Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,352 members, 7,971,241 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 06:34 AM

ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July (2030 Views)

ASUP (Poly Unwana) Embarks On An Indefinite Strike / NLC, Zamfara To Embark On An Indefinite Strike On Monday / SSANU, NASU Resolve To Embark On Indefinite Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by Nobody: 10:47am On Jun 12, 2017
Contrary to the pledge made in January that there would be no strike action in the near future, the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) announced that it could embark on a strike again in July over the non-payment of N128 billion arrears of allowances..

ASUU National President Biodun Ogunyemi hinted at the strike action during a news conference held at the University of Abuja on Wednesday.

According to him, the federal government owes academic staff in federal universities unpaid allowances of nearly N128 billion. Mr. Ogunyemi said that the ASUU insisted on a framework for paying any part of the “Earned Academic Allowances” (EAA) arrears.

He said the union has decided that the particular issue of the EAA cannot be meaningfully addressed unless it is within an agreed framework.

“Hence the National Executive Council (NEC) of the ASUU resolved that all outstanding arrears of EAA should be paid not later than July 2017,” Mr. Ogunyemi stated.

The president also observed the non-release of the Operational Licensing of Nigerian Universities Pension Management Company (NUPEMCO).

Mr. Ogunyemi said that the company had met the minimum requirements for registration as a Pension Fund Administrator (PFA).

He said that the failure of PENCOM to release the operational license of NUPEMCO as a PFA had created the feeling of insecurity and loss of confidence among retirees in the system.

“The PFA cartel appears determined to abort the process of NUPEMCO licensing which started more than four years ago,” Mr. Ogunyemi said..
This is against the right to choose, he added.

The president noted that the 2013 memorandum of understanding signed with the federal government on funding for the revitalization of public universities had not been released as agreed.

“The MoU stipulates that N200 billion would be released in 2013 for massive injection of funds to reposition Nigerian public universities for global competition.

“Thereafter, N220 billion is to be released for subsequent five years, adding up to N1.3 trillion by 2018, not a single kobo has been released up till date,” Mr. Ogunyemi said.

He concluded by announcing that the union’s decision has been communicated to the government.

source
http://saharareporters.com/2017/03/29/ASUU-threatens-go-strike-july

1 Like

Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by Derawiz(m): 10:50am On Jun 12, 2017
Don't know if I should question the authencity since its sahara news but everything in this country is just hanging on a thread. With the tension from the supposed strike, the idle youths made available would just increase the threshold of violence.
I don't blame our polithiefcians sha, all their kids school abroad

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by Nobody: 11:04am On Jun 12, 2017
This people costs me one year when i was in school, though i made a lot of money during that time. It still annoying that a course of 5 years took me 6 years to complete. .

Wicked people couple together with even more useless & wicked polithiefcians who send thier kids abroad while we suffer with ASUU

May thunder strike anybody even remotely responsible for the predicament & suffering of the average Nigerian student

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by KGBEAST(m): 12:00pm On Jun 12, 2017
fuckmeharder:
Contrary to the pledge made in January that there would be no strike action in the near future, the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) announced that it could embark on a strike again in July over the non-payment of N128 billion arrears of allowances..

ASUU National President Biodun Ogunyemi hinted at the strike action during a news conference held at the University of Abuja on Wednesday.

According to him, the federal government owes academic staff in federal universities unpaid allowances of nearly N128 billion. Mr. Ogunyemi said that the ASUU insisted on a framework for paying any part of the “Earned Academic Allowances” (EAA) arrears.

He said the union has decided that the particular issue of the EAA cannot be meaningfully addressed unless it is within an agreed framework.

“Hence the National Executive Council (NEC) of the ASUU resolved that all outstanding arrears of EAA should be paid not later than July 2017,” Mr. Ogunyemi stated.

The president also observed the non-release of the Operational Licensing of Nigerian Universities Pension Management Company (NUPEMCO).

Mr. Ogunyemi said that the company had met the minimum requirements for registration as a Pension Fund Administrator (PFA).

He said that the failure of PENCOM to release the operational license of NUPEMCO as a PFA had created the feeling of insecurity and loss of confidence among retirees in the system.

“The PFA cartel appears determined to abort the process of NUPEMCO licensing which started more than four years ago,” Mr. Ogunyemi said..
This is against the right to choose, he added.

The president noted that the 2013 memorandum of understanding signed with the federal government on funding for the revitalization of public universities had not been released as agreed.

“The MoU stipulates that N200 billion would be released in 2013 for massive injection of funds to reposition Nigerian public universities for global competition.

“Thereafter, N220 billion is to be released for subsequent five years, adding up to N1.3 trillion by 2018, not a single kobo has been released up till date,” Mr. Ogunyemi said.

He concluded by announcing that the union’s decision has been communicated to the government.

source
http://saharareporters.com/2017/03/29/ASUU-threatens-go-strike-july
Somebody say praise the Looooooord cheesy cheesy
Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by Fessy09(m): 1:07pm On Jun 12, 2017
(ASUU) announced that it could embark on a
strike again in July over the non-payment of
N128 billion arrears of allowances

where do they except FG to get that money from now most especially in this recessed economy look at Benue state university on an indefinite strike since April ,look at kogi state university too on strike for decades now minus their college of educations and polytechnics to mention but a few, I sometimes wonder how we have offended God for him to have been allowing some set of clueless individuals to lead us. meanwhile let ASUU and the FG put the future of students into consideration so that people can complete their various programs at school first abeg.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by Fessy09(m): 1:16pm On Jun 12, 2017
“The MoU stipulates that N200 billion would be
released in 2013 for massive injection of funds
to reposition Nigerian public universities for
global competition.
“Thereafter, N220 billion is to be released for
subsequent five years, adding up to N1.3 trillion
by 2018, not a single kobo has been released up
till date,”
my pain in all these is that when the money wasn't as much as this FG will not release it to these universities till they accumulate to become a mountain that can not be easily moved. hmmm as much as I believe in Nigeria sometimes I wish I can just leave this country to another country and keep believing from there.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by Aremu01(m): 1:22pm On Jun 12, 2017
ASUU Giving all Nigerian students automatic extra year since time memorial
Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jun 12, 2017
This is why some people will want to separate.

Infact this country is furkd up!!!

Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jun 12, 2017
will seun fynestboi and lalsticalala strike??
Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by Misterdhee1(m): 3:27pm On Jun 12, 2017
Double wahala looming for Ladokites. Such a pity!
Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by abbainfotech: 7:11pm On Jun 12, 2017
when e remain 2months make I graduate. Are they okay?
Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by malikombi(m): 7:58pm On Jun 12, 2017
Fake news.....
Issa Fagge of BUK is the President of ASUU and Biodun Ogunyemi (Vice President) mentioned above is a Professor at OOU.
Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jun 12, 2017
malikombi:
Fake news.....
Issa Fagge of BUK is the President of ASUU and Biodun Ogunyemi (Vice President) mentioned above is a Professor at OOU.

then u are not current........issa fagge is the former oga....ITK

1 Like

Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by Juciano1(m): 10:11pm On Jun 12, 2017
Fessy09:
(ASUU) announced that it could embark on a
strike again in July over the non-payment of
N128 billion arrears of allowances

where do they except FG to get that money from now most especially in this recessed economy look at Benue state university on an indefinite strike since April ,look at kogi state university too on strike for decades now minus their college of educations and polytechnics to mention but a few, I sometimes wonder how we have offended God for him to have been allowing some set of clueless individuals to lead us. meanwhile let ASUU and the FG put the future of students into consideration so that people can complete their various programs at school first abeg.
But you see nothing wrong when FG are able to find money to fund their travel and feeding in trillions?!
Re: ASUU Sets To Embark On An Indefinite Strike By July by Fessy09(m): 11:02pm On Jun 12, 2017
Juciano1:
But you see nothing wrong when FG are able to find money to fund their travel and feeding in trillions?!
no I'm not trying to excuse the FG what I'm saying is the ASUU is planing on embarking on strike cause FG has refused to pay cause they claim not to have money and have been pleading with ASUU to chill, so me in essence is saying since FG claim not to have money to settle their debts to ASUU , they (FG) should look for other possible means to settle ASUU so as to stop the planned strike. we all know how frustrating it can be whenever ASUU strikes

(1) (Reply)

Hot!!!! The Best WAEC Result In 2016 (a"s) / Difference Between "Trip", "Travel", And "Journey" / How Med. Lab. Scientist Replied The DR's Question About The Use Of Stethoscope

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.