Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,471 members, 7,891,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 11:23 PM

(fun Facts) 15 Facts You Probably Don't Know About The Chicken - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / (fun Facts) 15 Facts You Probably Don't Know About The Chicken (1179 Views)

7 Weird Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Dogs / 10 Fun Facts About Dogs / Interesting Dog Facts You Probably Don't Know! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

(fun Facts) 15 Facts You Probably Don't Know About The Chicken by LordsBattleAxe(m): 11:29pm On Jun 13, 2017
The chicken is one of the most common animals on this planet. More of these birds are raised and killed for food than any of the other creatures on earth, combined. We typically only think of them in terms of food, but there are many interesting facts about the bi[sub][/sub]rds. Here is part one of our list.

Number Fifteen: Amazing Memories
These birds can differentiate between more than 100 faces of other chickens. In fact, their memory is so good, it’s comparable to elephants.

Number Fourteen: More Than 24 Unique Vocalizations
Chickens communicate to one another about what they see. Each sound has a unique meaning, such as warning their friends about predators or telling their mother they are comfortable.

Number Thirteen: They Dream
It’s been proven scientifically that these birds experience REM. This leads researchers to believe that they dream just as humans do.

Number Twelve: A Chicken Is Smarter Than a Toddler
Quite astoundingly, they have been known to exhibit mathematical reasoning and self-control. They also possess knowledge of “object permanence”, meaning the ability to know that when an object is hidden from view, it still exists somewhere. This is a skill that even young children do not have a lot of the time.

Number Eleven: They Were Originally Tropical Animals
It’s hard to conceive of now since we’re used to seeing them on farms or locked in a pen, but the chicken originated in tropical rain forests. They evolved there for millions upon millions of years.

Number Ten: Automatic Chicken Catchers
In the poultry industry, there used to be a job called manual chicken catching. This was named the worst job ever in the industry because it caused severe back pain and carpel tunnel syndrome. As a result of this, an electronic device has been invented that does the job and spares the manual laborers.

Number Nine: Bird Hierarchies
Similar to humans, chickens create social structures, and are well aware of where they exit on this ladder. These are known as “pecking orders”.

1 Share

Re: (fun Facts) 15 Facts You Probably Don't Know About The Chicken by LordsBattleAxe(m): 11:32pm On Jun 13, 2017
Number Eight: Mothers Talk to Their Eggs
Hens can actually communicate with their unborn chicks. The babies respond to their mothers by chirping back through the shell.

Number Seven: Extraordinary Navigating Abilities
These impressive birds can actually use the sun as a compass when they live in the wild. This ability helps them find food and water and even decipher the time of day.

Number Six: They Like Dust Baths
The animals enjoy dust baths, and use it as a form of cleaning, warding off parasites and maintaining feather quality. They cannot perform this while in factory farms and become very frustrated as a result.

Number Five: They Were Not Domesticated for Food Originally
Based on somewhat recent archaeological research, we have learned that chickens may not have been intended just for food originally. Instead, chickens in Asia were most likely first bred by humans for cockfighting.

Number Four: Chinese Silkie Chickens
These are a unique type of chicken and are known for their very dark meat. It’s due to a genetic condition which affects the pigment cells and makes the bones, skin, and organs turn either black or a dark blue color.

Number Three: Which Came First, the Chicken or the Egg?
It seems that this famous question has an answer as of 2010. Scientists came up with a protein necessary for healthy eggs. This protein is impossible without the existence of a chicken, so it’s been concluded that the chicken came first.
Number Two: Tonic Immobility
These birds can get hypnotized when very afraid. When the animal thinks it’s about to die, it enters a catatonic state and freezes up completely, losing all mobility.

Number One: They are Surprisingly Resilient
If you don’t think chickens are that impressive, it may change your mind to learn that research has proven that they survive 90 percent of attacks from predators while living in the wild.

1 Like

Re: (fun Facts) 15 Facts You Probably Don't Know About The Chicken by LordsBattleAxe(m): 11:34pm On Jun 13, 2017
Facts culled from ppcorn.com
Re: (fun Facts) 15 Facts You Probably Don't Know About The Chicken by LordsBattleAxe(m): 12:05am On Jun 14, 2017
How do I modify the topic please?
Re: (fun Facts) 15 Facts You Probably Don't Know About The Chicken by YungRichG1: 2:59pm On Jul 27, 2017
Bimbola is this the best you can come up with?

Yung Rich Gee1

1 Like

Re: (fun Facts) 15 Facts You Probably Don't Know About The Chicken by youngreva(m): 8:30pm On Jul 27, 2017
wow, I never knew all this facts thumbs up op
Re: (fun Facts) 15 Facts You Probably Don't Know About The Chicken by LordsBattleAxe(m): 12:44pm On Aug 04, 2017
YungRichG1:
Bimbola is this the best you can come up with?

Yung Rich Gee1
erm.... This is strange . Who are you pls
Re: (fun Facts) 15 Facts You Probably Don't Know About The Chicken by YungRichG1: 6:10pm On Aug 04, 2017
LordsBattleAxe:
erm.... This is strange . Who are you pls

lol ola are u shocked that i know you Hahhaah u downloaded a 2kb picture by mistake that was my RAT...lets just say i hack out informations...... Big Brother is watching you.........

Yung Rich Gee1

1 Like

Re: (fun Facts) 15 Facts You Probably Don't Know About The Chicken by LordsBattleAxe(m): 8:08pm On Aug 04, 2017
[quote author=YungRichG1 post=59151861]

lol ola are u shocked that i know you Hahhaah u downloaded a 2kb picture by mistake that was my RAT...lets just say i hack out informations...... Big Brother is watching you.........like I'll fall for that... You can do better bro [center][/center]

Yung Rich Gee1[/quote

(1) (Reply)

Bonanza Bonana 20,000 Naira Each For Healthy Adult Male And Female Lhasa Dogs / Please Help. Someone Broke The Waist Of My Puppy / One Female Doberman Left!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.