Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,544 members, 7,929,769 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 10:11 PM

The State Of The Nation And The Call For Biafra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The State Of The Nation And The Call For Biafra (687 Views)

'President Buhari Wore Pam Slippers To Address The Nation Instead Of Shoes' / Niger Delta Youths Reacts On Asari Dokubo "I Will Stop Agitation For Biafra / Jerusalem As Capital: IPOB Turkey 'Diplomat' Ally Withdraws Support For Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The State Of The Nation And The Call For Biafra by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 18, 2017
My position: I support total restructuring of Nigeria to regional levels and 100% resource control...

According to United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples which Nigeria is signatory to: "the native/indigenous people have the right to protect their lands and resources, and to maintain their unique cultures and traditions. They also have the right to self determination "

https://www.un.org/press/en/2007/ga10612.doc.htm?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C9240336874

You may ask why I refer to the above declaration. The reason is to correct this notion that those calling for Biafra are beating the drums of war; they are rather exercising their fundamental human right. They cannot be stopped by the use of force or intimidation but rather a superior ideology and narration like restructuring. According to Prof. Wole Soyinka:

“You may destroy the people that carry the idea on the battlefield, but, ultimately, it is not the end of the story.” and he is absolutely right. The Amnesty International reports that " At least 150 peaceful Biafra activists killed in chilling crackdown"

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/11/peaceful-pro-biafra-activists-killed-in-chilling-crackdown/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C6061282862

We made the same mistake with Boko Haram. Look at where we are to with the North East Region. If not for the novel approach to the Niger Delta crisis by late president Umaru Musa Yar'Adua (may his soul continue to rest in peace) by now we would be battling with huge instability in Niger Delta. Look at the way this admiration brutally murdered Shites Moslems in Kaduna. According to Kaduna state government report : "347 Shiites killed by army buried in secret"

https://www.naij.com/795740-zaria-massacre-kaduna-govt-reveals-corpses-shiites-killed-army.html?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C2860429012

The usual pattern of using military force to crack down insurgency, rebellion or session is archaic and destructive - it produces anarchy and deep crisis.

The Scotland asked for an exit from United Kingdom and a referendum was conducted. Britain asked for Brexit and it was put to voting. When are going to start handling our issues like decent and educated human beings?

Buhari got into office and told the whole world that the 2014 Confab report belongs to the archive. it is really a pathetic thing to say given the numerous challenges that report would have addressed. I also find it amazing that Tinubu, Osibanjo and co that were in favour of restructuring have changed their position to "the unity of this nation is nonnegotiable" slogan. They (politician) usually take this position once they start eating from the "national cake" situated at the center and I won't be surprised if Atiku that is in favour of restructuring changes his position once he gets there.

The state of the nation is worrisome and frightening. If we continue on this trajectory, we are definitely headed for total breakdown and deep crisis. Nothing is working as it should in Nigeria. Power generation, health care delivery, quality education, transportation of goods and services, food security, internal and external security (border control), employment rate... are all in sorry and poor state. The economy is in recession and I wonder how this mono-economy that depends on oil will survive 10yrs from now when electric cars, renewable energy, shale oil come fully on board. Let me add that the FG spends N66 out of every N100 earned in servicing debt. Our debt profile is pathetic. The FG can't build a mega project without borrowing/increasing the debt profile. Is that how we are going to develop and diversify the economy? Paying salaries is now an achievement.

The question is not whether the call for Biafra is feasible, right or wrong. The question is does Nigeria have a future?

is the unity of Nigeria, a multi ethnic and religious country, negotiable?

Happy Sunday.

.............................................................................................
9jaflave mikecino ,ardel adahib, dexentity, tmanuelle, Achile1515 brodalikeme, umuokezie phymat Corlah, loodba, dakeskese botahj lordhugo Picomon Narldon, confluence, BekeeBuAgbara, tebric,vanilson logica, neduprince Rikidony Grundig, Excellence12 BabaRamota1980, Umarlulu, mumAAA, yjames, Ddaji(m) kayelm87 patrick89, jullary DeLaRue, Patdedon, wale43 Mujtahida, Abiri22, Promxy94 LaBush1, finicky , kurupt1, dandadee, Trailii, tommysparks, habibest06, Joyfullyme, Mustay chukxy, oloyesaso, jobsat34 STemidayo23, bounty007, Cornerstone2020, Surestdick(m), Anitop(m), Adayi1(m), wickyyolo, akayalade Greatidonis, Cuntslayer, ayulatap, vickthourh fatalitho, CIOSYLVA, BiafraIShere, pappycash, laurel03, tinkinjow, ajapz richietunes, sirseven, Williams1976 emeritus00, neymar12, GMan650, enasgreat, AntiNigerian, Ajimmyco niggaman WOCKHARDI, aewhydot, PissedYagami, Will3i829, Thoniameek stevedeey jiangchu, aikluck007 maxxx Sweetguy25, valirex, ComrTonwa ebosie11, obadee4you Sapiosexuality bengasyl obamanuru, babablogger, successmatters ukenke, nevilbot, ollins betty202020 Ryder306 kellsmania, wawaboi, Opajyde, saqo labamo07 Oludeco, emmaak2 0luwacoded donjazet ModusOperandi Bestrides, Bethor, gleaf, Iamoilprince jwart cacmatters mrvitalis sddiamond, AYANFEGOLD, Answers007 ebuclassic18 Chiefoomii, marumaru, saahgroups Obiossy blessyndbest divicode, Hocharly njuko555, HiddenShadow, ayejimimoshood Nel11 ucheclub Houseboy419, tutudesz, Sciencs oluwafemi2017, Yseone jrex gameboyo, EmeeNaka, chiagozien capip120 Nnamdiojukwu, Salligreen, smaikins, Kennedymac MBtz recoveryjobs17, Toyatc, Greatfuture, hibee4uall ,Angelopeters

3 Likes

Re: The State Of The Nation And The Call For Biafra by Rich4god(m): 10:32am On Jun 18, 2017
I support a unified Nigeria with each state/region controlling her resource...

Nigeria cannot grow with the current system of govt... Except if all our current and past leaders are removed from the helm of power.
Re: The State Of The Nation And The Call For Biafra by feelgoodInc: 10:38am On Jun 18, 2017
Nigeria was great
Re: The State Of The Nation And The Call For Biafra by Pharaoh9(m): 10:56am On Jun 18, 2017
Fulani Herdsmen Destroyed 50 Million Naira worth of Agricultural Investment In Edo State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5LZMNBaNaU
Re: The State Of The Nation And The Call For Biafra by ragiluhivo(m): 11:03am On Jun 18, 2017
Re: The State Of The Nation And The Call For Biafra by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jun 18, 2017
Pharaoh9:
Fulani Herdsmen Destroyed 50 Million Naira worth of Agricultural Investment In Edo State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5LZMNBaNaU

pathetic. They can't do that in a restructured country

(1) (Reply)

If I Was Related To Jonathan, I Would Reply Amaechi. / Igbo Revolutionary Economy Planning And Budget 2017-agriculture / UN Decorate Gov. Obiano As Champion On Sustainable Development Goals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.