Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,088 members, 7,887,168 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 11:19 PM

5 Steps On How To Make An Elevator Pitch That Turns A Stranger Into An Investor - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / 5 Steps On How To Make An Elevator Pitch That Turns A Stranger Into An Investor (630 Views)

I Need a loan or an Investor / I Need An Investor To Partner With Me - Plantain Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Steps On How To Make An Elevator Pitch That Turns A Stranger Into An Investor by zazawaga(m): 3:31pm On Jun 09, 2017
I attended the first of the Techpoint inspired series and for a first try that it was, the humans of Techpoint indeed put all hands on deck and it was indeed a wonderful experience. As mentioned at the point of registration, the event featured an elevator pitch for startup founders who wanted funding for their business. True to the organizers’ claim, there were some angel investors who were willing to give money out to anyone who could communicate their startup as a viable venture; caveat – communicate.

Unfortunately but not surprisingly, a handful of these founders couldn’t communicate the value of their business to the investors which in turn accrued to their loss of the golden opportunity to get funding for their business. Of course, it begged the question; if you can’t sell to investors, how do you sell to prospective customers or clients?

Whether it’s a chance to attract a new client or gain interest from a potential investor, all small-business owners must be able to effectively explain their products or services in a few short sentences. The more quickly and eloquently you can get across what you do, the more likely you’ll find yourself with a new customer.

“If you can't say who you are and what you do in a few sentences, you don't know who you are and what you do and neither will anyone else,” – Roxana Bahar Hewertson

It’s imperative that as a business owner, you become conscious of the fact that people don't have the patience or interest to listen long. You either get their attention quickly or you lose them. Every day and every time, know that a pithy elevator pitch at the tip of your tongue is incredibly important,

Like the people that were randomly picked at Techpoint inspired, you never know when you’ll run into someone whose time you could never get before, but now, because of a certain circumstance, you have the opportunity.

Try the following steps to develop a succinct elevator pitch that will leave a lasting, positive impression and of course, get you the money.

1.Introduce yourself.

Start the elevator pitch with a brief, easy-to-absorb sentence that includes your name, your company name and the service you provide. For instance, “I’m Lola Smith; my company is Smith Express, and we offer courier service.”

2.Identify the problem your company solves.

What is the pain the potential client may have that your service can solve? What's in it for the listener to resonate with? Why should the person care what you do? Focus on the listener and the value of your proposition for him or her.

“Rather than focusing on what you have or do, relate your services and what you offer to the person with whom you’re speaking.” - Mike Muhney

3.Announce your promise.

What product or service will you provide the client? Be clear on the results the person can expect, but avoid selling. Engage your listener by letting your passion for your work and your vision shine through. It’s important to be authentic and honest and have a higher purpose than just selling your stuff.

4.Offer proof and a plan.

How have you delivered on your promises prior to the pitch? What have you accomplished, and what have people said about your work? Testimonials are a great way to set a good record, and when you offer proof, do it with one or two killer facts—and they must be facts—and an anecdote that crystallizes everything you just said as real.

Finish your pitch by offering a plan of action for delivering on your promise. Make it as personal as possible to fit whomever you're talking to and his or her business.

5.Know when to stop and listen.

This is crucial to your pitch as you cannot afford to miss the stop button. If at any point in your pitch you find that the listener is tuning out, stop talking. Don't ignore body language. Stop immediately if you know the person isn't engaged, and change the subject to him or her. The fact that you had the sensitivity and tact to stop and listen will leave a good impression about you and your business.

I hope I’ve been able to convince you that as from this very moment of reading this article, you will carry with you (off hand of course) everything about your business that will help you successfully sell your business to clients and of course, get you the funding you need.

Kindly share this post if you found it useful

Follow on social media twitter: @insidifyhq Facebook: Insidify.com

https://discovery.insidify.com/5-steps-to-making-an-elevator-pitch-that-turns-a-stranger-into-an-investor

1 Like

Re: 5 Steps On How To Make An Elevator Pitch That Turns A Stranger Into An Investor by zazawaga(m): 3:33pm On Jun 09, 2017
For more hot Job and Career advice go to www.discovery.insidify.com
Thank me later
Re: 5 Steps On How To Make An Elevator Pitch That Turns A Stranger Into An Investor by zazawaga(m): 12:26pm On Jun 12, 2017
cc
lalasticlala
mynd44

(1) (Reply)

The Best Investment For Your Business That Will Grant More Cash. / . / Take Advantage Of Drop In Price Of Bitcoin And Earn At Least 5000 Satochi Everyd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.