Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,411 members, 7,891,799 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 07:28 PM

I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient (864 Views)

Help. My Girlfriend Is Too Obedient. / You Used To Call Me Fat, Now You Want My Number- Lady Shares Massive Weight Loss / This Is Why It's Good For Children To Start Fuccking Early (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by tobechi74: 12:34am On Jun 19, 2017
want obedient children
If you heard someone described as obedient, what thoughts does it bring to mind? Someone with no mind of their own, who will do what you tell them, who won’t stand up for themselves. Oh no, that’s not what I’m aiming for, and so I do not want ‘obedient’ children.
Children used to be expected to be ‘seen but not heard’, to never answer back, to do as their parents say for no other reason than ‘because I said so!’ Thankfully that has changed a bit, but it does seem to me that a lot of peoplearestill striving for obedience from their children. Or at least that a lot of people expect you to be. The mother in the shopping centre with a screaming child can expect glares and ‘control your child’ comments from passersby. As if children aren’t their own person but more like possessions to be controlled.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by tobechi74: 12:36am On Jun 19, 2017
That your parenting should be judged on how well your children behave, how quiet they are, how obedient they appear. That somehow the tighter grip you have on them, the more you are able to influence them and they will turn into a respectable adult.
And so ‘talking back’ is ok with me (as long as it’s not rudely).
Asking me why they can’t do something is ok with me.
Trying to negotiate with me is OK

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by tobechi74: 12:36am On Jun 19, 2017
Disagreeing with me is ok.
Big feelings are ok with me, and not something to be frustrated about.
By reacting this way I am teaching them that no matter if someone is bigger, older, or more powerful, it’s ok to question or stand up for what you think is right. That you can also do this in a polite and respectful way. That often things still don’t go your way and how to deal with that. If instead I chose to enforce behaviour with punishment, never let them question me, or didn’t help them with their big emotions, then how would they learn to deal with these situations in the future? How would that effect our relationship? Would they feel valued, respected, and important? Or would they feel powerless?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by tobechi74: 12:37am On Jun 19, 2017
want my children to grow up to be ‘obedient’ adults, who give in to peer pressure, who are afraid to voice their opinion. Nor do I want them to grow up thinking that the way we interact with people younger than us is by coercion and control. Children are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. They can handle simple age appropriate explanations for things. They deserve reasons for our actions. I doubt I would be happy to do something I didn’t want to do if the only reason I was given was ‘because I said so’. I can extend the same courtesy to my children

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by sarahade(f): 7:34am On Jun 19, 2017
On point. I've said it and will say it. I will never beat my children and no one can not even their father.

Beating them is useless and i think most people are just not matured enough to handle their frustration on their until they take it out on someone. Men especially God bless you for this write up.
Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by Nobody: 7:59am On Jun 19, 2017
sarahade:
On point. I've said it and will say it. I will never beat my children and no one can not even their father.

Beating them is useless and i think most people are just not matured enough to handle their frustration on their until they take it out on someone. Men especially God bless you for this write up.
there are certain things children would do that warrants beating...not mucha beating but something to remind them "they are wrong n you are the parent and they need stronger correction".

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by sarahade(f): 8:08am On Jun 19, 2017
DeGuyNxtDoor:
there are certain things children would do that warrants beating...not mucha beating but something to remind them "they are wrong n you are the parent and they need stronger correction".
Example please to get through to any child you have to gain their trust so they do whatever you say and you need to earn it and trust me beating will only make them hate you and pray you never come back home.
Sir just read a book on children psychology and you will see the world through their eyes.
Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by Nobody: 8:13am On Jun 19, 2017
sarahade:

Example please to get through to any child you have to gain their trust so they do whatever you say and you need to earn it and trust me beating will only make them hate you and pray you never come back home.
Sir just read a book on children psychology and you will see the world through their eyes.
you're right, I don't intend beating my kids tho but what if they go way too far
Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by teehamzat(m): 8:20am On Jun 19, 2017
sarahade:

True words,i dont even know how to beat, id rather punish, i have an uncle with 3 kids, 9,7 nd 4 yrs respectively, dis man has never laid hands on this kids, he only scares dem by shouting , only the mother does the beating, no wonder they are so attracted to the father,"i like my daddy than my mummy is always their ringtone". Lol

Children can be so fustrating at times, but using the rod at all times will create fear nd hatred,There are over a thousand nd one ways u could pass across a message to a child by sparing the rod smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by sarahade(f): 8:24am On Jun 19, 2017
DeGuyNxtDoor:
you're right, I don't intend beating my kids tho but what if they go way too far
You punish them by not taking them to their favourite spot or buying them something you promised them or reduce their allowance allowance just deprive them of something you know they like while you are doing all that just make sure they know why they are being punished trust me they will apologise and never do them again especially toddlers they can melt heart with their apology.
Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by Nobody: 8:28am On Jun 19, 2017
sarahade:

You punish them by not taking them to their favourite spot or buying them something you promised them or reduce their allowance allowance just deprive them of something you know they like while you are doing all that just make sure they know why they are being punished trust me they will apologise and never do them again especially toddlers they can melt heart with their apology.
lol...i actually intend to adopt that means of correction tho, it sounds like cool rather than beating em. I don't pray to have wayward kids tho smiley

BTW, are you married?
Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by sarahade(f): 8:33am On Jun 19, 2017
DeGuyNxtDoor:
lol...i actually intend to adopt that means of correction tho, it sounds like cool rather than beating em. I don't pray to have wayward kids tho smiley

BTW, are you married?
It's actually the best imagine coming home early because your children won't sleep until they see you rather than them running away whenever you are around or pretending to be asleep.

I'm not married yet smiley
Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by Darksider131: 8:37am On Jun 19, 2017
All i can say is

I dont want this shi*ty post to make FP

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by Nobody: 8:44am On Jun 19, 2017
Darksider131:
All i can say is

I dont want this shi*ty post to make FP

Seconded cheesy angry angry

1 Like

Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by Nobody: 8:54am On Jun 19, 2017
sarahade:

It's actually the best imagine coming home early because your children won't sleep until they see you rather than them running away whenever you are around or pretending to be asleep.

it has always been my dreams to know my children want to see me around them every time, I have vowed to be the best a father can be and that they will take me as a role model and that my wife will be proud of the kind of husband she married...and most importantly, that I never lack whatever my family are in need of. I don't ask for massive wealth, I only want my family and I to always be contented and living fine.

God knows what's best for us all my dear smiley

I actually thought u were married when u talked about toddlers melting hearts of their parents with their sweet ways of apologizing, you'll just feel like hugging them that instant with that innocent look all over their faces embarassed smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by Jay542(m): 9:07am On Jun 19, 2017
sarahade:

Beat them or not they'll still act that way sometimes. I dont know how growing up was for you but back then, i just didnt want to bring 'water to wash hand etc'
Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by NevetsIbot(m): 9:43am On Jun 19, 2017
Daddy gets home.. parks his car and horns to announce he's back.

Children : Daddy is back!!!!!

Packs all the toys, hide the disk collection, switch off the TV. pack the sega game console, packs books away. offload everything in the rooms. unlock the door and go inside to pretend you were inside your room.

Thats how I and my sister grew up. in fear of Dad.

I definitely don't want my kids to live in fear of me. you must obey everything to the letter. you're naive and stupid so you can only depend on me to make the right choices for you. you can't debate over topics with me. what I say is final and you must go with it. once you break any these rules.... "you're a bastard"

I don't want that!
Re: I Don't Want My Children To Be Obedient by Nigeriadondie: 12:12am On Jun 24, 2017
sarahade:

How u go marry? Who get sense to throway money on bride price to marry u cos u ve got no worth. After u don make what is private become public what will u leave for d man to marry u. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Watch Video Of The The First Man To Give Birth Successfully / Happy New Month, 2nd half gonna be a blast! / (photo)japanese Man Falls In Love And Marries His Human-like S£x Doll – See Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.