Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,990 members, 7,899,528 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 02:18 PM

Photo 20-year-old Columbian Bruce Mayrock Died To Protest Genocide In Biafra. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Photo 20-year-old Columbian Bruce Mayrock Died To Protest Genocide In Biafra. (1968 Views)

Joey Saladino Donates His Testicle To Protest Trump’s Impeachment / 100 Days Of Hell, Remembering The Rwanda Genocide In Harrowing Photos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photo 20-year-old Columbian Bruce Mayrock Died To Protest Genocide In Biafra. by Bondesniger(m): 12:00am On Jun 02, 2017
For 20-year-old Columbia University student named Bruce Mayrock of Westbury, New York who on May 29, 1969, set himself on fire in front of the United Nations Building in New York City to protest genocide in Biafra. He died the next day, May 30th, 1969.

For 20-year-old Columbia University student named Bruce Mayrock of Westbury, New York who on May 29, 1969, set himself on fire in front of the United Nations Building in New York City to protest genocide in Biafra. He died the next day, May 30th, 1969.

He died for me.

Like so many others

He could've asked,

"What concerns me?"

But he didn’t.

He was moved by distended abdomen

Of the children of Biafra

Full of kwoshiokor

And our indifference.

He climbed down his Ivy League chair

Into the valley of the United Nations

Wrote on a large cardboard sign:

"You must stop the genocide, please."

But nobody listened

Nobody stopped

Nobody paused

To hear the cries of the little children of Biafra

If I were born months before

If I were weaned from my mother's breasts

I could've been one of those children

Whose pictures shamed the cover of Life.

He died for me.

He didn't have to.

But he did

Because nobody listened

And nobody is listening, even now.

Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo is the author of “This American Life Sef.”

4 Likes

Re: Photo 20-year-old Columbian Bruce Mayrock Died To Protest Genocide In Biafra. by ugofr(f): 12:10am On Jun 02, 2017
RIP
Re: Photo 20-year-old Columbian Bruce Mayrock Died To Protest Genocide In Biafra. by Nobody: 12:17am On Jun 02, 2017
RIP CUTE GUY

1 Like

Re: Photo 20-year-old Columbian Bruce Mayrock Died To Protest Genocide In Biafra. by Nobody: 12:31am On Jun 02, 2017
Bondesniger:

He died for me.

Like so many others

He could've asked,

"What concerns me?"

But he didn’t.

Full of kwoshiokor

And our indifference.

But nobody listened

Nobody stopped

Nobody paused

He died for me.

He didn't have to.

But he did

Because nobody listened

Then why not set yourself on fire too? Sacrifice yourself for your people just like the Mayrock guy?
Re: Photo 20-year-old Columbian Bruce Mayrock Died To Protest Genocide In Biafra. by flamingREED(m): 4:49am On Jun 02, 2017
God does not forget wickedness,

A thousand years may pass.

One day it has to be righted by restitution, retribution or reconciliation.

The God of all flesh may wink for a while,
But He'll do right. He'll demand justice. He won't forget.
Re: Photo 20-year-old Columbian Bruce Mayrock Died To Protest Genocide In Biafra. by Bondesniger(m): 8:39am On Jun 06, 2017
GoroTango:
Then why not set yourself on fire too? Sacrifice yourself for your people just like the Mayrock guy?
you are just too dumb to be a Nigerian
Re: Photo 20-year-old Columbian Bruce Mayrock Died To Protest Genocide In Biafra. by jpphilips(m): 5:06pm On Apr 19, 2020
Bondesniger:

He died for me.

Like so many others

He could've asked,

"What concerns me?"

But he didn’t.

Full of kwoshiokor

And our indifference.

But nobody listened

Nobody stopped

Nobody paused

He died for me.

He didn't have to.

But he did

Because nobody listened

You must be ret@rded to copyright Joshua Waitzkin's picture to sell your stup!dity

2 Likes

Re: Photo 20-year-old Columbian Bruce Mayrock Died To Protest Genocide In Biafra. by Hyperchi(m): 6:08pm On Apr 19, 2020
jpphilips:

You must be ret@rded to copyright Joshua Waitzkin's picture to sell your stup!dity

We have too much fools on this site, as if u paid to comment.

(1) (Reply)

Exotic Dancers Made $3 Million In A Strip Club From The Super Bowl / Berlusconi Jailed For Four Years / Donald Trump: God's Whip For Black People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.