Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,479 members, 7,897,984 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 03:27 AM

MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) (23783 Views)

Edo Assembly Crisis: I’ll Not Issue Fresh Proclamation - Obaseki / President Buhari Directs Gov. Obaseki To Issue New Proclamation Of State Assembl / Buhari Signs Proclamation Proscribing IPOB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by SHAKABOOM: 1:47pm On Jun 12, 2017
The speech wey put ma guy for everlasting gbese
Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by olajizz01(m): 1:52pm On Jun 12, 2017
akpamuomenka:
A coward that couldn't finish the fight he started. You want to rule Nigeria with your decayed teeth.

You forget that Hausa Fulani is your slave masters only brave minds like Ojukwu knows how to handle them.

Your coward brothers even abandoned you the same way they abandoned Kwara State. Anybody celebrating your cowardice must get h/her brain examined.

They have also abandoned this Oba in the hands of their slave masters, when he dies they'll also declare public holiday for him. YEYE DEY SMELL.
Your big head Ojukwu who ran to cote d ivoire and left u behind at the mercy of Yoruba commander who killed hell out of u people was not a coward,he pleaded for pardon several yrs b4 Baba iyabo who killed hell out of his people eventually gave him presidential pardon and his entitlement(postrating b4 his enemy 4 forgiveness),or abino dilector who feign sickness and started parading himself as your and abandon all his fellow criminals in kuje.who is now a bloody coward between the great MKO who stood on his ground and these your dual cowards called leader.YEYE DEY SMELL.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by Butterworth: 1:56pm On Jun 12, 2017
Adebowale89:

won't AU and UN take u guys serious when u quit anything that has to do with Nigeria and her people

wait for referendum till thy kingdom come. u people are just coward who are only agitating without a course

Igbo are clown and no clown can ever be brave. why won't I die for my course and I will expect people to see me as hero?

Has the Federal government of Nigeria quits collecting revenues from South East ?

Think with your BRAIN and not with your ASSHOLE

Don't allow your hate for a particular people be clouds your sense of Judgement. You can do better than that.
Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by Adebowale89(m): 2:00pm On Jun 12, 2017
Butterworth:

Has the Federal government of Nigeria quits collecting revenues from South East ?

Think with your BRAIN and not with your ASSHOLE

Don't allow your hate for a particular people be clouds your sense of Judgement. You can do better than that.

what revenue does southeast has and won't Nigeria survive without your IGR even a whole Ogun swallow your IGR

when last did u do your brain check-up? meet surgeon chukwudi, he's doing it on promo at Aba

3 Likes

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by Austinio: 2:03pm On Jun 12, 2017
animals wan de wear suit called UN. what did de do at d end of d day just like de no fit do anhthing to Idi amin dada
Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by fendorf(m): 2:04pm On Jun 12, 2017
I still remember vividly. May God bless his soul
Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by supereagle(m): 2:17pm On Jun 12, 2017
mejai:
what else does he want in life? he has reached d age limit any living mortal could achieved. He has peace of mind bro, just old age catching up wit him. no one will live forever. blame our politicians DAT didn't arrest him to trouble his soul.
There was a time he wanted to contest again, June 12 issues worked against him . Today 12th June, the conscience will trouble him. The officers killed in the plane crash, Dele Giwa issues and many more.
Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by Eastfield1: 2:48pm On Jun 12, 2017
WorldRichest:
That was a great man that called off the bluff of the military tyrant and stayed, fought and died in the process. The other "great" man, declared war, and ran to Ivory Coast and thereby sacrificed three million of his people to the god of iron and thunder.
Is like u don't even know ur History.
The Ediot (Abiola) declared himself president and went into hidding
Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by Ayus34(m): 3:02pm On Jun 12, 2017
Jirate:
Exactly Where in Nigeria did MKO Presents or Read this Speech?...........
I Was Told he did it inside a "Beer Parlor". grin
This was an open declaration, at Lagos island,here in Lagos,beside him then was biola Tinubu....u might be too young to witness those days,but it is illogical of you to think because u are not there,then it can't happen!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by 989900: 3:08pm On Jun 12, 2017
bitcoinvin:
[s]This is june 12,2017.. I was curious to know how he[Abiola] died and did a little research..
It was a master write up on how abiola died and my questions are as fellow.
1.As powerful as Abiola was,he got arrested,killed and what did the Yorubas did...Nothing i think.
2.Does it mean he was alone
3.Why was there no Massive Protest like that of Biafrans when Kanu was arrested??
For me,i can sincerely say that Yorubas are never Brothers keepers rather Saboteurs.
I expected every Yoruba to Protest Massively which will then enable Slami to kill many of them[Genocide] and today will make him face war against unarmed people.
Yourba are fools,idiots.
Kanu is a living hero!!!![/s]
Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by MAYOWAAK: 3:11pm On Jun 12, 2017
MKO Abiola, a Southerner of immense repute lost Nigeria's freest and fairest election of June 12 1993 in 3 major South East states;
-Abia
-Enugu
-Imo

Whereas he won in major Northern states like; Borno, Jigawa, Kaduna, Yobe and even in Kano, (Tofa's home state) He also won Kwara, Plateau, Taraba states, and the FCT
-

PHILANTHROPIST:

MKO sent over 2,500 Nigerians to university regardless of tribe and religion.

He contributed immensely to many educational charities that sent thousands of pupils to primary and secondary school.

Mko Abiola constructed
-63 secondary schools
-121 mosques and churches
-41 libraries
-21 water projects
All over Nigeria
-
MKO's generosity and large heart earned him the nickname "Father Christmas" among Nigerians

His philanthropic gestures earned him more than 197 traditional chieftancy titles from 68 different communities in Nigeria
-
Someone once wrote, ‘It is only a man like MKO that can just call you from the blues or meet you by chance on a first date and there or then settle all your educational/business needs’

MKO was twice voted international businessman of the year, winning against American and European business moguls.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by wizod(m): 3:20pm On Jun 12, 2017
Can buhari make such statement? No, because he is a stark illiterate even when d speech is penned down, he will shaken his hands like a lister engine because of alcoholic addiction.
IBB and his likes should be skinned alive 4 keeping Nigeria in d mess she is into.
RIP my hero OUR MAN

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by wizod(m): 3:21pm On Jun 12, 2017
WorldRichest:
That was a great man that called off the bluff of the military tyrant and stayed, fought and died in the process. The other "great" man, declared war, and ran to Ivory Coast and thereby sacrificed three million of his people to the god of iron and thunder.
a semi mad man sighted
Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by phoenixthefirst(m): 3:26pm On Jun 12, 2017
seunny4lif:
Summary pls
Let me teach you how to summarize long posts. Read the first two and last sentences of every paragraph, but perhaps read the whole of the first paragraph.

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by seunny4lif(m): 3:31pm On Jun 12, 2017
phoenixthefirst:
Let me teach you how to summarize long posts. Read the first two and last sentences of every paragraph, but perhaps read the whole of the first paragraph.
Summarize it jooor
Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by phoenixthefirst(m): 3:33pm On Jun 12, 2017
seunny4lif:

Summarize it jooor

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by Burgerlomo: 3:59pm On Jun 12, 2017
hardbody:

I hear it was free and fair. If anyone supported him, the Yorubas will be blabbing today. No one believed the Yorubas enough to want to support them, They would have found a way of selling out. Anyways they already sold him out to their Gambari Lords

Biko are you aware that the person you're quoting is a full fledged Yoruba dude? So shut the f**k up and zip it for talking trash about my people.

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by Butterworth: 4:41pm On Jun 12, 2017
Adebowale89:

what revenue does southeast has and won't Nigeria survive without your IGR even a whole Ogun swallow your IGR

when last did u do your brain check-up? meet surgeon chukwudi, he's doing it on promo at Aba

Loool. I'm happy you get my point, even if it is 1%

Has Federal government of the Zoo quits collecting it ?

Answer me!

I hope my question has helped in putting your brain in automatic factory reset.

You think giving quit notice is a way of granting BIAFRA INDEPENDENCE? what a DUMB FELLOW YOU ARE! LOOOL.
Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by vodkat: 5:11pm On Jun 12, 2017
metroblogger:
People of Nigeria, exactly one year ago, you turned out in your millions to vote for me, Chief M.K.O. Abiola , as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. But politicians in uniform, who call themselves soldiers but are more devious than any civilian would want to be, deprived you of your God-given right to be ruled by the President you had yourselves elected.

These soldier-politicians introduced into our body politic, a concept hitherto unknown to our political lexicography, something strangely called the “annulment” of an election perceived by all to have been the fairest, cleanest and most peaceful ever held in our nation. Since that abominable act of naked political armed robbery occurred, I have been constantly urged by people of goodwill, both in Nigeria and abroad, to put the matter back into the people’s hands and get them to actualise the mandate they gave me at the polls. But mindful of the need to ensure that peace continues to reign in our fragile federation, I have so far tried to pursue sweet reason and negotiation.

My hope has always been to arouse whatever remnants of patriotism are left in the hearts of these thieves of your mandate, and to persuade them that they should not allow their personal desire to rule to usher our beloved country into an era of political instability and economic ruin. All I have sought to do, in seeking dialogue with them, has been to try and get them to realise that only real democracy can move our nation forward towards progress, and earn her the respect she deserves from the international community.

However, although this peaceful approach has exposed me to severe censure by some who have mistaken it for weakness on my part, those with whom I have sought to dialogue have remained like stones, neither stirred to show loyalty to the collective decision of the people of their own country, nor to observe Allah’s injunction that they should exhibit justice and fair-play in all their dealings with their fellowmen. Appeals to their honour as officers and gentlemen of the gallant Nigerian Armed Forces, have fallen on deaf ears. Instead, they have resorted to the tactics of divide and rule, bribery and political perfidy, misinformation and (vile) propaganda. They arrest everyone who disagrees with them. Even the 71-year old hero of our nation, Chief Anthony Enahoro, was not spared. How much longer can we tolerate all this?

People of Nigeria, you are all witnesses that I have tried to climb the highest mountain, cross the deepest river and walk the longest mile, in order to get these men to obey the will of our people. There is no humiliation I have not endured, no snare that has not been put in my path, no “set-up” that has not been designed for me in my endeavour to use the path of peace to enforce the mandate that you bestowed on me one year ago. It has been a long night. But the dawn is here. Today, people of Nigeria, I join you all in saying, “Enough is Enough!”

We have endured 24 years of military rule in our 34 years of independence. Military rule has led to our nation fighting a civil war with itself. Military rule has destabilised our nation today as not before in its history. Military rule has impoverished our people and introduced a dreadful trade in drugs which has made our country’s name an anathema in many parts of the world. Even soccer fans going to watch the Green Eagles display in America are being made to suffer there needlessly because Nigeria’s name is linked with credit card and fraud and “419.” Politically, military rule has torn to shreds the prestige due to our country because of its size and population. The permanent seat at the United Nations Security Council that should be rightfully ours is all but lost. For who will vote for Nigeria to get the seat if Nigerian military rulers do not respect the votes of their own people? Enough of military rule.

We are sickened to see people who have shown little or no personal achievement, either in building up private businesses, or making success of any tangible thing, being placed in charge of the management of our nation’s economy, by rulers who are not accountable to anyone. Enough of square pegs in round holes. We are tired of the military repetitive tendency to experiment with our economy: Today, they say “no controls.” Tomorrow; they say “Full controls”. The day after, they say “Fine tuning”. The next day, they say “Devaluation.” A few days later, they say “Revalue the same naira upwards again Abi?” All we can see are the consequences of this permanent game of military “about turns;” high inflation, a huge budget deficit and an enormous foreign debt repayment burden, dying industries, high unemployment and a demoralised populace. Our youths, in particular, can see no hope on the horizon, and many can only dream of escaping from our shores to join the brain drain.

Is this the Nigeria we want?

We are plagued also by periodic balance of payments crises, which have led to a perennial shortage of essential drugs that has turned our hospitals and clinics into mortuaries. A scarcity of books and equipment has rendered our schools into desolate deserts of ignorance. Our factories are crying for machinery, spare parts and raw materials. But each day that passes, instead of these economic diseases being cured, they are rather strengthened as an irrational allocation of foreign exchange based on favouritism and corruption becomes the order of the day. Enough is enough of economic mismanagement!

People of Nigeria, during the election campaign last year, I presented you with a programme entitled “HOPE ’93. This programme was aimed precisely at solving these economic problems that have demoralized us all. I toured every part of Nigeria to present this programme to you the electorate. I was questioned on it at public rallies and press conferences and I had the privilege of incorporating into it much of the feedback that I obtained from the people. Because you knew I would not only listen to you but deliver superb results from the programme, you voted for me in your millions and gave me an overwhelming majority over my opponent. To be precise, you gave me 58.4 per cent of the popular vote and a majority in 20 out of 30 states plus the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. Not only that, you also enabled me to fulfil the constitutional requirement that the winner should obtain one-third of the votes in two-thirds of the states. I am sure that when you cast an eye on the moribund state of Nigeria today, you ask yourselves: “What have we done to deserve this, when we have a president-elect who can lead a government that can change things for the better?”

Our patience has come to an end. As of now, from this moment, a new Government of National Unity is in power throughout the length and breadth of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, led by me, Bashorun M.K.O. Abiola, as President and Commander-in-Chief. The National Assembly is hereby reconvened. All dismissed governors are reinstated. The State Assemblies are reconstituted, as are all local government councils. I urge them to adopt a bi-partisan approach to all the issues that come before them. At the national level, a bi-partisan approach will be our guiding principle.

I call upon the usurper, General Sani Abacha, to announce his resignation forthwith, together with the rest of his illegal ruling council. We are prepared to enter into negotiations with them to work out the mechanics for a smooth transfer of power. I pledge that if they hand over quietly, they will be retired with all their entitlements, and their positions will be accorded all the respect due to them. For our objective is neither recrimination nor witch-hunting, but an enforcement of the will of the Nigerian people, as expressed in free elections conducted by the duly constituted authority of the time.

I hereby invoke the mandate bestowed upon me by my victory in the said election, to call on all members of the Armed Forces and the Police, the Civil and Public Services throughout the Federal Republic of Nigeria, to obey only the Government of National Unity that is headed by me, your only elected President. My Government of National Unity is the only legitimate, constituted authority in the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as of now.

People of Nigeria, these are challenging times in the history of our continent, Africa, and we in Nigeria must not allow ourselves to be left behind. Our struggle is the same as that waged by the people of South Africa, which has been successfully concluded, with the inauguration of Mr. Nelson Mandela as the first African President of that country. Nelson Mandela fought to replace MINORITY rule with MAJORITY rule. We in Nigeria are also fighting to replace MINORITY rule, for we are ruled by only a tiny section of our armed forces. Like the South Africans, we want MAJORITY rule today, that is rule only by those chosen by all the people of Nigeria as a whole in free and fair elections. The only difference between South Africa and Nigeria is that those who imposed minority rule on the majority rule whether it is by black or white, remains minority rule, and must be booted out.

I call on you, heroic people of Nigeria, to emulate the actions of your brothers and sisters in South Africa and stand up as one person to throw away the yoke of minority rule for ever. The antics of every minority that oppresses the majority are always the same. They will try to intimidate you with threats of police action. But do not let us fear arrest. In South Africa, so many people were arrested, during the campaign against the Pass Laws, for instance, that the jails could not hold all of them.

Today, apartheid is gone forever. So, let it be with Nigeria. Let us say goodbye forever to minority rule by the military. They talk of treason. But haven’t they heard of the Rivonia treason trial in South Africa? Did those treason trials halt the march of history? People of Nigeria, our time is now. You are the repository of power in the land. No one can give you power. It is yours. Take it! From this day, show to the world that anyone who takes the people of Nigeria for fools is deceiving himself and will have the people to answer to.

God bless you all.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Long live the Government of National Unity

http://www.metronaija.com/2017/06/full-text-of-mko-abiolas-proclamation.html

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by Adebowale89(m): 5:51pm On Jun 12, 2017
Butterworth:

Loool. I'm happy you get my point, even if it is 1%

Has Federal government of the Zoo quits collecting it ?

Answer me!

I hope my question has helped in putting your brain in automatic factory reset.

You think giving quit notice is a way of granting BIAFRA INDEPENDENCE? what a DUMB FELLOW YOU ARE! LOOOL.

so if is 1% what then is worth bragging about

I can see you are baby with your off point response. na your type dey brag with your friend that your uncle buy u cloth

Biafra or no Biafra, it won't elevate your mental faculty to the state of proper reasoning. Biafra screaming are for the illiterate, the elites act it

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by olaniyi0(m): 5:53pm On Jun 12, 2017
Intrepid01:

My friend from across the Niger is here again with distorted history....Abiola ran away you say? will you guys ever speak the truth in your life time?.....

Mr Man..what was Yoruba's connection with Biafra....Yoruba sold out? You people will continue to spread lies and live in pain. Was Yoruba part of your miserable Biafra....Your stupid Ojukwu who lacked foresight and vision called for a war Igbos were not financially, militarily, strategically and economically ready. He sacrificed millions of your fathers kinsmen for no just reason and yo are here spewing rubbish.

He cam back a hero you say? ......you must be suffering from congenial deformities....Ojukwu that begged and sent many pleas to Shagari before he was pardoned..He was pardoned as a repentant tyrant......he is no definition of a hero...you can google and see how some of yor kinsemen (the few reasonable ones have castigated Ojukwu)....

You said Abiola's people abandoned him?.................you definitely inherited lies ffrom your fathers...so it was your kinsmen that were running Radio Kudirat and Nadeco?

You and your unreasonable lots on this site can spread all the lies you want, the truth is known, which are:

1. Yorubas stopped Biafra soldiers at Ore via a thorough defeat of deluded men and boys who had no sense.

2. Yorubas led the military army that went in to the inner houses of yeebos in the east and gave them the beating of their life during the civil war cos they lacked sense.

IN THE SCHEME OF THINGS IN NIGERIA; YORUBAS ARE NOT YEEBOS MATE.......YEEBOS ARE IRRELEVANT, your lots will continue to be second class citizen and if you try to secede, you know what your fate will be.........unfortunate children of hate and pain.

You caused the distortion of the Nigerian political system through that unfortunate military coup of 1966 and for centuries to come you will pay for it.
WICKED man grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by olaniyi0(m): 5:58pm On Jun 12, 2017
MAYOWAAK:
MKO Abiola, a Southerner of immense repute lost Nigeria's freest and fairest election of June 12 1993 in 3 major South East states;
-Abia
-Enugu
-Imo

Whereas he won in major Northern states like; Borno, Jigawa, Kaduna, Yobe and even in Kano, (Tofa's home state) He also won Kwara, Plateau, Taraba states, and the FCT
-

PHILANTHROPIST:

He contributed immensely to many educational charities that sent thousands of pupils to primary and secondary school.

Mko Abiola constructed
-63 secondary schools
-41 libraries
-21 water projects
All over Nigeria
-
MKO's generosity and large heart earned him the nickname "Father Christmas" among Nigerians

His philanthropic gestures earned him more than 197 traditional chieftancy titles from 68 different communities in Nigeria
-
Someone once wrote, ‘It is only a man like MKO that can just call you from the blues or meet you by chance on a first date and there or then settle all your educational/business needs’

MKO was twice voted international businessman of the year, winning against American and European business moguls.
the ingrate bifraud won't like this cuz it was their fore fathers that enjoy the good side of the man not the current irrelevant ones

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jun 12, 2017
989900:
A great man, betrayed by those he trusted with his life.

Betrayal runs in their blood.
Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by datigbogirl: 6:47am On Jun 13, 2017
softwerk:
".......a new Government of National Unity is in power throughout the length and breadth of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, led by me, Bashorun M.K.O. Abiola, as President and Commander-in-Chief"

".......I call upon the usurper, General Sani Abacha, to announce his resignation forthwith, together with the rest of his illegal ruling council. We are prepared to enter into negotiations with them to work out the mechanics for a smooth transfer of power"

Typical of an AFONJA, a very bloody civilian ordering the ruthless General Sani Abacha to run away?! shocked cry

MKO was NOT killed, he committed SUICIDE!!!

You think we're like you chest thumping cowards that cause trouble and run away? A typical Afonja doesn't want to cause trouble because he knows once he starts there must be an end to it....but Igbo man na scare tactics them sabi....when gbege set them go matte. bloody cowards....

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by datigbogirl: 6:48am On Jun 13, 2017
metroblogger:
People of Nigeria, exactly one year ago, you turned out in your millions to vote for me, Chief M.K.O. Abiola , as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. But politicians in uniform, who call themselves soldiers but are more devious than any civilian would want to be, deprived you of your God-given right to be ruled by the President you had yourselves elected.

These soldier-politicians introduced into our body politic, a concept hitherto unknown to our political lexicography, something strangely called the “annulment” of an election perceived by all to have been the fairest, cleanest and most peaceful ever held in our nation. Since that abominable act of naked political armed robbery occurred, I have been constantly urged by people of goodwill, both in Nigeria and abroad, to put the matter back into the people’s hands and get them to actualise the mandate they gave me at the polls. But mindful of the need to ensure that peace continues to reign in our fragile federation, I have so far tried to pursue sweet reason and negotiation.

My hope has always been to arouse whatever remnants of patriotism are left in the hearts of these thieves of your mandate, and to persuade them that they should not allow their personal desire to rule to usher our beloved country into an era of political instability and economic ruin. All I have sought to do, in seeking dialogue with them, has been to try and get them to realise that only real democracy can move our nation forward towards progress, and earn her the respect she deserves from the international community.

However, although this peaceful approach has exposed me to severe censure by some who have mistaken it for weakness on my part, those with whom I have sought to dialogue have remained like stones, neither stirred to show loyalty to the collective decision of the people of their own country, nor to observe Allah’s injunction that they should exhibit justice and fair-play in all their dealings with their fellowmen. Appeals to their honour as officers and gentlemen of the gallant Nigerian Armed Forces, have fallen on deaf ears. Instead, they have resorted to the tactics of divide and rule, bribery and political perfidy, misinformation and (vile) propaganda. They arrest everyone who disagrees with them. Even the 71-year old hero of our nation, Chief Anthony Enahoro, was not spared. How much longer can we tolerate all this?

People of Nigeria, you are all witnesses that I have tried to climb the highest mountain, cross the deepest river and walk the longest mile, in order to get these men to obey the will of our people. There is no humiliation I have not endured, no snare that has not been put in my path, no “set-up” that has not been designed for me in my endeavour to use the path of peace to enforce the mandate that you bestowed on me one year ago. It has been a long night. But the dawn is here. Today, people of Nigeria, I join you all in saying, “Enough is Enough!”

We have endured 24 years of military rule in our 34 years of independence. Military rule has led to our nation fighting a civil war with itself. Military rule has destabilised our nation today as not before in its history. Military rule has impoverished our people and introduced a dreadful trade in drugs which has made our country’s name an anathema in many parts of the world. Even soccer fans going to watch the Green Eagles display in America are being made to suffer there needlessly because Nigeria’s name is linked with credit card and fraud and “419.” Politically, military rule has torn to shreds the prestige due to our country because of its size and population. The permanent seat at the United Nations Security Council that should be rightfully ours is all but lost. For who will vote for Nigeria to get the seat if Nigerian military rulers do not respect the votes of their own people? Enough of military rule.

We are sickened to see people who have shown little or no personal achievement, either in building up private businesses, or making success of any tangible thing, being placed in charge of the management of our nation’s economy, by rulers who are not accountable to anyone. Enough of square pegs in round holes. We are tired of the military repetitive tendency to experiment with our economy: Today, they say “no controls.” Tomorrow; they say “Full controls”. The day after, they say “Fine tuning”. The next day, they say “Devaluation.” A few days later, they say “Revalue the same naira upwards again Abi?” All we can see are the consequences of this permanent game of military “about turns;” high inflation, a huge budget deficit and an enormous foreign debt repayment burden, dying industries, high unemployment and a demoralised populace. Our youths, in particular, can see no hope on the horizon, and many can only dream of escaping from our shores to join the brain drain.

Is this the Nigeria we want?

We are plagued also by periodic balance of payments crises, which have led to a perennial shortage of essential drugs that has turned our hospitals and clinics into mortuaries. A scarcity of books and equipment has rendered our schools into desolate deserts of ignorance. Our factories are crying for machinery, spare parts and raw materials. But each day that passes, instead of these economic diseases being cured, they are rather strengthened as an irrational allocation of foreign exchange based on favouritism and corruption becomes the order of the day. Enough is enough of economic mismanagement!

People of Nigeria, during the election campaign last year, I presented you with a programme entitled “HOPE ’93. This programme was aimed precisely at solving these economic problems that have demoralized us all. I toured every part of Nigeria to present this programme to you the electorate. I was questioned on it at public rallies and press conferences and I had the privilege of incorporating into it much of the feedback that I obtained from the people. Because you knew I would not only listen to you but deliver superb results from the programme, you voted for me in your millions and gave me an overwhelming majority over my opponent. To be precise, you gave me 58.4 per cent of the popular vote and a majority in 20 out of 30 states plus the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. Not only that, you also enabled me to fulfil the constitutional requirement that the winner should obtain one-third of the votes in two-thirds of the states. I am sure that when you cast an eye on the moribund state of Nigeria today, you ask yourselves: “What have we done to deserve this, when we have a president-elect who can lead a government that can change things for the better?”

Our patience has come to an end. As of now, from this moment, a new Government of National Unity is in power throughout the length and breadth of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, led by me, Bashorun M.K.O. Abiola, as President and Commander-in-Chief. The National Assembly is hereby reconvened. All dismissed governors are reinstated. The State Assemblies are reconstituted, as are all local government councils. I urge them to adopt a bi-partisan approach to all the issues that come before them. At the national level, a bi-partisan approach will be our guiding principle.

I call upon the usurper, General Sani Abacha, to announce his resignation forthwith, together with the rest of his illegal ruling council. We are prepared to enter into negotiations with them to work out the mechanics for a smooth transfer of power. I pledge that if they hand over quietly, they will be retired with all their entitlements, and their positions will be accorded all the respect due to them. For our objective is neither recrimination nor witch-hunting, but an enforcement of the will of the Nigerian people, as expressed in free elections conducted by the duly constituted authority of the time.

I hereby invoke the mandate bestowed upon me by my victory in the said election, to call on all members of the Armed Forces and the Police, the Civil and Public Services throughout the Federal Republic of Nigeria, to obey only the Government of National Unity that is headed by me, your only elected President. My Government of National Unity is the only legitimate, constituted authority in the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as of now.

People of Nigeria, these are challenging times in the history of our continent, Africa, and we in Nigeria must not allow ourselves to be left behind. Our struggle is the same as that waged by the people of South Africa, which has been successfully concluded, with the inauguration of Mr. Nelson Mandela as the first African President of that country. Nelson Mandela fought to replace MINORITY rule with MAJORITY rule. We in Nigeria are also fighting to replace MINORITY rule, for we are ruled by only a tiny section of our armed forces. Like the South Africans, we want MAJORITY rule today, that is rule only by those chosen by all the people of Nigeria as a whole in free and fair elections. The only difference between South Africa and Nigeria is that those who imposed minority rule on the majority rule whether it is by black or white, remains minority rule, and must be booted out.

I call on you, heroic people of Nigeria, to emulate the actions of your brothers and sisters in South Africa and stand up as one person to throw away the yoke of minority rule for ever. The antics of every minority that oppresses the majority are always the same. They will try to intimidate you with threats of police action. But do not let us fear arrest. In South Africa, so many people were arrested, during the campaign against the Pass Laws, for instance, that the jails could not hold all of them.

Today, apartheid is gone forever. So, let it be with Nigeria. Let us say goodbye forever to minority rule by the military. They talk of treason. But haven’t they heard of the Rivonia treason trial in South Africa? Did those treason trials halt the march of history? People of Nigeria, our time is now. You are the repository of power in the land. No one can give you power. It is yours. Take it! From this day, show to the world that anyone who takes the people of Nigeria for fools is deceiving himself and will have the people to answer to.

God bless you all.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Long live the Government of National Unity

http://www.metronaija.com/2017/06/full-text-of-mko-abiolas-proclamation.html

Nigerians never fought for their independence hence it's very difficult to fight for our rights...which eventually makes it difficult for us to love one another....majority of Nigerians are cowards....

1 Like

Re: MKO Abiola’s Proclamation Speech Declaring Himself As President (Full Text) by nku5: 7:47am On Jun 13, 2017
MAYOWAAK:
-Abia
-Enugu
-Imo

-

PHILANTHROPIST:

Mko Abiola constructed
-63 secondary schools
-41 libraries
-21 water projects
All over Nigeria
-

-

MKO would have made Nigeria the envy of Africa and indeed the world. The man unfortunately offended the British when he said he would demand reparations for slavery and they never forgave him.

The severe polarisation of this country and imminent division all stems from the annulment of the June 12 elections. IBB and co effectively killed Nigeria in 1993. There would have been no OPC no IPOB no militants. The man wasnt perfect but he was a true Nigerian. The man campaigned all over Nigeria and won all over Nigeria.

The Abiola Hostel in my alma mater faraway in the east is testament to the man's orientation.

I will never forget MKO Abiola and what might have been

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sowore Omoyele Vs Adebayo Shittu At Fresh FM Radio Station (Video, Photos) / PDP Still Searching For Candidate, 9 Months To Presidential Election / US Warns Citizens Of Terror Threats In Nigeria, Asks Them To Avoid ‘major Hotels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.