdi Kanu Home Ahead Of May30th / Nigerian Navy In Massive Redeployment Of Top Officers •those Affected And Their / Photos From The Police And Navy Clash In Calabar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Thoughts On The Recent Skirmishes Between The Police And Navy In Calabar by Sugarcious(m): 11:00am On May 31, 2017
Social media went haywire on Tuesday when some news blogs and facebook users in calabar went online to report the tussle between the police and the navy. The incident according to news reports started around 5pm when some naval officers refused to stop when the traffic light showed the red light. At that point the police traffic officer in charge went over to the naval officers and in stead of the naval officers to admit their fault they went further to beat up the police officer. In response the police called for backup and the Navy also did same. Eventually a full blown conflict arose and government properties were destroyed. Sadly some people were critically wounded.

Now this is my candid opinion on this matter.

1. It is only in Africa you'll hear such news reports of military and para military agencies fighting themselves. The military always consider themselves as Semi gods. Once a person puts on a military uniform in Nigeria he expects everyone around him to worship him. As a result some of them find it very difficult to accept their mistakes and short comings. In this case, the naval officers clearly broke the law. But due their inflated self ego they find it an insult on their "uniform" to accept correction from a low "life" traffic officer. Imagine what could have happened if at that moment when they refused to obey the traffic light and accidentally another vehicle came. You can imagine the terrible accident that would occur. And they would still blame the innocent driver. Nigerians need to understand that no one is above the law. In this case it is for the benefit of everybody.

2. Police officers on the other hand are not left out. In most cases around calabar where I stay, the only time the police pull you over is when they want to collect bribe and I'm sure that was the impression the naval officers had and which resulted in the violent outburst.

3. Yesterday they was robbery going on during the skirmish between the police and the navy. The Police only concentrated on fighting the naval officers while their core duty of maintaining peace and order was neglected.

4. The Navy dealt heavily with the police. It is a thing of embarrassment to the Nigerian arm forces in general. We have militants terrorizing our waters and on the other side we have navy officers terrorizing citizens. If their energy were channeled to fighting militants and pirates in the sea at least things would have been better. In fact, in developed countries you hardly see a naval officer in the streets on uniform.

All the officers involved in that embarrassment should be punished and disciplined. They are other things more important than fighting like thugs in uniform.

Lalaticlala Mydd44 take over

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Story Of A Biafran And A Chinese Man / Igbos Notice To Quit Order. / Video: Fulani Cows Take Over School In Edo State. This Has Got Everyone Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.