Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,382 members, 7,974,579 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 07:55 AM

Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over (1532 Views)

Catalan Parliament Declares Independence From Spain / Photos:over One Million People Rally For Catalan To Gain Independence From Spain / Uruguay Becomes The First Country In The World To Sell Cannabis In Pharmacies. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by onila(f): 1:49am On Jun 08, 2017
other African countries
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Desyner: 1:56am On Jun 08, 2017
Yes it has. It would av bin part of Nigeria and by now southern Ghana - where they av oyel - would just be another southern Nigeria state under the grip of parasitic .....
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Ogalanyachieze: 2:00am On Jun 08, 2017
Non
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by freakthingz(m): 2:23am On Jun 08, 2017
No they're just lucky lord lugards protractor no join them with zoo

Also I don't think they had a civil war....most african countries that did are in bits
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Ogalanyachieze: 5:48am On Jun 08, 2017
Non
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by iamord(m): 6:20am On Jun 08, 2017
those are for the records. what matters is now! what can you do to transform yourself to be dominant. no special preference. 1957 or 1960 won't pay the bills . it's long gone .it's about strategic positioning
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by onila(f): 12:33pm On Jun 08, 2017
undecided
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 11:56am On Jun 09, 2017
Punt/Damat/Axum/Abyssinia/Ethiopia never been colonized. cool
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 7:12am On Jun 10, 2017
@onila Ghana was not "the first to gain independence"(whatever you mean by that). It was not even the "first" in West Africa. Ever heard of Liberia? Liberia gained independence in 1847 (a full 110 years before Ghana). What sort of advantage did that give them over some other West African States for instance the Ghana you mentioned?
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 7:19am On Jun 10, 2017
@onila Ghana was not "the first to gain independence"(whatever you mean by that). It was not even the "first" in West Africa. Ever heard of Liberia? Liberia gained/declared independence in 1847 (a full 110 years before Ghana). What sort of advantage did that give them over some other West African States for instance the Ghana you mentioned? N.B. Liberia was never colonized by any power. It was more or less owned by the American Colonization Society and the Maryland Colonization Society.
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 7:38am On Jun 10, 2017
@Hati13 isn't Punt today part of Somalia(now Puntland autonomous region of Somalia)? If so,then it was colonized by Italy until the early 1940s and later joined the Union of Somalia at indepence in 1960. Infact,I believe it was part of what was then Italian Somaliland(part of a larger Italian East Africa).

1 Like

Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 7:40am On Jun 10, 2017
@Hati13 isn't Punt today part of Somalia(now Puntland autonomous region of Somalia)? If so,then it was colonized by Italy until the early 1940s and later joined the Union of Somalia at indepence in 1960. Infact,I believe it was part of what was then Italian Somaliland(part of a larger Italian East Africa). Only Ethiopia was never colonized.

1 Like

Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 8:31am On Jun 10, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@Hati13 isn't Punt today part of Somalia(now Puntland autonomous region of Somalia)? If so,then it was colonized by Italy until the early 1940s and later joined the Union of Somalia at indepence in 1960. Infact,I believe it was part of what was then Italian Somaliland(part of a larger Italian East Africa). Only Ethiopia was never colonized.
Sorry for my mistake. lipsrsealed
Thanks for the correct. smiley
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 9:15am On Jun 10, 2017
@Hati13 no need to be sorry. We all mistakes.

1 Like

Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 10:24am On Jun 10, 2017
@Op This should help you: Below are the first 7 African States to become independent entities. I did not include Ethiopia for very obvious reasons: 1)LIBERIA-1847 2)EGYPT-1922 3)S.A.-1931(Republic 1961) 4)LIBYA-1951(Dec 31) 5)TUNISIA-1956 6)MOROCCO-1956 7)SUDAN-1956 coolGHANA-1957(they clearly ain't the "first" as you can see. Very far from it) This is off the top of my head people. Feel free to agree or disagree with the list.
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by O0XYGEN: 11:23am On Jun 10, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@Op This should help you: Below are the first 7 African States to become independent entities. I did not include Ethiopia for very obvious reasons: 1)LIBERIA-1847 2)EGYPT-1922 3)S.A.-1931(Republic 1961) 4)LIBYA-1951(Dec 31) 5)TUNISIA-1956 6)MOROCCO-1956 7)SUDAN-1956 coolGHANA-1957(they clearly ain't the "first" as you can see. Very far from it) This is off the top of my head people. Feel free to agree or disagree with the list.
You are full of ignorance.
Ghana was the first in the sub Sahara of Africa to gain independence.
Egypt, Libya,Tunisia, Sudan ,Morocco are not sub Saharan countries.
S.A got their true independence in the 1980's .
Liberia was not a colony/country so how did they get independence?
Which year was Liberia colonized?
You better go away with your bogus analysis
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by O0XYGEN: 11:34am On Jun 10, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@onila Ghana was not "the first to gain independence"(whatever you mean by that). It was not even the "first" in West Africa. Ever heard of Liberia? Liberia gained/declared independence in 1847 (a full 110 years before Ghana). What sort of advantage did that give them over some other West African States for instance the Ghana you mentioned? N.B. Liberia was never colonized by any power. It was more or less owned by the American Colonization Society and the Maryland Colonization Society.
Look at how you've contradicted yourself.
You said Liberia was not colonized yet u r again saying they were the first to gain independence in west africa. How can a place which was not colonized gain independence?
You need a lot of thinking to understand why Ghana is seen as the first country to gain independence in sub Sahara Africa not this Kindergarten analysis u r making.
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 10, 2017
@O0XYGEN This is something I started studying as a kid which is long before you stepped out of you diapers. Now,Liberia was never colonized but in order for the British and French who saw it as nothing more than a quasi or semi colony of the US to deal with it as an equal in the diplomatic sphere,it had to officially declare independence in the july of 1847 and its first president was Joseph Jenkins Roberts(c'mon man it is not enough to make silly comments! READ!) Secondly,Ghana was never the first to gain independence in "Sub Sahara" Africa because Sudan and SA became independent years before that and they are both Sub-saharan States. How the heck did SA become independent in the 80s?!(nigger you are so dumb you mistook the end of apartheid and white rule for SA's independence). You clearly don't know your history so next time you see a topic like this walk away and don't try to expose your sour ignorance by trying hard to sound like you know stuff. Comprehend? Olodo.
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by O0XYGEN: 12:55pm On Jun 10, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@O0XYGEN This is something I started studying as a kid which is long before you stepped out of you diapers. Now,Liberia was never colonized but in order for the British and French who saw it as nothing more than a quasi or semi colony of the US to deal with it as an equal in the diplomatic sphere,it had to officially declare independence in the july of 1847 and its first president was Joseph Jenkins Roberts(c'mon man it is not enough to make silly comments! READ!) Secondly,Ghana was never the first to gain independence in "Sub Sahara" Africa because Sudan and SA became independent years before that and they are both Sub-saharan States. How the heck did SA become independent in the 80s?!(nigger you are so dumb you mistook the end of apartheid and white rule for SA's independence). You clearly don't know your history so next time you see a topic like this walk away and don't try to expose your sour ignorance by trying hard to sound like you know stuff. Comprehend? Olodo.
You are the dumbest dude I've ever met.
Sudan was part of Egypt.
Google and see if Sudan was not part of sub Sahara Africa before the independence of Ghana.
You are too dumb.
And you also don't know South Africans marks the end of Apartheid in the 90s as their independence day?
Read and understand before you start writing trash about things you know nothing about.
Mumu
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jun 10, 2017
@O0XYGEN So to you Sudan is not a sub-Saharan Africa country? Says a whole lot about your level of education and awareness. Contact Wikipedia and the Library of Congress to rid you of your ignorance. You know WHAT I HATE the most about the fact that you quoted me? You were so proud and arrogant in your ignorance and I abhor ignorance especially when it is blatant. Let me educate you further,sir: Any country outside of these-Egypt,Morocco,Libya,Algeria & Tunisia-is deemed to be sub-Saharan. Why is that so? Because they lie north of the Sahara as against south(hence the prefix "sub"wink. Got that? Glad I could play teacher to you. Meanwhile READ! READ!! READ!!! Fare 'ee well.

1 Like

Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by O0XYGEN: 1:17pm On Jun 10, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@O0XYGEN So to you Sudan is not a sub-Saharan Africa country? Says a whole lot about your level of education and awareness. Contact Wikipedia and the Library of Congress to rid you of your ignorance. You know WHAT I HATE the most about the fact that you quoted me? You were so proud and arrogant in your ignorance and I abhor ignorance especially when it is blatant. Let me educate you further,sir: Any country outside of these-Egypt,Morocco,Libya,Algeria & Tunisia-is deemed to be sub-Saharan. Why is that so? Because they lie north of the Sahara as against south(hence the prefix "sub"wink. Got that? Glad I could play teacher to you. Meanwhile READ! READ!! READ!!! Fare 'ee well.
Read what I wrote and stop spewing trash.
Before the independence of Ghana Sudan was not a sub Saharan state.It was part of Egypt!!!!
Are you this dumb?
And from the time England and Egypt ceded them,they've been at war with themselves until 2011 when that country was divided into two.
Don't just read but try to understand it as well.
Kwasia.
Now go and change the fact that Ghana was the first sub Saharan country to first gain independence with these your kindergarten claims
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jun 10, 2017
@O0XYGEN Come on puppy,don't complicate issues here. Sudan was a part of Anglo-Egyptian Sudan from the 1880s(although it had been part of Egypt from the days of Ali Pasha-do you know who that is?-as far back as the mid 1820's) until 1956 when it became independent of British rule. Ghana on the other hand became independent in the May of 1957 (roughly a year later). So when you say Ghana was or is the 1st sub-Saharan country to gain independence you turn the facts up-side-down since Sudan lies to the south of the Sahara which makes it a SUB-Saharan country. As for the South African independence hullabaloo,I will refer you to the same GOOGLE you like to make use of. Come back here and call me out if you google search it and see anything different from 1961 which funny enough was the year South Africa became a republic. Whatever the blacks like,let them celebrate. 1990 simply marked the end of white rule. SIMPLE. Facts Are Sacred.
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jun 10, 2017
O0XYGEN:

Before the independence of Ghana Sudan was not a sub Saharan state.It was part of Egypt!!!!
Are you this dumb?
And from the time England and Egypt ceded them,they've been at war with themselves until 2011 when that country was divided into two.
Don't just read but try to understand it as well.
Kwasia.
Now go and change the fact that Ghana was the first sub Saharan country to first gain independence with these your kindergarten claims
O0XYGEN:

Before the independence of Ghana Sudan was not a sub Saharan state.It was part of Egypt!!!! Mansakhalifa's reply:
You dunce! I hope you are not trying to say that Ghana gained independence before Sudan cos that is never gonna be true in a million years. Sudan was seperated from the Anglo-Egyptian Sudan contraption when Britain granted Sudan independence in 1956. Get that through your skull. You must be a Ghanaian. The most ignorant one at that.

1 Like

Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 10, 2017
@O0XYGEN I hope you are not trying to say Ghana(1957) became independent before Sudan(1956)? Cos that will make a mockery of your whole education. And don't try to mask your ignorance with the whole sub-Saharan bu##sh!t. I ain't buying it no more. Besides Sudan and South Sudan stopped "fighting each other" in 2005 and not 2011 as you erroneously stated. 2005 was the year in which the 2nd Sudanese Civil War(aka Anya nya II ended). Quit arguing with this guy and accept the fact that you know nothing!
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 10, 2017
Sudan-technically-wasn't a sub-Saharan country before Ghana gained independence by virtue of the fact that it was a part of Anglo-Egyptian Sudan but today it is as it is now an independent country. So,tomorrow when the question pops up again,I will still state emphatically that Sudan was the first sub-Saharan Africa State to achieve independence regardless of what slow men like you might wanna think or say. Because,facts remain facts.
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jun 10, 2017
@O0XYGEN let me help you out here since it has become quite clear to me that you can't read. Here is what @Op actually said/posted: "Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence(and she added: Over other African countries)." Nobody mentioned sub-Saharan Africa here. Not even @OP. You just managed to somehow derail this thread with your ignorance. Congratulations.
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jun 10, 2017
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jun 10, 2017
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jun 10, 2017
@
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jun 10, 2017
@O0XYGEN If this is how you chicken out of every debate,then I daresay I am hugely disappointed in you. Debates are meant for the intelligent and articulate not those who just hurl insults at others when they are to be losing simply because they want to mask their ignorance and shortcomings. Here is a bit of warning for you kid,next time you see me comment on a topic like this,just try to walk on by. Cause if you DON'T,I will make you deactivate your NL account and I ain't kidding. This path chose me,I did not choose it. I consider it an insult for someone with a non-existent IQ like you to enter into a debate with me on a topic like this. Next time,steer clear. Good night.
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by O0XYGEN: 10:04am On Jun 11, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@O0XYGEN let me help you out here since it has become quite clear to me that you can't read. Here is what @Op actually said/posted: "Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence(and she added: Over other African countries)." Nobody mentioned sub-Saharan Africa here. Not even @OP. You just managed to somehow derail this thread with your ignorance. Congratulations.
What a shameless bratt.
You started your bogus argument by saying even Liberia gained independence before Ghana.
After putting some sense into your hollow head you've deserted Liberia for Sudan and still making useless noise.

I will provide you with the list of African countries and their dates of "independence ".
And I will proof to you why Ghana is seen as the true sub Saharan African to get independence first.
Independence Timeline:

1. Liberia 26 July 1847 (American)
2. South Africa 31 May 1910 Britain
3. Egypt 28 February 1922 Britain
4. Ethiopia 5 May 1941 Italy
5. Libya 24 December 1951 Britain
6. Sudan 1 January 1956 Britain/Egypt
7. Morocco 2 March 1956 France
8. Tunisia 20 March 1956 France
9. Ghana 6 March 1957 Britain

Now let's take the countries listed above Ghana one after the other

1.Liberia

Liberia was established as the home of freed African-American slaves, so it isn’t exactly considered a colony.

2. South Africa.

The second country on the list, South Africa, was a British Colony but became independent in 1910. For South Africa, which developed the system of apartheid, having a White or minority led government often disqualifies them from such distinctions.
Theyve taken the end of the apartheid in the 90s as their true independence

3.Ethiopia

Although Ethiopia is often noted for never being “colonized”, Italy invaded Ethiopia in 1935-36 (Abyssinian Crisis) which ushered in Italian settlers who stayed for six years. During this time, Emperor Haile Selassie was deposed and exiled until 1941. However, Ethiopia is often considered an occupied and not colonized territory.

4.Egypt, Morrocco and Tunisia are often disqualified because they are north of the Sahara.

Now the Sudan you are ignorantly making noise about

Another significant country in this debate that is often overlooked is Sudan. It is often argued that Sudan is the true country in Sub-Saharan Africa worthy of the distinction. Albeit physically being south of the Sahara though, Sudan is often disqualified by those that have historically classified it as a North African country. Others have disqualified Sudan because of internal instability that arose after its independence.

The recent secession of South Sudan though, may make a South Sudanese claim to being the first sub-Saharan African country to gain independence a more a compelling case for those that considered Sudan a North African state.

However, since South Sudan is commemorating its recent 2011 date as its official independence day, its claim may be weakened.

Even the Sudan's themselves commemorate 2011 as their official independence day and an outsider like you is making noise .
Re: Does Ghana Have Any Advantage Being The First Country To Gain Independence Over by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jun 11, 2017
@O0XYGEN Let me guess you spent the whole night scavenging for this article written by some Malawian(can't remember her name now) and you suddenly felt bold enough to come back and confront me? You did not even have the decency to put up the full article where it was clearly stated that Ghana's claim to being the 1st African/sub-saharan Africa State to gain independence is dubious(or did you). You simply took those parts of the article. First of all,Liberia was NEVER AN AMERICAN COLONY. Get that through your thick skull. It was as a matter of fact a property or experiment of the American Colonization Society,a group founded by the Quakers,abolitionists and ex-slave owners in the early parts of the 19th century. Yes,Liberia was never colonized by any world power at the time but the fact remains that it was ruled from its foundation in 1821 until the declaration of independence in 1847. I am mighty sure you 've never heard of names like Jehudi Ashmun and Buchanan(not the former US president)...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fox News Tells Truth About Founding Fathers Of United States Being Black (vid) / Mugabe Legacy: White Farmer Whose Tobacco Plantation Was Seized / Donald Trump Returns Back To Social Media With His New $1b Truth Social Platform

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.