Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,925 members, 7,872,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:54 AM

Wow!!!man Fined $4,000 For 'liking' Defamatory Posts On Facebook - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Wow!!!man Fined $4,000 For 'liking' Defamatory Posts On Facebook (522 Views)

Uber driver strips down to after he was fined by airport tow truck driver / 16-year-old Nigerian Girl Commits Suicide, After Suicidal Posts On Twitter / Pastor Obinim Fined By Court For Flogging Young Lovers Over Sex. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wow!!!man Fined $4,000 For 'liking' Defamatory Posts On Facebook by teegrams(m): 6:01pm On May 31, 2017
A court in Switzerland has convicted a man on several counts of defamation after he "liked" libelous comments on the social media platform.

The court in Zurich found that the man indirectly endorsed and further distributed the comments by using the ubiquitous Facebook (FB, Tech30) "like" button.

The man, who was not named in the court's statement, "liked" several posts written by a third party that accused an animal rights activist of antisemitism, racism and fascism.

In court, the man was not able to prove that the claims were accurate or could reasonably be held to be true.

"The defendant clearly endorsed the unseemly content and made it his own," a statement from the court said.

The court fined the man a total of 4,000 Swiss francs ($4,100). He has the right to appeal his sentence.

Facebook said the case had "no direct link" to the company, and a spokesperson declined to comment.

The case is believed to be the first time a court has interpreted a "like" as an explicit endorsement of a post.

Users can now trigger "Love," "Haha," "Wow," "Sad," and "Angry" buttons.

Facebook spent more than a year preparing the "reactions." They worked with sociologists, consulted focus groups and conducted surveys to determine which emotions would make the final cut.

Critics say the range of reactions needs more work because it doesn't include important emotions such as fear and disagreement.

Culled from CNN

Source:http://rayoonline.com/wowman-fined-4000-liking-defamatory-posts-facebook/

Re: Wow!!!man Fined $4,000 For 'liking' Defamatory Posts On Facebook by dessz(m): 6:12pm On May 31, 2017
so because I use my freedom of expression and liked a post,I go go jail www.nairaland.com/attachments/5418340_20170410103641_jpeg398aa010ed54f96b5c3eb0b9fe5a3ce1
Re: Wow!!!man Fined $4,000 For 'liking' Defamatory Posts On Facebook by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:27pm On May 31, 2017
dessz:
so because I use my freedom of expression and liked a post,I go go jail

There is no such thing as freedom of expression... Anything you say/do can be used against you. If you don't believe it, then next time you see Buhari's convoy, insult his family lineage, and see how they will deal with you.lol

1 Like

Re: Wow!!!man Fined $4,000 For 'liking' Defamatory Posts On Facebook by Mcreloaded(m): 6:39pm On May 31, 2017
Double wahalah for the posteeee of the like what of the poster . posteeee and poster should be held liable
Re: Wow!!!man Fined $4,000 For 'liking' Defamatory Posts On Facebook by Oladipo1166(m): 8:37pm On May 31, 2017
booked

(1) (Reply)

New Scam In Town. Dont Be A Victim. / Police Arrest Kidnappers Of Five Nigerian University, Polytechnic Students / Breastfeeding Mom Sues Colleagues For Filming Her While She Breastfed Her Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.